Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Erhard Markscheffel

Why wait for a solution of the Luminar 4.3 problem?

There will be no successor for Luminar 4 anyway and Luminar AI cannot use the image database created with Luminar 3 and 4.

In the next weeks until the end of the year there will be upgrades for most image processing programs. Mostly with cheap starter offers. And then there is Black Friday.

So why still ride the dying horse Luminar 4 :(

Saying goodbye to Skylum is not difficult for me because of the lack of efforts to solve the Luminar 4.3 problem quickly and the perspective that there is no real successor for Luminar 4.

Comment actions Permalink
    Setiawan Kartawidjaja

I still keep on Luminar 4.2 on my ASUS Laptop, while other in 4.3

Ok - looking forward to see the fix.

Barry Buehler

I am not wealthy, but the price of LuminarAI is within my range of "what the heck" money, so I preordered.
    Nothing to lose.  Some folks buy lottery tickets, play slot machines, or eat kale.  

I hope that it will be fun and useful, but I still have my full-fledged editors around.

Steven Webb

SO GLAD I did not pre-order Luminar AI. I'll wait and watch the forum to see how it's working or not working for others. In the meantime, version 4.2 is working and version 4.3 will never see the light of day on my computer again.

Gary Hutchings

As an Enterprise level Tech support Engineer/Software developer.  To make your customers jump through these kinds of hoops to make up for your companies inability to code properly is nearly criminal. Looks like your tech notes only wasted their time. They already wasted their money on your product. 

**I was able to get a message directly to the CEO of this company. THEY DON"T CARE!!**

I still use your program, BECAUSE I CAN MAKE IT WORK. No help from your tech notes and scripted response.. **Just bought a new copy of Photoshop though**

Same thing happened to Symantec, I told them to their faces what would happen years ago.  "Fix your bugs or go out of business. Stop focusing on features over bug fixes"

Same thing, you focus on new versions and new features. Your priority is new sales, over fixing bugs. 

Your company only cares about profit, you will be out of business if you don't change.  

*** For those suffering from uncaring support, if the program manages to come up at all for you one time, set everything to internal drives.  Don't set your export path to an external drive.  Move your catalog to another location(Internal Drive Only) and run through applying admin permissions to all folders and sub-folders.******

Glenn Nosworthy

Barry, just because you want to be a cheerleader for Skylum ("Skylum is great! Best ever") doesn't mean that the rest of us have to be. You say you've "never had a moment's trouble with their software" -- good for you. But the many frustrated posts in this thread show that there are vastly different experiences out there from yours, and you don't get to dismiss them. I like Luminar (a lot), but when it works. Like many others, I've spent a lot of my time trying to make it work. So you (who have been fortunate to have no issues) and Skylum need to understand why others here might be frustrated over their experiences, especially when we receive frequent marketing about a new version of the product when we're struggling with the 'old' one.  

Udo Dittrich

Hallo und danke für den Hinweis mit dem Kompatibilitätsmodus WIN8 - das hat funktioniert, alles andere (Neuinstallation, Administrator etc.) nicht.

Nachdem ich mutig geworden war und der Offline-Installer erhältlich war, habe ich auf meinem 2. Rechner erst einmal Luminar 4.2 deinstalliert, mit CCleaner alles bereinigt und dann 4.3.0.6175 neu installiert - es geht, auch ohne Kompatibilitätsmodus.

Fazit: Ohne Offline-Installer tut sich bei mir zukünftig gar nichts mehr - keine interne Update-Funktion, die regelmäßig Probleme macht.

Ansonsten bin ich seit Luminar 2018 Kunde, auch um eine scheinbar gute Alternative zum Platzhirsch zu fördern. Ich habe und werde allerdings auf absehbare Zeit Luminar nie wirklich benutzt, sonder nur gestestet mit einigen wenigen Urlaubsfotos.

