Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Johann-Peter Petz

Hi!

Luminar: 4.3.0 (6175)

Viel Erfolg!

PS: Bei mir läuft es sogar mit Avast + Malwarebytes (Premium)

Comment actions Permalink

Hi Luiz,

Running Windows 10 version -  Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.450]

Luminar 4.3 Version 4.30(6175)

Hope that helps.

Barrie

Christian Perret

Hi there,

AFAIC I fixed this inconvenience by forcing Luminar not to use the IGP

HTH

Helo Christian Perret,

A allech chi gyfieithu hynny i mi. Diolch

Erwin Kargl

Ok, tried out without compatibilty mode, Luminar is starting, that´s ok, but thumbnails still disapear, like this it is not usable for me. Have to look for an alternative, cause I need to get my work done.

Erwin

Johann-Peter Petz

Hallo Erwin,

habe den gleichen Effekt auch gehabt.

Habe dann die einzelnen Ordner in der Rasteransicht 1x langsam durch gescrollt.

Datenbank und Vorschau-Darlehen gehört auf ein sehr schnelles Laufwerk.

Da wurde wohl beim Update auf 4.3 die Datenbank nicht ganz konvertiert..

Bei mir hat es geholfen. Geht jetzt zwar immer noch zäh aber deutlich schneller.

Gruß
    HP

Erwin Kargl

Hallo Johann-Peter,

danke für den Tipp ... hab ich schon probiert, hat nicht geholfen. Auch das Löschen des Preview Caches hat nichts gebracht ... es scheint so, als ob 4.3 die selbst erstellten Thumbnails nicht mehr verwenden kann.

Zum Probieren hab ich jetzt auch mal eine neue DB erstellt ... da kommen jetzt gar keine Thumbnails ...

Angeblich arbeiten die gerade an einer Lösung.

Danke

Erwin

Miguel Fernandes

Bom, aberto o precedente da valorosa germanofonia, convoco a turma lusófona a discutir mais à vontade: tem alguém aí conseguindo dar jeito nisso?

Cordiais saudações cariocas (e rubro-negras, naturalmente...)

Nuno Santos

Saudações lusas (açoreanas).

Sem soluções além de reverter para o 4.2. Nessa versão sem problemas.

Entretanto espero por uma nova versão mais "funcional".

Abraço

Bruno F.W. Ristl, Bakk.phil.

@Johann-Peter Petz

Läuft bei mir nicht - bzw. 1x dann nicht mehr

Prabhjeet Singh

NOT WORKING FOR ME. HAD TO BUY PORTRAIT PRO 19, WHICH IS A BETTER TOOL FOR EDITING PORTRAITS.

William Brooks

It's been a month so far without a solution from Skylum.  Can we have an update on the current status of your efforts to fix this problem?

I too have been having issues. I found in Windows, going to add/remove programs, click uninstall where an option to repair Luminar 4 comes up, choose repair and once repaired it worked fine.........until you close the program, then you have to do it all again.

Just followed the suggestion at the top to turn off Windows Firewall and this has allowed me to open Luminar 4. Will keep fingers crossed and see if it still opens tomorrow!

Henrik Hansen

After the update I could start the program once, next time it stopped at the splash screen. Tried to delete the catalog folder, and the program could start, but only one time. Then I changed the Compatibility Mode to Windows 8, and Run as administrator, and it works now every time.

ai Ma
    I found a way to resolve luminar 4.3 start-up hang way, first uninstall the previously installed Luminar 4, clean the registry thoroughly using WiseRegistryCleaner software, restart the computer after cleaning, then install Luminar 4.3, restart the computer after installation is complete, and work properly. It appears to be a registry problem.

我发现了解决Luminar 4.3启动时挂起途径,首先卸载先前安装的Luminar 4,使用WiseRegistryCleaner软件彻底清理注册表,清理后重新启动电脑,然后安装Luminar 4.3,安装完成后重新启动电脑,正常运行。看来是注册表问题。

ai Ma

Maybe the problem is caused by the Windows registry

Useing Wise Registry Cleaner 

to Fix Registry Problems and Boost Your PC Performance

Everything will be OK。

Mike Nogawd

^ No, not everything will be fine.

Some of us have tried similar steps, but I figured to try yours exactly, even running the Wise "deep clean" option and restarting, but still hangs.

This whole thing has been a joke.

Bastian Neuerburg

Das ist alles ein schlechter Witz von Skylum, wie kann man innerhalb 1 Monats dies Problem nicht beheben? Dann gebt uns die Möglichkeit, die ältere Version vor dem Update zu nutzen !

Michael Eicher

Ich wünsche mir die ältere Version ohne den Splash Screen, der den Murks mit der neuen Version bewirbt- das müsste doch wenigstens als Update für die ältere Version zu realisieren sein.

William Brooks

I believe that Skylum has come to the conclusion that it's not worth the development time (based on number of users affected) to fix this problem.  What a shame - I love this software.

Gordon Hendry

Regrettably, William, I think you must be right.  More than a month in, and still no further forward!  I actually tried again today, as I had updated Windows 10 to version .450 as mentioned by Barrie but, guess what, it still hangs!

How many disgruntled customers will they lose?  Do they care?

Don Evans Photography

William Brooks I had the exact same feeling this morning.  I'm getting along with the rollback to 4.2 for now.  Lightroom plugin works fine, PS plugin will work once after starting PS then, if you want to use it for a second time it just hangs and you have to shutdown PS via Task Manager.... But it's workable... I guess this is life for the foreseeable future.

