Luminar AI missing FAQ answers . . .

Answered

Comments

15 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Norm,

Yes, your collection of skies, textures, and objects will be compatible with Luminar AI.

I've flagged this question to be added to our FAQs. Thanks for asking!

Comment actions Permalink
    Rosemarie Beall

you have not answered my question yet, are you avoiding me?

i wish to use the sky pack etc from y pre-order now, the download links are missinmg in that pre-order and the order  and invoice do not show, what was ordered and bonuses and download links for the bonuses-- was that all a come- on only??:?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Rosemarie,

I was able to confirm that we received your message. Someone from our support team will reply to you via email as soon as possible.

Please note that we do our best to reply to all messages within 24 hours, but in high traffic times it can take a bit longer. We appreciate your patience!

Rosemarie Beall

how can I get these collections from my pre-order?

Norm Gilbert

If you already have Luminar 4.3, you already have these assets on your hard drive.

When they say compatible, they are not specific as to how compatibility is achieved.

Will our current assets need to be converted into a new format? Will they provide software to do that? Or will they just work, but old filters and sliders will show up in a separate category called Deprecated Filters.

We just don't know the answer yet.

Their intention is to protect your investment in time and money into skies, textures, looks, and objects in Luminar AI.

How is the big question, but we won't know that for months.

Rosemarie Beall

those answers are way too ambiguous for someone, who is taking pre-orders beforehand.

Skylum has not enough answers yet, maybe I will give back my pre-order.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Rosemarie,

We've updated our FAQ. Here is the answers:

Will I be able to migrate my Luminar 4 looks to LuminarAI?

We understand that you’d love to use your previously created looks in Luminar AI. Therefore, we’ll take care of the migration process — you’ll be able to transfer your Luminar 4 looks to Luminar AI and convert them to Templates.

However, please do keep in mind that since Luminar AI is a brand new product (not a Luminar 4 upgrade) with an entirely new core engine, new workflow and features, the results obtained with your Luminar 4 looks may be a bit different in Luminar AI. For best results, you can update and save looks after migrating them.

Will skies/textures/objects purchased for Luminar 4 work in LuminarAI?

Yes, your collection of skies, textures and objects will be compatible with Luminar AI.

I hope that helps! We are constantly updating the FAQ as questions come in. You can view them here: https://skylum.com/luminar-faq/ai/general

Norm Gilbert

Why would you do that?

You will have 30 days from the day the program is released to fully evaluate it. If you don't like it for any reason, you can request a no questions asked refund. I pre-ordered and I am not worried.

Actually I am excited to see what they come up with. I hope they hired a few new programmers to take fresh looks at Luminar's many deficiencies.

If AI has all the power and control of 4.3 but adds more AI on top of that, is compatible with industry-standard plugins, and runs on a new computing engine that is faster executing (so the on-screen effects don't lag the mouse by seconds) I will be very happy.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Rosemarie,

I'm sorry I missed that question! Please reach out to us at support@skylum.com and we can resend those download links since they were missing from your email.

Rosemarie Beall

I already did and have no reply

Shelia Hunt

Nobody in this thread answered the question of HOW to convert Luminar 4 Looks to Luminar AI templates.  And mine did NOT automatically import from Luminar 4.

Norm Gilbert

Shelia Hunt:

After getting my copy on Luminar AI, I am leaning towards requesting a refund. I have until January 9th to do so.

It is a very disappointing update. It doesn't add anything new other than speed, stability, fog and mist, a terrible auto crop tool, and automated perspective adjustment but takes a lot away. All your old looks will come in to AI in one very long list of single line entries. Not separated into the packages they were originally a part of. Do you know the names of every look inside a particular package, because the package name is gone.

I want to give it a fair chance, but I have started editing on AI and end up going back to Luminar 4. And if I still need to use Topaz Utilities it requires multiple exports and imports to work.

I have been starting to look more closely at Photoshop Elements. Which make it much easier to do composites, like adding objects from one image to another. The new Photoshop Elements does background replace, background blur, sky replace, watermarking, etc. The Adobe folks clearly had their eyes set on stealing market share from Luminar and added a lot of features that borrowed heavily from Luminar. Maybe AI was Skylum's response to Adobe? Trying to buy some time to actually innovate.

Luminar AI to me should have just been Luminar 5, taking nothing away and just adding the AI Looks, Composition and Fog features to Luminar 4.

Topaz Add-ons are gone, layers are gone, adjustable gradient is gone, adjusting a texture size and placement is gone, only zoom and invert are aailable (which means watermarks are gone), your old looks are virtually unusable. The whole rushed roll out of Luminar AI was more marketing hype and an attempt to grab some fast cash. Basically they just took all the old functions of Luminar 4 and repackaged and renamed them and hyped the heck out of the "totally new product".

And their technical support still sucks. I feel sorry for poor Angela, who constantly has to cover for their incompetence. I am a user of Topaz Utilities. They push an update almost every week as they fix bugs. You will see no updates to Luminar AI until Luminar 2.0 in "the spring".

I hate to be so negative, because Luminar 4 is still a great program and easy to learn. But maybe it was just a happy accident? But I am not a fan of Skylum management and their direction to make image post-processing one click friendly. It is like owning a Nikon or Canon and being asked to switch to a Kodak throw-away camera.

They solicited volunteers to join a public beta program that was never implemented. Betas only went to the people they knew personally that are their affiliates and make their money from Skylum. These YouTube trainers would never be too critical and would join the hype train of AI.

