Luminar Ai

Answered

Comments

38 comments

Roland Janner

That almost borders on insolence. Instead of bringing a working version of 4.xx you should spend money again ...

Comment actions Permalink
    Mike Leslie

This is the same that we heard with the release of Luminar 4, "We will be continuing support of Luminar 3 with fixes" as far as I can see the on fix was that to recognize CR3 files, with none of the  other major issues fixed in the 10 months since release.

I have been trying to use Luminar for a long period of time, they release a new version(that you have to pay for) it is unstable and slow, they never get it complete stabilized, they then release a new Luminar(that again have to pay for), and the cycle starts again.  

Elena Blum state Luminar AI is a brand new product. It is not an upgrade to Luminar 4.  But really is not it is Luminar 4 with new features, just as Luminar 4 was Luminar 3 with new features.

I believe all Luminar 4 owners should demand that this upgrade to Luminar AI be free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnathan Stabler

Just opened Luminar 4 to see if there is an update to fix the constant crashing issues. No update.

Instead I'm greeted by a promo window asking if I may be interested in pre-ordering Luminar AI.

As per my previous forum post, this is Skylum once again demonstrating how great it is at marketing and selling their software; but they fail at the important job of writing and maintaining software that works.

The absolute brass-neck to ask if I want to part with cash to buy the new go-faster-stripes application when the last one you sold me still isn't working!

Mike Leslie

I forgot.  Maybe as current owners of the product we boycott the upgrade, they will see that they must treat their customers with respect>  

Nigel Brownjohn

Yep, I love the message that Luminar is a one-time purchase unlike Adobe - but it's now an annual expense which is getting close to the Photographer's plan with Adobe.

Luminar 4 was promised as the new alternative to traditional photo-editing, and using AI to improve it. Now Skylum marketing has thrown Luminar 4 in the traditional bucket in order to pitch Luminar AI.

I like the mission, but continuing to move on to the next product before finishing the last is just getting old.

Be upfront, charge an annual subscription (for the product, not whatever the X subscription is) and build working software that you don't obsolete every year. At least Adobe keep iterating on the same product - rather than keep repackaging it so they can claim it's not related to the last thing they sold you!

AFAICT the price is the same for the first 30K new users as it is for me as a Photolemur, Luminar 3, 4 and Aurora customer. And basically all the promise of those (other than Aurora) is one-time purchase, AI-based photo-editing - sound familiar.?!

Ian Weir

I don't want a membership. PERIOD. All I want is a stand-alone product.

Nigel Brownjohn

Darryl Brooks

Ah well Luminar is not a platform ;)

Apparently it's just a series of entirely different products with the same base name, and same promises each time ... but each retains the capabilities of the last, while being all new, and infinitely unfinished at this point. Magic.

Wido Ballmann

LuminarAI? - Bitte sorgt doch erstmal dafür, daß Luminar 4 in einem vernünftigen Tempo benutzbar ist. Ich werde NICHT nochmal auf eine "noch bessere Bildbearbeitung" reinfallen. Die letzte Version brachte nicht den versprochenen Tempogewinn. Gerne würde ich zur Vorversion zurückkehren, aber die Datenbank ist ja leider nicht kompatibel. Wie oft muss ich hier noch bezahlen um eine funktionierende Software zu erhalten?   

Nigel Brownjohn

BTW: Thanks for re-opening the thread folks, this dialog needs to happen.

Malcolm Herd

As a customer and user of Luminar since it started I also have to add my disgust that once again we are invited to pay for a new product before release,  at a  preposterous price coupled with the fact that the current product is seriously flawed in many ways as demonstrated by the user comments in this forum. I also will be boycotting all future products from Skylum. as the marketing promise, and performance of Luminar is not to be believed.

Nigel Brownjohn

Ian Weir I understand your perspective, but as a software developer I know you have to keep the money coming in if you are to continue to add support for new things. I believe the subscription model would be more honest than pitching Luminar as a one-time purchase, because it is in fact an annual purchase of an ever unfinished product.

