Some raw files are duplicating every time I start Luminar 3

Answered

Comments

36 comments

Brian Finch

I have been experiencing this problem too - I bought a new Mac Mini a couple of weeks ago; used Apple's Migration Assistant to move everything from my old Mini to my new one, and now in my library I often see duplicates of both RAW and JPG files.

Every time I restart Luminar 3, my total number of images jumps by about 5200. I did a test - start Luminar, see the total number of files in the library, and exit Luminar, without doing ANYTHING else. Repeat several times. I saw these file counts:

I've also sent a message to Skylum support about this, but have so far heard nothing.

Comment actions Permalink
    Elena Blum

Hi Mohamed, Hi Brian,

Please try to go to the Library tab on the right. Rename your top library folder directly in Luminar. The name should change on your computer. Restart Luminar.

In case it doesn't work, please create a new catalog: File> Catalog> new.

Alan Rabinoff

Elena, I see that your comment refers to Luminar 4. Does your solution also apply to Luminar 3?

Elena Blum

Sorry for the confusion, Alan! Yes, it is ;-)

Mohamed Zeglam

Hi Elena, 

I have renamed the top folder the way you mentioned, now I only have only 2 copies of each picture from those affected (in other words 1 duplicate), tried to quit and reopen Luminar 3, and no more duplicates have been created so far.  

Jørgen Lock-Andersen

I made a comment on the same problem 14 days ago and another member experienced exactly the same happening to him. It occurs with both raw and jpeg files and in the same manner on my Macbook and my  iMac. Making another catalogue as suggested by Luminar Support does not solve the problem just creates new problems. Importing images and folders from both external medias like a usb-stick and or from existing mages and folders already present on the computers harddrive replicate the problem. 

The DAM seems to create something lige virtuel copies of existing images although Luminar does not support virtual copies. 

I have not seen this problem with the previous versions of Luminar o it appears to be a bug in the present version 4. 

Jørgen Lock-Andersen

It appears that Luminar repeats the copying process with every start-up as long as the original file is present. I have tried to remove the "extra copies" and move them to the Luminar Trash bin but new "copies" still appear with every new start-up. Furthermore, I can't empty the Trash bin. 

I believe that the problem is related to the new version 4.3, as I have not seen it in previous versions of Luminar 4 or in Luminar 3. 

Dont know if they is a problem related to Mac OS - is it also found in the Window version ? 

Kirk Osborn

Could you please right-click on one of the duplicate images and select 'Show in Finder' option? Please let us know where these duplicates are created.

Brian Finch

So when I do this, looking in my "All Photos" library, I have many instances now where I have one visible photo, and up to seven black images, all with the same names, "Show in Finder" for the black images brings up a finder window that just points to wherever that window was previously pointing (possibly a completely unrelated folder), and the visible photo will go to the place where that image is actually located. 

In its current state, my "Pictures" folder says I have 11,413 images, which sounds about right, and my "All Photos" Shortcut says I have 63,646 images, many of which are these black images with the names of legitimate images.

Mohamed Zeglam

@Kirk Osborn

They all lead to the same image file in finder.

Jørgen Lock-Andersen

I have now managed to "move" all the duplicate "ghost" photos and the original files into the Luminar Trash Bin. So I now have 5 photos in the library but 370 ghost photos in the Trash bin. And it is not possible to remove or delete any of them from Trash. Clicking the Delete function on any of the ghost files in the bin only leads to this mysterious message "This file #filename# dosen't exist !! 

Clicking the Empty Trash only leads to a similar message "This file #filename" dosen't exist". 

I will repeat that this problem was not seen on my computers in the version 3 of Luminar nor in version 4.0, 4,1 or 4.2

Sadly, I have to say that the Library function in its present form in version 4.3 is utterly unusable for me both no my MacBook and iMac computers. 

Margaret Bright

Hi Jørgen,

"This file #filename doesn't exist" message pops up when Luminar cannot locate the image on your drive for some reason.

Before you have moved the images to Trash, have you been able to locate the copies via the 'Show in Finder' option?

I think this issue may need a deeper investigation. Could you please get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support? They will help you get this sorted out.

Jørgen Lock-Andersen

Hi Margaret 

After trying all sorts of different ways to import photos into the Library of Luminar 4.3 and experiencing the same problem with increasing numbers of "ghost" photos being created with every start-up, I finally gave up. 

