Virtual Copies

Answered

Comments

27 comments

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello Olaf Wieder,

Thank you very much for asking about virtual copies. We have not planned to implement them yet, however I will make sure to forward your feedback to relevant team. Our colleagues will track on how widely requested this feature is and hopefully this is something we can add in future updates. Appreciate your input!

Comment actions Permalink
    Olaf Wieder

Hello Helga Egilsdottir,

thank you for your reply.

8 Month ago, there is a comment from Skylum that virtual copies will be implemented in one of the future releases!?

Now you say, that Skylum has not planned something? Thats not OK, many Users are waiting for this feature! It might be better if you first implemented missing and announced features instead of constantly adding new gimmicks to the program. I don't think anyone has missed a launching rocket to launch into the sky.

Ken Haley

I too would very much welcome the introduction of virtual copies into Luminar. The ability to have side by side images with different looks applied to help decide which works best, or colour v black and white is pretty much essential for me.

Olaf Wieder

I think that's good, maybe even more people should get in touch here who sorely miss virtual copies!

Vote for virtual copies!

Olaf Wieder

Oh, I didn't know this had been an issue for so long. I have now taken pictures again at a wedding and in the absence of virtual copies I had to do the workflow with the involvement of DxO Photolab so that I can complete the order promptly. At the same time, I've now bought ON1, where none of this doesn't seem to be the big problem. Again, I don't need a space shuttle to take off, I (and not just me) can do without such gimmicks.

@ Wolfgang 

Danke für den Hinweis, es ist schon ziemlich ignorant, was da bei Skylum läuft! :-(

Margaret Bright

Hi guys,

I can understand your frustration, and I will forward all your feedback on this matter to our team.

At the same time, I would like to be honest with you and let you know that at this time, we are mainly focused on the AI features. The development of these features currently has a higher priority.

But it is your feedback that helps us see, which features are most needed by the artists. So I would like to thank you for always sharing your thoughts with us. I will forward your feedback to our team to see if we can raise the priority for implementation of virtual copies.

Olaf Wieder

That would be nice, but I now lack the belief that it will be something in this life. Please don't keep adding new functions that no one needs (space shuttle), but basics that work properly:

1. Increase speed and stability
    2. Expansion of the DAM
    3. Virtual copies

etc, etc

Ken Haley

I agree with Olaf's comment - Skylum please do not sacrifice long-term user loyalty at the expense of adding AI features to possibly attract new customers. I like the app very much and really do want to remain with you guys, but there will come a day when that will no longer be sufficient for me. Maybe I'm being naive, but surely the addition of a virtual copies function is not such a huge task for your developers?   

Olaf Wieder

"... but surely the addition of a virtual copies function is not such a huge task for your developers?"

I also think that the implementation of new AI functions is much more problematic and labor-intensive than the possibility of creating virtual copies.

Andreas Brodow

My hunch is the implementation of the DAM isn't flexible and stable enough to allow virtual copies, Luminar has performance issues as it is and to allow virtual copies without severe restrictions would probably be catastrophic for performance.

Margaret Bright

As promised, I am forwarding your feedback to our team right now. 

I would also like to let you know that right now, we're researching the market as well as the opinions of our artists regarding the DAM functionality.

We'd love to hear your thoughts too, so I invite you to fill in this questionnaire: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DP2B5WY 

Thanks to your contribution, we'll be able to kick off the development faster. Therefore, we're really looking forward to receiving your feedback. 

Olaf Wieder

Thank you! I took part in the survey and can only ask every user to do so. Here you will also be asked explicitly about the virtual copies. I ask Skylum to make the survey public with other Luminar users, so that as many users as possible have the opportunity to take part in this survey.

Erwin Kargl

Margaret Bright

"At the same time, I would like to be honest with you and let you know that at this time, we are mainly focused on the AI features. The development of these features currently has a higher priority."

I bought Luminar 2018 twice (me and my brother) cause Skylum anounced a replacement for Lightroom. I bought Luminar 3 three times, Aurora one time to support the project, Luminar 4 two times again ... and now you tell us, that DAM has no priority!

With THIS information you lost me!!!!

Erwin

Olaf Wieder: I took part in the survey too. But I think I am better with other software like Exposure.

