Aurora HDR 2020

Answered

Comments

16 comments

Marco Marrocco

Hi Patrick,

If you're going for "realistic" HDR, I think your best bet (and possibly only choice when it comes to CR3 files) is converting your RAWs to DNGs via the Adobe free converter - or Camera RAW, if you have that installed.

This is because, even with supposedly supported RAW formats, like the .CR2s from my now aging 6D, I have found that loading the native Canon RAWs often results in weird artifacts, like purplish fringes that are definitely not chromatic aberrations.

All those seem to disappear if I feed Aurora a set of converted DNGs. So yes, it's one more step in the workflow, but it can save you some extra work later on.

tl;dr I don't know if Aurora will ever officially support the newer RAW formats from Canon (at this point I'm not holding my breath), but if it does, I'll probably still prefer to go through the DNG converter as IMHO it gives a better and cleaner starting  point for HDR.

Hope this answers your question. Kindest regards,

--

Marco

Comment actions Permalink
    Helga Rowles

Hi Patrick,
    At this time, we don't have an ETA for CR3 support, but as Marco has suggested, you can convert your RAW images to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter.

You can download it following one of the links below.

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/ 

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/ 

patrick wynne

Thank you Helga and Marco for your response

Regards patrick

Ralph Bley

I realize that we can convert our CR3 files to DNGs, but an updated version of Aurora HDR would be great. One that not only supports the newer file types, but fixes the issues that Marco mentioned.  The most recent version is still V1.0.0.2550 and other than a few bugfixes, it is the same thing that was released almost 2 years ago.  Based on the lack of any new versions, It doesn't appear that Aurora HDR is even being developed any longer.

I hope I'm wrong, so please correct me if I am.

Kate Williams

Hi Ralph,

To be transparent, we have no ETA for the next  Aurora HDR update. At the moment, we're mainly focused on the development of our main product - Luminar. If we get more info about the following release of Aurora, we'll share it with you.

Ralph Bley

Kate -

I appreciate the honesty.  Hopefully once the new version of Luminar comes out HDR will get some attention.  Unless of course it's being discontinued as a stand-alone product and pulled into Luminar...

Flo Minton

Aurora has been unable to batch process my Panasonic RAW files since Mac OS Catalina was released. I have been promised an update by the developers to address this issue since April but now Aurora HDR has virtually disappeared from the Skylum website completely. What happened to this product???? Has it been abandoned? Is the functionality going to be blended into future releases of Luminar? What is going on???

Marco Marrocco

Hi Flo, Aurora is actually still there; it's been moved to one of the submenus, together with the press releases, the blog,  the affiliiate program and so forth.

...Yeah, it doesn't make much sense; not that I'm expecting any further updates after all this time, but at least it hasn't been taken offline, which would have raised a lot of questions.

Regards,

--

Marco

Francois de Melogue

Too bad Aurora is not viewed as profitable enough for a newer version and/or updates. I love the program.

Kim Austin

I do as well, Francois.  It's been 10 months since Kate Williams advised that there was no ETA for the next update. I wonder if it will ever happen, or just end up on the pile of discontinued software.

Kim Austin

Skylum Support.
    Why is this post marked as Answered when two questions asked were given vague responses by Kate Williams 10 months ago?
    Perhaps someone else in the Support team could show respect to its customers with a professional response?

Ralph Bley

I suspect the "answer" is what she said - "we're mainly focused on the development of our main product - Luminar" and that they are letting Aurora HDR die, which would be extremely disappointing.  It did (and continues to do) a great job, but it doesn't support the RAW format of newer cameras which makes it significantly more of a pain to use.  It is extremely frustrating that we paid good money for it but there has been no communication about its future in ages.  Transparency folks - if it is EOL, let us know.  But I guess if they do that, they won't be able to get more suckers to buy it since it is still for sale.

Flo Minton

True all of it! I could not get any of my Panasonic and Olympus RAW files to work in the batch processor on my Mac in Aurora HDR 2017 and Aurora HDR 2019 after I upgraded to Catalina. I wrote and wrote to Skylum. I sent multiple videos showing how the program hung up trying to import even one photo with 5 images into the batch processor. I sent video after video over a course of 6 months and no one at Skylum could get the developers to fix the issue. They finally acknowledged that there was an issue with the program in Catalina promised me an update "shortly" to the program to address the problem that never came. They only suggested I convert the RAW files to DNG and then batch process them, which also did not work. I was using it as my main program for processing my real estate shoots and it really impacted my business. I am extremely disappointed that they have essentially abandoned those of us that have been loyal customers since the MacPhun days. The worst is that it is still for sale, with no disclaimers about the issues with batch processing the RAW files with some camera. Very sad...a good company gone bad...

Francois de Melogue

This is why I still prefer Adobe to Skylum or DXO. Adobe is not going anywhere - they support their products and updates are free for those who subscribe. If you buy Luminar AI that is it. It will be good for 2 years until they come up with the latest "new" thing and then poof it goes unsupported. I love Aurora and Luminar - but I wonder out loud how long I will continue supporting companies that do not support me.

Charl Durand

This is really, really bad. I just bought Aurora only to find out no CR3 support once I tried to do an import. WTF? Skylum, you need to let prospective customers know this limitation, or archive the software if you're no longer supporting it. I'm pasting this message to other forums to warn people.

Ralph Bley

Couldn't agree more Charl.  The sad thing is that it was really the best HDR program I found, but they certainly seem to have silently abandoned it.  As it is, it absolutely needs to be marked as "legacy" with some major disclaimers added, or simply taken out of the store.

Please sign in to leave a comment.