Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Don Evans Photography

Maybe they've gone out of business and just didn't tell us...

Helena Carter, is there any update from you or anyone from Skylum Support on the issue that is now approaching 2 months old?

Comment actions Permalink
    Chelle Harper

It has been near a couple of months since I exclaimed that I ' give up with the software'.

I returned this morning and read through furthered posts and to my utter disbelief it is still ongoing without a solution.

I ask is this software still being sold?

If so what exactly is the legality of selling software knowing it is not fit for purpose?

You are not a two bit company that was borne in a bedroom by a long bearded man who inhales constant nicotine satisfaction with stained finger tips and a Coca Cola machine perched to his side.

Some of us have our own deadlines and serious output time tables and we cannot simply call the customer and say '' Sorry I have a cold today' or sorry my mouse is broken''.

Some of us could and would and should be failed photographers if we went down that road.

The customer does not care if we have had a rather bad night etc etc.

They pay for work of whatever kind and it is presented finished at the time requested.

Seriously I ask ,no I state that if I were the head of this company heads would roll and to avoid the long road of perpetual dissatisfied customers I would offer an immediate refund and a voucher for further software ' ought that arise ' with a huge apology and statement that it won't ' ever' happen again.

I use at any one time up to eight or so applications some costing large amounts of money and others little. They all do what they are supposed to do.

I will never now purchase what ought have been good software from this company again.

Spoken only in good faith all the above that is typed by a customer or ex-customer should fire very serious warning shots across the bow.

Nobody wishes to see failure and nobody wants to be in a position of actually failing.

Thus as the saying goes ' I am out'.

Michelle Harper, Wildlife and Nature Photographer and Photographic restorer.

Pascal Coulier

hello, this is like 2 months we have this problem with splash screen blocked, tried a lot of things and it worked once but then blocked again, 2 months that we are all blocked ! that's really unacceptable.

This thread shows as answered but the problem still exists without a fix.  The workarounds do not work. I don't think I will be purchasing Luminar.ai or any other Skylum products in the future.

Barry Buehler

I have delayed the upgrade to W10 Version 2004.  It really adds nothing important and I am hoping Skylum comes up with a fix before I go to 2004.   I spent 30+ years debugging software for the programmers working on my projects.  This problem is something that Skylum should be able to track down and correct in a few days.  Maybe they don't have any talented Windows people.  It would be worth their while to put more/better resources on it, because their reputation among Windows users is tanking.  It might take a few bucks, but in the end they will profit from improved support.

Don Evans Photography

Barry Buehler - While I'm not disputing whether different methods of install may be contributing to the root cause, the fact remains that Luminar needs to make their application work.  I have no idea what the actual number is, but let's say conservatively that I have 50 programs installed on my computer, and 49 of them work... The one exception being Luminar 4.3, of course.  Out of those programs, let's say I have 10 photo/video programs and plug-ins installed.  Again, the only one not working is Luminar 4.3.

There's no way possible to get every user to install an operating system the same way, and no reason why users should be expected to retrofit an Operating System to accommodate a program that's supposed to be designed to work with it.  It's not like Windows drops an update like that out of the blue without advanced notice.  Developers have plenty of heads up with Beta to ensure their program will work with the OS.

Sorry.  My frustration is not aimed at your suggestion, rather this ridiculous 2+months long ordeal.  No word from Luminar on expectations for a fix, other than the occasional every 2 weeks or so "we're working on it" communication.  I'm seriously starting to doubt that they are, and that they've abandoned this software in favor of their upcoming release of new Luminar AI.  Until I see evidence to the contrary, that's the assumption that I'm operating on.

Erhard Markscheffel

If you have problems with the splash screen, please run the following test:

- restart Windows

- after restarting Windows, do not start Luminar 4.3, but switch the computer into flight mode first (use the notification center for example)

- start Luminar 4.3

- does Luminar 4.3 hang in the splash screen?

