Images turn black after "Image processing" shows to load in Luminar 4

Answered

Comments

31 comments

Elena Blum

Hi J BB ,

We need to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs. Please send us a screen recording of what you do in the software before encountering the issue. Here's how to record a screen on Mac:

https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/record-your-screen-qtp97b08e666/mac

Also, please send us the original images.

Here's how you can send us the file:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the email at support@skylum.com
    Comment actions Permalink
    J BB

Thanks for the quick response!

Just sent :)

David Dunk

J BB...

Try turning OFF the "Use Graphic Processor" in Preferences. 
    That worked for me.

J BB

Wow that worked! Amazing thanks a lot David

David Dunk

Your welcome J BB. 

Remember...there are still other issues using Big Sur in beta...such as Luminar crashing when you try to export a photo to a file. Exporting to Photos or Lightroom seems to work ok but not to your hard drive. It will crash whether you have Graphic Processor enabled or not. 

I just upgraded to Big Sur this weekend.  Now when in Photoshop and use Luminar4 to replace the sky, once returning from Luminar 4 the layer is black.  Disabling graphics processor did not help. 

I just upgraded to Big Sur this weekend.  Now when in Photoshop and use Luminar4 to replace the sky, once returning from Luminar 4 the layer is black.  Disabling graphics processor did not help. But just tried using Luminar 4 as external plugin to Lightroom and it worked.

Werner Kratz

It's exactly the same with me. After the "BigSur"-Update calling Luminar 4 from Photoshop always results in a black image. Calling Luminar 4 from Lightroom Classic works fine as before.

Eric Gerards

Today I did an upgrade of my Macbook to MacOS Big Sur and when I invoked Luminar 4 from Photoshop Elements (2019), it returned a black image to Photoshop Elements, just like others have described.

Just now I found a fix for this: I always used to import my Olympus raw files in 16 bit mode and did then the whole processing, including edits in Luminar 4. I thought this issue might be related to that and therefore I opened a raw file in 8 bit mode and invoked Luminar 4 again from Photoshop Elements. To my relief that worked! No more black screen as a result.

Marco Brivio

Luminar 4.3.2 (8095)

Photoshop 22.0.1
    Mac OS X 11.0.1

I can confirm the only workaround is to open Luminar plugin on 8 bit images. If on 16 bit, you get the black screen result. It is NOT a matter of graphic processor to be disabled.

SKYLUM DEVELOPERS, PLEASE FIX THIS HUGE BUG !

Agatha Winter

Hi guys,

Our team is currently investigating the issue and we hope it is going to be resolved soon. 

What we do know so far is that the issue mostly persists for 16-bit files. The 8-bit files do not exhibit such a behavior. 

For now, you can either process 16-bit TIFFs in the standalone version of Luminar or send 8-bit files to the Luminar plugin. 

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. We will keep you updated on this problem.

Fito Pardo

I have Exactly the same problem, and I am addicted to post process my images in 16bit, not 8, please fix this guys!

Ritchie George

Having the same issue using Luminar as a plug-in for photoshop I can edit but when I return the image to photoshop get a black image! Lightroom works perfectly and photoshop worked perfectly before up dating the Mac to Big Sur. Please fix the bug ASAP massive inconvenience!!!!

Sayed Pallab

Having the problem now. Can not work on my Mac now. When will we get a solution?

Anastasia Davis

Hi guys! As we mentioned above, we are working on it. We will do our best to fix this issue asap. Please stay tuned!

Francisco Jesus Gorrin Garcia

Same issue as everyone here, when calling plugin Luminar 4 from Photoshop and after apply the edit when it goes back to Photoshop a black layer is on top an no photo can be displayed. please fix issue VERY FAST!!!

Eric Gerards

Great news! I just got an update on my Mac to MacOS 11.1 and immediately after this update I retried to process an image as a 16-bit file in Photoshop and invoked Luminar 4, did some editing and returned to Photoshop. No more black images!

So eventually this seems to be something that Apple had to fix and indeed fixed it.

I have the same issue in Windows 10.  So it's apparently not fixed everywhere.  Is there a workaround?

Kate Williams

The issue discussed here was related to the Big Sur beta and its first official version. 

Since you're on Windows,  the issue you're experiencing must have an entirely different nature. 

Could you please try to create a new local user account and name it Test, then check whether you're able to use the PS plugin properly there? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-10-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d 

If the issue persists, could you please provide us with the screen recording of the issue as well as the original photo you're working with?  Please reach us here: https://skylum.com/support
    You can use Monosnap to record your screen: https://monosnap.com/welcome

Here's how you can send us the file with the recording:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request at https://skylum.com/support

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Stefani Twyford

I am still using Catalina and have been having this problem as well. i've disabled graphics processing, changed to 8 bits, 16, etc and still get the black screen.

The only way I"m able to use Luminar right now is to do some initial editing in Photoshop, save the image, open it in Luminar, do my adjustments and then File > Open in Photoshop. This seems a bit clunky way to interface.

Usnea

I just updated to Catalina and am having the same problem. If I use Luminar as a plugin through Photoshop, the files comes back to Photoshop black.

Funny enough, I'm having a similar problem in the trial version of ON1 2022, though not as a plugin. If I go to edit any specific photo it turns black.

So I suspect there's an update issue.

I don't want to go higher than Catalina as I'm working on an older computer. I know you folks at Skylum have pretty much abandoned L4, but is anyone working on identifying what the incompatibility is?

This issues make L4 unusable as a plugin. And no, it doesn't work for me to edit in LR/PS and then in L4 as a standalone, L4 takes way too long to load on my computer to make it part of my workflow.

Helga Rowles

Hi Usnea & Stefani,

Our support agent has just reached you via email regarding this problem. We hope this will be helpful.

Pascal Biston

Hello, since upgrade to Catalina, I have the same issue. Is the problem solved ? Thanks.

Austin Miller

Hello Pascal,

Please try to roll back to the version 4.2.0 - https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/mac/Luminar4_420.dmg

The issue should not appear in it.

Pascal Biston

Hello Austin Miller,

Sorry but did not work, always a black screen :(

Austin Miller

Hello Pascal,

I'm sorry to hear that the issue persists.

Could you please reach us at support@skylum.com so we can look into the issue?

Przemyslaw Jenarzewski

I also have this issue with new version, which is useless because of it!

Pascal Biston

Przemyslaw Jenarzewski, I've upgrade to Luminar Ai and go to Big Sur. It works.

Kate Williams

Hi Przemyslaw,

If you have macOS Catalina, I recommend verifying whether it's possible to upgrade to a higher operating system version (Big Sur or above). 

If this is not something your computer allows, please contact us at https://skylum.com/support 
    We'll see what can be done in this case. 

Przemyslaw Jenarzewski

Hi Kate;
    I have Windows 11 with Luminar Neo newest version) and already send my system info through E-Mail.

I need to develop my raw files but with black images after loading I can not!

Please sign in to leave a comment.