Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Erwin Kargl

Kate Williams

Hi, I can´t confirm that the "L4 4.3 not loading error" depends on the antivirus (Avast):

• "More artists have reported in tickets today that on their end the issue was resolved by disabling the security software or allowing the app through it. A lot of Luminar copies were affected, in particular, by Avast.
      Thus, if you have the Avast antivirus/ firewall, try switching it to private mode additionally."

I have two machines, both with avast running, on one the Luminar 4 4.3 does not work (hangs on startup-screen), on the other Luminar 4 4.3 is working fine. Changing anything with avast does not help at all for me.

On the machine L 4 4.3 not regulary working this helps for me:

1. use compatbility mode Win 8
    2. and sometimes (!?!?) it also needs run as admin

Erwin

Comment actions Permalink
    Erwin Kargl

But what is really annoying is, that the thumbnails get lost/deleted, when scrolling throug the pictures AND it takes TIME to rebuild the preview thumbs.

This happens on both machines ... !!!

Sent an email to support about this on Sat, Jul 18 at 8:36 AM

Erwin

Helga Rowles

Hi Erwin,
    Could you please install Process Explorer on the PC where the splash screen issue appears? Run the app and try closing all processes related to Avast.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer 

Many artists have recently reported that this helped.

Helga Rowles

Hi Daniel, please let me assure you that we're looking for a way to fix this issue on our end. As soon as we have any news, we will update this post.

Don Evans Photography

I'm relaxed.  NOW.  But, that is after days of support sending me troubleshooting message after message... asking me to do this, do that... change this, check that.  I literally had to come here to the forum, out of curiosity, to find that the 4.2 link was available.  That should have been the first thing they said to everyone.  "Look, we screwed up royally.. Roll back and install 4.2 while we work on a fix."

So, while it's working now (on 4.2), I'm still fuming that I wasted days of useless troubleshooting while in the middle of trying to edit a large wedding gallery and I wasn't told it was a wide-spread issue. Admittedly, I was dumb enough to update in the middle of important workflow.

The fact that rolling back 4.2 works is testimony to the fact that their update was bad, and they should stop referring people to use band-aid individual fixes as "trouble-shooting".  They're attacking the wrong end of the problem.  Just admit the update is bad, tell everyone to roll-back, and fix the code.  My response would have been, "Okay, that sucks, but thanks.  Let me know once it's fixed and I'll download the update..."  I wouldn't be here writing on this forum right now.

Ironically, anytime you open the 4.2 link, it is prompting you to upgrade to 4.3.   LOL

Having said all of that, I am a big fan of the software, and I do hope it is resolved soon.

Steven Jackson

I'm not suggesting that we forgive them for this BS.- just that lowering the level of vitriol might be better.

Bruno F.W. Ristl, Bakk.phil.

I see it very relaxed as the version 4.2.0 still works for me. 
    I have seen lots of updates in the Microsoft world in the last 25 years which crashed servers, desktops, notebooks, ....

Such things can happen - sad but true and that is a fact.

Lumina guys have to learn how to handle better such issues - that is also true.

Miguel Fernandes

No one can deny: they are really adding drama.and creating dramatic... Photo collections.

Bryan Nagy

I just purchased this product yesterday and encountered the same problems as everyone else in here.  I attempted to do the "fixes" for roughly 9 straight hours.  I even attempted to install the 4.2 version and that crashes as well.  I give up.  I just want my damn money back.  Why sell a product that doesn't freaking work?  I have sent a resolution complaint to paypal hoping for a refund of my money.  You sold goods that are not functioning and that is fraudulent! 

Victoria Grace

Hey Brian,

I'm sorry you've encountered this issue as well. If you wish we could issue a refund for your purchase at your earliest convenience. Could you please contact us via support@skylum.com and we'll do that right away?

Nita Reed

Has there been anything said about a fix, yet?  Love the software...when it works.

I use Luminar 4 w/ Aurora HDR plug-in.  Either freezing or crashing.  To do 3 or 4 photos takes a very long time.  Very.

