Luminar AI vs. Luminar 4

Answered

Comments

66 comments

Christian Hampshire

Im very interested in the same thing!

Comment actions Permalink
    Roy Blackwell

First, I would suggest you watch Jim Nix's YouTube video on Luminar AI. Second, if you have not visited this page, I would take a look: https://skylum.com/luminar-ai. Third, an email to Skylum stating you are a recent purchaser of Luminar 4 might allow them to work with you on the cost of Luminar AI (no guarantee of course). Finally, Luminar AI comes with a 30 day money back guarantee upon launch. If you do not like it or it does not perform well on your system, you can get your money back.

Ivor Green

I would also like to know the same thing.  I recognised that a number of the advertised features are already in Luminar 4.  I looked at your recommended website and could not find any relevant comparative information.  The question is - has Luminar AI any features that are missing from Luminar 4?  As far as I can see it is the same with a simpler user interface and some of the Luminar 4 sliders missing.  Is that the case?  A detailed comparison would be nice.  

Margaret Bright

Hi everyone,

First of all, allow me to point out that Luminar AI is a brand new application - it is not an upgrade to Luminar 4. It is the first fully AI-powered image editing software in the world.

We built Luminar AI with Artificial Intelligence at its core. Artificial Intelligence saves you time and effort. Before, traditional editing software was outdated. It was time-consuming and hard to learn. It required effort and skills to get satisfying results. With Luminar AI, you can create great-looking photos much faster. It’s perfect for anyone, of any skill level. 

When you use Luminar AI, the experience is totally different from any traditional photo editor. You will quickly discover it is unlike any other tool you ever used. You will immediately experience the results.

• If you want amazing photos quickly, without extra complexity or wasted time, Luminar AI is for you. 
    • If you want to solve problems, Luminar AI is for you.
    • If you care more about the results created, than the process used, Luminar AI is for you.

Here is also a link to the video of Jim Nix that Roy has suggested to you above: https://youtu.be/--x6Lo8l-mY
    It is very informative and I think I may find all the answers you are looking for there.

More information regarding the app is coming soon, so please stay tuned!

Germán Rodrigo

Hi, I'm an user of Luminar Neptune. I was thinking to update my luminar but I'm not sure if it's better update to Luminar 4 or Luminar Ai. What I do? Thanks

Angela Andrieux

Hi Germán Rodrigo,

Since Luminar AI won't be released for a few months, I recommend getting Luminar 4 to use now and preordering Luminar AI so you have it upon release later this year. Go to https://skylum.com/l/luminar-checkout and be sure to check the box to add the Luminar AI preorder. Let us know if you have any questions!

Ivor Green

Hi Margaret,

You mention that Luminar AI is a new product and not Luminar 5.  My question is will there be a Luminar 5 in the future?

Is Luminar AI the way Luminar is heading in the future or will there be 2 separate product lines?

Dan Bishop

I I think the more pertinent question is whether or not there will be discount pricing for Luminar owners. I own 3 Skylum products and would like to see loyalty pricing for those of us that have supported the company in the past.

Roy Blackwell

@Dan Bishop: The loyalty pricing is $10 off if you own any other Skylum software product. If you are one of the first 30K to preorder, that is another $10 off. I do not see this pricing model changing anytime soon, if at all. I am fairly sure several thousand people have already preordered, many I am quite certain are existing customers of Luminar or some other Skylum software. Also, note that the cost gets you only one seat for one computer. Additional seats are $10 per additional seat.

Karen Sloan

For those of us who already own Skylum software (I have purchased Luminar 3 & Luminar 4),is the $10 loyalty pricing applied to the annual Luminar AI user fee, making it $49 instead of $59? Should I assume this would be a one-time discount, not applicable to future years? Also, if I so choose, can I use Topaz plugins with Luminar AI? 

Roy Blackwell

Karen Sloan: There is no annual user fee for Luminar AI. A preorder ($10 discount) plus current Skylum software user ($10 discount) results in a net price of $59 + tax. After all 30000 preorder spots are taken, a new user (does not own any Skylum software) will pay $79 for Luminar AI. A current Skylum software user, who purchases after the 30000 spots are all taken, will pay $69. Note also that the purchase price gets you one seat (license) for one computer. Additional seats are $10 each.

The only supported plugins are for Photoshop, Lightroom and Apple Photos. Other plugins that work with Photoshop/Lightroom may also work with Luminar. Topaz plugins are working in my Luminar 4.3.