Die ständigen Probleme bei Installatin und Update, die (in der Vergangenheit?) schlechte Performance, Abstürze, Inkompatibilitäten (was ist it dem alten Dateiformat?) etc. - Leute so geht das nicht!

Effizienz UND Effektivität - bisher hat sich noch jedes Unternehmen SELBST ruiniert... Ich hoffe, Ihr kriegt die Kurve!

Dane Robinson

I did the above and now I have zero files in the the new luminar installed.  How do I get my photos with the edits previously done imported? yes...I've also sent to tech team, but man you guys are sooooooooooo slow to respond.  You really should have an instant chat set up.

Juan I Martin

Hi, thanks to Udo Dittrich, I think I found a solution that works for me. Just set  the compatibility mode to Windows 8 and now the program starts. Too late though. I am very dissapointed with this program and won´t be using it any more.

Alexander Tuma

Tried all the optons mentioned above by the support. Trozdem doesn't work. Hangs on the start screen.

Steven Jackson

Same problem.  Setting compatibility mode to WIN 8 (as was suggested above) worked for me on the stand-alone version.  The PS plugin does not work, however.  Tried the old version of the plugin - still doesn't work.  Something is really wrong with this software.

Will St.

It won't open for me as well

I want to downgrade until this work

Can you please provide a download to 4.2.0

Thank you

Alexandre Alex

Hello, i have the same problem with the version 4.3

4.2 is OK on my computer, thanks JT for the file.

Marc Marc

I just bought Luminar 4 and it hangs in the loading screen after installation.
    I see Only "Luminar 4 Version 74.3.0 (6175) and the awards and the mountains but nothing more, the software does not Open.

Already have Uninstall Luminar and delete registrations with CCleaner and by hand. Appdata folder with Luminar as well as installation path was also cleaned up without improvement. Windows 10 Pro (x64) is fresh this all Frameworks (All in One Runtime) Windows Defender was also turned off and on again, Drivers are all reinstalled .

I'm a little frustrated. I buy a version and it doesn't work. Please Help

Steve Daggar

likewise tried all of the suggestions, still not working with 4.3. 4.2 working ok

Miguel Fernandes

Yep, Steven Jackson! You don't have a problem, but a very nice solution. The point is that, in some cases, the solution could become a problem. Imagine a software that detects the performance improvement possibilities that your video card is capable of. So, this software deposits on your GPU much of the work that was previously performed by the CPU. If the software is not well designed to work with your powerful solution, then the software will turn your solution into a problem. In fact, the problem will the software itself, but in practice, it transferred the issue to your GPU. I have no way of knowing if this is the case here. I'm just speculating that the high performance of a GPU can become a problem when a software requires the card to perform at its best, perhaps in a not very adequate way.

Steven Jackson

Miguel:  I think you may very well have hit on it.  The GPU in the laptop (that upgraded OK) is not as heavy duty. I also cannot find any other significant differences in the software configurations of the two machines.  At this point, I decided to run ver 4.2, and wait and see if Skylum can clean up their act.  Thanks for the help.

Mike Connors

It was this which finally fixed it for me. Can't think why, as I'm running Windows 10. I also increased the page size, so I don't really know which was the critical part:

1. Right-click on the Luminar icon.
    2. Go to Properties > Compatibility.
    3. Enable 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8' checkbox.
    4. Press 'Ok'.
    Frank Meier

Nothing does help

I've tried every tip above - nochting works.

Please fix the Programm Skylum!!!

I'm not an IT-Expert, I'm a Photographer.

Workarounds are not professional!!!

Chelle Harper

Totally unacceptable to be forced to do a damn thing just to make some software that never passed quality control work.

Not going to happen here.

I use multiple progs from Paint shop pro to Alien skin to DX0 etc etc. They ALL work.

I need to transfer or migrate many photographs to many different applications and using Luminar 4 is most certainly now never going to be one of them..I for one am out.

