Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Steve Daggar

some perspective amongst all the angst in this thread. Luminar 4.2 is a great product, except for being oh so slow to launch.  If Skylum had not come up with an update, Luminar 4.2 users would have been happy to continue using 4,.2. Skylum didnt have to come up with an update. That the update is not working for some of us is regrettable, but not the end of the world

Comment actions Permalink
    Martin Ische

@Steve Dagger:

Nobody has actually written about the "end of the world" here, the caricature also goes in a different direction.
    And for which target group is Luminar a great product?
    I would not use "great" in this context.
    The program has some excellent implemented features and is therefore very well suited for editing single photos or for special effects on single photos, but sometimes only if you have patience.
    But for a "great product", in my opinion, a lot of features are still missing and of course a corresponding performance, which even 4.2 does not have.
    Especially if you have to view and edit many photos, the program is useless.

Michael Eicher

👍 there is nothing more to tell!

Mike Harris

I am having the same problem as all of you. As a pro photographer I am royally pissed off that an update has caused Luminar 4 to become totally useless.

I have uninstalled L4 and installed 4.2 and when I launch it I get the message "Database Opening Failed"  and the program will not open.  Does anyone have any ideas on h ow to fix this so I can get back to work or is it back to Lightroom and Photoshop?

Thanks

Mike

Marco Callegari

Well, Am I so lucky? After the initial hangs, I used Luminar for 2 days as Administrator and it worked. Then I removed that option and I'm working as usual without troubles.

No compatibility mode, no Run As Admin.

The only thing I did it was importing my old catalog as Admin and play a bit with the images inside.

Of course, at the upgrade time there's something wrong, but if you can manage it, you can use it as usual.

I did some postowk on my renders and no crashes (FHD size, not huge images) using a lot of sliders of Luminar. (I just discovered how AI missed again the sky in some scenes, and it seems it's a problem since the first introduction of the sky AI). But if I'm not considering the AI, it works nice.

As I told, maybe I'm lucky. Try to do what I did (using as Admin and importing the old catalog, play for one day or two as admin and then use it as a normal user), maybe it could help while we're waiting for an official patch.

Steve Daggar

Very lucky. I still cant get past the hanging splash, when running as admin or compatibility mode and after trying all suggestions listed here. 

Marco Callegari

Steve try to do this. Do a copy of you catalog/catalog folder. Delete the original catalog. Start Luminar as Admin. Create a new catalog and import the previous. Do some edit to the images. Close. Start luminar as user. Be careful to do a catalog copy/backup!

Steve Daggar

As I said, have tried all suggested fixes including cleaning registry and deleting appdata, renaming catalog, installing as admin, setting Luminar 4.3 to open as admin and in compatibility mode & tried with Kaspersky paused and it still always hangs on the splash screen....so I never get a chance to create a new catalog because it wont start. Happily using 4.2 for now and waiting patiently for Skylum to come out with a fix rather than a suggested workaround

Steve Daggar

I should also add that 4.2 takes me 2 mins to launch. Dont recall 4.1 being anywhere near as slow

Anthony Gouge

Yeah, 4.2 takes forever to load for me too.

hans franz

My situation:

Newest version is working fine on my slow laptop!

On my PC, I can't even install Luminar. And this includes Luminar3!!. The setup exe is not opening, no matter what version compatibility, administrator or what have you.

Only the .msi works.

But then, Luminar.exe has stopped working.

Mike Harris

Like most I’d given up with Luminar 4 till Skylum have found a fix so I was using Photoshop and just happened to see the menu to interface with Luminar 4 and thought what the hell I’ll try it and wham it opened and worked as normal🤔. I was hoping it would stay open and I could leave it open all the time but it only exported back into Photoshop.

Helena Carter

hans franz,

This looks like a different issue. Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support and we'll do our best to assist you.

This may just be my first and last time with Skylum / Luminar 4. I just purchased Luminar to use in conjunction with and / or possibly get away from Lightroom and their subscription service. I'd heard good things about the program especially when retouching blotchy and acne filled faces. However, it's been one giant headache and loss of work time attempting to install, un-install, download and run CCleaner, rename files, turn off anti virus, edit to allow program through anti virus, restart, re-install, troubleshoot, retry compatibility mode, un-install, restart then attempt the offline version and the 4.2 version etc...etc...etc...with zero luck.I've requested a refund, but who knows if that will happen. ....have never had such issues with a program before, too bad, I was really looking forward to trying this out.

Just to add my "fourpenny worth", having hit the hanging splash screen issue, I decided that Luminar 4.3 didn't offer anything I desperately needed, and followed the instructions to revert to 4.2

I have stopped worrying about it until it is corrected,

Note that if you revert, having installed 4.2, delete folders Luminar 4 and Luminar Catalog 4 and the OLD.luminar file and rename the OLD files back to their original names (ie delete OLD) (AYOR) ... and ignore any invitation to update to 4.3.