Update 10.2.2020: It is my understanding the 30000 preorder promotion has been reached, so that $10 discount is no longer available.

Roger Seidule

Can Luminar AI be used as a plugin for Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020?

Roy Blackwell

Roger, according to Skylum Luminar AI does not support Photoshop Elements.

Jeff Marcowitz

I purchased Luminar 4 about 3 weeks ago and subsequently pre-ordered Luminar AI.  After using L4 and looking into AI through the AI Insiders group, I don't think I need both products.  Does anyone know how to get a refund from Skylum for my L4 purchase since I'm within the 30 day window?  No info on the website on how to do that.  I'm willing to go without L4 for 2-3 months while waiting for AI.  Thanks much.

Jeff

Roy Blackwell

Log a ticket with support:

https://www.skylum.com/support

Ivor Green

i am wondering if Luminar AI can be used as a plugin for Capture One.  I have been a long time Lightroom user and I am wondering (not certain yet) about jumping ship.

Ivor

Margaret Bright

Hi Ivor,

Regrettably, at this time the integration with Capture One is not planned. But we will surely consider implementing it in the future.

You will be able to use Luminar AI as a plug-in or extension for: 

• Lightroom Classic (starting from version 6)
    • Photoshop (from version CS5)
    • Photos for macOS
    Ivor Green

Alternatively do you have any suggestions of a workflow to use Luminar AI with capture one?

Margaret Bright

Ivor, at this time, there's no info regarding this as Luminar AI is still under development.

But as soon as I get any info about this, I will let you know :)

Pete Labrozzi

Recommended video: "I don't have the software, haven't used it, but look at that logo! Use my affiliate link!"

Jeff Marcowitz

@RoyBlackwell - I logged a support ticket as you suggested and received my refund on Luminar 4.  Now waiting for AI.  Thank you.

Jeffrey Korn

Hi Margaret,

You mentioned that Luminar AI can be a plug-in for Photoshop, Lightroom and Photos but you left out Elements.  But the Promotional ad on the website clearly also shows it can be a plug-in for Elements.  If that was just a simple error on your part, and it can be a plug in for Elements, what is the oldest Elements that can be used?  I have Photoshop Elements 14.  

And if I cannot use it with Elements, how is it used as a stand alone.  What can't it do?

Thanks,   Jeff

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jeff,

Luminar AI will not work as a plugin with Photoshop Elements. Luminar 4 can currently be used as a plugin with Elements.

If you found something on our website stating otherwise about Luminar AI, please let us know the exact link so we can address the discrepancy ASAP.

Luminar AI can definitely be used as a standalone. You have the option of using the Luminar Library to browse/organize images or you can load a single image at a time to edit.

Marcus Clarke

" It is the first fully AI-powered image editing software in the world." Thats what you said about Airmagic. 

That has been left by the wayside, forgotten. I guess from here on in skylum will put all their energy into Luminar ai and luminar 4 will lose updates in an attempt to get users to change products.

Andrew Cooper

Ive just paid for Luminar 4. I thought that was Luminar AI?
    Do I need Luminar 4 to use Luminar AI?

If not I might as well unistall 4, get the 30 day refund and pay to install Luminar AI

Jeff Marcowitz

Andrew - I also purchased L4 and determined I wouldn’t need L4 and AI. I returned L4 within the 30 day period and am waiting for AI to be released later this year.

Ed Correa

Can Luminar AI be used as a plug-in with Affinity Photo?

Kate Williams

Hi Ed, 

Luminar AI can be used as a plug-in or extension for: 

• Lightroom Classic (starting from version 6)
    • Photoshop (from version CS5)
    • Photos for macOS.

Right now, the integration with Affinity is not on our to-do list. At the same time, I understand why this is important for you. We've received a number of requests for the compatibility with Affinity, and we're sharing them with our development team for further review. At the moment, we're focused on refining what we have planned for Luminar AI and releasing a new update for Luminar 4. That said, we might consider the integration with Affinity for future iterations of Luminar, but it's yet to be validated. If there is any news with regard to this, we'll inform our community. 

Roland Kiss

Hi,

I have 2 questions.
    Is the cataloging part the same for both software?
    If i make a catalog under Win 10 can i open that on a macOS, or the catalog is platform specific ?

Thanks!
    Roland

Please sign in to leave a comment.