CR3 Canon R5 problems

Answered

Comments

28 comments

• Official comment
    Anastasia Davis

Hi Ricardo! Please note that this is quite a new camera. It was released on July 20, 2020. It is not supported by Luminar yet.

Nevertheless, we are constantly adding support for new cameras. 

Meanwhile, please convert your RAW files to DNG. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Steve Ratts

Have you tried converting to DNG and working with that?

Ricardo Rodriguez

Hi Steve , no i don't as i know that CR3 files it's supported , nevertheless i converted in Jpeg and it was ok , but i want to work on a Raw File.

Steve Ratts

Well, CR3 files are *supposed* to be supported, but if you want to work with a RAW file and you're not getting the result you expect using Canon's CR3 file, then try DNG - it's also RAW, just in an Adobe format. It will certainly be better than using JPG.

Ricardo Rodriguez

Steve , I know they are supported as I have a friend who both the Canon R
    2 years ago (Cr3 files ) and he have to develop them in Lightroom and since 1 year I can do it in luminar 4.

Ricardo Rodriguez

Cr3 Canon R5 not yet supported
    Thanks to Anastasia from support to have answer my request 🙏🏻

Steve Ratts

I'm curious about your statement Anastasia Davis. Yes, the R5 is a new camera, but CR3 is *not* a new format. If Luminar can support CR3 from other cameras, why not the R5 too? Other SW doesn't seem to have this issue. When a new camera comes out that's using an existing RAW format other SW supporting that format doesn't need to release an update for the new camera as they've already got support for the format - which hasn't changed.

Also, if converting to DNG makes it work, then that would suggest it's not about the camera. A DNG file is just a RAW file in the DNG format. If Luminar supports DNG, then we can always convert to DNG and that's the SkyLum answer - but if Luminar supports CR3, then suddenly you point to the camera? Makes no sense.

Please get an answer from your technical team for why CR3 from an R5 doesn't work when CR3 from other cameras does and post it here. I'm sure there will be lots of folks with the same question on their mind.

Thanks!

Steve

Helena Carter

Hi Steve,

We're constantly working on expanding the supported camera list. Thus, it's just a matter of time until the app is able to read the files produced by the camera properly. 

I've just double-checked with our techs. Please, note that supporting the format doesn't mean supporting each camera that shoots in this format, because each camera has its own sensors, iso, blacks level, tone curves, while balance peculiarities and other parameters. Hope it answers your question :)

Tom Chen

Hi Helena, 

When will Luminar support Canon R5 CR3 file? Thanks

Best

T

David Dixon

Add me to the list of those eagerly awaiting Canon R5 support!

Thanks

Anastasia Davis

Hi guys! I am afraid there is no ETA yet. Nevertheless, we will do our best to do it asap.

Alan Davis

I too have a Canon R5 and would greatly appreciate support for it. The workflow of converting to DNG and then working in Luminar 4 or Aurora HDR is not easy.

I truly enjoy the Skylum products.

Best regards,

Alan Davis

Austin Miller

Hi Alan. Regrettably, you need to use the Adobe DNG Converter for now. We will do our best to implement the Canon R5 support in the nearest future!

Javier Mendoza

I too am waiting for this update. I tried to view some images, and they come out looking terrible. converting to DNG will annoy me. please fix asap

Keoua M

Yup....waiting for an update for the R5 to work in Luminar 4 too....and still waiting for support for Aurora HDR. 

I saw another post where Kate Williams from support says:

"At the moment, we're mainly focused on the development of our main product - Luminar. "

So it seems Aurora HDR will never support CR3.

That conversation can be found here:  https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009696520-Aurora-HDR-2020

Sam Brown

Been using Luminar 4 and converting my Canon R5 files to DNG using the Adobe converter and getting horrible amounts of noise in the images even as low as ISO 1600 and using the "De-noise" function in the program does not work particularly well

to the point of even considering going back to Lightroom :(

I've pre-ordered Luminar AI , can you tell me will Luminar AI  fully support CR3 file format please.

Helga Rowles

Hi Sam,

In the initial release, Luminar AI will only support cameras that are now supported by Luminar 4:
    https://media.macphun.com/uploads/uploads/luminar/Luminar_4_430_Supported_Cameras.pdf 

However, we will be definitely adding new cameras to this list with future updates.

Steve Ratts

Hi Helga, I'd just like to call your attention to two things here.

On1 2021 released on 11/2/2020 and it supports the Canon R5 & R6 CR3 format, they've stated they'll be rolling out support for these cameras in their older product On1 2020 in their next release. I point this out in the faint hope that perhaps we can finally get Skylum's long over due attention on this matter. Skylum's competitors are already supporting these cameras. Adobe has been supporting them since the cameras were released this past summer. Skylum should have been at the front of the line supporting these cameras, not lagging far back in the pack.

There's one other point I'd like to call your attention to. Your answer is a non-answer. You stated "we will be definitely adding new cameras to this list with future updates" Oh really, do tell! Which cameras? No answer there. When? Nope, not an answer. Stating that you're going to add some vaguely defined capability (which may not even included the requested capability) at some unspecified and completely ambiguous future date is just wasting your breath and our time.