Margaret Bright

Hi Member,

I am really sorry that you've had such a frustrating experience with our software. I will have someone from our support team locate your request and get back to you ASAP.

Matthias Meyerhof

Hallo,

ich habe alles aus diesen Beitrag versucht, aber ohne Erfolg. Ich bin jetzt wieder auf die Version 4.2.0 zurück, das läuft

Grüße aus Berlin

Andreas Epmeier

Sechs Seiten, 24 Tage - über die unbezahlbare Anzahl an Mannstunden die hier von allen gemeinsam mit Problemlösungen vergeudet wurden, rede ich schon gar nicht mehr. Ich finde es eher erschreckend, welcher Mantel des Schweigens von Anbieterseite hier langsam ausgebreitet wird. Keine nennenswerten Reaktionen, Lebenszeichen oder wenigstens eine Bitte um Geduld oder ein Zwischenstand, wären sehr hilfreich.
    Ich bekomme das Gefühl, das hier irgendwas faul ist. Übernahmegespräche? Drohende Insolvenz?
    Das Schweigen fördert nicht das Vertrauen und zerstreut auch keine Gerüchte oder Bedenken.

Und gelegentliche Antworten aus dem Satzbaukasten(oder nutzt hier jemand das alte ELIZA?), sind nicht hilfreich.

Eine Erklärung oder ein Statement der Entwickler ist mehr als überfällig.

William Brooks

This is taking far longer than expected.  I'm not sure I can remember another company that couldn't make their software work as a Photoshop plugin.  I hope that Luminar is going to come out with a fix available in the software itself, as opposed to asking users to do one-off fixes.  I'm also a little concerned with the possibility that Skylum may not view this as a priority, particularly if the problem is affecting a (relatively) small number of users.

Jared Ikeda

It looks to me that the problem is affecting more than a small number of users.  It's really odd for me since it runs fine on my desktop but not on my laptop.

Miguel Fernandes

Margaret Bright

Hi guys,

On behalf of the whole Skylum team, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the delay with providing a fix for this issue.

I am sorry that you had to experience this issue with our software and that it takes us this long to provide you all with a fix. I would like to assure you that our team is working round-the-clock to get this issue fixed as soon as possible. We will notify everyone once the fix is available.

I sincerely appreciate your patience and hope we will be able to deliver the fix soon.

William, I would like to separately address the Photoshop issue.

Due to some peculiarities with Photoshop plugin, it needs to be updated separately after you update Luminar. Our team is currently looking for a way to make the plugin update automatically along with the update of Luminar. We hope to implement this in the future.

In the meantime, to update your Luminar 4 plugin please perform the following:

1. Right-click the Luminar 4 icon > Run As Administrator.
    2. Click File > Install Plugins.
    3. Click Uninstall next to Photoshop.
    4. Reboot your PC.
    5. Right-click the Luminar 4 icon > Run As Administrator.
    6. Click File > Install Plugins.
    7. Click Install next to Photoshop.

In case there's a message You have to install this software first, click Browse and navigate to where the .exe file of your host application is. After you show Luminar where the host app is, you will be able to install the plugin for the host.

This should help you get the app working as a plugin.

Matthias Meyerhof

Der Tip funktioniert bei mir nicht. Ich komme nicht mal bis zu Punkt 2. Das Programm öffnet nicht, es bleibt im Startbildschirm hängen! Auch eine Neuinstallation bringt nichts!

The tip doesn't work for me. I don't even get to point 2. The program doesn't open, it gets stuck on the start screen! Even a new installation is of no use!

Grüße aus Berlin

Margaret Bright

Hi Matthias,

Could you please get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support? They will take a deeper look at your particular case and suggest the steps that you can try in order to get this issue resolved.

You can also ask them any questions regarding the steps suggested in this post, they will assist you.

Please also note that we have German-speaking agents, therefore feel free to reach out in German if you wish.

Johann-Peter Petz

Hallo zusammen!

Nach 2 kumulativen Win10-Updates am 12.8.2020,

habe ich probiert Luminar 4.3 nicht mehr als Administrator und im Kompatibilitätsmodus Win8 zu starten.

Hurra! Es startet ganz normal und ist deutlich schneller.

Grüße aus dem Allgäu! 

leo vonk

Hello,

The latest tip from Margaret Bright is working for me !

Thanks

Johann-Peter Petz-  copy that.

After the update of Windows 10 this morning Luminar 4.3 worked just fine even when using Avast. I found that I did not need to run as Admin or in comparability mode - worked just fine. 

Strange that! Thanks Johann-Peter Petz for pointing that out.

Barrie Edwards

Luiz Paulo

Great News... I will back to try it but, Barrie and Johann, would you guys please let us know the version number you are running just to be sure we will be running the same one.

Cheers

Speed

Chris Bertrand

Hi, 

Same pb for me. Tried all turnarounds above and none worked (with v4.3 and 4.2 !).

Sent the files to support, hope the'll find a solution.

Please sign in to leave a comment.