Does Skylum have any clear direction for Luminar?

Answered

Comments

29 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ted,

Thank you for sharing your concerns. I invite you read a reply in a recent thread from our CEO. This may answer some of your questions as to the direction of Skylum: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009673340-where-is-the-roadmap-for-Luminar4?page=1#community_comment_360002146140%C2%A0

Comment actions Permalink
    Tony Collins

The relevant statement in that link is this:

It will happen at some point, but we don’t have a timeline yet.

I've been reading that from Skylum since I purchased Luminar 2018. And even features which were promised WITH a timeline, and on the road map - never appeared. It's still not even possible to print properly from L4.

Don't be surprised when we don't believe the "It will happen..." statements any more. Come back to us when it HAS happened.

Ted Gamble

Tony, I completely agree. Things that are/were on the Roadmap have never materialized and features that were sorely needed were never added.

Robert Davidson
    I am very disappointed in hearing that Luminar 4 will cease development next year.
    I have been a loyal supporter and have purchased all Skylum’s software, started with Aurora back with the Mac only version.

I was very excited with Luminar when version 3 introduced the Library and I put in a request for workflow improvements like - a right click to “add to Album”, or check if the image was already in an Album. 
    I have been waiting patiently for this feature and now find out Skylum have been developing a new program and will stop development of Lumina 4.
    I feel cheated! 
    Luminar 3/4 was looking very promising and I thought it would replace the subscription versions of Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Bridge, Photoshop and maybe even Lightroom.

I think there will be a lot of very upset users like me that will probably give up on Skylum. They seem to only be interested in the beginner who wants a 1 click to fix all, and not us professional or experienced users. There are a lot of requests in the forums that get the same answer - will pass on your request to the developers. It doesn't happen.
    Margaret Bright

Hi everyone,

I would like to assure you that all of your requests reach our developers' team. We truly value the insights and feedback of our customers and we do understand that many artists prefer the traditional ways of retouching their images and therefore would like to see our software as an alternative to Adobe. But I want to be honest with you when I say that we are headed in a different direction. 

We want to create a photo-editor that will deliver great results and save a lot of your time. Therefore, we are focused on finding alternative ways to solve problems - the ways that will provide amazing results while not being time and labor-consuming. Luminar AI will introduce the new workflow, new solutions, and new features that will allow artists to make great photos much faster than in traditional image editors.  

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations but I sincerely hope that maybe after Luminar AI is released you would give it a try and be impressed with what we've created.

Tony Collins

I would love to try it and be impressed. But if you have not fixed some of the *very basic* problems that have existed for years (just one example of many... what is the point of the best ever image editor that you cannot even print from properly) then I am unlikely to be impressed.

Ted Gamble

Angela and Margaret,

The thing that frustrates me most is the seeming lack of commitment from Skylum to a base product. We as users buy into a platform/framework that we expect to endure, evolve, and most importantly improve. I know you are claiming that the next iteration is wonderful, amazing, etc., however to me as a customer, that comes across as abandoning the existing product and customer base. It almost seems as though the Skylum team sits around a table in the break room once a year and says, "OK team, what are we going to come up with that's crazy and exciting this year", instead of "OK team, let's tackle some of the things that our customers really need and have been asking for." The other message it hints to me (having been a software engineer for 30 years) is that maybe the core underpinnings of the software don't lend itself to any further expansion without serious internal re-writes, so you've decided to just scrap it and start all over again.

When you went from Luminar 3 to Luminar 4, you completely reworked the UI and moved things into different areas - some of which kind of made sense, and others that didn't make sense. Now, since you've announced Luminar AI, I can only imaging that its UI and tool arrangement is going to be completely different, yet again. I'm not saying don't change things, and I'm not saying I mind change. It's just that you guys appear to be changing course, simply for the purpose of change, with no clear vision of your destination and how to best get there. I feel that your destination changes too frequently for you to ever get anywhere worth arriving at.

This doesn't bode well with me as a long-term customer.

Austin Miller

Hi Ted. We are not abandoning Luminar 4. The compatibility and performance updates will be still shipped during the next 12-24 months. Also, adding new features to Luminar 4 is not out of the question. You will get everything that you’ve paid for.

Wolfgang Jarcik

Just like we got everything Skylum promised for version 3 (or we didn't?)

Genau wie wir alles von Skylum Versprochene für die Version 3 erhalten haben (oder doch nicht?)

Austin Miller

Hi Wolfgang. Luminar got an update 3.2.0, with new camera support and stability and performance improvements.

