Luminar X

Answered

Comments

13 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Matthew,

Luminar X is an optional add-on for Luminar 4 that gives you access to exclusive education opportunities, and a regular delivery of new assets such as skies, Looks, and more. 

This doesn't change your current license for Luminar in any way. You can use your current version forever and any paid future upgrade is optional.

Comment actions Permalink
    Matthew Campagna

That doesn't really address the point. You're locking assets behind a pay wall, and marking them up because of tutorials that an experienced photographer simply does not need. And you're adding a subscription to a "NO SUBSCRIPTION" product. Video game companies do this all of the time; it's abusive and disheartening. It's also very similar to what Adobe did before discontinuing paid software altogether and moving EVERYTHING behind subscriptions.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Matthew,

Many of our additional assets can also be purchased individually in the Marketplace on our website. For instance, a single Looks pack or pack of skies can be around $25. For just $5/month, we'll be providing Luminar X members a monthly deliver of assets and education. It is actually a pretty sweet deal if you're just getting started with Luminar or you want to add to your asset library. However, I know it isn't a good fit for everyone. As I said, this is a completely optional add-on and won't change the software you already own.

Matthew Campagna

However you spin it, you can count me out. Quite possibly for good. I'm sure you'll soon be announcing Luminar 5 for a fall release, and you've now soured me altogether. Seeing this new direction for Skylum, Luminar 5 will have to be pretty incredible to bring me back. I didn't mind supporting Skylum until now, even while Luminar has continued to be incredibly unstable -- most days, I can barely used it for 15 minutes before it crashes -- because I thought it a product and brand with some potential, and the issues should eventually get fixed. They haven't; now this. But I guess you all can make a few bucks selling slider combinations and JPEGs of skies.

I can push my own sliders, there are plenty of free skies on Unsplash and elsewhere, and I don't need your tutorials.

Gerardo Medrano

Luminar x is also available foe Windows 10?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Gerardo,

Yes! The Luminar X Membership is available for all Luminar artists on both Windows and Mac.

Brett Christensen

Are the monthly looks going to be already released ones, or new ones?  I'm disappointed that we are being asked to subscribe when one of the main reasons I chose Luminar was no requirement for a subscription.  Now you are moving to that model  - even though you will respond and tell me that it is optional.

Jeff Lehman

I am interested in X, but was hoping it would be a monthly subscription and not prepaid for the year.  If you do decide to offer monthly subscriptions, you got me!

Kate Williams

Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot for this suggestion! :) We might consider adding monthly payments at some point in the future. I'll make sure to let our team know about your request

This is not directed toward OP. I read similar posts and all the replies regarding this subject, and I’m unsure why people are getting upset? I’ve been with Skylum/Macphun since before Creative Kit was created.
    The software has always been pay once and done. It still is.

The Luminar X MEMBERSHIP is entirely separate and optional.
    I don’t feel ripped of or threatened by the membership. It has no bearing on the editing software itself. Luminar isn’t sold as a stripped down version behind a paywall of unlocks. Every version adds upgraded features.

Unity (a game development software) has optional assets that are offered for purchase.

This, to me, sounds like saying, “I paid for Windows Operating System, now I have to pay more for various softwares to run on it?”

Luminar comes with some assets already. It was never sold as a “pay once, get ongoing assets etc for free”. The membership is just an add on. Developers and content creators should get paid for their time and efforts, yes?

Have you ever seen people selling their presets for Lightroom? If not, search for it, and you’ll find them easily. If you want it, great. If not, ignore it. No one is forcing us to pay for it.
    IF skylum ever presents a subscription model for their software, THEN I will reconsider.

Igor Vyvey

Luminar X is an optional subscription but provides monthly 'assets' in the form of skies, looks etc. Can you confirm that those acquired assets during an active membership period are retained after cessation of membership?

Agatha Winter

Hi Igor,

Please, be assured that all assets you get during an active membership period will retain even after the cancellation of the membership. 

Igor Vyvey

thanks Agatha

Please sign in to leave a comment.