CR3 Canon R5 problems

Answered

Comments

11 comments

• Official comment
    Anastasia Davis

Hi Ricardo! Please note that this is quite a new camera. It was released on July 20, 2020. It is not supported by Luminar yet.

Nevertheless, we are constantly adding support for new cameras. 

Meanwhile, please convert your RAW files to DNG. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Steve Ratts

Have you tried converting to DNG and working with that?

Ricardo Rodriguez

Hi Steve , no i don't as i know that CR3 files it's supported , nevertheless i converted in Jpeg and it was ok , but i want to work on a Raw File.

Steve Ratts

Well, CR3 files are *supposed* to be supported, but if you want to work with a RAW file and you're not getting the result you expect using Canon's CR3 file, then try DNG - it's also RAW, just in an Adobe format. It will certainly be better than using JPG.

Ricardo Rodriguez

Steve , I know they are supported as I have a friend who both the Canon R
    2 years ago (Cr3 files ) and he have to develop them in Lightroom and since 1 year I can do it in luminar 4.

Ricardo Rodriguez

Cr3 Canon R5 not yet supported
    Thanks to Anastasia from support to have answer my request 🙏🏻

Steve Ratts

I'm curious about your statement Anastasia Davis. Yes, the R5 is a new camera, but CR3 is *not* a new format. If Luminar can support CR3 from other cameras, why not the R5 too? Other SW doesn't seem to have this issue. When a new camera comes out that's using an existing RAW format other SW supporting that format doesn't need to release an update for the new camera as they've already got support for the format - which hasn't changed.

Also, if converting to DNG makes it work, then that would suggest it's not about the camera. A DNG file is just a RAW file in the DNG format. If Luminar supports DNG, then we can always convert to DNG and that's the SkyLum answer - but if Luminar supports CR3, then suddenly you point to the camera? Makes no sense.

Please get an answer from your technical team for why CR3 from an R5 doesn't work when CR3 from other cameras does and post it here. I'm sure there will be lots of folks with the same question on their mind.

Thanks!

Steve

Helena Carter

Hi Steve,

We're constantly working on expanding the supported camera list. Thus, it's just a matter of time until the app is able to read the files produced by the camera properly. 

I've just double-checked with our techs. Please, note that supporting the format doesn't mean supporting each camera that shoots in this format, because each camera has its own sensors, iso, blacks level, tone curves, while balance peculiarities and other parameters. Hope it answers your question :)

Tom Chen

Hi Helena, 

When will Luminar support Canon R5 CR3 file? Thanks

Best

T

David Dixon

Add me to the list of those eagerly awaiting Canon R5 support!

Thanks

Anastasia Davis

Hi guys! I am afraid there is no ETA yet. Nevertheless, we will do our best to do it asap.

Please sign in to leave a comment.