Utterly Abysmal

Answered

Comments

14 comments

I truly hope that the powers to be at Skylum are reading this comment. This general situation is becoming more and more prevalent. The program is working for me and I'm happy about that but it's concerning to me that so many people are having problems. I don't believe things have to be this way. C'mon developers, fix things that people are having issues with. Make things better for the people that have already bought into your company before pushing new products on them. In the long run this would be better for the longevity of your company.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment actions Permalink
    Elena Blum

Member ,

I definitely understand your concern. Please contact our support team https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to take a closer look at what’s going on right away.

No offence, but this is your stock response to every single complaint. I'm done jumping through hoops to get your software working. All of these issues have been common knowledge for months, as can be seen all over these forums, but no fix or update has been released. I've bought 4 applications from Topaz labs recently and all work flawlessly on both of my machines, as does every program in my Adobe CC suite, which is updated regularly. Unlike Luminar 4.

Luminar 4 has been abandoned when it never worked properly in the first place. You sold your customers a lie and now expect them to buy in to the AI project. Don't be surprised if a large majority abandon you in the same way you abandoned them.

Thanks Roy, but I've given up with it now. I really don't have the time or inclination to work through fixes or beta testing a 'test build' of a product that was commercially launched almost a year ago and still isn't fit for purpose.

I've found other software that fits my needs now. More importantly, it works too.

Shame, because when it did work, it was great, but they've lost me as a customer.

Cheers.

Skylum,

You really aren't listening, are you? It should be obvious to you that there are serious concerns with your product for a lot of people. If you don't really care then you should say that. You should say to all the people that don't have any problems that that's wonderful and if you are having problems, well, you're on your own. I've never seen a company be so uncaring about their clients satisfaction. Isn't it obvious to you that all these problems reside on your side of the equation? Perhaps you need to bring in a multitude of new programmers to get things done? You certainly have a list there of all the problems your clients are having. You seem to have forgotten that you took good people's money and now you're doing nothing to help them with their problems except to give them stock answers and no real help at all. Trust me, in the end this will doom your company. Word of mouth can and will get to the point where you will lose a tremendous amount of market share. And then what? Your doors will close and it will be your own fault. Be a better company. Fix people's problems instead of giving them lip service.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Cedric Simon

Hello,

I just bought Luminar 4, I found a nice price and I had read nice reviews...
    But... well... I did not expect the thing to be so slooww... it is nearly unusable, and when moving a cursor... you have to release the mouse to see the new setting being applied... My setup is a not so new 4790K but I run Lightroom (which is not known to be fast with no problems).

I tried to play with DNG files produced by my old Samsung S7. With Lightroom, I can get really nice results.
    I tried everything I can, "AI" or not, impossible to get a decent result. I get either terrible noise.. or a terribly soft photo.

Terrible experience so far... so I guess I'll go back to Lightroom and ask for a refund.

Helga Rowles

Hi Cedric!
    I'm sorry to hear that Luminar didn't live up to your expectations.

Would you mind contacting at skylum.com/support so we can see what can be done in order to make Luminar faster on your machine?

Cedric Simon

Hi Helga, thanks for your answer.
    As I was not able to get decent results with RAW files (DNG from my Samsung or ORF from my Olympus EM10), because either I get soft images, or noise everywhere... I decided to give it a try as a "plugin" from Lightroom. 

And here the results were far more convincing, I had the feeling the whole thing was faster and snappier.
    In this case, the main idea would be to use it only for its special, creative effects, and here it works well.

I had bad luck as the second sky replacement I tried failed, when I tried it on the RAW image, because of a white house on top of a hill... despite all my attempts, it wanted to believe the white was part of the sky. And using masks gave terrible results, and in this case, I'd better use Photoshop with easier masks.
    But I tried with the same image, but "developped" from Lightroom, and for some reason, now the white house is correctly detected, and I must say, as everyone else, I am amazed at how well it works!!

I thought that at some point it could replace my old Lightroom, but well, I guess it will only be used as a "special effect", as a plugin. As I paid a fair price ($47 + 20% VAT) I won't complain, and simply won't use it as a RAW development tool. 

I still would like it to be faster, so I'll try to contact the support, ok.

Cedric Simon

Followup: really funny, the form on the support page, after having clicked on the "send" button, is waiting, forever, with a spinning wheel... so I'll have to find an email address I guess :)

Cedric Simon

oh... ok... I searched the forum... and it is full of posts about the slowness of L4.. so I guess nothing can be done for now.
    We won't have updates as now the priority is Luminar AI... 

Helga Rowles

Thanks for your reply.

If Luminar works faster when used as a Lightroom plugin, it's likely that the performance can be improved by working in a smaller catalog. You can create a new catalog via File > Catalog > New.

Regarding a support request, please make sure to scroll down the questions, choose Click here, describe the issue you're facing (you can also attach a link to this post) and choose Contact Support. 

Cedric Simon

Thanks for your answer... but.. well.. my catalog is empty, I have only edited... three images so far!!
    And for the support, I did exactly what you described.

But there is no hope, I mean, I have read dozens of comments, and they all say the same thing, so I guess I'll have to leave with the slow performance; I'll only really use it to replace skies or add sun rays anyway, so it is ok...  

Darryl Brooks

Cedric, the sky bleeding into other areas is just another bug we have been complaining about since day one. You get the stock answer about contacting support as if there is something that can be changed on my end rather than fixing the software. 

Of course, when they announced AI, I gave up on any meaningful updates. They never came for version 3. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.