Aurora HDR 2020

Answered

Comments

8 comments

Marco Marrocco

Hi Patrick,

If you're going for "realistic" HDR, I think your best bet (and possibly only choice when it comes to CR3 files) is converting your RAWs to DNGs via the Adobe free converter - or Camera RAW, if you have that installed.

This is because, even with supposedly supported RAW formats, like the .CR2s from my now aging 6D, I have found that loading the native Canon RAWs often results in weird artifacts, like purplish fringes that are definitely not chromatic aberrations.

All those seem to disappear if I feed Aurora a set of converted DNGs. So yes, it's one more step in the workflow, but it can save you some extra work later on.

tl;dr I don't know if Aurora will ever officially support the newer RAW formats from Canon (at this point I'm not holding my breath), but if it does, I'll probably still prefer to go through the DNG converter as IMHO it gives a better and cleaner starting  point for HDR.

Hope this answers your question. Kindest regards,

--

Marco

Comment actions Permalink
    Helga Rowles

Hi Patrick,
    At this time, we don't have an ETA for CR3 support, but as Marco has suggested, you can convert your RAW images to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter.

You can download it following one of the links below.

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/ 

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/ 

patrick wynne

Thank you Helga and Marco for your response

Regards patrick

Ralph Bley

I realize that we can convert our CR3 files to DNGs, but an updated version of Aurora HDR would be great. One that not only supports the newer file types, but fixes the issues that Marco mentioned.  The most recent version is still V1.0.0.2550 and other than a few bugfixes, it is the same thing that was released almost 2 years ago.  Based on the lack of any new versions, It doesn't appear that Aurora HDR is even being developed any longer.

I hope I'm wrong, so please correct me if I am.

Kate Williams

Hi Ralph,

To be transparent, we have no ETA for the next  Aurora HDR update. At the moment, we're mainly focused on the development of our main product - Luminar. If we get more info about the following release of Aurora, we'll share it with you.

Ralph Bley

Kate -

I appreciate the honesty.  Hopefully once the new version of Luminar comes out HDR will get some attention.  Unless of course it's being discontinued as a stand-alone product and pulled into Luminar...

Flo Minton

Aurora has been unable to batch process my Panasonic RAW files since Mac OS Catalina was released. I have been promised an update by the developers to address this issue since April but now Aurora HDR has virtually disappeared from the Skylum website completely. What happened to this product???? Has it been abandoned? Is the functionality going to be blended into future releases of Luminar? What is going on???

Marco Marrocco

Hi Flo, Aurora is actually still there; it's been moved to one of the submenus, together with the press releases, the blog,  the affiliiate program and so forth.

...Yeah, it doesn't make much sense; not that I'm expecting any further updates after all this time, but at least it hasn't been taken offline, which would have raised a lot of questions.

Regards,

--

Marco

Please sign in to leave a comment.