Comments

35 comments

• Official comment
    Anna V

Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback.

We have forwarded you comments to the person in charge for further consideration.

Hope for your patience and understanding. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Denis Kotsee

Hi Olivier,

not in the foreseeable future. You can try using Wine or install a Windows VM but we can't guarantee that these options will work reliably. Dualboot is always an option.

Sherwood Botsford

Not a good idea for a small company:

For a Mac company to port to windows is a good idea:  It multiplies their market by a factor of 6 or 7 (81% vs 13%), although given the relative prominence of macs in the creative community, probably a smaller factor than that.  4? 5? times the market?

For a mac or windows linux desktops are a tiny market -- about 1.6%  (Linux is used in large numbers for servers, but you have to be pretty geeky to use is as a desktop.  I used it for decades as a system administrator as, at the time it was the only way I could easily have a terminal screen on 30 different servers.)

So why would *anyone* do it?

Linux is a good environment for prototyping.  The tools are world class, and largely free.  Linux is different enough that it forces developers to separate their software from the operating system.  This makes later maintenance much easier -- the main codebase is OS independent.  There is a thin layer that deals with the OS.  Change OS's change thin layer.  OS upgrade? Change thin layer.  

(As a counter example creative types learned to not do a Mac OS X major upgrade for 6 months to a year after Apple released it:  Adobe Creative Suite apps would break.  Once? Learning.  But time after time?...)

K.G. Wuensch

With the new requirement of OpenGL 3.3 and most of all current drivers they have reduced the Windows crows by a factor of 10 - because OpenGL is notoriously hard to maintain on Windows. Driver qulity is notoriously iffy and often you will get yout OpenGL support broken by system updates (which under Windows 10 will push newer but not necessarily better drivers)... So there will be big problems if Skylum doesn’t stop that development direction then the Windows version is a dead end which cost them a lot of money! If they instead would have gone for GDI+ with a little bit of DirectX then they would have had a chance because for that the support is magnitudes better than fo OpenGl!

Robert Stites

I would really appreciate having Luminar migrated to Linux or at least a version that can run in Wine and/or Virtual Box. I've paid for this application for Windows but my real computer is Ubuntu. 

Jon Fear

In all fairness, MAC OSX is a port of Linux and so the step towards Linux would not be that great.

I have always used Windows for desktop and Linux for servers however with the support for Window 7 time limited and Windows 10 being so intrusive, I am looking to move to a Linux desktop this year, almost certainly in the next 6 months.

Linux desktops are very stable and can match the look of Windows well. They are far more efficient than Windows with both memory and CPU management. You can run VM's under Linux but there are limitations and of course performance hits with running VM's unless carefully setup using the "better" virtualisation systems out there.

I for one would welcome the team working  with the community to get a Linux version deployed. I also have other users (work mates) who also like Linux and have Luminar 3 and so could help with the tests...

David Reagan

Erm, OSX is actually a Unix like operating system. Not a port of Linux. It does borrow from BSD. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS

So since Linux is a Unix like OS as well, there should be some overlap. But I'm not sure it would be a simple job to port any of Skylum's tools to Linux.

That said, I wonder if Skylum could just make a Linux version that also works on Windows 10 if you have Windows Subsystem for Linux installed? Heh.

Jon Fear

Hi David,

I want to get away from the Windows eco system. It is very intrusive and likes to report more data about me back to MS that I really want... I really do not like W10 and will not have it in the house having tried it on several systems. W7 is OK but is now reporting back to Redmond far too much.

I value my privacy...

Still I wait in hope.

José Luis Gallegos

I think we're all going the wrong way.
    The Linux market is currently very small. There's no doubt about that.
    But how many people have Windows or Mac systems wanting to switch to Linux?
    And if there are so many, why don't they (we) change?
    Because of the lack of programs like Luminar 3, for example.
    So you only have to think that the first commercial quality programs that land in the Linux world will ensure a privileged position for the future.
    The problem is that this step is costly and would take a long time to see favorable economic results, but I don't think it's a matter of many years either. In less than a year, Windows 7 support is over, and this is a very important moment.

A version that worked without problems in Wine would be a good first step.
    In reality, perhaps you would only need a good script to solve the installation problems. Maybe.

Jon Fear

Jose - Well said. I have now moved both my wife and I to Linux Mint. We are not going back. I will try to install Luminar3 under Wine however I do need to know the pre-requesites first. What other packages are needed for install? Almost certainly .net but which version or versions. Anything else?

I would much prefer to install natively but at a push I will try the Wine route. Windows in our house is dead... 