Don't want a refund...just a fix.

Brian Berry

Have also just purchased this product and am getting the same issue unfortunately.

Like others i cannot believe that one of the Skylum team are seriously suggesting disabling Anti-virus protection in an attempt to get it working....!  The support team blew their credibility with this one statement.

If 4.3.0 is a known issue why on earth are Skylum allowing anyone to download it?  Definitely agree with Bryan Nagy, Skylum are misleading new and existing customers and so i am requesting a refund as well.  Future MBA courses should use this shambles of how not to roll-out a product!

Nita Reed

Ok...don't know if this will help anyone else or not, but spoke to a friend and he recommended this,,,and it worked!  I processed images with Luminar 4 & Aurora HDR dor 4 hours... NO ISSUES

1. Clean up start up (go to start up and deselect any non-essential start up items)

2.  Restart

3.  ONLY open Luminar 4 ( you can use the aurora as plugin w/ no issue). Process whatever you need to.  

4.  Close Luminar 4 (make sure aurora is closed, as well)

5.  I use Inkscape and I was able to open and use...NO ISSUES

Even though I technically have sufficient specs.  He said some beasts don't like competing.  At first, I balked...then my workload convinced me to at least try.  I used my mobile phone for EVERYTHING ELSE.

As I said, don't know if it will help anyone else or not, but it definitely did me.  My stress level is waaay down.

If it works...perhaps it  will keep you sane til they come up with a fix.

Nuno Santos

Does not work for me after doing all the steps. Had to roll back to 4.2. Any update soon?

Steven Roels

Ik had hetzelfde probleem maar, in een ander windowsaccount op mijn WIndows 10 computer lukte het me zonder problemen om Luminar 4.3 te gebruiken. Dat is een windowsaccount (administrator)  op mijn computer waarin ik Luminar nog nooit gebruikt heb.

Vervolgens heb ik in mijn windowsaccount alles verwijderd van Luminar, door het programma te verwijderen, de Luminar catalogus te verwijderen en verder op de c: schijf te laten zoeken naar Luminar en dan alle resultaten te verwijderen 

Ik heb ook mijn account in Windows 10 tijdelijk aangepast van standaardgebruiker naar administrator; zodat  bij de installatie de nodige wijzigingen konden worden doorgevoerd worden, maar achteraf gezien betwijfel ik of dat nodig was. 

Hierna Luminar opnieuw geïnstalleerd, moest opnieuw registreren en het duurde een minuutje of 2 maar nu werkt Luminar 4.3 al enkele dagen zonder problemen. 

WIl je de Luminar catalogus behouden (staat waarschijnlijk in de map afbeeldingen in je windowsaccountmap, kopieer deze dan naar een andere schijf of zo, zodat je hem naderhand kan importeren.

Veel succes! Ik kan niet verzekeren of het bij anderen werkt, bij mij in elk geval wel. 

Steve Daggar

Nita Reed doesnt help those of us that only use Luminar as a plugin. Meanwhile all suggested fixes have failed to get my 4.3 working so I am still on 4.2. I had a bit of correspondence with support back and forth last weekend and beginning this week, but nothing since

Michel Callewaert

Hi,

After update to version 4.3 Luminar stuck in splash screen. Followed the provided steps. Tried offline installer after uninstall of Luminar. No success. Downloaded 4.2 offline installer but that also is not installing. 

Norton 360 is inactivated. .NET and C++ are installed. Now I do not have a working Luminar anymore.

Please provide help. First time I have issues since I use Luminar  (since it was introduced).

Kind regards

Michel

Don Evans Photography

Michel Callewaert  Go to the top of this forum page, and read Skylum's message.  Do NOT pay any attention to their random suggestions of resolution, because they're just guessing.  Look at the last sentence of their post and you will see the link to download Skylum 4.2.  Assuming it was working fine in 4.2 for you, once you uninstall 4.3 and install 4.2, you should be back to normal.  Then, monitor this forum until you see that there's finally a real bug fix for 4.3

Michel Callewaert

Downloaded the 4.2 offline installer but that also is not installing. Norton 360 is inactive. 