Mike Leslie Not so much of a boycott, but I will not be paying to upgrade to Luminar AI unless a) there is better consideration for prior purchases (I left out Luminar 2018, Flex and other purchases from my list), and b) the model is moved to a transparent annual subscription which is what it really is. At least new users know what they are getting into then.

The promise of Luminar is great. Really the AI promise started in Q3 of last year pre-selling L4. To move to a new product the following year is really insulting to those who have stuck with the program despite inability to deliver on promise.

Geo Hiker

I won't be switching, not for a mere 15% loyalty discount.  And I'm not really sure how much better it would be from Luminar 4.  It'd be nice if there was a table comparing all the features.

Nigel Brownjohn

Public discussion started at Petapixel on the back of the marketing department pushing the message out to there:

https://petapixel.com/2020/09/03/skylum-unveils-luminar-ai-a-fully-automated-ai-first-photo-editor

Note, the "Pro" tab which will have all the traditional tools - or Luminar 4 as it used to be known. You guys need to be honest. Three revision (2018,3, and 4) later, and on to another set of promises. Just admit it that it takes time to build quality (!) software, and it cannot be done for a one-time fee. Then go actually MAKE the quality software.

Daring Lee

Luminar will never catch Photoshop.  Especially if they keep up the ridiculous product morphing.   Tell us they've created a "brand new" product while deprecating the one we thought could be supported, maintained, and progressed for years.   

And, that is really unfortunate.  I've been using PS and Lightroom for decades and really didn't like their move to a subscription.  I know..that's the way the market is turning...but, doesn't mean we have to like it.  I really had thought..hoped..and prayed..Skylum would be the company to shift this paradigm.   Sell us a product that didn't require a subscription..that would have some semblance of free upgradability.  But no...obviously not happening. 

And please, quit speaking to us like we are the children that can't understand the concept that "LuminarAI is a brand new product. It is not an upgrade to Luminar 4. LuminarAI is a completely different way to create amazing photos.".  

Everyone understands and can read between the lines.   Luminar AI is, in fact, an upgrade to Luminar 4.   Contains many of the same elements.   You've just changed the brand.   C'mon..don't insult our intelligence after taking our money and demanding more for a "brand new" product.  

Paul Hazelwood

I bought luminar 4 for the sky replacement feature. Was well worth the price to me for that.  I bought luminar AI at the preorder price once I learned they will be adding sky replacement reflections later.   That feature is worth the price I paid for me personally.  Hopefully reflections will make luminar AI the same for me.   I have a few once in a lifetime photos that no matter how great a photographer someone is,  you have to deal with the sky you are dealt . 

I've said this before,  you really need to pressure the developers to make ALL tools available in local masking.   With that inability you have not really made it  faster to edit photos than what you could do in luminar 4.  In fact,  there is functionality in luminar 4 that speeds things up over luminar AI when it comes to layers.   If local masking takes the place of layers, then make it so ALL the tools, including templates are available otherwise all you have done is limit your product.

for instance, in luminar 4,  you apply a "look" and make a new layer and then you can reapply another look, fast.  You can't even do that in luminar AI.  

If you believed that you could create a product with one click editing, you wouldn't have added all the manual functionality,  very few photos are instantly done after applying one click presets and everyone knows it.  So at this point, you need to realize the limits of that manual functionality and make it better,     I hardly even bother using Luminar AI for my edits, because luminar 4 has more functionality that I need.   

But of course that is my personal way of doing things and I'm not a pro, so maybe my opinion doesn't matter.

Karl Buckholtz

even with latest updates Luminar AI still is slow,crashes out and or hangs...using windows 10.Am through with this program,nothing ever seems to get resolved...at least I have Luminar 4 to work with,and that does a good enough job for me...what a disappointment

Mike Leslie

As promised for Luminar 3

Wolfgang Jarcik

Genau - und für Luminar 3 gibt es seit einem Jahr kein Update mehr.

