Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Stefan Schneider

@ Bruno F.W. Ristl, Bakk.phi

Thanks, I actually did this before I re-installed 4.2.

@ Helga

Also thanks. Did what you suggested and after reactivating my license actually the installation of 4.2 successfully went through. I'm currently (Luminar is..) building a new Image gallery. That's no big problem for me.

I'll wait for the catalog to be finished and will then restart the application. If something is going wrong I'll coming back.

Any advancements in finding the cause for all these issues with 4.3 update?

Comment actions Permalink
    Stefan Schneider

Helga,

first it looked good. Then I imported a few (well roughly 15K) images and then ist closed without warning.

I saw in the application event log:

Faulting application name: Luminar 4.exe, version: 4.2.0.5577, time stamp: 0x5dedc13b
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.207, time stamp: 0xcad89ab4
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000fdec9
    Faulting process id: 0x1bcc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d665c283d12e93
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4\Luminar 4.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 828a0304-9909-49d2-937d-0fc1b5fd2928
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'll try reinstalling 4.2 tomorrow and will try a few other things.

Peter CLAIRHOUT

Hi.

I have approx. the same issue.

Luminar 3 & 4.2 only open on the splash screen for a few seconds.

I can't even uninstall. Uninstall failed.

When I try installing new version 4.3 it's not even starting the installation process.

update: when starting windows 10 in safe mode I get following error in Luminar 4: "Hard Error".  In Luminar 3 I get "A break point has been reached". In safe mode I also can't uninstall.  Setting luminar in compatibility mode "Windows 8" is also  given no results.

I'm completely stuck

Matteo D'Errico

i solved doing this after installation:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like. Don't remove this folder.
    4. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    5. Type %appdata%\Luminar 4 in the dialog box that opens and press Enter on your keyboard.
    6. Next, remove all the contents in Luminar 4 folder. Please note that this will remove your user looks and workspaces, so back up the folder into the safe location before removing it if necessary. You can then put your looks and workspaces back later.
    7. Start Luminar. It will ask you to complete the initial setup.

then luminar ask me to insert account and key. Now it work

Don Goldman

I rarely add to these discussions.  The latest release of Luminar 4 works fine on my Win10/64 desktop, and following their procedure, got the plug-ins for Photoshop and Lightroom to work.  However, I could not get Luminar 4 to run on my new Win10/64 laptop.  Uninstalled/reinstalled.  Worked once and then hung on the splash screen every other time.  Skylum advertises phone support, but there is none.  Received several emails after going through their on-line help center that didn't help.  I requested a call-back.  Now it's nearing the end of the week and almost gave up.  Accidentally arrived at a solution.  Right-click on the Luminar 4 icon and click on Troubleshoot Compatibility.  It found Luminar 4 not to be compatible, but was able to fix it.  Now it runs every time, including from Photoshop  Perhaps I overlooked this in reading all the questions you get when you initiate a technical support inquiry, but I wasted a lot of time and had high frustration with the lack of any phone support.  Although I like Luminar 4, it is difficult to recommend a company that refuses to provide phone support.

Steve Daggar

Don Goldman tried this but didnt work for me. Tried autofix compatibility, also tried win8 & winVista compatability modes, splash screen still hangs

Stefan Schneider

I have managed to install Luminar ver. 4.3.0 (6175) and start it five times in a row and was able to import approx. 12K images without experiencing a crash or so. Although I wouldn't call it a solution for everyone.

It took me several hours and this is what I did:

First of all I ran CCleaner and scanned the registry, then I let it fix found issues.

Next I opened the registry ('regedit') and searched for all occurences with the strings ("luminar 4" and 'luminar4' in it) that were still left. I subsequently deleted all of those keys/parameters by hand.

There were a few that I could not get rid of, these were entries in the 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\....\Services\bam'-branch.

After having done this (I backuped the original registry and the one after CCleaner had finished) I ran the luminar 4.3 offline setup. I chose to build a new catalog in a different position than before. I had of course to re-activate the license.

After finishing the setup procedure, I closed Luninar. Then I restarted the and expected a hanging splash screen. I took some 20 secs for the splash screen to disappear but the application started through. I did the same once again: OK! it opened.

I then imported approx. 8.000 images, which worked as expected. I closed the application. I did the same another 3 times and imported two other chunks of images (3.5 an 1K). After that I briefly edited an image. It worked as expected.

The only nuisance is, that the application seems to behave very sluggish. Partly this is probably because I chose a normal HDD for the catalog to be placed instead of a SDD, where I had it before. At the moment I don't dare to move it.

As I said, that's certainly not a solution in it's original sense. It just works for now.