The Canon R5 is very possibly the best camera Canon has ever produced. The photographic community has known this as a demonstrated reality since the bodies were released in August, and has been actively aware and discussing the possibility since Canon announced them. These are phenomenal camera bodies, and your competitors are already supporting them. Developers have had access to the technical data resources needed to prepare since well before the bodies were released. And here you can't even commit to saying you'll support them?

**Queue Skylum response that we can convert to DNG here** (yawn)

Sam Brown

Hi Helga,

This is a very disappointing response.

I echo the observations Steve Ratts makes and go further.

The link supplied for "supported cameras" returns a 404 Page Not found return.

We are now into the 5th month of the Canon R5 release.

I'm being bombarded constantly with ad's from Skylum to pre-order LuminarAI yet if Skylum

put half that much effect into the upgrade to their existing customers to support CR3, Skylum would not be letting is current customers down so badly.

Converting to DNG, not only adds time to your work flow and space up on your hard drive, but also destroys the Canon colours in the RAW file and the noise handling properties of Luminar 4 with DNG files is for want of a better description horrendous. This simply is not worth considering now and lots of other Canon high end camera users in the multiple photography forums I belong to also ask the question "why would you convert to DNG and destroy some of the IQ when you've spent so much money on a high end camera to produce high IQ files. My advice to them is to find a RAW file editor which fully supports CR3 which is not Luminar 4 or LuminarAI.

I wish to cancel my pre-order now of LuminarAI as it does not support my camera and terefore is of no use as a RAW file editor to me. Please advise how I do this.

I'll be returningto another make of RAW file editor and will stop supporting Skylum until Skylum starts suporting it's current customers.

Angela Andrieux

Apologies for the broken link. Please try this one.

Joël Staub

I just downloaded Luminar AI and to my shock it does NOT support CR3 Canon R5 RAW files.

This is just disappointing. Any response from Skylum?

PS: Even worse is that Luminar AI is Intel only. It's NOT optimized for the new M1 chips. That's sad.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Joël Staub,

I don't have a specific ETA on Canon EOS R5 support that I can share at the moment. However, we're constantly working on expanding the supported camera list. Thus, it's just a matter of time until the app is able to read the files produced by your camera properly. 

For now, we recommend you to install Adobe DNG Converter and convert your RAW files to DNG file format (which is supported by Luminar). 

Please use one of the links below to download Adobe DNG Converter:

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/ 

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/ 

As for the new M1 Chips, Skylum is a member of the Apple Developer program. We’ve received the prototype hardware, and right now we’re working with it to ensure that LuminarAI will be compatible with these new processors. We have a long history of developing for the Mac platform and will ensure that all our technologies are perfectly adapted for the new hardware.

The native support on the M1 chips may take some time. However, using the software on new Macs will be possible much faster than the native support due to Rosetta 2 that aids the transition. This translation process will provide you with a fully operational software. Luminar AI is expected to launch in compatibility mode with the new Macs by the end of January. 

BNH Photography

- Eagerly awaited the release of Luminar AI, will this finally be the release that makes all the money I spent usable?

- Doesn't work with Canon CR3 raw files as i'm making a video about Luminar AI.

- All hype then disappointment

- This is not the way.

Abby Bookhultz

I too own the Canon R5 and am disappointed in Skylum for not supporting cr3 files. Skylum has many loyal followers, purchasing their products as they are developed. However, it does not seem the company is loyal to their customers. If you develop a new program, these programs should include support for the latest camera files before release. CR3 files are not a new format and asking software buyers to convert to DNG is not an acceptable answer. Skylum should invest time towards supporting this format in the very near future. While I had pre-ordered Luminar AI, I very rarely use Luminar now, due to the lack of support for cr3 files. 

Keoua M

Agreed.  I really believe that Skylum doesn't care to bother with the CR3 format.  It's been out for over 2 years now, and they are basically saying "screw you" to every current and future Canon user utilizing the RAW format Canon provides.   The truth is they probably don't have enough Canon users so they look the other way.  If there was enough business to "lose" money over, they'd definitely get it up and rolling.  They say it's a tough format to code their software with, but how does every other major company out there on the internet work except Skylum?  Two answers...

1) They don't care

or

2) They don't have the technical skills to accomplish it.

Let's put our money into other software that cares about staying up to date..oh yea and those who care about their current customers.

Surprising that Skylum hasn't fixed this. Anyways adding my comment hoping this will draw more attention to this issue !! It's an important one

Sam Brown

Going to give Skylum another month or so without being able to properly use their software with the CR3 files and then will be voting with my feet like over 8000 of others now who have requested refunds within the first 30 days for various reasons that LuminarAI does not meet expectations

David Dixon

I’m sorry, but I simply could not wait longer. I have moved to DXO PhotoLab, which has had full R5 support since back in the fall. I’m very pleased with it. Good luck to all.

Please sign in to leave a comment.