If Luminar AI is not an upgrade will there be a Luminar 5? What Happens to our photo catalogs if not?

Answered

Comments

31 comments

Roy Blackwell

Following two links should help. Note, Skylum has stated that Luminar AI will not read and/or convert a Luminar 4 catalog. They further stated Luminar AI is not an upgrade to Luminar 4 and there will be no Luminar 5. Support for Luminar 4 will cease roughly one year after the release of Luminar AI. That said, Luminar 4 will continue to work as long as OS updates do not render it inoperable. 

FAQ
    https://skylum.com/luminar-faq/ai/general

CEO Alex Tsepko Comment
    https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009673340-where-is-the-roadmap-for-Luminar4?page=1#community_comment_360002146140

Comment actions Permalink
    Elena Blum

Hi Shawn,

As Roy has mentioned, at the moment we have no plans to release an upgrade for Luminar 4, but we are planning to ship free updates for the program for another year. Since Luminar AI is a new program, the catalog from Luminar 4 will not be able to migrate there. You will need to create a new one.

Erhard Markscheffel

Skylum currently still sells Luminar 4, but on the product page of Luminar 4 there is no mention that you are buying a dying horse.

The product policy of Skylum is absolutely unacceptable and scandalous!

Anastasia Davis

Erhard Markscheffel Hi! Please note that we will continue shipping updates. Thus, we will keep on supporting the software.

Andreas Brodow

@Anastasia isn't it true that you will only support Luminar 4 with updates for 12 months?

Roy Blackwell

Andreas Brodow: Skylum has stated 12 months after the release of Luminar AI which is expected some time in December.

Andreas Brodow

Roy Blackwell Yes, and they should be clear about that when you buy Luminar 4. There is no mention on the product page for Luminar 4 that it is in reality a dead product and will not be supported in about 14 months.

Matt Orth

It would be informative to know how many upgrades they released for Luminar 3 after Luminar 4 replaced Luminar 3.

Shawn Gano

Matt Orth - Interesting question- I had a license for Luminar 3 and so I just went back to my account and downloaded their "latest" version 3. It looks like there was at least one version (3.2) which was released after version 4.   So yeah there probably won't be many updates for v4 after AI either; but hopefully it will get an update or two.  However, at least in the V3 to V4 case the next version could still import your previous catalogs; in this case it is the end of the line (and I agree they should tell new customers this as others have mentioned above).  

Bob Colclough

I was considering the idea of migrating fully to Luminar 4 or even Luminar AI, and I have indeed already purchased Luminar 4. However, the approach with Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 means I will not go further down this route. I want to use a mainstream product that can last 5 or 10 years - and if the product is superseded, then I would expect a smooth migration process to the replacement product. Lightroom implicitly provides this, Skylum/Luminar do not. Goodbye!

Glenn Gambel

I was considering migrating from Luminar 4 to Luminar AI but now that I know that I can not do that.  I believe that I shall ultimately give up on Luminar and go back to Lightroom where I know that upgrades will continue and my photos and edits can be stored.  I want to use a product that will last, be supported, and allow for smooth migration when the product is superseded or upgraded.  I now find that is not the case with Luminar.  When Luminar 4 no longer runs or is dropped for updates by Skylum, I will be saying goodbye.  I can not recommend this product to anyone because of these policies toward consumers.  Moreover, marketing excuses do not cut it. 

I am no longer making excuses for Luminar.

Tony Vischraper

Skylum, your marketing strategy is deceptive, at best and downright dishonourable at worst. I moved to L4 when you came out with cataloguing capabilities. I was about to move to Lightroom from L3, but when you came out with libraries in L4 I committed myself to that!

Apparently, your commitment to your customers is not reciprocal. I highly suggest you change your ways. I for one will never again recommend you to anyone, as I have done many times over the past few years.  I'm done with you guys. Moved on to Capture One.

Over and OUT!

Mike Leslie

The lies and deceptions of this company is horrendous, how do customers support them.  It is time for them to put out a product that one can use with support and upgrades (not new product, that add a couple features).  I think it is time for in the US that States Attorneys investigate them for consumer fraud.

Ian Barrett

Not even being able to import catalogues from a previous version seems strange.  I was about to buy Luminar 4, but I'll have to reconsider.

Margaret Bright

Hi Ian,

Please note that the catalogs from the previous versions can be migrated to the upgraded versions. For example, the Luminar 3 catalog can be easily migrated to Luminar 4.

But since Luminar AI is not an upgrade to Luminar 4 or any other version of Luminar (but a brand new software), it will not be able to open and migrate catalogs from these applications.

Bob Colclough

Of course, everyone will now think that in a year or two there won't be an upgrade to Luminar AI, you will simply start selling a different piece of "brand new software". 

You could have had the revenue from your new investment in Luninar AI if you had included a Luminar 4 Catalogue import capability.

Now you've destroyed customer trust. 

Take a look a Sonos. For company survival the company had to change its initial approach that left older products at a dead-end - just like you have done.

You have taken a poor decision in this case. There is time to change course. Swallow your pride and change now.

Russell Webb

Hi, I didn't upgrade from Luminr 3 to 4 because it really did not seem to have anything else to give except auto sky replacement but I kept seeing all the hype about Luminar AI being thrown out from the Youtube tribe (you no who they are if you ever watch) and then I came and saw this thread and if IMO you go over to the Topaz user forum you will see the the same kind of comments when it comes to changeing the name of the product because it has something a little differant, many years ago Topaz said updates where for life but now they renamed there products and that statement has been swept under the carpet with differant excuses. This from Skylum smacks of the same story line, don't make it an upgrade so those who are already customers can get a smaller discount than the pre launch price and then try and blackmail those customers by not updateing the softwear they already own after another year. Happy now that I didn't upgrade to Luminar 4.