I had some Windows 10 update today which were installed, is that the cause ???

Don Evans Photography

Michel Callewaert  I'm not an IT troubleshooter, but I think you need to define what "is not installing" means.  Is it actually not installing, or you install it and it still hangs at splash screen.  Perhaps with that information, someone could offer advice.  All I know is that I tried the 57 different "suggestions" from Skylum and nothing helped make it work.  I then uninstalled 4.3, then installed 4.2 and it immediately worked again.

Michel Callewaert

Don Evans Photography : I do a right click, run as administrator but nothing happens. If I look into task manager nothing from Luminar is running.

Steve Daggar

any news from Skylum on progress on developing a patch/update to fix this issue that despite numerous suggested workarounds continues to plague many?

Erol Kulac

Just wanted to say that I have the same problem and are waiting for a solution.

I reinstalled 4.2 for the time until that solution finally comes...

Jared Ikeda

I can't get it to load either. It works on my desktop but not on my laptop.  On my laptop it just hangs at the splash screen.  I tried all the recommended instructions to no avail.  How can I get tech support to respond?

Robin Horne

I have followed these instructions and have completely failed to get past the splash screen in any mode.

Skylum have not covered themselves in glory on this issue.

I have wasted hours of my time. Not happy.

Stefan Schneider

Hi, I've also tried (most of the) suggestions provided. None worked beyond a one-time application launch. The very next starting attempt ended up in a permanent splash screen. After one week of  messing around I'll give it up for now and wait for a more sustainable solution. Meanwhile I'm even unable to reinstall version 4.2. Ok, my own fault I should have let it untouched.

I've read several posts here and I learned that both MacOS and Windows users seem to have this problem. If that's true, I'd  doubt, that a specific component in the operating environment is the only culprit like an antivirus scanner. Beyond that, both operating systems are based on different platforms (some kind of Linux or Unix and on the other hand the Microsoft code base). Anyway ...

I saw that serveral people meanwhile have sent you a lot of information about their systems and environment. I hope that's actually helpful. I would be interested in the results that you have found so far. Maybe you could share a few findings with us, and perhaps some information on how your approach is towards the solution finding process. I think this would give us a better feel for how long we still might have to wait until you could provide a stable update. 

I'm fortunately not too dependent on Luminar at the moment, I can switch to a different image processor. But nonetheless, I'd appreciate if it doesn't take too long before we can get our hands on a stable release.  

Good luck!

Stefan Schneider

There seems to be a conflict between the luminar program (C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4\Luminar 4.exe) and MS's own ntdll.dll (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll). At least that's my interpretation of some entries in the application event log.

Stefan Schneider

forgotten to mention that I tried to insall vers. 4.2 the same way as I did with vers. 4.3 yesterday (incl. Windows 8 compatibiliy mode). Got an error while showing the splash screen (Database opening failed).

Bruno F.W. Ristl, Bakk.phil.

You have to unistall and delete all folders and files from version 4.3.0!
    Reboot and install version 4.2.0

Helga Rowles

Hi Stefan,
    If you're receiving the Database opening failed error, the steps below should help:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like. Don't remove this folder.
    4. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    5. Type %appdata%\Luminar 4 in the dialog box that opens and press Enter on your keyboard.
    6. Next, remove all the contents in Luminar 4 folder. Please note that this will remove your user looks and workspaces, so back up the folder into the safe location before removing it if necessary. You can then put your looks and workspaces back later.
    7. Start Luminar. It will ask you to complete the initial setup. 

Geoffroy VEGER, could you please contact our support team at skylum.com/support regarding the crash? It doesn't sound like the issue discussed in this thread.
    We'd really appreciate it if you could provide our team with event logs.

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your support request at skylum.com/support.

Please sign in to leave a comment.