Comments

64 comments

Ivan Toman

+1 for the linux build. Luminar 4 looks like great software, but noone that runs linux as primary desktop OS won't willing to paid for it if one has to reboot into Windows to use it. There are always other options out there instead of purchasing Luminar, but this is sad. Yes I know it requires more costs for new developers and your cost-benefit analysis probably says you will lose money if you do that, bla bla bla... keep in mind that there are lot of developers that might be interested in adapting software to linux for very small money. Maybe even for free if they will get it for free.

Comment actions Permalink
    Vita Bergman

Hi Ivan!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding the Linux version. I will pass your suggestion to the team in charge.

Should there be any interest in coming up with Linux support, I'd suggest just picking one distro to work with, and two of the most popular and Ubuntu and Mint.  It would be a start anyway.

Jakub Krchňavý

Yes. Also one of my dreams. 

Now I use RawTherapee and GIMP. It takes time to process my images, but I have no viable alternatives. I have build my own desktop for some heavy duty computing and I use Linux for years now. I'm newer coming back to windows. To even try Luminar I'd have to buy new SSD, buy windows, install everything, ... not going to happen. 

I can pay 200-300€ for software I want and that will save me a lot of time (Luminar sounds like it would). How many people like this do you need to make it happen? Can you start a crowdfunding campaign? "Are you a lone linux user and none of the big companies loves you? Do you wish that they will make software for you? Do you use free apps that lag 10 years in features behind? Would you buy linux app if somebody made one? PUTT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUNT IS!! It will happen when we raise xxxx???€€ on kickstarter". 

I would buy it. 

Nicolas Fischer

I have since a few years the same view like Jakub.

I do use Linux since 2006 as my OS on my Desktop and Notebooks as well. I am working with Darktable + GIMP and in the past I used Bibble/ Corel Aftershot. Getting Luminar to Linux would be awesome and to be honest having (again) a commercially supported product on that platform would sell.

I just purchased a fresh Panasonic S1R and I would love purchase a good close sourced/ commercial software for RAW file processing.

I like open standards etc. but I am purchasing good software and there is many SW out there which is NON-free and runs on Linux (perhaps coming even from other Unix Platforms and these never had been free of charge).

I give crowed founding idea a big THUMBS UP. Why not try such and campain and see if the money to make it happen can be collected. If not then do a refound!

Chema GD

Any timeline to get this linux? ;)

Victoria Grace

Our developers are aware of this feature request, however, there is no ETA on the Linux version of Luminar 4 app. However, we appreciate all your enthusiasm on it!

Chema GD

I will happily pay in advance if we have a timeline. I do not think the matter belongs to your developers. It's the management or the product owner whom needs to prioritize this.. You will get a unique community...

Anastasia Davis

Chema GD You are right, we will make sure this request is forwarded to the right person.

gerard brown

Plus one from me too.
    I have Luminar 3 & 4 on Windows but would really prefer to be able to run this on Linux.
    I get that Linux is not perceived as a platform for commercial software but I suspect you would be surprised at the response you'd get to a quality product like Luminar on Linux.

An alternative might be a subscription option of a web based editing option.  I would forgo the library features for this...  and it would support all platform of course :-)

Ben C

We  need linux version.

Lukas Hilmar

Yes, a linux version would be really nice. I dont want to run a virtual machine just for image editing :( The other linux image editing tools arent so feature rich and simple to handle like luminar. Please add it to your sprint goal =)

Mark Lopiccola

Now that Microsoft is "cozying up" to Linux, this will be more achievable?

Dennis Eisenschwein

Here are my 5 cents: I am also a Linux user and would like to use Luminar as a supplement or replacement for RawTherapee/ Darktable and GIMP. Most of all because of its excellent creative and artistic possibilities and functions! I am more than willing to pay an appropriate amount of money.
    It would be so wonderful if we could get this fine piece of software on our systems! Many people would be happy about that. Especially because them well-known companies will never be interested in Linux!

Victor Cordero

I also join, I hope someday they decide that Luminar would be a very good option for linux. Market opening, the fear of many.

William Allen

Also as a Linux, Darktable, and Gimp user, I would love to see a version of Luminar native to Linux.  While OSX is a *nix, I do understand the complexity of the different kernels and libraries, even though a lot of aspects are similar in *nix operating systems.... meaning I know it's not just a simple port.

That said, I think if you promote the possibility of a linux version through the correct linux and photography communities, you will get a lot of response of folks willing to purchase a linux version.  Just because we mostly use open source products does not mean we are unwilling to purchase certain specialty software.  Heck, I purchased Corel's After Shot Pro for linux long ago... but ended up on darktable because it is superior, not because it's "free".

Why is Linux getting more popular?

