Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Heather Bartley

Not sure if Miguel Fernandes is commenting on my post (I'd like to thank Margaret Bright and Skylum for the offer above.) and don't know what Clip Studio Paint has to do with Skylum but just in case it is directed to me, then I am talking about a company (Skylum) who gave me back my money some 11 whopping months after my purchase of Luminar 4.

Could Skylum have been more fair than that????

Comment actions Permalink
    Miguel Fernandes

Hi, Kym. My comment is about my posts, your post and most of the posts here. When Skylum gives us the supreme grace to do it's duty - refund a purchase that is known to be useless - we become happy. Don't you think there is something passive in our conduct? Something bovine? If Skylum didn't make it up to you, would we take any more firm action? No. We would not have done more than we did so far: whining, lamenting, collecting assumptions and dubious improvisational solutions. Yes, you are grateful that you managed to solve part of the problem - the refund. But you lost, as we all here lost. We lost confidence, we lost time, we lost sleepless nights trying to solve, we lost Luminar 4.3. Which I suspect is a mere test balloon for a technology that would be used in Luminar AI. I'm glad for your victory, even if partial. But while you receive your refund, dozens of consumers may, at the moment, be thinking about purchasing Luminar 4.3. This is not your fault. But it wasn't Skylum that we all wanted it to be. A company that, the very next day, alerted all its users about a minor failure, which may go unnoticed by 95% of users. We wanted a Skylum that thought more about that 5%, that didn't need two months of pressure to at least make a refund. We also, I guess, would like to be a different kind of user, ourselves. Users able to organize, write to blogs, post on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. Complaining, protesting, doing something other than locking ourselves in that cage and showing each other that we know how to fix something that we shouldn't try to fix. That’s all. Forgive me for making you feel uncomfortable. I'm really sorry, it wasn't intentional.

Bob Noodle

To put it in technical terms, this is a total downer. I like the software, and I want to use it. I am sick of having to dick with it so much to even try to use it. 

Manfred Hoss

@Kym Harper

I asked for a refund, but they rejected. They offer something from marketplace, i take this, some look plugin...i am not happy with this. So in future i never buy something from skylum. I have tested luminar on mac and win. On mac very slow on win splashscreen bug.

Jose F.G.

La versión de prueba, de momento funciona, pero sigo con el problema de que las fotos tardan mucho en cargarse o se quedan en negro cada vez que avanzo por las imágenes estas desaparecen y se vuelven a cargar de nuevo. Es autentico problema, pues cuando tengo que vorver a una foto anterior tengo que esperar a que se cargue.

Gordon Hendry

It appears to be working for me too.

However, I would like some clarification. 

This is a "build" of Luminar 4.3 which is sitting on my PC in the folder that I unzipped the file into, not an "installation" into Program Files which has updated / overwritten Luminar 4.2. Presumably I should uninstall Luminar 4.2 as they won't run in parallel. 

Is it Skylum's intention to produce a new installable version based on this "build" version which would then install into Program Files?

Or, are we all expected to purchase Luminar AI?

Glenn Nosworthy

I had got the 'old' Luminar 4.3 to work by setting Bridge, PS, and Luminar all to 'run as administrator'. Last night I extracted the test build to a folder on my desktop and copied across (overwrite) the files to the existing Luminar folder. I then started the Luminar test build .exe once as administrator with no problems. I have now removed 'run as administrator' from everything and the test build works as both a standalone app and as a plug-in to PS. Hope it stays that way... 

That said, I'm not a techie, but I am very curious as to what caused the problem in the first place and so why it affected people in different ways and why it was so hard to pin down... 

mark thomas

Darryl Brooks You can create a shortcut on your desktop and set it to run as administrator so you don't have to right click each time to launch.As for plugins, run it in standalone mode first and choose the install plugins option from the file menu.If plugins are already showing as installed, uninstall them first and then choose Install to re-install them with the plugins from this Version. Hopefully Skylum will provide a link to a proper installer once they bring it out of Beta.

Mohamed Belhaj

It's amazing how a problem identified 3 months ago is still here. I still can't run Luminar and I don't understand why we need to use all these workarounds instead of them fixing the real issue!

At the same time, they keep sending me marketing material to buy the new Luminar without even trying it.

You can make the best product but if you don't listen to your customers, you won't survive!!

Jared Ikeda

The new build works on my laptop now but it took 15 minutes to load from the splash screen and then it ran but, when I tried to exit with a new catalog (of 2 images), it took another 15 minutes to create the catalog and exit.  Way too slow to operate effectively.

Bruno F.W. Ristl, Bakk.phil.

Jetzt habe ich mich auch getraut. 😉

Ich habe das zip file runter geladen, entpackt, auf Laufwerk C: geschoben, eine Verknüpfung erstellt und angeklickt. Daraufhin wurde ein neuer Katalog erstellt und die Verknüpfung zu PS und LR eingetragen. Siehe da, Luminar Version 4.3 funktioniert als Standalone oder Plugin von PS und LR aus. Fast habe ich das Gefühl es ist etwas schneller geworden. 

Manfred Hoss

It's just bad software :(

Gary Hutchings

Barry Buehler You are a troll 100%, you admitted it above. No matter what you say.     "Pretender"?  Let's see your resume boy.   Being slow, you missed the fact that people are still having issues. Some have had to do a complete nuke and pave of Windows to alleviate the problem. It is more than just one tech issue. Their Database corrupts easily. Their software can't seem to talk to external drives with consistency, and when the drive sleeps, the software locks when trying to export.  Support sucks. I would know a thing or two about that one..  No one asked you for anything. I don't care what your child like judgment is on me speaking the truth and saving others the pain. One of two things will happen. 1. Enough people will hold Skylum accountable for multiple issues with existing software.  2. They just keep taking money, not fixing long standing issues and should be considered a criminal organization. You have no idea what you are talking about, I bet you rant at people here because no one wants to be around you in real life..  

