Comments

39 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Barry,

That is true. We’ve added a new Local Adjustment tool that lets you solve the problems that many rely on layers for. With it, you can make specific adjustments for individual areas or people. You can overlay textures or make targeted adjustments. Local adjustments are also easier to sync with multiple photos and can be stored in a LuminarAI Template. The Local Adjustment tool eliminates the need for complex layers, bringing results and performance without clutter.

I invite you to check out the FAQ section at https://skylum.com/luminar-ai (the link to the FAQs is near the bottom of the page). If you have any followup questions, just let us know!

Comment actions Permalink
    Taeyong Lee

Dear Angela.

I read your comment and install my AI

I used layers in Liminar 4 and I apply each layer with different Luminar Looks

for example, 

I use 4 layer

1st layer - AI Enhaner 50%

2nd layer - Portrait filer - my own preset

3rd layer - Shinagawa Solid - Tokyo portrait - Skylum Signiture preset - I Purchsed 

4th layer - what I want to apply for photo for color or mood.

But, I check Luminar AI there is only one template I can use, I cannot apply multiple template. 

Is there any way to ues muliple template on my photo using Luminar AI?

Elena O'Brien

Hi Taeyong Lee

I am afraid that the only way to apple multiple templates is to duplicate your photo after you have edited once.

Right now, there is no feature to use multiple templates. Thank you for understanding!

Zdenek Rajgl

How can I place a signature in the picture without additional layers. With the help of the local mask? Thanks for a suggestion. Kind regards Zdenek

Hadrian Robinson

Yikes. The lack of layers is a disaster! I'm going to have to keep applying my adjustments, saving back to photoshop, and then relaunching the Luminar AI plugin to add further templates/Looks.

Who thought removing layers was a good idea? 

Brian Evans

I work a lot with layers and am very surprised that they have removed this feature. To keep duplicating the photo as mentioned above doesn't seem that practical. I now feel I've purchased a downgrade from Luminar 4.

Elena Blum

Hi Zdenek Rajgl,

There is a workaround for adding a watermark in LuminarAI . Go to the Augmented SkyAI tool located in the Creative tab, simply click on the dropdown menu to choose an object to add, then scroll all the way down to Load Custom Image as shown here: https://prnt.sc/w0lg2j

This way, you will be able to apply watermarks to your photos.

Elena Blum

Hi Hadrian Robinson, Brian Evans,

One of the changes in LuminarAI is the switch from layers to a Local Adjustments tool and smart segmentation of our AI-powered tools.

While many feel that layers, masks and selections are the only way to work, they can really slow you down. 

Most of our tools make selections for you thanks to Artificial Intelligence. While we offer masking for every tool, you won’t need it 95% of the time. AI perfectly handles the segmentation and application of tools to just the right areas.

We’ve added a new Local Masking tool that lets you solve the problems that many rely on layers for. With it, you can make specific adjustments for individual areas or people. You can overlay textures or make targeted adjustments. Local masks are also easier to sync with multiple photos and can be stored in a LuminarAI Template. The Local Masking tool eliminates the need for complex layers, bringing results and performance without clutter.

Brian Evans

Hi Elena

Thanks for your reply. I've now found the local masking tool (and Gradient) it'll take some getting used to but I can see how it works.

BTW just to bring to your attention upload to 500px doesn't work.

Brian

Teresa Martin

Missing layers is a DISASTER for us - I'VE JUST DISCOVERED THAT THIS FEATURE IS GONE.

I need to merge two images (say top of one, bottom from another) how can I do that in Luminar AI?

Teresa Martin

Further to this previous recommendation: "Go to the Augmented SkyAI tool located in the Creative tab, simply click on the dropdown menu to choose an object to add, then scroll all the way down to Load Custom Image as shown here: https://prnt.sc/w0lg2j" For me the Augmented SkyAI tool is all greyed out and there are no options to select. 

Simone Perria

Maybe I couldn't understand properly all the comments I've read till now, but how can I use the blend tool without a layer feature?

Thanks,

Simone

Hadrian Robinson

Hi Elena Blum,

Unfortunately, local adjustments/masks are not a replacement for layers. What you're doing with local adjustments and masking are fine, but I think the most obvious omission in Luminar AI is the fact that you can no longer stack Looks/Templates; masking does not get around this issue. For example, in Luminar 4 I often choose a Look based on how it renders a certain element/subject within my photo. From there I mask the Look onto the element/subject. Once I've done that, I often repeat this step -- create a new layer, choose a new Look, and mask the Look on any other remaining elements/subjects I want affected.