Windows is consumerized adware/spyware, and OSX is a walled garden (I dumped OSX after mavericks when one could no long deeply customize their desktops with products like candybar).  Been running Linux on my iMac since and haven't looked back.  However I just replaced my iMAC with a high-end NUC mounted to the back of a 34in curved 4k monitor.... so running OSX is no longer an option for me, even if I wanted to. (And no, I won't hackintosh my NUC).

Anyway...what I'm trying to say is if you put feelers out in the right areas... I bet you'd get a lot of response for a linux version... and subsequent sales.

Jörg Lippmann

The Luminar people should be aware of the fact that there is no competition from Adobe on Linux machines. You could really get a foot in the door of this market!

Also I want to make clear that Linux users are absolutely fine with paying for great programs, especially to honor the work porting it. Like many Linux users I bought a lot of licenses for Linux Applications in the past: LightZone, Corel Aftershot, LightWorks, AutoPanoGiga, NeatImage. It's all OK, because I needed it for my work. (I also bought a number of games from Steam.)

Speaking of Steam: They have developed a version of Wine (Proton) that supports more than 10000(!) popular windows games out of the box now. Maybe this would be an easy path to get a working version in a fraction of the time it usually takes to make a real port.

At the moment I use darktable, which is quite ok, but it does not offer the tools that Luminar has. 

Eric Young

I also only use Linux on my desktop and would like to buy your software.

Vitaliy Semochkin

I'm also willing to pay in advance for a future version of luminar on Linux.

I don't care if it will be wine/proton based  or a real port.

At the moment I use Corel AfterShort - it's good for basic editing, but not for hard retouching faces, so if you guys create a plugin for AfterShot - i'm willing to pay in advance too and even help you with testing.

Regards,

Vitaliy

Ehsan Shirvanian

as a developer I know depends on how the application is structured in back ends , it can be feasible to port apps that are made on mac OS to Linux based system( as we know MacOS initially is based on Linux)

so seems like this is not the case for Luminar unfortunately.

anyways ,If it comes to Linux I would be the first person to buy it.

Maurizio Zappettini

+1 for a Linux version

Lionel Grandao

I would like to also voice my interest in a Linux version. It certainly would make upgrading to Luminar AI a no-brainer for me.

Cilyan Olowen

There is a nice bundle to get Luminar 4 and Aurora HDR to test on Wine/Proton: https://www.humblebundle.com/software/aipowered-photo-editor-with-luminar-4-software?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_3

If enough people buy it mentionning "Linux", maybe they will see that the community is larger than they think..?

Ralph

Hi!

I would have bought Luminar much earlier if Linux is supported. I still have a W10 company laptop,
    but it makes no fun - most programs uses more ressources under W10 than under Linux.
    So I will not make any update when Linux is not supported ....
    Alle my other programs running both: Win and Linux:
    Raw therapee, Gimp, Inage Magick, Deep sky stacker, darktable and there some more Photo tools
    on my Linux system ...
    So I vote for Linux-Luminar as well !

J P

+1 linux for me. All my engineering friends and photography friends either use linux or want to switch to it but windows/mac only software/DRM's restrictions inhibit this. Luminar AI on linux would be awesome as Linux doesn't have as good of a "AI" or template based photo editor. They would be a stand out in a sea of mostly manual editing programs.

Jaroslav Lhoták

Also +1 for Linux port, I'm trying to run away from MS, but the vendors such as Adobe still don't recognize Linux market as mature / big enough so they'd invest into it. I hope Skylum will.

Roy Boivin II

I know threat was passed to engineering over a year ago but i think it would be nice for them to have another look at linux support. If they provided something like a snap install this would cover a large group of the linux community.

I keep trying to switch to linux but fall back top having to edit photos on other systems. With Microsoft having Teams on windows now im once again trying to move my main system to linux. im using Hiri for Office 365, Microsoft Teams native linux client, and davinci resolve for linux which leaves me with nothing solid for photo editing.

J P

It does take some time to break old habits of falling back on windows for the software that remains.

I agree with Roy in that, a snap install could cover most of linux and offers an easy way for the developers to push updates. Packaging it as a docker could also work as dockers contain all the needed dependencies for it to run and doesn't depend on the OS as much. Dockers and snaps are also gaining support to run on windows now too.

Anthony Winner

*1 for Linux support, all my photo tools are Linux but this one. at least test in VM or under wine so we have an alternative.

If you're a Linux user give up on this program they have no interest in supporting us. I've been watching this post for more than a year, nothing is happening. but in the meantime I have gotten very familiar with dark table it's outstanding there is a steep learning curve but you can do amazing things with dark table. And it's free. And updated on a regular basis. this will be my last post here I have no interest in any skylum products because they have no interest in me.

Please sign in to leave a comment.