Upgrade To Luminar 4

Answered

Comments

11 comments

• Official comment
    Anastasia Davis

Hi @AT! We can extend your trial so you could test Luminar 4 more. Please reach our support team with the following info:

1. Download this application: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4zp53c0fj7cjp5/ViewHID%20%28new%29.exe?dl=0 
    2. Launch it.
    3. Copy HID1 and HID2 codes from the application's window and send them to us.

With this info, we'll be able to reset your trial.

Send the info to support@skylum.com

As for Luminar 4, we will keep on shipping updates at least for another year.
    As for supported cameras, you can check them here:

https://media.macphun.com/uploads/uploads/Luminar_4.1.0_Supported_Cameras.pdf 

Comment actions Permalink
    Marcus Stursberg

Just read the posts and comments of the community and staff over the last days. It will give a pretty clear picture.

Besides that, patience for photo development is only required for Luminar 3/4. And many many people still wait for the promised speed and stability improvements which were announced already last year. But nothing major happened so far.

Instead, Luminar 4 is discontinued and a new product is announced which will not (as far as currently known) focus on photo development and is not targeted to be a Lightroom/CO Pro/ON 1/etc. replacement. 

There will be "support" for Luminar 4 for another year after the new product launched. But that probably means only small bug fixes if required.

Matt Orth

Luminar 4 is a dead end.  It will get some compatibility and performance (using the term loosely) upgrades for a year, then it will be abandoned.  Take it off your list. 

AT

As I said, I am not a professional photographer but an amateur newbie. I dont like the speed and performance of Luminar 3 but I can tolerate it for sure. What I like is that once I get the license, I can use the software till whatever time without someone forcing me to buy a new one. I dont have the money/interest to spend few hundred dollars per year on subscriptions. I like the features I saw in Luminar 3 (despite its issues) and I want to give Luminar 4 a try. After looking around many trials/softwares in last few weeks, I think Luminar works for me based on its price and features. If I get Luminar 4 and dont like any future upgrades, I can just keep on using it as long as it is stable.

Thank you for your time.

Marcus Stursberg

It is a dead end because Skylum decided so. There will be no successor or major updates, there is a new, different product lineup.

I understand your position, same applies to me. But the suggestion would be to wait for Sylums new product range or have a look somewhere else (there are products with a similar price structure out there)

AT

I did not realize that there would be no more updates on Luminar 4. That would suck for sure.

Can you tell me few of such products? I can definitely try and compare them before deciding on one.

Gary Bowen

I like L3 more than L4 as it is layed out in an easily understandable UI. L3 has almost everything in L4 with minor exceptions such as sky replacement. L3 allows you to make a custom workflow menu system (which is great!) but not in L4.

L3 was moving more toward Lightroom 6 but L4 is leaning toward Topaz. The announced Luminar AI sounds like Skylum is aimed at Topaz.

Marcus Stursberg

I myself went for capture one pro as luminar 4 did not provide the promised feature and performance updates. It is expensive, but the first tests convinced me.

There is also on1 in a similar price range as luminar 4. You could also have a look at darktable which is for free.

Affinity photo now also offers a raw development toolset which is also not bad.

And all are blazingly fast compared to Luminar 4.
    Even for a hobbyist, you will quickly appreciate the massive performance an resources boost, other products provide.

พี่เสือ (Juergen)

AT

I have the trial of Dxo Photolab at the moment. I like this program because you can choose if you want store your edits in database or in sidecars (or use both) . The editing is really fast and makes fun to use it.

AT

@Anastasia Davis I had 3 tabulated questions. You answered one and the second goes to a link that does not exist (I also asked if it does not, will the support be added later) and completely skipped over the third question. I dont know why there is such a rush to make a question answered without actually completely answering it. I do understand people's frustration now.

Matt Orth

Like Marcus, I’m using Capture One and really like it.  But it’s not a budget program.  Fortunately, I’m at the stage in my life where I don’t have to count every penny, but I do remember those days!  When I was a Canon shooter I used the free Canon software, it was pretty good, did everything I needed as an amateur.  Not all of the camera makers’ software gets a lot of love, though. 

I also used Photoshop Elements, a “light” version of photoshop.  I haven’t seen it for years, can’t say what it’s like now,  but it’s only $59.99 at B&H.  Again, it did pretty much everything an amateur like me needs. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.