Luminar4 crashes when exporting image running on Mac OS Big Sur Beta

Answered

Comments

37 comments

• Official comment
    Helga Hufflepuff

Hello Emad-ud-deen Leiman,

Thank you very much for bringing this up to our attention. Please, note that Luminar 4 has not been yet optimized for Big Sur macOS, thus we cannot guarantee smooth performance of the app. Most likely this issue appeared due to incompatibility. Of course, we do plan to implement compatible version in future updates.

Meanwhile here are the macOSs, which are compatible with Luminar 4: https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/technical-requirements

Comment actions Permalink
    Matthieu Morillon

Sounds to me that it's a nice piece of luck to have someone using the big sur beta and taking the time to report this crash 3 months before the official release !

I'm surprised and worried that no fix could be found within those 3 months, as this sounds like a major issue to me.

Anish Pyne

Need the fix for this ASAP for Luminar 4. My workflow is totally blocked because of the export issue. It is just amazing that people have been reporting this issue for 3-4 months now from OS Sur Beta version days and Skylum team is still unprepared to rollout the patch. This is really not acceptable if you want to have users use your apps more. 

Dmitry Ukhanov

You guys trying to compete with big boys like Adobe but during more than month can't fix critical issue. Meanwhile Lightroom and photoshop works fine in Big Sur. I was near been switched from Lightroom to Luminar. Thanks god i didn't done this.

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

Anish,

Please try my work-around until they release the upgrade.

Truly,
    Emad

Andreas Wiehrdt

It looks to me like all developers are working on Luminar AI. After all Skylum can earn new money with it. The Luminar4 users have already paid. Bad service!

Maurizio Loreti

Margaret Bright, "temporary inconvenience"?  The first report is dated "3 months ago".  Do you have a programming team somewhere, I mean programming and not preselling Luminar AI?

Elena Blum

Hi Grr .,

We're happy to announce that we've fixed the issue. You can now smoothly export your photos and share them with the world.

Alejando Arias

But still didn't solved the problem for Luminar 3.

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

Hi Helga,

Previously, I was using the software in Catalina successfully.

I was able to do a work-around. It let me export to a mail message but of course the file size was way to big to send so I was able to use the pop-up menu to "Save to downloads folder" after selecting the image.

Export in Aurora HDR 2019 also will not work. It never displays the export dialog widow but I was able to export using "Share" to mail in the same way as I did with export to Mail for Luminar.

Looks like both programmes may be using the same coding for the export routines.

By the way, I was Beta testing Luminar4 so I will be happy to test the next Beta or even Alpha versions since I'm Beta testing Big Sur.

Truly,
    Emad

Helga Hufflepuff

Emad-ud-deen Leiman,

Thank you very much for your kind cooperation on this matter :)

Of course, we won't leave these issues without attention, since we always do our best to keep our software updated. Appreciate your kind input!

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

Dmitry,

I would switch because you can use my work-around. It's only temporary because I'm sure by the time Big Sur is officially released to the public, the Luminar Big Sur updates will be finished. Luminar is so much better than LightRoom and you don't need a subscription.

Truly,
    Emad

Paolo Cecchini

Hi there.

Same situation here, iMac 27" 5K (late 2015) on Big Sur beta,  unable to export due to crash, but Emad's workaround works. Hopefully we'll get the fix from Skylum soon.

Rgs.

Luis Arevalo

I do have the same frustrating situation, also same trouble on Aurora HDR, no export. However, a solution while they make the updates... Ask Aurora to open in Photos. Photos will process the TIFF as it would be normally exported. Then from the Photos file is easily transferable to Lightroom. 

Roxy Warren

Still waiting on the fix to Luminar 4 and the exporting issue. OS Big Sur has been in Beta since June for Skylum to test out their software and find a fix. Meanwhile, I can't export any of my adjusted photos. 

Kirk Osborn

Hi! I'm afraid that we are not going to roll out the compatibility update for a Beta version of the new MacOS.

Please wait for the official release of the new MacOS.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jon Canfield

Are you going to be ready with an update on Nov. 10? I'm currently getting around the export issue by opening the image in Photoshop and saving, but export isn't the only issue.

Big Sur is much less forgiving of nil objects

Dmitry Ukhanov

Luminar is now officially wasted!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

We are aware of the export issue and are working on a fix. Please see this post for more info: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009885339-macOS-Big-Sur-Known-Issues

I just found this out myself after updating to Big Sur.  After finishing a project I tried to export images and it just crashes every time.  I have a due date to deliver images to a client.  Wow, really disappointed and didn't see this coming......   You could have at least let us know not to update to Big Sur because of this issue.

You may want to fix this ASAP as I'm sure you will have many unsatisfied customers.

Yes, I was able to open images in Luminar 4 with Photoshop and then save the file.  It took a long time to export 49 images, but I was able to deliver my photos to my client.

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

Bob,

Did you try my work-around I posted some time ago?

All it takes is to export the photos to your email. When your email opens up with the photos, just right click them and export them to your downloads folder or whichever folder you keep your photos in.

Truly,
    Emad

Matthieu Morillon

Hello Emad,

On my end, I had tried your solution, but there doesn't seem to be a way to select the quality of the exported pictures, is there ?
    During my trials, I ended up with files 20 times smaller than the exports I usually care to have.

Regards,

Matthieu

No Emad, I didn't try your workaround.  Thanks for reposting, next time I will give that method a try if need be.

Thanks,

Bob

Daniel Michels

Hi there!
    Thanks Emad for the workaround. In my case it works but the export is a TIFF file... I would prefer jpg... no, I would prefer a hotfix for Luminar :-) 
    Angela Andrieux this problem is known since months... when is ETA for the hotfix?
    Regards, -Daniel-

Austin Miller

Hello Daniel. We are going to release an update for macOS Big Sur in the nearest time. Our developers are already working on it!

Mark Lawrence

Hi Everyone

Export crashes since Big Sur update as well.

Here is another workaround - I've imported image into Photos then edit using plugin for Aurora HDR or Luminar 4 via Photos application.

Apply changes and then export via Photos, can choose jpg etc

Hope this helps, be interesting to see if this works for anyone else.

Regards

Mark

Margaret Bright

Hi Andreas,

Please note that all of our techs are currently focused on preparing the compatibility updates for Luminar 4 and Aurora HDR. 

I apologize for the temporary inconvenience and assure you that the update is going to be ready very soon.

Please stay tuned!

Grr .

Hey,

I have this same issue.

Wanted to export modified image and Luminar 4 crashed everytime on Big Sur :( 

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

Only a few of you are using my work-around which I posted when I discovered the problem caused by Big Sur. I will repost it here again for those who don't want to do that. It's so simple. The screenshots will explain everything. Come on. This is only temporary. Not all software is compatible with Big Sur at the moment and many software companies are also struggling to make their software compatible with those changes made by Apple.

Please sign in to leave a comment.