Luminar AI vs. Luminar 4

Answered

Comments

66 comments

Kate Williams

Hi Roland, 

I'll gladly answer your questions. 

Luminar AI catalog is expected to work in the same way as the Luminar 4 one. However, you won't be able to move your Luminar 4 catalog directly to Luminar AI, since the latter is not an upgrade but a new product with major changes under-the-hood. 

At this time, the Catalog is platform-specific. You can open the same catalog on a different computer as long as it has the same OS. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Andreas Brodow

Will you provide a conversion tool so you can move your edits from l4 catalogue to AI catalogue or will all edits be lost if you want to use AI exclusive?

Khurt Williams

I have Luminar 3 and was about to upgrade to Luminar 4 when I saw the promotions material for Luminar AI. The responses so far still leave the original question unanswered. How are Luminar AI and Luminar 4 different? In addition, Is Luminar AI the path forward for Luminar or will there be a Luminar 5?

Roy Blackwell

Khurt Williams: There will not be a Luminar 5. Luminar 4 will receive bugs fixes/performance updates for one year after the release of Luminar AI (expected in December). Luminar AI is the path forward.

Khurt Williams

Thank you, Roy Blackwell. I have pre-ordered Luminar AI.

Roland Kiss

Dear Kate Williams, 

Thank for your answer! There would be two questions before I pre-order the AI, will there be a keyword / tagging option in the catalog, and will there be automatic lens distortion compensation?

yours sincerely
    Roland Kiss

Margaret Bright

Hi Roland,

Unfortunately, a keyword / tagging option will not be present in Luminar AI. But the good news is that the lens distortion correction will be available in the app.

Jean-Yves Aubry

New user question. If I order AI, do I still need Luminar4? 

Elena Blum

Jean-Yves Aubry,

We plan to ship compatibility and performance updates for Luminar 4 for another year after LuminarAI is released. So you can use Luminar 4 along with Luminar AI.

Jean-Yves Aubry

Being I have neither software and plan on getting AI, is there a need for me to have Luminary 4 or should I simply have AI?

Andrew Jones

Will either Luminar 4 or AI support making virtual copies for catalog images? A fair number of posts have been made in the feature suggestions part of the forum asking this (aimed at L4) and the response is always 'we're working on it' or something similar.

Jeff Marcowitz

Jean-Yves - probably depends on your timing need.  If you need a solution now, then Luminar 4 is what's available.  If you can wait, then probably AI is the way to go.  I had purchased Luminar 4 and then returned it after pre-ordering Luminar AI since I'm not using it professionally and don't have an urgency.

John McDevitt

Greetings,

As a Professor and owner of two companies I lend some comments here in the spirit of providing feedback to the leadership of Skylum.

First, I love your products and believe you have strong capabilities. I have purchased multiple software modules and have enjoyed using them in my spare time.

As you must know, the community of users of your products is closely knitted together and can move from supportive to not supportive quickly.

I think there is a problem with the Skylum business model and the level of communication with the community. I have purchased the series of Luminar products moving from Luminar 3, Luminar 2018 and Luminar 4. I was surprised by the lack of discount in moving up the product chain. Not that this cost will change my life but it is out of the normal range for similar products. You got my money last time, but the lack of transparency is leading to frustration.

In my estimation, you are better off going to a subscription service to allow for payment of your software developers to keep the innovations coming along. As stated in other messages in this thread and as you know well, there are a large number of overlapping features in the various versions of Luminar. To describe them as completely new products is not accurate and a bit insulting.

I normally do not spend the time to provide this level of feedback as I am too busy to justify this effort, but my constructive criticism is actually a testament to the fact that your company does provide a state of the art product. 

You should know that you are on the edge of loosing my support.

Best wishes, John

Darren Ives

Why would anyone pay 30% more (even with the “loyalty discount”) for only 2 seats, rather than the 5 we currently have with Luminar 4?

