Luminar AI? What about Luminar 4?

Answered

Comments

15 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi R R,

Luminar AI is a brand new product. It is not an upgrade to Luminar 4. We are, however, offering a loyalty discount that can be accessed here: https://skylum.com/checkout/luminar-ai/cu-b. I highly recommend checking out the FAQ at https://skylum.com/luminar-ai for more information (the FAQ link is toward the bottom of the page).

Nevertheless, we are still actively working on Luminar 4 and plan to ship compatibility and performance updates for Luminar 4 for another year after Luminar AI is released. We won’t charge anything for these updates.

I hope that answers some of your questions. If you have any followup questions after reviewing the FAQ, please don't hesitate to ask.

Comment actions Permalink
    Robert Davidson

Why another new program? I've been waiting for over 1 year for work flow improvements to Luminar 4? In fact I requested these improvements back in Luminar 3! And now L4 will stop being developed! I've bought every program from Skylum but feel cheated now that Luminar 4 will not be developed and all that time and development has gone into a new program. 

Margaret Bright

Hi Robert,

Please note that we do ship new products / versions every 12-24 months. Being our loyal customer for years, I am sure that have already noticed it yourself as well. These versions are optional, but they offer new features, new workflows, new benefits. All the versions you currently own remain functional.

I would like to point out once more that we're not abandoning Luminar 4. We plan to ship free compatibility and performance updates for Luminar 4 for another year after Luminar AI is released. We normally address a number of critical issues in each update.

I am truly sorry to hear that you feel cheated right now - it was never our intention to make you feel this way. We would like to do our best to make this situation better for you somehow and sincerely thank you for sticking with our software for many years. We'd appreciate it if you could get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support. I am sure our team will be able to come up with some kind of solution for you.

Matt Orth

“We plan to ship free compatibility and performance updates for Luminar 4 for another year after Luminar AI is released.”

One year.  Sure, you can keep the software forever, but don’t buy a new unsupported camera.  Don’t ask for a print module.  Don’t ask for any of the features that L4 (and L3 before it) is lacking and some rep wrote “we’ll consider that for a future upgrade”.   Cuz no more future upgrades. 

You can always wait a year for LuminarAI2 to be released....

Robert Davidson

Margaret, If I contact tech support will their solution for me be that they can add the feature I've been waiting for since Luminar 3 came out? 

Geoffrey Hahn

I hate to say it, but I can't really trust that Skylum will keep its word regarding continued development of Luminar 4.   I mean, I'm still waiting for promised updates to Luminar 3 that still haven't shipped.  The new product sounds interesting.  I might purchase sometime in the future.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Geoffrey! Please note that we have been shipping Luminar 3 performance updates as well as adding new features. Thus, we kept our promises. Thus, we will continue to work on Luminar 4.

Matt Orth

L3 “updates” plural? 3.2.0 was eight months ago, and added Canon raw support, faster looks preview, and fixed a lot of crashes. Not exactly a lot of new features.

Liebe Mitarbeiter von Skylum, bitte, bitte hören Sie doch auf, UNS KUNDEN immer wieder die selben leeren Versprechen zu machen, die sie bisher auch nicht gehalten haben. Es ist lächerlich, wenn Sie schreiben, dass sie Luminar 3 durch updates verbessert hätten. Schauen Sie doch bitte mal nach, wie oft sie updates, die sich IHRE KUNDEN gewünscht haben, auch ausgeliefert haben...

Und mit Luminar 4 ging es so weiter. Kein Mensch wollte jemals Giraffen oder Planten im Bild einfügen. Wir wollten eine Implementierung von anderen Dingen, wie z. Bsp. IPTC/EXIF, Kamera-Objektivprofile, Stabilität des Programms, Geschwindigkeit auf Branchenstandard-Niveau und vieles mehr. UNSERE Wünsche wurden nicht umgesetzt.