Mike Armstrong

Virtual copies are really a must especially as part off your selling features for Luminar3 clearly stated this feature would be implemented in 2019. It's now August 2020. I really don't see the importance of things like space shuttle.

Kirk Osborn

I'm afraid that for now, we don't plan on implementing this functionality. We constantly conduct surveys among our customers to find out what artists really expect from our software, and the vast majority of answers include mentions of the overall simplicity. Currently, we are focused on creating innovative AI features that can be used to enhance artists' images in a couple of clicks.

Still, we have passed on your concern to the respective department. Thank you for trying to make Luminar better.

Wolfgang Jarcik

leider ist diese Software tatsächlich nur mehr für einzelne Bilder (und das nur bedingt) zu gebrauchen. Für eine sinnvolle Bildbearbeitung und Verwaltung von einer größeren Menge von Fotos ist Luminar derzeit für mich leider nicht zu gebrauchen. Ich brauche kein Programm um Giraffen odere andere verrückte Sachen mit einem Klick in den Himmel einzufügen. Die seit Jahren versprochenen Programmergänzungen wurden leider nie realisiert obwohl diese in unzähligen Beiträgen hier im Forum von vielen Anwendern immer wieder gewünscht werden. 

Olaf Wieder

Na, nun haben wir es wohl amtlich!? Skylum macht sein Ding, ... 

"Ich befürchte, dass wir vorerst nicht planen, diese Funktionalität zu implementieren. Wir führen ständig Umfragen unter unseren Kunden durch, um herauszufinden, was Künstler wirklich von unserer Software erwarten, und die überwiegende Mehrheit der Antworten enthält Erwähnungen der allgemeinen Einfachheit. Derzeit konzentrieren wir uns auf die Erstellung innovativer KI-Funktionen, mit denen die Bilder von Künstlern mit wenigen Klicks verbessert werden können.

Trotzdem haben wir Ihr Anliegen an die jeweilige Abteilung weitergeleitet. Vielen Dank, dass Sie versucht haben, Luminar besser zu machen."

Skylum ist angetreten mit der vollmundigen, prahlerischen Aussage, ein Lightroomkiller zu sein/zu werden. Was uns allerdings seit einiger Zeit vorgesetzt wird, ist "Klickibunti" in immer neuen Variationen. Es wird mehr Wert darauf gelegt, immer neue, mehr oder weniger sinnvolle, Features ins Programm zu implementieren, als erst mal das bestehende vernünftig lauffähig zu machen.

Ich denke dabei z. B. an den grottenlahmen Export bearbeiteter Bilder, das zeitweise sehr zögerliche Ansprechverhalten der Software allgemein, sowie die Abstürze unter Windows. Mac User sind hiervon nicht so stark betroffen, hier läuft die Software eigentlich ziemlich gut.

ABER!

Wir/Ich brauchen keine startenden Space Shuttles die man in den Himmel einfügen kann. Wenn das Programm für solche Spielereien herhalten soll und die Entwicklung dahingeht, dann soll man wenigstens ehrlich sein und das auch so kommunizieren, damit ernsthafte Anwender nicht unnütz Geld ausgeben für Software, über die sie sich dann nach 2 Jahren nur noch ärgern. Lightroomkiller! Das ich nicht lache.

Sorry, aber das musste mal raus. Der Hersteller verspricht immer wieder das Blaue vom Himmel herunter ud was kommt letztendlich dabei raus ... bunte Ballons und Space Shuttles, die man in den Himmel kopieren kann. Es ist einfach nur noch ...  :-(

Andreas Brodow

I am pretty sure the implementation of the DAM is the main reason they won't implement virtual copies

Wolfgang Jarcik

„implementation of the DAM“ an das glaubt mittlerweile kaum noch irgendwer.

Olaf Wieder

Ja, wahrscheinlich gibt's in der nächsten Version (dann wahrscheinlich Luminar 5 und kostenpflichtig!) noch zwei Seeadler und ein Päckchen Schwalben als Neuerung dazu. Damit können wir dann unsere Himmel "aufhübschen".

Ich finde es mittlerweile (bin seit Luminar 2018 dabei) schon frech, was da abgeht!

