Need a better export

Answered

Comments

10 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Eric,

The Export dialog has several options that I think will accomplish what you're looking for. You control the file type, size, quality, and color space. More about our export options here: https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/export-image

Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Comment actions Permalink
    Eric Gan

Perhaps an example will better illustrate my problem. I have a photo that takes  8,034KB. I just exported it and the exported photo is 15,401KB. Of course I could export it at a lower resolution and it would take less space. Why in the world would exporting a photo make it take almost twice as much space? The original photo just has the JPEG image. If you were just exporting the original image at full resolution, it would obviously take 8,034KB. But you are not exporting just the image; you're also exporting the metadata (ratings, etc) and the history of all the changes that were made to the photo. In essence, you're exporting the original and the edited image. I want the ability to export just the final image and the metadata. I have no need for the history. I am willing to forego the chance to return to original if it can save me 7,367KB for this photo. I understand that image modifications can increase the size of the photo a little, and the metadata should probably add another 1K. Many people will want to retain the history of changes, and all I'm asking for is a check box on the export that allows me to export the current image in full resolution with the metadata, so the exported photo in this example is much closer to 8MB than 15MB.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Eric,

Thank you for illustrating with an example. May I ask what file export settings you are using and the types of edits you're making in Luminar prior to exporting?

When you export from Luminar it does include your edits, but not the history. The file size can also be affected by the types of edits you make (i.e. making use of many layers).

If you are only making minor edits on the base image (no layers) and the file size is doubling (i.e. working on a JPG and exporting a full size JPG) then our techs will need to take a look at the issue. You can send us examples at support@skylum.com so we can see why the file size is so large upon export.

Eric Gan

This really happens on literally EVERY photo. My example was a photo that I knew had been modified because the clouds had obviously been enhanced (standard enhancement). I just picked a different example that is a snapshot that I am absolutely positive has not been modified, and the results were even more dramatic. This was from a phone camera so the size was smaller (1437K), and the exported size was dramatically bigger (4953K). This unedited photo is attached (couldn't attach the photo I originally described because it's larger than 2mb). I was exporting using the largest sizes possible since every time I export I want something that is exactly as clear as the original. Exporting something to exactly 100% of resolution should not take 344% of the original size. Also attached is a file with a screenshot of the export settings, but in case you can't see them, they are:
    Format: JPEG

Sharpen: None

Resize: Actual Size

Size: 3024 x 4032

Color Space: sRGB

Resolution: 240 pixel per inch

Quality: 100

Eric Gan

Addendum: I just copied the exported photo back to the catalog and exported it again (of course, using the same default settings). The original was 1437K, the exported photo was 4953K, and the exported exported photo was 5296K. This experiment can be repeated with any photo.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Eric,

Please send your example(s) to us at support@skylum.com so our techs can look into the problem and troubleshoot it. If the files are too large to email you can use WeTransfer.com and then include the shared download link in your email to support. Thanks!

Eric Gan

I just now saw that you had responded three weeks ago. I emailed support@skylum.com with the photo described in my second post, the one that grew from 8M to 15M when it was exported. This ticket is labeled "answered" but I hope that isn't the same as closed. This issue is definitely not closed in my opinion. I export photos often, for printing and to services like Shutterfly. I want to be able to export my photos in exactly the same resolution as they came out of the camera without them taking over double the original space (and over triple the space for that second example, which was never modified). This discourages me from using Luminar to clean up and rate all of my photos, because then my library will grow by terabytes if I ever want to transfer the library to another product (like, say, Luminar AI). This is a fundamental flaw in the software.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Eric,

If the issue hasn't been resolved you can always reply to the most recent email you received from us and even if it was marked "closed" in our system, it can always be reopened.

Patrick Bubenzer

Hi !

I observe same as Eric described..

Beside that, there are some must have improvements you should bring in with next versions:

- default export settings should be manageable by myself (e.g. I would like to have JPEG as default, I would like to set DPI as default, etc.)

- Also it should be possible to export to same folder location /same picture data (size, DPI, quality, file fomrat), where original file has been opened 

- performance of export in general is still not competive to other photo editing application

best regards, Patrick

Austin Miller

Hi Patrick. Thank you for your suggestions! I can see how these features would be very useful. I'll share your feedback with our developers for their consideration.

Please sign in to leave a comment.