Philippe Carlier

one more time ... 

after a few weeks, luminar start working.

try to repair, uninstall, install , uninstall !!

Mike Schwitalla

I don't like to believe it, but the problem still exists in April 2021 with version 4.3.3 (7895) on Windows 10.

@JT
    Just reboot the PC and see if it still works ...

Alexander Tuma

nice, but not work...many times restart the pc

Alexander Tuma
    It worked for me .... download the program 402 version.
    Then uninstall the Luminar from the Control Panel programs and
    features and also the two Microsoft Visual C *
    (ideally list the programs according to the installation date).
    I then deleted the Luminar Catalog in the images folder and
    then reinstalled the downloaded program ...
    that worked and then I didn't click the update
    Charles Green

Thanks JT.  I rebooted my system to make sure Luminar 4.3 was fully uninstalled, reran the installer download from the link and I now have a fully functioning Luminar 4.2 back up and running 

Helga Rowles

Hi Member -  I've checked your license, and our system shows that you still have one activation left. If something goes wrong - we will be able to reset your license counter back to zero. You can also do it in your Skylum account under My software > Manage my license > Reset all licenses.

David Quillman

You put this in your instructions... but you never told us how to get our activation key back. Luminar 4.3 is asking for my key. I found my old in an email and it doesn't work. PLEASE HELP. Thank you

"Find the folder “Luminar 4” and rename it to "Luminar 4 old". Please note that this folder contains your license for Luminar 4, as well as your Custom and downloaded Looks. You will be later to access them later if necessary.

Quick suggestion for Marc.

If you have Avast - uninstall it (I found it conflicted with Luminar on m system - now running Bitdefender trial version which doesn't).

Uninstall Luminar 4. Delete the Catalouge file (normally in your Pictures Folder). Download the Luminar 4.3 offline installer (mentioned in a previous post - 4.3 not 4 .2). Install Luminar 4.3 as Administrator. Once installed always run Luminar 4.3 as Administrator.

Worked for me when I had same problem.

Good luck !

Marcel Overkleeft

I finally got it working again. It seems the update cannot migrate the catalog. So what I did was copying the complete catalog to an external disk (you might use a usb stick). and then deleted the complete thing from my HDD. Then followed the steps, as stated in previous posts (deleting and cleaning register etc.) Then I installed the 4.3. It created a new catalog. After that, it runs smoothly. 

Then I closed the application and copied the previous catalog back into the new created catalog but .... VERY IMPORTANT, DO NOT COPY the old luminar4catalog file!!!  

Your system asks you if you want to overwrite some files, say "yes" but again, do not copy the old luminar4catalog file back.

After that, I started luminar 4.3 and it works! With the old catalog!!

William Brooks

Luminar 4.3 - what a disaster!!!  I've spent ~ 5-6 hours trying to make it work and following step by step all the suggested fixes on the Luminar community page - none worked. Finally I reverted back to version 4.2 which appears to be stable.  I've owned every version of Luminar (including Flex) since it became available for Windows, and recommended it many, many times.

I think Skylum needs to fix this quickly.

Eric Adauto

I think it has to do with the filters and how database was migrated, if I open images that were already edited in older version (coming from 3 to 4.2 to 4.3) it crashes. Why don't you set a link to downgrade back to 4.2??? It is not possible to be stuck without having the chance to keep working with it.

Kate Williams

@David, there was a typo in your activation email. It was fixed, and we've emailed you your credentials. 

@Eric, here's the link to revert back to 4.2.0: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_420.exe 

You may need to create a backup copy of your current catalog first and follow the instructions outlined here after 4.2.0 is installed. 

As far as the crashes are concerned, does it happen only with the previously edited images or with the new uploads too? 

Please please send us event logs as well as the additional info we've requested via email:

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your reply to your support request. 

Here is the video tutorial on how to collect logshttps://www.loom.com/share/d7d8325cb83b4539a0a2dae3ebf286f6 

4.3.0 still not working 
    4.2.0 working ok

Daniel Hines
    I have tried most of them, but it still hangs. Sometimes when i have reinstalled it, it doesn't show up in All Programmes as though it failed to install.

However some good news: I noticed you posted a link on your support pages to take me back to the previous version which I have now done. So the programme is up and running which is wonderful for me. I keep getting a pop up telling me an update is available, which for the present I am ignoring and staying with version 2. I will keep an eye out for when the hanging problem is sorted and then try again to update.
    Marco Callegari

Me too on Win10 latest update got the hang on the splash screen of latest Luminar.

It was something like the hang we had in a previous update.

Renamed my catalog let me start the app, but then it crashed again at the second start.

As someone stated, launching it as Administrator let the app running.

Unfortunately I opened my original catalog, it was updated, but no more custom settings on my previous works... I've lost everything... I can survive, as I'm not using Luminar for work, but it's the second time I've to start from scratch with the library...

On Mac it seems working, but I've no images in my catalog there... Actually I'm doing everything on windows (as I do my 3d renders there...).

I hope for a fix, and I hope my catalog could be resume my custom settings....

Marco Callegari

mmm wait... I found on the right Library panel something related to my old library. I can see the setting there. It's a bit slow but at least I've everything (for now).

Always as Administrator

Please sign in to leave a comment.