And as a last resort I tried what Luminar Support initially suggested and created a new catalog and now things seem to work. Still don't know what causes the problem but on my computer creating a new catalog and only sticking to this appears to be the solution. 

Mike Leslie

I had this problem and moved the catalog to a location not referenced in the catalog And it seemed to resolve problem

Mark Hoger

Experiencing the same thing as others described above (using Luminar 3). I created a new catalog with the same folders and the catalog appears correctly with only one copy of the pictures but none of my edits or albums exist in the new catalog. This is not a reasonable solution unless there is a way to transfer edits from one catalog to the other. 

Janne Sinkkonen

I have the same problem. Multiple copies in filmstrip leading to the same file (Luminar 4).

Mohamed Zeglam

I think Skylum does not care, we are suffering from this bug for months now, and not even a promise from Skylum to fix it has been made. What a shame. 

Austin Miller

Hello Mohamed. Could you please specify where your catalog is located?

Mark Hoger

My catalog was originally in the same location as the referenced photos. I have sinced moved it as has been suggested. This did not resolve the issue.

Janne Sinkkonen

I went through this with the support, for Luminar 4.

It is possible to regenerate thumbnails for the old catalog according to their advice, and that resolved the multiplication issue for me. The old catalog doesn't see the newest photos though — they are in an imported folder. The advice was to abandon the old catalog, start a new catalog and import there only clean folders without any kind of catalogs or extra files, just photos. 

Yes, old edits are in the old catalog only, but you can visit it when needed. 

Mark Hoger

Thanks Janne. If the solution is to start over than I probably will.... by buying different software. Even upgrading from Luminar 3 to 4 doesn't solve this problem. What is the point continuing with the software if major issues are faced with indifference like "start over"? Who finds this acceptable?

Mohamed Zeglam

@Austin Miller My catalog is located under the Pictures directory, which is under my Home directory. I am using a Mac. 

Mohamed Zeglam

Thanks @Janne Sinkkonen for the information. Do you have an idea regarding: 

• Where they able to explain why this issue happens in the first place? since I have used the software since it was released without encountering this issue before. 
    • Were they certain that creating a new catalog from scratch is going to prevent it from happening again in the future for the new catalog? or we should be prepared to create a new catalog and start all over again every time this happens?  
    Zak Ryan

I'm also seeing this issue.
    Has there been any resolution to either the duplicates or the trash being filled?

Mohamed Zeglam

Zak Ryan

No. 

Ryan Sprake

I am within the trial period and I am having this issue on a Mac. Raw files are duplicated in the browser as black and can't be deleted from the trash. Duplicates show up as a blank space until I select it and the preview generates.

Kate Williams

Hi Ryan, 

Please reach our team at https://skylum.com/support and provide us with the screenshot of your catalog file structure as in the example: http://prntscr.com/wmg79g 
    Also, please specify which exact Luminar version you're trialing and where the originals reside (internal, external drive). If you're able to recall which steps preceded the issue, e.g. an OS update, restoring from a time machine backup, relocating the image files or the catalog from one drive to another, etc.), it would be great too.

Meanwhile, you can always create a new catalog via File > Catalog > New and re-add only the necessary folders. (The previous catalog can be reopened anytime via File  > Catalog > Open)

Ryan Sprake

I started again by removing my catalogue and adding a new one since I didn't have anything invested. It seems to have cleared up the issue for the time being. 

Mark Hoger

Ryan,

Be aware that creating a new catalog is the only solution offered by support. For us that have had more time invested, this is completely unhelpful. I'd suggest you consider this carefully during your trial period and before you too have too much time invested to have someone just casually suggest you just start over.

Mark

bubbles sandcastle

i also have this problem with raw files in luminar 4.3.3 (macos big sur). duplication happens on almost every start. as others have said, this problem is annoying at first but eventually makes luminar unusable. i love luminar so much, please fix this nightmare for us!

also, starting a new catalog is not an option, i have hundreds of edits. and honestly, it's not a reasonable suggestion for paid pro software.

skylum team, is there any update on this? are developers working on this problem? is there an approximate timeline for a fix? please let us know so that we can decide whether to wait for a fix or switch apps.

appreciate all your impeccable work on this app. it truly is next level amazing. it makes photo editing super easy and enjoyable. it would be devastating if a simple catalog consistency problem forced me elsewhere. please help!

Please sign in to leave a comment.