Please post the result here

Note: This is not a solution, but only a test of a phenomenon I noticed with a working Luminar 4.3 under high network load by data transfer via LAN in my internal network. During the transfer, my Luminar 4.3 was also hanging in the splash screen. After the end of the data transfer I had to restart Luminar 4.3 or Windows. Then Luminar 4.3 ran again without any problems.

The flight mode only interrupts wireless networks. Apparently Luminar tries to call home and a high data transfer seems to delay this call and a timeout seems to occur. But Luminar queries the flight mode and then drops the call.

Anyway, in flight mode Luminar 4.3 started in my tests even with high data transfer via LAN.

So if the splash screen ends and Luminar 4.3 run in flight mode, this might be an important hint for the Skylum support.

Glenn Nosworthy

I think EM, a few posts above, is on to something! Luminar 4.3 had been working fine for me for months until today when I got the dreaded splash screen freeze. I tried a full reinstall as instructed here, etc etc, and nothing worked. 

Then I tried EM's suggestion of going into flight mode before invoking Luminar. That seemed to do the trick! With flight mode on, I can use both the standalone app and the Photoshop plugin as normal. If I'm connected to my router, they do not work. So it has something to do with whatever communications the app is attempting during startup. 

Thanks EM

Erhard Markscheffel

Concerning the question Internet access disabled:

Luminar 4.3 normally starts without errors on my Windows 10 PC.

However, when there is high traffic from the PC to the NAS on the connected LAN network, Luminar 4.3 hangs in the splash screen.

My internet access is via the same LAN network and a connected router.

If I switch Windows to flight mode, Luminar 4.3 starts even with high traffic on my network

As a further test I blocked the internet access of my PC in the router and did not switch on the flight mode.

Then Luminar 4.3 hangs during high data traffic.

My thoughts:

- Luminar 4.3 wants to access the internet after startup

- if the internet access is too slow due to high traffic or other circumstances Luminar 4.3 gets stuck in the splash screen

- in flight mode the wireless network connections are switched off

- Luminar 4.3 seems to detect wireless network connections that are disabled and does not even try to access the Internet

So it seems that under certain circumstances or configuration Luminar 4.3 gets locked in a loop = splash screen when accessing the internet.

Glenn Nosworthy

Michael, I did just as you suggested and it works! Thanks. Set up a rule to prevent Luminar connecting and I was able to start the plugin while maintaining my internet connection for everything else. I'll update if it has any negative side-effects, but so far none. 

I hope the Skylum people will see this and focus their efforts here. 

Miguel Fernandes

Inkscape, um software de licença livre, lançou recentemente a sua versão 1.0. A versão apresentava pequenos, LIGEIROS, TÊNUES problemas durante a instalação. Duas semanas depois, Inkscape liberou sua versão 1.0.1. Sem alarde, sem "desative o antivirus, troque o nome de seis diretórios, reze três Pais-Nossos e duas Ave-Marias, e dê retorno ao nosso suporte". Não. Silenciosamente, profissionalmente, rapidamente, o time da Inkscape limpou a própria sujeira, bem discretamente, como se nada, nada, nada tivesse ocorrido.

É assim que a gente aprende a confiar num desenvolvedor. Pelo menos um desenvolvedor sério. Porque, como já disse, existem desenvolvedores sérios. E há a Skylum.

Roy Blackwell

How I solved my issue: splash screen displays for a few seconds and then aborts loading.

I ran the MSinfo report and found this error:

[Windows Error Reporting]

Time Type Details
    9/16/2020 5:28 PM Application Error Faulting application name: Luminar 4.exe, version: 4.3.0.6175, time stamp: 0x5dedc13b
Faulting module name: libcef.dll, version: 75.1.14.0

I searched my hard for libcef.dll and found several in different application folders. I copied libcef.dll (an two related DLLs) from my Nvidia folder and placed in my Luminar 4 folder (backing up the originals). Bingo! Now Luminar 4.3 opens on my desktop computer. 