Colin Grant

I think Skylum and Luminar has enough issues without bringing Linux to the mix. In any event how long have these debates been going on. Linux has been THE desktop os is waiting seemingly forever and nothing changes. And nor will it in the foreseeable future. Taking the Linux route is a personal choice but if you move to open source you will have to rely on open source to provide the software. I moved across once but came back to Mac for this reason.

José Luis Gallegos

I'm switching to Linux and I've already bought several programs on Linux.
    If a version of Capture One for Linux were released tomorrow, even at a cost of $300, I would buy it without hesitation.
    These debates in my humble opinion are useful for businesses. Information to know what many users or potential users think.
    Just feedback.

What they do with this information is another matter.

Robert Stites

If Luminar was designed as a thin-client there wouldn't be much need for this discussion. I find the operating environment for Luminar and Skylum's other software products very limiting and that is the reason I won't be purchasing any of their other software.

Until Skylum decides to make their products compatible across a wider base of operating systems, I will stick with digiKam, Rawtherapee and Gimp.

Colin Grant

But C1 won't release tomorrow, nor will Adobe and nor will Skylum. That is the fact of it and no debates on here will make any difference. Business will carry out its own research and the numbers re Linux just do not stack up. The dynamics of Linux is probably also a problem - too many variants/distros and a development path that is hard to track as a result. 

Robert that is your prerogative and if you are happy with Gimp etc that is fine. Go for it. Gimp and Digikam (along with others) were instrumental is sending me back to the mainstream and I doubt I will ever go back to Linux. Have to admit Darktable is a great project though. 

José Luis Gallegos

I agree, too many variants, too many distros, but I have bought native Linux software that works well with all of them.

The important thing for me right now is that companies like Skylum know that there are many Linux users who are willing to pay for quality software.
    And that there are also many more users who want to switch to Linux than they imagine.
    And that the first companies to disembark in this universe will have advantageous positions, as I said before.
    I don't ask for miracles. I imagine that for Skylum to face something like this is probably impossible right now. That's why I only ask them to consider the possibility even if it's for a few years from now.
    One thing that will be within their reach is for some engineer to study the possibility of making some script so that their program (without changes) works in Wine.

Colin Grant

Ask away, although this is not the place for it really. Nobody will listen, like nobody has ever really listened. The question has been asked over at Affinity as well, with the same response. My advice is run the os you want but learn to live with the restrictions on software choice that might bring. You cannot necessarily have it both ways.

Mark Lopiccola

If and when you do port to Linux, I will finally be able to abandon the Windows/Adobe syndicate.

Wulff Martin

I am currently switching from Windows to Linux and have already successfully done it on my laptop.
    Darktable and Gimp are an excellent alternative and still open source, what more could you want?

Jon Fear

Wulff - Thank you for the tip about Darktable. It is very similar to Luminar and will get some use. I am well into replacing Windows now, the VM is only run up when I need something like IE for problem sites...

I've been a Linux user for several years. My last Windows OS was Win 2000 yeah its been that long!

I'd love to see this ported over to Linux. But now I use Darktable, (Also available for Windows), GIMP and an older app called LightZone. There's stuff available for Linux users, and many of us would pay for Luminar if it was available.

Checkbook's open...........

Mark Lopiccola

I think running the virtual machine will be the best/least painful option. WINE has been giving me nothing but grief, however, I no Linux expert.  There seems to be no escaping "threw the Window". 

Robert Stites

The developers aren't willing to do a Linux version. It's a very near sighted view.

Colin Grant

It is not near sighted at all. They cannot support a Mac and Windows version as it is. Heavens knows what would happen if they tried bringing a second tier OS into the equation.

Paul Easker

I also would appreciate Linux support. 

Mark Lopiccola

I abandoned Linux...  I just couldn't get it to run the software I wanted.  Disappointing to say the least.  My next experiment will be React OS. 

Actually now that I've started really exploring Darktable for Linux, I'm sold. May not have the presets that Luminar has, but you can create anything you want with Darktable. I'm still exploring it, but like it a lot.

Kenneth Bingham

I'm a Darktable user that's interested in buying Luminar if native Linux support or a seamless install with Steam+Proton is offered.

Maryna Skylum

Hi Kenneth,

I'm afraid, we do not plan on creating a version for Linux in the nearest future.

Jon Fear

If that is the case then remove me from your advertising mailing list. I am not interested in spending money on a product that will not run on a platform of my choice. Luminar 4 and all future Windows based editions will remain unsold in my house...

Jon Fear

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jon,

We are sorry to see you go. If you'd like to unsubscribe you can click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of all of our emails or you can email us at support@skylum.com and we can manually remove you from all of our distributions lists.

Please sign in to leave a comment.