David Ullman

RE: John McDevitt Comments...  He's a Professor, I have just about 50 years of being a Creative Director at the big ad agencies on both US coasts.  I've also been a customer of Skylum's since they started with their "Creative Kit"...  great little piece of very effective software.  Since then, I've seriously questioned Skylum's business model (none of my business really) and their marketing/customer relations and customer support.  I'm with you 100%!

Customer service seems to have improved slightly.  But, when I searched in this forum for a comparison between Luminar 4 and Luminar AI I read answers that were little more that standard talking points (faster, better, easier).  That is a non-answer to a very reasonable and legitimate question.  

L4 was launched without a User Guide. That really lit me up. In my career I've launched tech brands and products.  Big company or small, nothing was released to the market without a proper User Guide. If you check the LR User Guide online you'll see what mean. My conclusion? 

Skylum does not understand how to market in North America. It's that simple. 

L4 meets my needs.  Out of curiosity I've pre-ordered Luminar AI.  If there's no real User Guide I'll probably return it.  Frankly, my impression is that these guys are short term players with an exit strategy in their back pocket.

David Ullman

Northern Glampers

Wasn’t AI to be release on Nov 18th? Why is is not today?

Roy Blackwell

@Northern Glampers: not sure where you got that date. Skylum has indicated all along a release during the holiday season. Personally, I expect it to be around mid December.

Northern Glampers

On 10/29/20 when I preordered it, the website stated Nov 18th. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Northern Glampers,

We've never shared a specific date for the release. Our FAQ says "We expect LuminarAI to ship this holiday season for Mac and Windows. As we get closer to release, an expected date will be announced." Can you give us the link where you found that information?

Matt Orth

Actually, the Skylum site says December 15 release date. 

https://skylum.com/luminar-ai-cu

Angela Andrieux

Matt Orth

You're correct - When I made my post 8 hours ago the site hadn't yet been updated with the expected release date :)

Roy Blackwell

Well, seems my prediction was correct. A December 15 release date should mean the first 30,000 that preordered will received it about December 8th or 9th.

Justen Paulsen

My personal opinion lum 4 vs AI... I have both... I feel lum4 does more, and Lum AI would be great for someone starting out, but feel like they can get the same results with lum4. I find myself using lum4 more, even though post-processing may take 2 minutes longer to do. I will continue to use lum AI and see what it all can do.. But 4 seems to have most of the same functions and more. Hopefully, a few things will be added to AI down the road. The AI function in 4 is great. I was kind of hoping Lum AI had a smart fix button that cleared the picture, fixed the exposure and contrast, with one button quick fix.. When I take photos, it's not a post process of one picture, it could be a post process of 400-500, even 1000 pictures weekly.. And to just give them a quick touchup before putting them on the internet would be one of the most handiest things. If AI could decide what would make that pic look the best with a one button quick fix. That would be the handiest setup.

Diana Day

I have have been using Luminar4 and pre-purchased LuminarAI under the impression it was an update to Luminar4, with additional new AI features. After reading all these questions and answers, I'm wondering if I wasted my money on LuminarAI. Do I need to use both programs to have all the available features of Luminar? It would be more convenient if it all was in one software. You should have made made it very clear to your customers from the beginning exactly what LuminarAI is and is not, and whether we'd need both, or if LuminarAI was replacing Luminar4.

Justen Paulsen

"I have have been using Luminar4 and pre-purchased LuminarAI under the impression it was an update to Luminar4, with additional new AI features."

They are separate programs.. One is more automated.. while other has some automated and a lot of manual stuff. I find both have their place. Some times I find AI do a better job than 4 and vice versa. AI is not a update version.. It's completely a different laminar in it's self... Like photoshop and lightroom.. Both for pictures, but one does more, than other is quicker.   More tweaking....

I don't feel it's a waste of money.. There is things Lum AI can do that 4 can not.. Plus, what I heard is.. It's still being upgraded... So AI is not a completed product yet.. So it will most likely do even more down the road.

