Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Daniel Hines

As a previous poster said, this is down to skylum to come up with a proper fix. It should not be up to me to be switching antivirus off and on....doing this or that, trying various work arounds. We should be able to download the programme and get on with editing.

Comment actions Permalink
    Helga Rowles

Hi Daniel, please let me assure you that we're looking for a way to fix this issue on our end. As soon as we have any news, we will update this post.

Chelle Harper

P.S   I was building quality PC's since 1992 and understood the protocols ( damned things ) on Windows 95 etc.

I shall tell your quality control why this software is now not working and it is very very simple.

A cumulative Windows update ( two to be accurate ) happened before and after this updated software came out !

That is why ' some' have it working and ' some' do not it is that simple.

Remember also many may use ' limited internet or have chosen not to update Windows on the support panel'.

So to sum it all up it is because of a security update that Windows updated and therefore Windows is freezing for some and not for others.

The answer is for YOU to work around the operating system this prog should work on and not the other way around.

Thank you kindly I accept cash btw.

EM

@Skylum support: Sorry, but your suggestion to turn of any firewall, anti-virus-programm etc. is a impertinence!

Do you really expect, to turn off protecting measures to run such a buggy program.

It's not the first time that Skylum annoys her customers with problematic installations, buggy updates, etc.

@Skylum: It's time to do your homework instead to make cash with promising new features!!!

If not, there will be more disappointed users than new users. And than will Luminar another chapter in the history of mismanaged software production. 

BC

I can't speak for the rest of the community, but I'm just a photographer. I'm not an IT pro, nor should I have to be. I bought this software about two weeks before the update and it worked fine. It will work one time (and only one time) after I reboot. If I attempt to open it a second time, it hangs at the splash screen. 

Steven Jackson

Guys, I think we need to relax a bit. Right now - there are a lot more important things going on right now...

Skylum was an all Mac company before they changed their name. I think they might have some catching up to do.

Just roll back to ver. 4.2. The links, and instructions, are above. Use their directions, or, if you have a backup from when ver. 4.2 was installed, copy back the Skylum/Luminar 4 Program files, and the User/Apdata/Roaming/Luminar 4. If the update failed, you will not need to copy the catalog (because it was not converted). If it was, it's in users/"your name"/pictures/Luminar 4.

I hate that this doesn't work, but let's please put it perspective.

EM

That's my experience to.

And once again. I'm with Luminar since 2017!

Bugs, Bugs, Bugs with every version, rarely corrections with updates.

On the other site many promises for every new version. Intensive marketed. The same procedure for years and every new versions.

And with every new version new disapointments!

EM

@Steven Jackson, i*m not relaxed about promised, paid but broken promises.

No problems with a one time glitch.

But Luminar is an my Red List für 3 years.

Don Evans Photography

I'm relaxed.  NOW.  But, that is after days of support sending me troubleshooting message after message... asking me to do this, do that... change this, check that.  I literally had to come here to the forum, out of curiosity, to find that the 4.2 link was available.  That should have been the first thing they said to everyone.  "Look, we screwed up royally.. Roll back and install 4.2 while we work on a fix."

So, while it's working now (on 4.2), I'm still fuming that I wasted days of useless troubleshooting while in the middle of trying to edit a large wedding gallery and I wasn't told it was a wide-spread issue. Admittedly, I was dumb enough to update in the middle of important workflow.

The fact that rolling back 4.2 works is testimony to the fact that their update was bad, and they should stop referring people to use band-aid individual fixes as "trouble-shooting".  They're attacking the wrong end of the problem.  Just admit the update is bad, tell everyone to roll-back, and fix the code.  My response would have been, "Okay, that sucks, but thanks.  Let me know once it's fixed and I'll download the update..."  I wouldn't be here writing on this forum right now.

Ironically, anytime you open the 4.2 link, it is prompting you to upgrade to 4.3.   LOL

Having said all of that, I am a big fan of the software, and I do hope it is resolved soon.

Steven Jackson

I'm not suggesting that we forgive them for this BS.- just that lowering the level of vitriol might be better.

Bruno F.W. Ristl, Bakk.phil.

I see it very relaxed as the version 4.2.0 still works for me. 
    I have seen lots of updates in the Microsoft world in the last 25 years which crashed servers, desktops, notebooks, ....

Such things can happen - sad but true and that is a fact.

Lumina guys have to learn how to handle better such issues - that is also true.

I worked in gaming for years and a lot of isses were end users machines and third party software. But in this case its  clearly the software issue as it was working in 4.2. Either roll it back or fix it, stop blaming end users and getting them to try fixes that wont work. 

Paul Russell

I first got Laminar 2018 and couldn't believe how good it was to use. Updated to Luminar 3. Again a very useful photographic tool to use. Then paid again for the all singing all dancing Luminar 4 - how disappointing it became - constantly crashing for no reason - nothing to do with the power of my machine as I do HD video editing with no problems. All the promises that were made for the latest update to cure most of the crashing and make it not so resource hungry - FAILED!!!  I will be seriously looking for my money back and a more stable photo editor  - I DO NOT WANT TO KEEP REINSTALLING THE PROGRAM EVERY TIME I COME TO USE IT!!!!!  

David Quillman

I reinstalled 4.2 and am just waiting for a fixed release. My anxiety can't handle going through another failed install. Have a good day.

Miguel Fernandes

No one can deny: they are really adding drama.and creating dramatic... Photo collections.