Roy Blackwell

@Member: The libcef.dll in the Luminar folder was version 75.1.14.0. The one I replaced it with from my Nvidia folder was version 73.1.12.0. My desktop is a old machine with an older Nvidia graphics card. I am just happy it fixed the issue of Luminar 4.3 not loading.

Ctenanthe57 Cousins

I had the programme hang at the splash screen. I checked the lbcef.dll version in Luminar - 75.1.14.0, I replaced this file with version 73.0.0.0 from my nVidia card folder and lo and behold Luminar works again even connected to the 'net. Definitely a problem with Luminar's dll version.

A Google search for libcef.dll 75.1.14.0 Problems gives a ton of pages showing problems with this version and a load of apps including Photoshop. Time to debug Luminar or roll back to an earlier dll version.

Ctenanthe57 Cousins

If you don't have an nVidia card but need an older libcef.dll, do the following:

• Download the latest nVidia Geforce Game Ready driver from https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/
    • Download 7Zip from https://www.7-zip.org/download.html and install it
    • Right click the downloaded nVidia driver file, click 7Zip and extract everything to a folder
    • Search the folder for libcef.dll
    •  Rename the existing libcef.dll as libcef.dll.old. Copy the "new" libcef.dll to your luminar folder at C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4

Ctenanthe57 Cousins

Do NOT download dll files from dll download sites. They're usually infected.

William Brooks

Michael Keay - I'm running a Radeon graphics card and have the same problem.

As has been pointed out, the issue appears to have occurred with the latest Windows update. 

My guess is that most (if not all) of Skylum's programming talent has been occupied with Luminar AI.

Xiao Ho

Just did everything again, strictly as per the instructions.

It still doesn't work - not even the splash screen shows up.

Very disappointing not to have a solution yet, after three months. I'd be happy enough just to be able to go back to 4.1, which was working perfectly for me (apart from being slow). As it is, I've basically shelled out a big chunk of money for software which doesn't work.

Skylum needs to put some effort into fixing their product and treating their existing customers and early adopters right, rather than putting out endless ads for Luminar AI, which, going on what's happened with Luminar 4, none of us are going to buy, and will discourage anyone else from buying.

Mike Nogawd

I have got the emails and Instagram ads about AI, which they are getting chewed out in the comments section from Luminar 4 users in our exact position.  Obviously this might and should scare off new buyers for AI. 

How did they think that this would be a good idea?  What a PR nightmare and embarrassment for the company.  Alienating your core base of users and hurting sales for a newly developed product.  Brilliant, really.

Dusan Saiko

Are you seriosuly advising people to turn off the antivirus and kill it's processes? WTF?!

Martin Hyett

I'm having the same trouble as everyone else.  4.3 used to work for me then stopped.  Went back to 4.2 then reupgraded to 4.3 which worked again for a while.  Now it has stopped working again and I can't get it working.  I have tried everything suggested in the initial post but haven't got it working again.  I have sent all the information requested to Skylum as I think it is important that they get as much help as possible.

I wanted to say that all the suggestions Skylum have posted are workarounds and no-one should consider them fixes, and I'm sure Skylum don't.  I would have hoped that Skylum would have provided more feedback by now, even to say that they have replicated the issue (always the essential first stage) or what percentage of users are affected (maybe too sensitive).  I guess they haven't worked out what the issue is. This fix will probably be quite quick, once they know what is causing the problem is.

I have signed up for Luminar AI as I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I do know that I have one month to ask for a refund and I might well do that if I think this is a continuing issue.  I'm sure Skylum are treating this as top priority as they won't survive in the long term if they don't have a reliable product.

Miguel Fernandes

SeIf I were the skylum, I'd open my game. If I were Skylum, I would not treat my clients like idiots. If I were Skylum, I would act with maturity and professionalism, in a more and more competitive market. If i were Skylum, it wouldn't allow me to lose customers. If I were Skylum, I wouldn't have released a test, fake update to use my clients as lab mice.