Elena, layers do not slow me, or other professional users, down. Layers do, however, slow previous versions of Luminar down. I strongly suspect that Skylum's recent marketing, which promotes the removal of layers within Luminar AI as a “feature”, is due more to sloppy programming than anything else.

Looking at the history of Macphun/Skylum’s software, the reality is that Luminar 3 and 4 are poorly written and optimized software. There were, and still are, huge glitches and bugs plaguing these versions. Skylum has never properly addressed major slowdowns, despite claims of increased performance going from Luminar 3 to 4, for example. As you’ve also alluded to, layers cause major slowdowns; however, this is not the fault of the user, but the fault of the programming.

Ironically, Luminar 4 currently has a bug where an image won't save if you are using multiple layers; as soon as more than one layer is used, the image hangs when you try to save. Elena, your own Skylum forums are rife with people complaining about this issue, and the best Skylum can offer is to say that Skylum acknowledges the bug, but can't provide an ETA for a fix! So, I can’t use layers in that program, either!!!

So, you see, Skylum can't even get existing software to work as intended with layers (over and above the longstanding slow down issues).

I'm really disappointed that Skylum is approaching the removal of layers as if it's some sort of breakthrough and/or revelation for performance gains and ease of photo editing. Skylum has removed an important, useful, and professional feature, and you're trying to sell it as if that's a win for all.

I’m upset because I’ve invested a lot of time, money, and energy integrating Skylum’s software into my workflow. I use Luminar 3 & 4 in conjunction with Lightroom Classic and Photoshop, and I’ve endured the bugs, slowdowns, and other teething issues, with these programs because there are some really great features within them. However, I am getting really fed up now; the layer-bug in Luminar 4 created a huge issue for me on a recent project, and now Luminar AI has removed something I (and I’m sure a lot of other professionals) use and need.

Margaret Bright

Hi guys,

There's another way to add a layer - within the Local Masking tool:

We also have a video tutorial that may be useful: https://youtu.be/TumoVTFhcIg 

Teresa Martin

I think Hadrian Robinson has articulated the problem perfectly (above). I feel I have been mis-sold as to what Luminar AI REALLY is. On first use it seems to be a poor subset of Luminar functionality - and without layers it is in fact useless for us. We will be asking for a refund.

Juan Jaramillo

I just downloaded last night and been looking for the layers option since just to realize that there is non. Next time you try to do a AI software let the AI design it.

We need layers. What a disappointment! 

Steve Rode

Wow, no layers - seriously?  That's not good - I just purchased this for my son for his Birthday and layers is his most commonly used tool, seems like a huge miss in design.  Combining images is what he likes to use the tool for.  If there's a work around to do this withing AI some youtube videos would be great.   

Taeyong Lee

Dear Margaret.

Local Adjustment is useful.

But not replace Layer function.

Above my work flow is needed Layers

and I want to apply multiple template and lagecy looks in Luminar AI with multiple layers for one photo.

Removing Layer is for good beginer or newbie photographer.

Professional or my pro level amateur photographer need layer

As you know your competitor Adobe, ON1 also use AI function and also has Laye function too.

So removing layer is bad decison and it looks make faster Luminar Speed.

Above Robinson's comment.

Sarah J L

Whilst I understand that Local adjustments is practical for painting on effects etc it is no replacement for a layers function. I need to replace labels in photos using precise masking and layers. This is an essential part of my workflow and means that I will still need to use a separate software to do this. 

Very disappointing for me and a frankly incomprehensible move from Skylum as the feature was present in Luminar 4 !?

Wilbert Maximus

This missing layer function is not very practical, adding different templates on top of each other would be great like we could in Luminar 4.
    Also, templates bought before are not ranked anymore and became a long list...
    Going back and forward via Affinity / Photoshop layers is also very slow, Skylum Luminar AI needs to start all the time because it does not stay opened  is not cashed in the background, it slows down the process seriously.

Colin Pett

Sad there are no layers, I used them on most photo edits. Back to LUM 4, what a waste of money Ai is. 