Bryan Nagy

I just purchased this product yesterday and encountered the same problems as everyone else in here.  I attempted to do the "fixes" for roughly 9 straight hours.  I even attempted to install the 4.2 version and that crashes as well.  I give up.  I just want my damn money back.  Why sell a product that doesn't freaking work?  I have sent a resolution complaint to paypal hoping for a refund of my money.  You sold goods that are not functioning and that is fraudulent! 

Victoria Grace

Hey Brian,

I'm sorry you've encountered this issue as well. If you wish we could issue a refund for your purchase at your earliest convenience. Could you please contact us via support@skylum.com and we'll do that right away?

Nita Reed

Has there been anything said about a fix, yet?  Love the software...when it works.

I use Luminar 4 w/ Aurora HDR plug-in.  Either freezing or crashing.  To do 3 or 4 photos takes a very long time.  Very.

Don't want a refund...just a fix.

Brian Berry

Have also just purchased this product and am getting the same issue unfortunately.

Like others i cannot believe that one of the Skylum team are seriously suggesting disabling Anti-virus protection in an attempt to get it working....!  The support team blew their credibility with this one statement.

If 4.3.0 is a known issue why on earth are Skylum allowing anyone to download it?  Definitely agree with Bryan Nagy, Skylum are misleading new and existing customers and so i am requesting a refund as well.  Future MBA courses should use this shambles of how not to roll-out a product!

Nita Reed

Ok...don't know if this will help anyone else or not, but spoke to a friend and he recommended this,,,and it worked!  I processed images with Luminar 4 & Aurora HDR dor 4 hours... NO ISSUES

1. Clean up start up (go to start up and deselect any non-essential start up items)

2.  Restart

3.  ONLY open Luminar 4 ( you can use the aurora as plugin w/ no issue). Process whatever you need to.  

4.  Close Luminar 4 (make sure aurora is closed, as well)

5.  I use Inkscape and I was able to open and use...NO ISSUES

Even though I technically have sufficient specs.  He said some beasts don't like competing.  At first, I balked...then my workload convinced me to at least try.  I used my mobile phone for EVERYTHING ELSE.

As I said, don't know if it will help anyone else or not, but it definitely did me.  My stress level is waaay down.

If it works...perhaps it  will keep you sane til they come up with a fix.

Nuno Santos

Does not work for me after doing all the steps. Had to roll back to 4.2. Any update soon?

Steven Roels

Ik had hetzelfde probleem maar, in een ander windowsaccount op mijn WIndows 10 computer lukte het me zonder problemen om Luminar 4.3 te gebruiken. Dat is een windowsaccount (administrator)  op mijn computer waarin ik Luminar nog nooit gebruikt heb.

Vervolgens heb ik in mijn windowsaccount alles verwijderd van Luminar, door het programma te verwijderen, de Luminar catalogus te verwijderen en verder op de c: schijf te laten zoeken naar Luminar en dan alle resultaten te verwijderen 

Ik heb ook mijn account in Windows 10 tijdelijk aangepast van standaardgebruiker naar administrator; zodat  bij de installatie de nodige wijzigingen konden worden doorgevoerd worden, maar achteraf gezien betwijfel ik of dat nodig was. 

Hierna Luminar opnieuw geïnstalleerd, moest opnieuw registreren en het duurde een minuutje of 2 maar nu werkt Luminar 4.3 al enkele dagen zonder problemen. 

WIl je de Luminar catalogus behouden (staat waarschijnlijk in de map afbeeldingen in je windowsaccountmap, kopieer deze dan naar een andere schijf of zo, zodat je hem naderhand kan importeren.

Veel succes! Ik kan niet verzekeren of het bij anderen werkt, bij mij in elk geval wel. 

Steve Daggar

Nita Reed doesnt help those of us that only use Luminar as a plugin. Meanwhile all suggested fixes have failed to get my 4.3 working so I am still on 4.2. I had a bit of correspondence with support back and forth last weekend and beginning this week, but nothing since

Michel Callewaert

Hi,

After update to version 4.3 Luminar stuck in splash screen. Followed the provided steps. Tried offline installer after uninstall of Luminar. No success. Downloaded 4.2 offline installer but that also is not installing. 

Norton 360 is inactivated. .NET and C++ are installed. Now I do not have a working Luminar anymore.

Please provide help. First time I have issues since I use Luminar  (since it was introduced).

Kind regards

Michel

Don Evans Photography

Michel Callewaert  Go to the top of this forum page, and read Skylum's message.  Do NOT pay any attention to their random suggestions of resolution, because they're just guessing.  Look at the last sentence of their post and you will see the link to download Skylum 4.2.  Assuming it was working fine in 4.2 for you, once you uninstall 4.3 and install 4.2, you should be back to normal.  Then, monitor this forum until you see that there's finally a real bug fix for 4.3

Michel Callewaert

Downloaded the 4.2 offline installer but that also is not installing. Norton 360 is inactive. 

I had some Windows 10 update today which were installed, is that the cause ???

Don Evans Photography

Michel Callewaert  I'm not an IT troubleshooter, but I think you need to define what "is not installing" means.  Is it actually not installing, or you install it and it still hangs at splash screen.  Perhaps with that information, someone could offer advice.  All I know is that I tried the 57 different "suggestions" from Skylum and nothing helped make it work.  I then uninstalled 4.3, then installed 4.2 and it immediately worked again.

Michel Callewaert

Don Evans Photography : I do a right click, run as administrator but nothing happens. If I look into task manager nothing from Luminar is running.

Steve Daggar

any news from Skylum on progress on developing a patch/update to fix this issue that despite numerous suggested workarounds continues to plague many?

Erol Kulac

Just wanted to say that I have the same problem and are waiting for a solution.

I reinstalled 4.2 for the time until that solution finally comes...

Please sign in to leave a comment.