Sie glauben immer noch, dass Sie IHREN Kunden sagen können, was WIR brauchen und wollen. Sie müssen endlich mal anfangen und UNS zuhören! Sie bringen immer wieder nicht weiter entwickelte, unfertige und fehlerhafte Programme auf den Markt, auf denen IHRE KUNDEN sitzen bleiben, die WIR bezahlt haben und den Anspruch erheben, dass diese Programme funktionieren, und weiter entwickelt werden.

Hier mal eine Reihe der Programme, die Sie in den letzten 2 Jahren auf den Markt gebracht haben und sukzessive den Kunden im Stich gelassen haben:

Luminar 2018, Luminar Flex, Luminar 3, Luminar 4, Air Magic, Photolemur...

Alles Programmleichen, an denen sie verdient haben, IHRE KUNDEN aber den Schaden akzeptieren sollen.

Ich gehe davon aus, dass keiner von Ihnen Fotograf ist. Sie haben keine Ahnung von Fotografie und von Workflows, auf denen WIR FOTOGRAFEN uns einstellen, bzw. den WIR bevorzugen. Lernen Sie hinzu, hören Sie Ihren KUNDEN endlich mal zu, denn wenn Sie weiter so abgehoben weiter machen, werden Ihnen alle Kunden abspringen.

Helga Rowles

Hi Member,
    Please let me share our CEO's reply regarding EXIF ​​/ IPCT processing:
    https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009673340-where-is-the-roadmap-for-Luminar4?page=1#community_comment_360002146140

If this functionality is crucial for you, and you don't enjoy Luminar without these features, you can request a refund at skylum.com/support

Ich kenne die Stellungnahme von Hr. Tsepko. Darum geht es aber hier nicht!

Mit ihrer Stellungnahme zeigen Sie einfach nur, dass Sie einfach IHREN KUNDEN nicht zuhören wollen.

Jiri Pilar

Skylum with Luminar 3, Luminar 4 a now with Luminar AI cheated on his customers.

Skylum disappointed loyal paying users. We thought that by purchasing unfinished and very difficult to use software, we support the development of an interesting new product.. But this is not the case. Skylum deliberately misled us. From the my point of view and criminal law, it can be assessed as a criminal offense of fraud. Every company has the right to change the business plan when it sees its original goal (complete DAM and editing software). and he has the right to change the goal and focus on another advantage.

We definitely forgave Skylum for the first time and maybe in the case of Luminar 4.

But Skylum did not understand vekoryost thinking that our generosity is a successful business model and will try to sell us Luminar AI. Another application that you run once a month. its icon sits in the application folder next to Luminar 3, Luminar 4 and only takes up disk space.

We would understand everything, all we had to do was apologize and treat loyal users transparently and tell the truth. But the paid "reviews" on many photoblogs without a single excuse and free for current customers speak clearly. marketing based on lies and scams that kill a good original idea.

Jiri Pilar

I don't want Luminar and Skylum to kill unethical "strategic decision-making" and mass lawsuits would be a shame. but in principle I will strongly urge you not to buy Luminar AI, it may be a good attempt at interesting software, but as long as Skylum is betting on lies and customer fraud, it will not be ethically possible for many users to support this project.

Steve DIsenhof

I have referred many friends from my 160 member club to Luminar and created an hour-long intro video. I am taking down the video and recommending our members avoid Skylum products. The decision to “support Luminar 4 for a year” while focusing on AI is a slap in the face and betrayal of your user base. 

This is the note I shared with my club: "[NOTE ADDED NOV 2020: Luminar has launched a new product "AI", not recommended by Steve and infers it may only support Luminar 4 updates "for another year." While 4 is an excellent product, prospective buyers should do their own research on its future.]"

Daniel Khoo

I am really disappointed with the decision that Skylum decided to introduce Luminar AI as a new product instead of adding it to the Luminar 4 to all its existing customers.  With Luminar 3, Luminar Flex and Luminar 4 which I own now, it looks like there will no improvement to these softwares.  

I will not invest into Luminar AI soon, and shall be looking for  new software for my work.

Please sign in to leave a comment.