Bottom line, don't worry about AI. You won't like it. If you are getting good results from L4, stay on Luminar 4. There is virtually nothing that AI does that cannot be done in L4. You're probably good for two years. And start looking around at other products. Luminar was innovative two years ago, but two years ago in tech is like ten years ago in other industries.

Shelia Hunt

Thanks for your comments, Norm... My go-to software is Photoshop, which I absolutely LOVE.  I use Luminar 4 as plug-in and it works great.  I think Luminar AI has real potential, but they should never have done away with the Luminar 4 Looks that came with the program, and these should have automatically migrated over.  I want  to be fair and give the folks at Skylum a chance, but the Looks inside Luminar AI are terrible... When you click on them, they barely change anything on the photo!  And the lack of sharpness on the images inside Luminar AI is just not acceptable. They are sharp and clear inside Luminar 4 and other apps! 

On the "Looks" inside Luminar 4... I never created my own, never had a need to. I would bring a raw image into Photoshop, make minor adjustments, then use the Luminar 4 plug-in for PS and use one of the built-in Looks as a STARTING point.

While we are on the subject of software, I have never been a fan of Lightroom, although I really tried to like it and worked with it for 6 months or more. It takes twice as long to make an adjustment in Lightroom as it does in Photoshop.

At this point, I'm just hoping Skylum will keep Luminar 4 around, at least as a plug-in for Photoshop. It's a great little program, but never, certainly never, a replacement for Photoshop.

Roy Blackwell

If your L4 Looks migrated, you will find them here (note, the default L4 Looks collections do not migrate as best I can tell).

Norm Gilbert

I could never master Photoshop, due to its complexity. It is a steep learning curve.

That's why I was looking at Photoshop Elements, which is a guided dumbed down version of Photoshop. And they have been looking at Luminar and copying their feature set, like Sky Replacement.

My only wish is that the CEO of Skylum was more honest and out front as the face of the company. I wished he listened to users more than trusting his own world view.

Like just ADMIT their support sucks and tell us what he intends to do about it, starting with a support management system like ZenDesk, where every support request is assigned a ticket number and tracked from inception to resolution with automated escalation steps. Measure everything.

That which gets measured gets accomplished. They need to hire a trained researcher to measure perceptions of the user base and the non-users who are users of competitive products. Companies cannot do this with SurveyMonkey. Is there an actual market for Luminar AI beyond the current user base? There would be total non-users of any post-processing software or users of more basic programs like Apple Photos. I'd also want to know if there was a market for editing on the cell phone itself via an app. Maybe Luminar AI should have been developed for the cell phone photographer?

My ex was a trained, successful, in demand qualitative market researcher and ethnographer with her own company delivering actionable insights for almost 20 years. Living with her for 6 years, I learned way more than I will ever need to know about qualitative research and how different it is to quantitative research.

Most of her work was done under non-disclosure, so she couldn't even tell me what she was working on or for whom. Often she was brought in by the brand's ad agency or marketing consultant.The brand never knew her by her company name, which made building her business a challenge. She billed the agency or the consultant, not the brand itself.

But once in a while she needed my help or a qualified participant, so I had insight into what she did for her clients. Plus, I joined her at industry conferences to hear presentations.

If you are interested, do an online search on Ethnography and Qaul versus Quant market research. Quant measures numbers (sales, market share, number of users, hours to resolve, up-time, incidence of support requests), while Qual measures perceptions gathered by observations (watch and record users actually using the product. Ask them to perform specific tasks and see how they handle it).

Quant is widely known, since it fits into traditional numerical analysis of a business (performance against objectives). Qualitative Research is a much newer methodology so not as widely known or used. Companies need to do both types of research and great companies usually do both.

Google does a lot of Qual research in their own user experience labs. Google has a two-story building in Mountain View, CA dedicated to nothing but user observations. Room after room of a single computer or cell phone, one-way mirrors plus cameras and microphones everywhere. They would measure and record eye movement, keystrokes, mouse clicks, screenshots, and conversations or questions with the interviewer.

I have been recruited a number of times as a participant for Google Research when I lived in the Bay Area. When I owned my business, I did the same thing for Quickbooks at Intuit. I got paid for my time, and was invited back numerous times because the information I provided was deemed valuable. (There are such things as "Professional Respondents" who just do it for the money, going through the motions, volunteering nothing of value. Professional Respondents are the bane of recruiters for Qual projects.)

Recruiting isn't as easy as putting up a post on Craig's List or LinkedIn and asking for volunteers. Although for recruiting consumers or hobbyists, that works.

But for recruiting busy and successful professionals, they are usually recruited from purchased lists and are called and qualified. I got paid $100 for an hour. Imagine trying to get a CEO, doctor, politician or lawyer to give you an hour of their time for $100.

Clients freaked out when my ex told them if they wanted her expertise, they need to pay respondents like doctors and lawyers $300 to $500 an hour. She'd walk away from clients who tried to cheap out the budget for respondents. If they even mentioned Survey Monkey, the conversation was over. Survey Monkey is a Quant tool. She wouldn't touch a project under $30,000 (that was ten years ago, haven't had any contact since 2010) plus respondent compensation. Her recruiter might have to make 100 calls to get one qualified participant.

Skylum cannot figure out where they are going until they know where they are. When you don't know where you are, every path is equally good. Measuring only the financials isn't enough.

Trusting your gut only works sometimes: Both Trump and Steve Jobs managed from their gut. Only one is considered a genius and has the results to prove it. A famous Steve Jobs quote on Customer Research, which he believed was a waste of time: "Why ask a customer what they want? They don't know what they want until I show it to them." Steve Jobs was a true genius.

Please sign in to leave a comment.