Wolfgang Jarcik

Ich meine ein Update welches Fehler bereinigt wie z.B.: Performance, DAM, Magic-Mouse und Exif-Daten-Bearbeitung usw.

Darryl Brooks

Here is what they said in a similar thread when v4 was announced. 

Luminar 4 will be a brand new app with a bunch of innovative AI features which bring your editing process to the next level. We developed unique technologies to enhance your images like never before. Step by step we will reveal all the bells and whistles Luminar 4 acquires.

Both Luminar 3 and Flex will be supported in terms of stability, performance, and compatibility.

As for the Library enhancements - we never abandoned the plans to implement them in Libraries. Luminar as a platform will acquire them in the future.

Rob Alfieri

Elena Blum, is there a release date for Luminar AI yet? Looking forward to it. Thanks.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Rob,

We expect Luminar AI to ship this holiday season for Mac and Windows. As we get closer to release, an expected date will be announced.

Wolfgang Ostertag

Hallo,

kaufen bereits länger mit Lumianar 4 auf einem Windows 10 System. Lichte gut bin sehr zufrieden.

Seit 4 Tagen habe ich Luminar AI, es macht Freude mit Luminar AI zu Beginn. Leider lässt sich die Funktion Colorharmonie nur zum Teil mit dem Pinselwerkzeug in der Grundeinstellung fühlen. Die Funktionen Farbkontrast / Farbtemperatur / Farbbalance lassen sich gar nicht bdienen. Radialmaske und Streckensmaske gehört ebenfalss nicht. War raten sie mir?

Habe diese Situation schon direkt dem Skylum Support betrifft, doch noch keine Antwort.

Vielen Dank für euer Feedback

Helga Rowles

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for submitting a support request! We're doing our best to reply within 24 hours, but it might take longer these days.
    Our German-speaking agent will get back to you via email as soon as possible. 

Sorry if this posts twice but I had problems getting this install to work properly. I stumbled across this fix and it worked for me on my Mac desktop and MacBook Pro both. I probably went through this a couple times but yep... worked for me anyway:

1. 1 Make sure Lightroom is not running. If the app was running, reboot your Mac before proceeding. 
    2. In the top-bar menu click Luminarᴬᴵ > Install Plugins.
    3. Click Uninstall next to Lightroom (If it says Install, click to toggle it to Uninstall)
    4. Reboot your Mac and launch Luminarᴬᴵ.
    5. Click Luminarᴬᴵ > Install Plugins.
    6. Click Install next to Lightroom.

You may be prompted to enter your Mac user password at some point, please do so.

If this doesn't help, please, reach out via https://skylum.com/support so we could assist you in a more effective way.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Agatha Winter

Hi Daring,

Thank you for sharing with us your thoughts.

Let me address your concerns.

Usually, we ship the upgrades (or a new software) every 12-24 months. The upgrades are the next versions of the app, which require purchasing a separate license for them and the upgrades are absolutely optional. 

We provide a lifetime license, which means that you pay once and can keep using the current version as long as your computer supports it.

In addition, please note that updates within one version of the app are absolutely free. We typically ship compatibility and minor feature updates within 12-24 months after the release. 

Also, we are always open to your suggestions. Please reach us via https://skylum.com/support if you have any. 

Helga Rowles

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your opinion with us, we really appreciate it!
    Although at this time there are no plans for adding other tools to the Local Adjustment tool, I can totally understand that it could be very helpful, and I will be happy to share your vote for this with our devs team. 

Klaus Schreiber

Mein installiertes Luminar AI lässt sich einfach nicht öffnen, was mach ich falsch?

Victoria Grace

Hallo Klaus,

Ich habe Ihnen in Ihrem anderen Post hier geantwortet:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360010484399

Please sign in to leave a comment.