Geoff Stokes

Updated to version 4.3 seven days ago and system worked well for first few days both direct and as link through Photoshop.

Then started to get hang up on "Splash" screen like many other users.

Deleted complete program from laptop (New DELL I5 Inspiron), removed all Luminar directories, both hidden and visible, edited Windows Registry to remove all reference to Luminar, turned off antivirus and Firewall. Reinstalled version 4.3 from local file. System still hangs on "Splash" screen...........Once again completely removed all reference to version 4.3 from system.

Reinstalled version 4.2 from local file.......program now works again correctly, both as a stand alone and via Photoshop.

Will not be using 4.3 until receive confirmation that bugs have been sorted.

Bert van Barneveld

What a mess... Having the same problem here.

Just need to do some quick editing, not rebuilding my system!!

Can someone @Skylum get us a simple, quick and easy solution to this??

Till then I'll abandon Skylum

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello everyone,

Please, accept our apologies for the issues encountered with the new update. This problem turned out to be more complicated than we expected, thus we have not come up with a fix yet. Please, stay tuned.

If offered solutions did not help, we would suggest reverting to previous version of Luminar 4.

Please follow the steps below:

Uninstall Luminar.

How to uninstall an app on Windows 7 (click this text to open link).

How to uninstall an app on Windows 8 (click this text to open link).

How to uninstall an app on Windows 10 (click this text to open link).

Clear your registry:

• Visit https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download?pc
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the table and click Download from CCleaner.com in the first column.
    • Once the download has finished, launch the file and install CCleaner on your computer.
    • Launch CCleaner.
    • Click Registry on the left.
    • Click Scan for Issues in the lower left. Wait for the scan to finish.
    • After the scan has finished, click Fix Selected Issues in the lower right.
    • Close CCleaner.

Reboot your PC.

Download the previous version of Luminar from here: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_420.exe 

Once the installer has finished downloading, locate it in your Downloads folder (or wherever you chose to save it), right-click the file, and click Run As Administrator. A prompt might appear asking you whether you wish to confirm your action, click Yes and wait for the installer to load. Then, follow the instructions on the screen.

Please note that you'll need to start with a new catalog if you decide to switch back to 4.2.0. Therefore, I'd suggest creating a .zip out of your current Luminar 4 Catalog folder (by default, it's located in the Pictures folder unless you've specified otherwise). This will allow you to open your catalog later after you update back to the latest version.
    Charatpong Chotigavanich

Every time I restart the computer and launch luminar 4.3 for the first time after restart, it would work like normal.  But after closing the program and launch again (without restarting computer), it would hang on the splash screen.  Have to restart the computer again to get it to work. 

Edit: after adding the luminar .exe file in the firewall and windows defender's white list, it now works as normal.  I am running on windows 10 without Lr's plug-in.

Anthony Gouge

I'm having the same issue.  After installlation of 4.3, I could open it as a standalone.  However, it would freeze when I tried to invoke it from PS CC.  I've rolled back to 4.2 and will await a solution.

Anastasia Davis

Hi guys! We are sorry for all the inconvenience. We are working hard on this case. As soon as we have some updates we will let you know.

Martin Ische

I am still convinced that we are all test persons in an experiment (an American or Russian university), in which it is to be tested, how long users are willing to use a basically very good, but in important points useless software or even buy updates :-)

Of course, this is not one of the stupid conspiracy theories that are currently in circulation.

But I do wonder why Luminar does not get better with every update, but even worse (export function) or even a complete failure (can't be started anymore).
    I am a programmer myself and know about the difficulties of developing software. But here obviously important basics and test scenarios are not considered... Or the development runs so chaotically that nobody can see it anymore or is it due to a too high fluctuation of the programmers?
    No, it is a pure marketing product and a test balloon :-)

Michael Eicher

👍 there is nothing more to tell!

Mike Harris

I am having the same problem as all of you. As a pro photographer I am royally pissed off that an update has caused Luminar 4 to become totally useless.

I have uninstalled L4 and installed 4.2 and when I launch it I get the message "Database Opening Failed"  and the program will not open.  Does anyone have any ideas on h ow to fix this so I can get back to work or is it back to Lightroom and Photoshop?

Thanks

Mike

Marco Callegari

Well, Am I so lucky? After the initial hangs, I used Luminar for 2 days as Administrator and it worked. Then I removed that option and I'm working as usual without troubles.

No compatibility mode, no Run As Admin.

The only thing I did it was importing my old catalog as Admin and play a bit with the images inside.

Of course, at the upgrade time there's something wrong, but if you can manage it, you can use it as usual.