Diana Day

Skylum didn't do a good job of of making this clear when marketing this product.

An Chak

Wow...why did I not read this blog prior to purchasing LuminarAI as my first desktop editing tool? I am a photography hobbyist - takes more photos on my Pixel (which I end up doing some minimal post processing on mobile itself - mostly Snapseed - out of convenience) though I aspire to spend more time & capture more with my Sony a7. I have a truck load of pictures from past which I would like to incrementally catalogue and then for the select subset do post processing - b4 I can file / print.  I had done my online research and narrowed down to Luminar 4, but almost around that time LuminarAI ads started and decided to wait. Now installing the Luminar AI ( it got stuck at 60% and not moved for last 60 minutes :-(...still hoping it will get completed) and trying to gather additional info on the product. I could have bought Luminar 4 also as a bundle ( was very little additional during ThanksGiving) but didn't - why buy two of the same kind? What was different was ( as a feature comparison - like what Fitbit does when they sell multiple products of same kind but with minor variations & different price points) very unclear. From the comments above, it looks like Luminar 4 has features that is not in Luminar AI. While I have 30 days to make up my mind, more than the money, I feel if I end up taking that path, I would have lost all the time on this product ( reaerching, comparing, learning etc) which could have been spent streamlining my collection. Hope not.  

Update 1: This community thread looks like a ghost town. Don't see much activity from Skylum(Product Owner/Manager/Customer service) side. Hope it is because they are all busy with the post launch flurry of activities. Just wishful thinking ? :)

Update 2: Moving - creating a new thread under Luminar AI group

Jeff Marcowitz

An - don't beat yourself up.  I bought Luminar 4 early in September and used it for about 3 weeks.  I didn't think I needed L4 and Luminar AI so I returned L4 and pre-ordered LAI.  Now that I'm using LAI, I'm very pleased with the decision.  The additional AI tools found in LAI are really good.  I've worked with Lightroom for years and am using LAI as a plugin.  I don't use LAI on every image and am still going through workflow refinement.  Bottom line is LAI is a great value and helps with the creative process w/o spending a ton of time.  But, it does take time to learn how each of the tools work...which is the case for any new software one uses.  Enjoy!!

Scott Hammock

Don't get me wrong by this post, I think LAI is a good product, but I'm truly struggling to understand the "real" differences between Luminar and LAI. Luminar has Looks (which frankly the layout is easier to use), where as LAI has Templates. They both do the same thing. They both have the Edit options for greater control. My guess is that the Luminar Library (only "real" feature difference I can find) sucked so hard, that rather than fixing it, Skylum said "We are releasing a brand NEW AND EXCITING product, and discontinuing Luminar!" I feel that sold us a load of hogwash by calling it a "new" product. It is just Luminar with couple of added features and without the totally disappointing Library feature. I think the honest thing for Skylum to have done, would be to apologized about their inability to properly implement the Library feature, offer a free upgrade (LAI) to everyone saying there were a few (this is not an exaggeration) of new features/upgrades, explaining this new version does not have the Library feature. And yes, I do feel I was ripped off. Check out this YouTube video for a very unbiased rundown of the differences. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFHkMmRy3hA

David Ullman

I totally agree with Scott's thoughts are right on the money.  I've  gone down the road with Skylum just about as far as I care to go (which is a number of years and products). This is a company with some strange ideas about marketing, about releasing products they know is flawed but they'll pre-sell it like crazy, answer questions with a "no we don't have that feature but we do have...",  or questions about why something doesn't work right with an answer that tells you " we're working hard to make it better." And fulfilling a "promise" is always set back in time. Their claims about a DAM being "just around the corner, so buy now!"  More to the point...

I really don't see a big difference between L4 and Luminar AI. I was an early signer, but I've asked for instructions as to cancelling, getting a refund (lots of luck)... or perhaps a credit to an updated version.  That said, right now I'm trying ON1 Raw Photo 2021. Looks good.

Please sign in to leave a comment.