In regards to the library structure and updates, please check the post from the CEO of Skylum Alex Tsepko - https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009673340

Wolfgang Jarcik

and what is with the bug with magic-mouse (since years)

Pascal Brönnimann

@all disappointed/fooled

It has long been clear that Luminar would never be a replacement for Lightroom - no matter what some (probably paid) promoters or naive people have said on YouTube or elsewhere.

Nobody who is even halfway serious about photography should rely on Skylum. You can use the filters for fun or for inspiration in Photoshop or Lightroom - but I already warned when switching from Luminar 2028 to Luminar 3 to NEVER EVER save raw images as Luminar files only. What a pity, Luminar would have had potential... but probably the CEO doesn't have any serious idea about photography. In the future, you can probably create a stunning pic without taking one (and then replace the sky...;-). Thumbs up. Yeah.

Pascal

Robert Davidson

"we made a mistake: we said that our goal was to develop a great Lightroom alternative. Therefore some people have purchased Luminar as a subscription-free alternative to Adobe products." Yes and I requested improvements to workflow in adding images to Albums way back in version 3. I was told good idea will pass it on to the developers. Why weren't we told back then that sorry we won't be improving the Library? 

Ted Gamble

I just watched the Luminar AI promotion for the 3rd time. This isn't going to be a newer high end version of Photo Lemur is it? That would be a shame if it is. It's hard to imagine where this is headed because you highlight AI, simple, etc., however when you start implementing features like this, the trade-off is often the realization that high-end photo editing features are missing.

I think right now, we're all still trying to get over the announcement of AI, because it gives us the impression that the current roadmap for Luminar is a closed-end path, and there's no real information on what (specifically) to expect in the AI product. 

And one last thing, the $59 "special price" for an early bird PRE-ORDER discount to loyal Luminar users is just..., well..., it's just too much.

Robert Davidson

Yes Ted that's how I read it. A quick one click fix all for beginners, not for professionals. 

Kim Austin

Austin Miller said:

"We are not abandoning Luminar 4. The compatibility and performance updates will be still shipped during the next 12-24 months. Also, adding new features to Luminar 4 is not out of the question. You will get everything that you’ve paid for."

We paid for the LR/PS killer DAM that Skylum marketed a couple of versions back, and which NEVER was delivered. Now, with the launching of the AI version, we've found out that the DAM is no longer a core interest of Skylum (Richard Harrington), so it took until now to find this out!?!?!?!?

Many of your loyal customers paid for 2 or 3 versions of Luminar, and from what you have said, Austin Miller, we'll see those promised, yet missing, features added. I look forward to that.

Margaret Bright

Hi guys,

Please note that Luminar AI is going to be much more complex than Photolemur. While Luminar AI will suggest templates, it is always up to you whether to use it or edit the image manually. Moreover, you can start with a template that you like and then move forward to manually tweaking the edits further. 

So I would like to assure you that Luminar AI will not be just a set of templates and presets but will also have tools for manual editing. More information regarding the app and its features is coming soon, so please stay tuned!

Hi Kim,

I sincerely understand your frustration. I would like to invite you to read a reply in a recent thread from our CEO. This may answer some of your questions as to the direction of Skylum and the fate of the DAM improvements:
    https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009673340-where-is-the-roadmap-for-Luminar4

Kim Austin

Margaret Bright:

So Alex tells those of us who paid for the LR/PS killer DAM and expected to have it, that we should ask for a refund if we still want what was offered by your company. Great response, NOT!

Yet, Austin Miller says in this very same thread:

"We are not abandoning Luminar 4. The compatibility and performance updates will be still shipped during the next 12-24 months. Also, adding new features to Luminar 4 is not out of the question. You will get everything that you’ve paid for."

Which is a total contradiction to what Alex and Richard Harrington have stated.  Richard said that the DAM is no longer a core interest for Skylum. First I had heard of it, as I know many others are in the same boat.

Do you understand what I'm saying, Margaret?  Do you see how someone might be confused? 

Margaret Bright

Kim, I understand what you mean, and I apologize for the miscommunication on our side. When we say that you will get everything that you’ve paid for, we mean that with the compatibility and performance updates we will make sure you get a fast and stable photo-editing software, which you can use as long as your hardware meets our technical requirements.

As for DAM improvements, I think that you already know that you are absolutely not alone in this - there are many other users who would like to see these options in our software. We do understand that things like EXIF/IPTC support are something that many artists find useful in their workflow. That is why we are not abandoning the idea of adding DAM related improvements. We will work on finding a way to bring them to our apps in a way that will be easy and convenient to use for everyone. We just can't say yet when precisely it will happen just yet.