Tim Woodcock

I agree with Bob Colclough '...you've destroyed customer trust.'  A great shame.

I was about to ditch Capture One and re-catalog my library when Skylum announced they've changed direction and stopped Luminar 4 development, including the catalog feature. Lucky escape for me. I'll stick with Capture One and warn fellow photographers that Skylum has a poor track record for legacy and owner support and aren't worthy of investment.

One wonders whether all those photographers, who helped with Skylum software development, think it's a good thing to leave their fellows high and dry like this? 

Matt R

Oh wow. This is totally ridiculous. I just bought Luminar 4 in a Humble Bundle, and now it's going to be a dead product? I was hoping that Luminar AI would be a free upgrade to Luminar 4. But it seems that Skylum is another cash grab company that practices deceptive marketing from everything that I've just read. I guess I'll head on back over to Adobe Lightroom. Shame on you Skylum. You need to rethink your practices or you'll be filing bankruptcy before you know it. Definitely not how you run a business. 

Okay so Luminar AI is a brand new software and it's a different line-up to Luminar 4 but Luminar 4 will be no longer updated? What? And Luminar 4 catalogues cannot be imported to Luminar AI but Luminar 4 will be no longer updated? What the heck? What are you thinking lol

Markus Scheilen

Installed it yesterday, was realy happy. It was advertised as a new step for Luminar. There was no hint in the advertising that it is NOT an upgrade to version 4 and that there is NO way to import a catalog to AI. That is a fraud on customers!

I should do the whole work in AI again in a new catalog?? Are you seroius??

Sitting here and can't believe it. Disappointment is the most polite thing I feel right now.

I will write now in Facebook a post to warn my community about that fact.

That drives me back into the arms of Adobe Lightroom! Here I can trust that the software will develop in a way that is compatible with older versions.

Michael H

Hi,

I too came from the Humble Bumble deal and upgraded to Lumina4 and was going to buy AI but after reading al this, I am not going to waste my time either with no upgrade or import path, this is a really poor decision and I vehemently agree with the others, change path's or loose a lot of faithful customers, thank god I found this thread before I opted for the Bundle offer in my e-mail.

Very saddened here.

Helena Carter

Hi Markus Scheilen, Michael H,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please, reach out via https://skylum.com/support so we could look into your individual cases and see what we can do.

Louis Pengue

I share the opinions of many others in being very disappointed at the lack of a migration path for L4. I’ve had Luminar 2018, 3 and 4. I am pleased with L4 and would pay for an UPGRADE!! But I’m not interested in starting over with editing. I chose Luminar as my replacement for Aperture, and looked closely at Capture One and Lightroom. Looks like a made the wrong choice. I have a large library of edited photos, which now seem as they are on their way to obsolescence. 

Skylum, how about giving some support to your long term users???

Tony Vischraper

Louis Pengue

Skylum’s support for long term users is non existent. Never has existed, and probably never will exist. Skylum is all about duping new customers into their cult of flashy toys, only to abandon them for the next batch of innocents. I’ve purchased virtually all their software from when they were known as Macphun, and every time, they’ve simply dropped the ball on some very excellent programs, with the promise of some bright and shiny new toy. With the coming demise of L4, I’ve left the cult of Skylum and moved on to more stable, much more reputable products such as Capture One and Adobe. The lack of disappointment, and complete reliability easily makes up for the very slight increase in average yearly cost. 

Darrin Horikawa

I agree, and to put salt in the wound Skylum, since we were loyal, they are offering us a whopping $10.00 discount on AI that we can’t even use our existing files on. What a freaking joke!

Christian Poulton

I’m in the same boat as you Louis. Last year I took the plunge and migrated my entire Apple Aperture library over to Luminar 4 using the excellent app Avalanche from Cyme. When Luminar AI was announced I was an early bird buyer thinking, wrongly, that this would be an upgrade to Luminar 4, or at the very least that you would be able to migrate over Luminar 4 libraries. This turns out not to be the case. I was left dumbfounded.

Cyme have publicly stating that they will be able to offer migration from Luminar 4 to Luminar AI with their app in the very near future which I thought that I would use to move my library to the latest platform, however the latest bombshell from Luminar regarding the library within Luminar AI has totally dissuaded me from this path. Along with the reduced functionality of the Luminar AI library, which I really thought and hoped would be temporary, and their comments on its very limited intended use has rung alarm bells for me. How stable is this library? Skylum obviously don’t want us to really use it, and if so, only for a handful of images at a time.

I suspect that there is a fundamental issue with the library within Luminar AI and that if it was fully populated with hundreds of images (or thousands as most photographers have) the library would fail and Luminar know this. Rather than develop a stable and efficient library module they would rather stick with old and probably buggy code and concentrate on the AI editing side of the application.

Currently, with what Skylum are saying themselves, there is no way that I’m going to migrate my library of thousands of images over to Luminar AI. Indeed the library within Luminar AI isn’t really fit for purpose and just on that alone I wouldn’t do it.

I’m now in limbo. I do like some of the editing tools in Luminar AI and indeed would be reluctant to use something else, but I’m now stuck with an editing tool and no image library. Of course I still have Luminar 4, but we all now that this is effectively end of life.

I do feel massively let down by Skylum, who I’ve supported for a number of years and now have to think about moving yet again to another application.

Christian Poulton

Just to add, check out this blog post from 2017!

https://skylum.com/blog/luminar-future

it all sounds so good....

Tony Vischraper

I can see the day where lawsuits become the norm, and Skylum will be no longer. Sad … there was so much potential. No longer. You’ve lost your way, Skylum, Luminar, Macphun, or whatever moniker you guys will come up with next in order to divert attention from your past missteps! Good luck - you’re going to need it! 

Please sign in to leave a comment.