Upgrade every year ? Really ?

Answered

Comments

5 comments

• Official comment
    Helga Rowles

Hi John,

Luminar AI is not an upgrade to Luminar 4, it is a brand-new application. We plan to ship compatibility and performance updates for Luminar 4 for another year after Luminar AI is released. 

Besides, unlike subscription plans, we are offering lifetime licenses; therefore, you will be able to use the application you've purchased for an unlimited period of time.

Comment actions Permalink
    John McAleer

You miss my point completely, I know it's a new software, I know you do not have to purchase it, I know L4 will continue to work after Lai is released, my point is when you offer new/upgraded versions yearly the original version that has been bought with the 'expectation' of owning forever becomes obsolete so very much quicker...

So if you as you say continue to support L4 for a further 12 months after the new release, it is effectively a 2 year old software before becoming consigned to the scrap heap, maybe be functional for a short period after that but will quickly fall behind the OS upgrades....this is what my point is, this is where the subscription model wins hands down...

Dunno why people are blind to that..

B B

@John McAleer

Moreover, although I don’t have a crystal ball, I can tell that Luminar 4 will be replaced with Luminar 5 in 2021.

Matt Orth

John, I think the Luminar # line is dead.  If you want Luminar, it’s AI or nothing.  This group can’t produce one fully featured, smoothly running, easily updated software package, do you think they can keep two lines going?

My prediction is that AI will come out late, be slow and buggy, there will be lots of posts about missing features, the reps will say “great idea!  I’ll pass that along to the developers”, and about a year later they will announce the AMAZING INNOVATIVE REVOLUTIONARY program Luminar AI Plus, which is not an upgrade, but a whole new approach.  They will continue to support legacy Luminar AI for “at least” a year, but all new features and all the enhancements that they were “considering” will (supposedly) go to AI Plus.  And AI will join the ranks of 2018, L3 and L4 as dead end software.  

it’s their business model. Promise to “consider” adding all the features that the program should have, then abandon it for a new one. And you don’t need a crystal ball to see it coming.

Matt Orth

I mean, when you think about the corporate dishonesty.  They’ve been working in AI for a while, that’s probably why the L4 upgrade was such a disaster, they didn’t have enough resources to do that right and develop AI.  So every time a rep said “great idea!  We’ll consider that for a future upgrade” corporate Skylum knew that would never happen.  They knew AI was coming and L4 would be left as an orphan product.  They knew damned well that there would never be a print module in L3 or L4 even as they were promising to “add it to the list”.  

So when future AI owners post a question about a missing feature, you know that even as the rep promises to “consider it”, AI is already forgotten as Skylum works on the newest revenue stream, I mean product.  

Go ahead, call me cynical....

Post is closed for comments.