I just can't believe they continue to sell it.  That's probably more unethical than vaporware... selling something that doesn't even work.

I won't echo the criticisms being voiced - suffice to say I agree with them all.

It would be nice (but a dream) if the Luminar CEO came on this forum and explained what was happening!

The good news is that eleven days ago (apparently I thought that it was longer) I reported that I had reverted to 4.2

When Barrie (6 days ago), reported that, following that day's Windows 10 update, Luminar 4.3 was working for him, I decided to update. I cleaned out caches etc using CCleaner, updated to Windows 10 1909 and clicked the button in the pop-up window inviting update and waited. Things happened and I had a fully working Luminar 4.3 installation!

The details - Windows 10 Pro. Version 1909 OS build 18363.1016.
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600X with 8GB RAM

I then updated Windows 10 on my laptop and installed a copy of Luminar 4.3 (which had never had Luminar installed on it). That works as well.

The details - Windows 10 Home Version 1909 OS build 18363.1016
    Lenovo Ideapad 320 Intel i3-7100U

So I appear to have two problem free installations.

The slight worry that I have is that there is a pending update on the desktop (Version 2004). Hopefully this won't upset things.

If so I'll report back.

Andrew

UPDATE - Have installed W10 2004 OS build 19041.450 and all still works on the desktop

UPDATE 2 - To use Luminar 4.3 as a plugin for Affinity Photo see this post
    https://community.topazlabs.com/t/affinity-photo-and-luminar-4-3/15684 - it works for me.

Sorry I should have added that whilst 4.2 worked as a plugin within Affinity Photo, 4.3 does not.

But, to be fair, neither Luminar nor Affinity claimed that it did.
    I cannot comment on how well 4.3 interfaces with Adobe products.

Andrew

Stefan Schneider

After all this registry cleaning, Luminar 4.3 is still working for me for the past 3 weeks.

Windows edition Windows 10 Pro, vers. 2004, Build 19041.450.

So, I'm also one of the lucky ones it seems.

Miguel Fernandes

I have a simple question.

The complete Adobe CC suite runs smoothly here.
    Clip Studio Paint EX runs smoothly here.
    Reallusion Pipeline System (CC, iC, iC3DX, CT, CTA4) runs smoothly here.
    Poser Software runs smoothly here.
    Daz3D runs smoothly here.
    ON1 PhotoRaw 2020 runs smoothly here.
    Corel Graphics Suite (Yes, I'm old enough) runs smoothly here.
    High-Logic MainType runs smoothly here.
    A good collection of plugins from Akvis, Alpha, JixiPix, Topaz Labs, Anthropics, Redfield, Richard Rosenman etc etc etc. runs smoothly here.
    Sketchup 2018 runs smoothly here. Art Rage, Inkscape and Gimp run smoothly here.
    All other Skylum software runs smoothly here.

WHY THE HELL the problem with Luminar 4.3 would be mine? Someone can answer me?

Miguel Fernandes

Oh, it's a problem with cleaning the Windows registry. Okay, why can't Skylum itself schedule a general cleaning of the registry in the Luminar 4.3 installer itself? Yes, it is a problem to rename and delete folders, backing up the catalog. Very well. Tell me why can't Skylum itself provide these maneuvers in its installer? Why does the task of laying the red carpet for the installation of Luminar 4.3 fall on my paying user shoulders? Why does no other software require so much care from me, so much caress, so much love, so much attention, like a newborn baby?

Stefan Schneider

I'm not sure that this is only an issue with registry cleaning. Maybe there are other circumstances that trigger this strange behaviour with hanging splash screen or even not being able to lauch the application at all. People have experienced different issues. But I also believe that Skylum could do a lot better in rolling back an installation process that doesn't end successfully. And one must come to the conclusion that they actually don't have a clue why all this mess came up. This is strange.

What I really don't understand is, if Skylum believes that there is somebody among their user base who, as a professional phototgrapher is dependent on this application and still is having this issues, why don't they inform them about their advancements in searching for the root cause of this problem(s). And even if they haven't found the root cause yet, it's helpful to know what they've looked into so far.

In the end, people need to have an idea when they can expect a fix or a workaround that reliably works for them. 

Even when Luminar is working for me for the last 3 weeks, I must say I'm not confident that it still will work the next day. To get back confidence one must konw why things went south, I think.

I see and appreciate that they are trying to help. But I wouldn't consider these suggestions as being a solution, just as a quick temporary  help.

This became longer than intended, sorry.

Daniel Santana

I am feeling quite insulted, this is a total attack to the human intelligence...

I have got this issue now for quite long, I have follow all the instructions out there (Official and unofficial) and there is the same issue. Yes!! the instructions works but, the very next day you open an image in PS, you decide to work the skies in Luminar, launch Luminar and there it is again stuck. So, here we go again... Follow all the instructions, waste 20min of precious editing time to solve the problem, edit happy with the amazing results but, if tomorrow you want to use again the software, you have to count with the 20 extra minutes to do all this crap again...

So, I have got to the conclusion that you guys got a serious trouble and you are not able to solve it, then you are selling us here instructions to solve a problem that it is YOURS not ours!! = Insult to the human intelligence since I have pay for a software that I have to FIX MYSELF each time I want to use it.

Helga Rowles

Hi Daniel,
    I'm sorry that our instructions didn't help to fix the issue for good.
    As soon as we have a definite solution, we will be sure to update this post. 

In the meantime, you can revert to the previous version that can be downloaded from the link below:
    https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_420.exe

Please sign in to leave a comment.