Martin Hyett

Barry Buehler - #1 would be nice.  I don't think many companies are brave enough for #2 or #3 😀

Steven Webb - I don't think it is so much that you need the latest OS update, but that the update may reset something that makes Luminar 4.3 work again.  For a little while anyway.  I'm waiting for the next Patch Tuesday to test it out.  Not holding out too much hope though.

Gordon Hendry

Almost three months now, and counting!

Is anyone from Skylum prepared to stick their head above the parapet and tell us, truthfully, how much longer we have to wait for a solution?

Not holding my breath.

Luiz Paulo

I have defended Skylum on this forum since the beginning of the issue because I managed a lot of software development and know that hiccups happens, but now it is far more than time to have a solution, even if it is to abandon the release.

I don't want to speculate why this is happening, if it is the lack of resources applied since a new and most complete version is around the corner (Luminar AI) or anything else but I would give Skylum a "not asked"  tip: 

Part of your customer base is in shambles right now and every day of a solution delay will make it worse so, give it up. We are a month or two from the scheduled release of Luminar AI. Why not giving anyone with 4.3 issues a free Luminar AI or a full refund? This would also freed the involved in looking for a solution to work and test better the Luminar AI...

I hope Luminar AI won't have the same issues and will be a far more powerful software and this being true, it can erase all hard feelings developed from the incident. On the contrary if you release 4.3 revision 01, any small flaw will just be amplified and bring back all the bad stuff that happened.

I'm one that would accept the substitution of my licenses of 4.3 for licenses of AI. I'm not using 4.3 at all and I can wait a couple of months more without it.

Hope this can happen. 

Cheers

Speed

Nuno Santos

I totally agree with Luiz Paulo. Any kind or form of understanding is long gone. I'm not using 4.3 and had to revert back to 4.2 shortly after the first unsuccessful boots. Skylum should issue either a refund for Luminar 4 or an upgrade for Luminar AI. Anything less is a disservice to the loyal customers. Whe didn't pay for software that doesn't fully commit to its promises.

Arthur McFarlane

I have tried all solutions offered - some with trepidation - but no fix has consistently worked. I sent my set up to skylum as requested and followed their advice - now have at best an unstable version that if the wind blows in the right direction it might work. I am fortunate to have adobe photoshop and Lightroom, On-one, Boris Fx  and numerous topaz programmes - they all work with whatever setup my windows system is!  I just want to leave a public comment - that no information is poor customer service. I have not continued posting - just waited to give reasonable time for their bods to get their heads around the issue - but agree with latest comments -to basically expect AI version to be their priority.  I have taken to commenting on  various media platforms demonstrating ( advertising)  the new AI,  my discontent - as sadly it seems the only way to try and influence the market base they are seeking to draw in. Hopefully someone  will offer us discontents some options/compensation/solution ...something!

Gordon Hendry

A month ago, in this thread I invited comment from the CEO of Skylum on this issue. No response!  17 days ago I tried again with a new post "Luminar 4.3 upgrade - the farce continues" which resulted in the offer of a refund or complimentary items from the Marketplace but still no response from the CEO.  I accepted the offer of the items from the Marketplace because, frustrating as it is, I still like Luminar for quick edits.

Having said that I certainly don't feel that I have been bought off and I would still like a response, from someone in a position of authority, to my questions.

Robert Simoneau

I think not having a fix for almost three months is horrible. They need to take down the update so those of us forced back to Version 4.2 do not have to put up with the update dialog over and over. Each time I see it, I get more dissatisfied with the support. It is like a second slap in the face.

Miguel Fernandes

Are you talking about a developer who GIVES OUT ITSELF, by it's own free will, THE ALARM, and apologizes to ALL of it's customer community THE VERY NEXT DAY? One who doesn't "thank you for your patience" two months later? One that works for the Asian market, which has very  little patience and considers negligence a dishonor?

Please sign in to leave a comment.