Todd Waddington

Yeah, I'll jump on this bandwagon.  It's really a branding problem as I see it.  I have only been on board with Skylum for about a year and a half.  Love the sky replacement feature in Luminar 4 and it was worth the purchase as a plugin for Lightroom.  I'm not crazy about the presets they offer, but there is some flexibility.  It really is a "quick fix" software.

But the branding issue is frustrating.  I had to do a little digging to begin to understand what they are up to.  Will there be support for Luminar 4?  (meh, maybe 12-24 months).  Is Luminar AI the next version of Luminar 4?  (Sort of, but not really, "it's going to be much more complex than Photolemur."  WTF is Photolemur? lol).  

Anyway, I don't want to spend any money on a subscription (which I actually might) until I see what it is.  And then I'll have to spend twice as much.  Not a great roll out, IMHO.

Ted Gamble

Given that Luminar 4 is so sluggish on my 2014 MacBook Pro (16GB of RAM with an SSD), I'm very skeptical that AI will be fast enough. The time for AI to analyze and process an image has to be time consuming, and if Luminar 4's sluggishness is any indication of what's to come, I have to imagine that AI is going to be extremely frustrating to use. It doesn't matter how much time AI saves on making adjustments if the analysis is slow.

Helena Carter

Hi Ted Gamble,

Please, note that LuminarAi is a completely new app to be developed from scratch, therefore, we'd recommend you to wait until the release to test it.

Matt Orth

And the and the user base hopes that Skylum will test it before they release it. 

Ted Gamble

Helena, I'd rather see Skylum improve the performance of L4 (which we've all already purchased) instead of going in an entirely new direction. I'm guessing that most of your development resources are 100% committed to AI now instead of L4, so we're pretty much stuck with a very slow L4. This is not how you instill customer confidence and foster brand loyalty.

Here are the specs on my Mid 2014 MacBook Pro:

2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel I7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB Graphics

256 GB SSD hard drive

Now, please, PLEASE tell me why Luminar 4 is so slow to load an image and its adjustments. And please tell me why it's so slow to export images.

Helga Rowles

Hi Ted,
    We are not laying Luminar 4 aside, and we will definitely continue working on improving its performance.
    In the meantime, you may try working in a smaller catalog with images located on the internal drive (if it's not the case yet). As a rule of thumb, the bigger your catalog is, the slower your Luminar will run.

Ted Gamble

Helga, I don't use L4 to catalog my photos. I only import/edit a few at a time, then delete them. All images are on my local SSD (Solid State) drive.

Here's what I've noticed. I shoot with an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark ii (a very popular Micro 4/3 camera). The RAW files are 16MB, 4608x3456. If I open only two (TWO) files in L4, it takes 10 seconds to decode and display the file with all editing sliders enabled. If I move to the second file, another 10 seconds. Moving back to the first file, another 10 seconds. You see my frustration?

If I open the same two files after I've converted them to TIFF, the time drops to 5 seconds. This is better than with RAW files, but still not acceptable for my use. I shoot RAW and your RAW processing simply can't compete.

Helga Rowles

Thanks for your reply, Ted.
    I can totally understand your frustration, and we agree that there is room for improvement. We will keep working on making the app faster. 
    Another thing we can suggest is to try resetting your PRAM. It can help to improve the Luminar performance.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063    

Ted Gamble

Helga, I reset the PRAM. No change. Still just as slow.

Drew

Im new to luminar 4 having only purchased it early this year as a lightroom replacement, but reading back through years of threads there is a common theme of basic feature requests not being met by the support team and with the release of Luminar AI, I dont see any more features being implemented to Luminar 4 with possibly 1~2 bug fix only updates before end of development.

There's always a friendly response in the threads, but no timeline and worst of all.. the same communication of "were working on it" or "we've forwarded this to the developers". Now I would say thats not good enough, but luminar 4 is only $100 odd dollars and you only get so much support for that price ( which is not much.. )

I deal with several large software vendors including Adobe on a near daily basis and all I can say is that you get what you pay for. Luminar is CHEAP, and whilst it does great things for the price it just does not have the support or consistent development cycles your likely to expect coming from larger companies.

You should always buy software with the expectation that there will be no updates, it should do what you need at that time or dont buy it..

Whilst im personally very disappointed luminar 4 is effectively discontinued, id advice anyone to look back and see the lack of development cycles prior to purchasing any more skylum software..

Basic features like

• Full screen on windows?!? ( I mean seriously... this is just poor.. )
    • Hot pixel removal
    • Virtual copies

The fullscreen toggle not being present on windows is almost comical... Skylum, get your internal task priorities straight and act on the costumers requests within a reasonable time frame ( 1 month dev cycles ), thats how you improve.. its not about what YOU want, its about what the USER wants..

Please sign in to leave a comment.