Kevin Schuchmann

Lack of Layers is really a step backwards and dumbing down the software. Yes, I use the new tools but they are no replacement for being able to use layers to create effects using the same tools in different parts of an image. For example, fog on the bottom and mist on the top. Bad choice. I've been with you from the get-go and probably have every single application you've sold. 

From what I see, the lack of layers eliminates the possibility of using the same tools with different changes except for minor tweaks.

Here's another example. Let's say I have a red barn and also a red car. I can change the colors of these two objects at the same level but I cannot change change the shade of one and also the color hue without applying the first change and then reopening the photo again to make the second change.

Bruce Maeda

I agree with the previous comments.  I will add that if layers may slow some users down, they don't need to use them. There are many other features in Luminar that also go unused.  However, for those of us who rely on layers, they should be available.  Try editing the faces of multiple people in a portrait with the new Local Adjustments, especially the Portrait tools.  Oh, you can't!  

Is having to close and reopen an image any quicker than using layers?  And reopening the image reopens a jpg, not a RAW file.

I've been using Luminar since the beginning.  Unless changes are made to let me fully edit my images, this will be the last version of Luminar I purchase (Luminar 4 will be the last version I use).  With many other options available, it's time to begin looking for a tool that will allow me to get the finished product my customers want.

Barry Buehler

100% agree.  Skylum has jumped the shark with Luminar AI..   When they stop updating plain old Luminar, they are through as a player in any kind of serious post-processing.  Luminar AI was way oversold and over-promised.  Where is the AI for the tough stuff, like masking (see for example, ON1 RAW AI masking for REAL AI) ?  They have implemented AI for the easy stuff.

David Pruett

I bought Luminar AI on release, played with it a while and decided it was kind of a "dumbed down" version for people who mostly just wanted to add a preset, and went back to Luminar 4. Then I found out that there would be no Luminar 5 and Luminar 4 would eventually no longer be supported, so I had to get to know AI.

Unfortunately, my initial evaluation is proving more true the more I learn about AI. I had purchased some 40 collection of Looks and created dozens of my own. These all got dumped into "Legacy Templates" with no rhyme or reason—just one long random list. I didn't memorize the name of every look and, even if I had, there is no order to the hundreds of looks in the list. I paid Skylum for those Collections, and they have effectively rendered them useless in AI.Don't they owe it to the people who paid for them to upgrade the Collections and Looks to be fully compatible with and organized in AI? Adobe did that when they changed the format of Lightroom templates. Every LR template that I ever bought, was given, or created transferred flawlessly to LR (and ACR) preserving all structure and functionality. 

Then I discovered the no layers issue. My jaw dropped at the responses here from the Skylum staff. "Use local Adjustments." "Layers slow you down." Spoken by people who don't know much about editing. Layers are an incredibly powerful tool that Ai is not close to replacing.

I am not sure who the target audience is for AI, but apparently it is not me. I haven't used On1 since Luminar came out, but it's time to take a new look. From what I have seen, they have continued to build the power and flexibility of the program, not removed features for their own convenience.

John Weddel

Very disappointed that layers didn't come with AI version.  Sure you can local mask with a texture (photo) but doesn't have the feature to resize and/or move as in Luminar 4. It seems that software people don't understand or care how people actually use their product. Had I known, I wouldn't have purchased AI. 

Agatha Winter

Hi John,

Sorry to hear that you're unhappy with Luminar AI.

Kindly note that with Update 2, we've added new creative abilities to Local Masking tool. The Texture tool now offers advanced controls to transform texture and image overlays.

New overlay elements can be easily moved, flipped, rotated, resized and placed anywhere you want. There are even blending modes and masks to precisely control how the object interacts with the original image.

David Pruett

I'm sorry to see that no one at Skylum seems to understand that Local Adjustments and the Texture tools replace only a small fraction often functionality of layers. 

Kirk Christ

I would also like to register my disappointment/anger over losing adjustment layers in Luminar A!. For those of us who grew up on Photoshop, this what-seems-like-a-coding compromise doesn't cut it. If I had known this was going to happen I would not have upgraded. Please return layers in an update. 

I purchased this for layers as a quick google search claimed Luminar AI had it, but I tricked myself with misinformation. :-( I need to combine 2 photos. I'm trying to figure out placement of an item, and the software doesn't need to be glorious as it is a mock up. Maybe there is a free cloud based app I can use. Hopefully I can get a lot of use out of the software for other photography needs. But overall feeling disappointed.

Please sign in to leave a comment.