I did some postowk on my renders and no crashes (FHD size, not huge images) using a lot of sliders of Luminar. (I just discovered how AI missed again the sky in some scenes, and it seems it's a problem since the first introduction of the sky AI). But if I'm not considering the AI, it works nice.

As I told, maybe I'm lucky. Try to do what I did (using as Admin and importing the old catalog, play for one day or two as admin and then use it as a normal user), maybe it could help while we're waiting for an official patch.

Steve Daggar

Very lucky. I still cant get past the hanging splash, when running as admin or compatibility mode and after trying all suggestions listed here. 

Marco Callegari

Steve try to do this. Do a copy of you catalog/catalog folder. Delete the original catalog. Start Luminar as Admin. Create a new catalog and import the previous. Do some edit to the images. Close. Start luminar as user. Be careful to do a catalog copy/backup!

Anthony Gouge

Yeah, 4.2 takes forever to load for me too.

hans franz

My situation:

Newest version is working fine on my slow laptop!

On my PC, I can't even install Luminar. And this includes Luminar3!!. The setup exe is not opening, no matter what version compatibility, administrator or what have you.

Only the .msi works.

But then, Luminar.exe has stopped working.

Mike Harris

Like most I’d given up with Luminar 4 till Skylum have found a fix so I was using Photoshop and just happened to see the menu to interface with Luminar 4 and thought what the hell I’ll try it and wham it opened and worked as normal🤔. I was hoping it would stay open and I could leave it open all the time but it only exported back into Photoshop.

Helena Carter

hans franz,

This looks like a different issue. Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support and we'll do our best to assist you.

Matthias Meyerhof

Hallo,

ich habe alles aus diesen Beitrag versucht, aber ohne Erfolg. Ich bin jetzt wieder auf die Version 4.2.0 zurück, das läuft

Grüße aus Berlin

Andreas Epmeier

Sechs Seiten, 24 Tage - über die unbezahlbare Anzahl an Mannstunden die hier von allen gemeinsam mit Problemlösungen vergeudet wurden, rede ich schon gar nicht mehr. Ich finde es eher erschreckend, welcher Mantel des Schweigens von Anbieterseite hier langsam ausgebreitet wird. Keine nennenswerten Reaktionen, Lebenszeichen oder wenigstens eine Bitte um Geduld oder ein Zwischenstand, wären sehr hilfreich.
    Ich bekomme das Gefühl, das hier irgendwas faul ist. Übernahmegespräche? Drohende Insolvenz?
    Das Schweigen fördert nicht das Vertrauen und zerstreut auch keine Gerüchte oder Bedenken.

Und gelegentliche Antworten aus dem Satzbaukasten(oder nutzt hier jemand das alte ELIZA?), sind nicht hilfreich.

Eine Erklärung oder ein Statement der Entwickler ist mehr als überfällig.

Margaret Bright

Hi guys,

On behalf of the whole Skylum team, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the delay with providing a fix for this issue.

I am sorry that you had to experience this issue with our software and that it takes us this long to provide you all with a fix. I would like to assure you that our team is working round-the-clock to get this issue fixed as soon as possible. We will notify everyone once the fix is available.

I sincerely appreciate your patience and hope we will be able to deliver the fix soon.

William, I would like to separately address the Photoshop issue.

Due to some peculiarities with Photoshop plugin, it needs to be updated separately after you update Luminar. Our team is currently looking for a way to make the plugin update automatically along with the update of Luminar. We hope to implement this in the future.

In the meantime, to update your Luminar 4 plugin please perform the following:

1. Right-click the Luminar 4 icon > Run As Administrator.
    2. Click File > Install Plugins.
    3. Click Uninstall next to Photoshop.
    4. Reboot your PC.
    5. Right-click the Luminar 4 icon > Run As Administrator.
    6. Click File > Install Plugins.
    7. Click Install next to Photoshop.

In case there's a message You have to install this software first, click Browse and navigate to where the .exe file of your host application is. After you show Luminar where the host app is, you will be able to install the plugin for the host.

This should help you get the app working as a plugin.

Margaret Bright

Hi Matthias,

Could you please get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support? They will take a deeper look at your particular case and suggest the steps that you can try in order to get this issue resolved.

You can also ask them any questions regarding the steps suggested in this post, they will assist you.

Please also note that we have German-speaking agents, therefore feel free to reach out in German if you wish.

leo vonk

Hello,

The latest tip from Margaret Bright is working for me !

Thanks

Luiz Paulo

Great News... I will back to try it but, Barrie and Johann, would you guys please let us know the version number you are running just to be sure we will be running the same one.

Cheers

Speed

Please sign in to leave a comment.