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hallo https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/profiles/362801887412-Olaf-Wieder ,

da bin ich voll deiner Meinung, also ich kaufe sicher keine Version von diesem Spielzeugprogramm mehr. Ich will nämlich Fotos bearbeiten und nicht verunstalten.

Olaf Wieder

*Daumen hoch*

Wolfgang Jarcik

Für Luminar 3 gibt es schon seit vielen Monaten kein Update, Probleme werden auch dort nicht behoben.

Olaf Wieder

Gestern Abend kam die Mail mit der Ankündigung auf Luminar AI (soll ab Weihnachten 2020 verteilt werden), natürlich mit der Möglichkeit der „Early Bird“-Vorbestellung zum Einführungspreis von 59,-€.

Leider sehe ich mittlerweile ganz klar, wo der Weg hinführt. Verbesserungen des Systems stehen augenscheinlich ganz hinten auf der Agenda, es geht nur darum, immer neue Features zu integrieren, auf Kundenwünsche, bestehendes auszubauen, zu verbessern, wird nicht reagiert.

Hier ist exemplarisch zu nennen

1. Fehlende Möglichkeit, virtuelle Kopien zu erstellen
    2. Ausbau des DAM zu einer nutzbaren Komponente
    3. Beschleunigung des gesamten Systems
    4. Optimieren der Software für Windows

Usw.

Der Anspruch, Adobe Lightroom zu „killen“, wird immer weiter in den Hintergrund geschoben, vielmehr ist man darauf aus, schnelles Geld zu machen, indem man immer neue Features, die zum Teil noch nicht einmal ausgereift sind, zu integrieren.

Man verstehe mich bitte nicht falsch, ich finde die Software, gerade im Bereich des MacOS nicht schlecht, da steckt viel mehr Potential drin. Einen gescheiten, flüssigen Workflow nur mit dieser einen Software bekomme ich damit nicht hin.

Vielleicht bin ich als Lightroomnutzer seit Anbeginn der Tage auch nicht der richtige Ansprechpartner dafür (habe mein ABO Anfang des Jahres gekündigt und nutze es konsequent nicht mehr!). Ich musste aber bei diversen „Aufträgen“ dieses Jahr feststellen, dass ich allein mit Luminar nicht zu den Ergebnissen, die ich und meine „Auftraggeber“ erwartet habe, kommen kann. Hier fehlt in der Qualität doch so einiges. So habe ich die Bilder in der Masse mit DxO Photolab endbearbeitet und nur in Einzelfällen Luminar 4 nutzen können. Dies nicht, weil die Bilder damit schlecht würden, sondern in der Masse auch, weil das Programm einfach schneckelangsam ist. Die Hoffnung, dass sich hieran etwas ändert, habe ich mittlerweile über Bord geschmissen.

Und ja, ich habe mir die neue Version vorbestellt! Warum? Weil ich einfach neugierig bin und die 59,-€ kleines Geld sind. Und für einzelne Fotos ist es für mich durchaus nutzbar. Bei großen Serien werde ich aber weiterhin Alternativsoftware nutzen müssen, leider.

Augenscheinlich wird sich in der neuen Version auch wieder einmal das Datenbankformat ändern, so dass Bearbeitungen, die mit den älteren Versionen gemacht wurden, wohl verloren gehen werden. Es sei denn, man geht her und speichert sich die alten „Kataloge“ ab und lässt die ganzen Vorgängerversionen installiert (ich bin seit Luminar 2018 dabei) und … merkt sich, welche Bilder man mit welcher Version bearbeitet hat.

Na ja … :-(

R R

Any updates on the Virtual Copies support? Can't believe this was promised back in Luminar 3 and has not been delivered yet.

If current perf limitations or implementation limits the feasibility of the feature, at least give us the ability to easily save "snapshots of edits" that can be applied and compared across the same picture. That should be a lot simpler and have little additional perf overhead!

Mike Armstrong
    • Good luck RR - Skylum doesn’t give a damn about any of the promises made. They simply want you to buy their AI product and forget Luminar 4. They have never even apologized for taking our money under false pretences - bait & switch - illegal in some locations.

Please sign in to leave a comment.