Miguel Fernandes

Well ... I have to admit that Chelle Harper is right. I went through two similar situations, with two serious developers, one in Alabama, the other in Moscow. Both produce really unique plugins. And both avoided asking me to modify settings on my system as much as possible. On the contrary, they just asked me for a detailed report of the failure conditions and quickly delivered their products to me in perfect conditions of use. They are not stars in the software world, but someone like Chelle Harper would have nothing to complain about their professionalism towards their customers.

Chelle Harper

P.S   I was building quality PC's since 1992 and understood the protocols ( damned things ) on Windows 95 etc.

I shall tell your quality control why this software is now not working and it is very very simple.

A cumulative Windows update ( two to be accurate ) happened before and after this updated software came out !

That is why ' some' have it working and ' some' do not it is that simple.

Remember also many may use ' limited internet or have chosen not to update Windows on the support panel'.

So to sum it all up it is because of a security update that Windows updated and therefore Windows is freezing for some and not for others.

The answer is for YOU to work around the operating system this prog should work on and not the other way around.

Thank you kindly I accept cash btw.

Steven Jackson

Guys, I think we need to relax a bit. Right now - there are a lot more important things going on right now...

Skylum was an all Mac company before they changed their name. I think they might have some catching up to do.

Just roll back to ver. 4.2. The links, and instructions, are above. Use their directions, or, if you have a backup from when ver. 4.2 was installed, copy back the Skylum/Luminar 4 Program files, and the User/Apdata/Roaming/Luminar 4. If the update failed, you will not need to copy the catalog (because it was not converted). If it was, it's in users/"your name"/pictures/Luminar 4.

I hate that this doesn't work, but let's please put it perspective.

Erhard Markscheffel

@Steven Jackson, i*m not relaxed about promised, paid but broken promises.

No problems with a one time glitch.

But Luminar is an my Red List für 3 years.

I worked in gaming for years and a lot of isses were end users machines and third party software. But in this case its  clearly the software issue as it was working in 4.2. Either roll it back or fix it, stop blaming end users and getting them to try fixes that wont work. 

Paul Russell

I first got Laminar 2018 and couldn't believe how good it was to use. Updated to Luminar 3. Again a very useful photographic tool to use. Then paid again for the all singing all dancing Luminar 4 - how disappointing it became - constantly crashing for no reason - nothing to do with the power of my machine as I do HD video editing with no problems. All the promises that were made for the latest update to cure most of the crashing and make it not so resource hungry - FAILED!!!  I will be seriously looking for my money back and a more stable photo editor  - I DO NOT WANT TO KEEP REINSTALLING THE PROGRAM EVERY TIME I COME TO USE IT!!!!!  

David Quillman

I reinstalled 4.2 and am just waiting for a fixed release. My anxiety can't handle going through another failed install. Have a good day.

Austin Miller

Hi everyone! We are working around the clock on fixing the issues with the update 4.3.0. Please stay tuned!

Xiao Ho

This is broken.

I installed the 4.2.0 version via the link, and now that doesn't work either. Doesn't matter if I'm running it as an administrator or not - not even the startup screen will show up. Tried running it from Windows Explorer and from Run, too - it does nothing, launches nothing, doesn't even start any new processes or use any resources.

My previous version (4.1.0) used to work perfectly.

Running Windows 7, for what it's worth.

Stefan Schneider

Hi Kirk,

first of all, I uninstalled Luminar 4 after experiencing the before mentioned issues with the 4.2 version. So neither Luminar 4.3 nor Luminar 4.2 is actually on my computer.

So, now I reinstalled v. 4.3 (offline installer). Contrary to my expectations, Luminar 4.3 ran up through to displaying the last image I was about editing when I first ran into the problems (a few days ago after the first updating).

After a few seconds . I was just about to start feeling happy - Luminar ended itself without any indication. It just disappeared from the screen.

Recalling the shy feeling of happiness a minute before, I did what you suggested, went to 'program files' and choose 'Windows 8 compatibility mode' and launched Luminar from that postion. This time - surprise - it opened up and showed the same image at the same state as before, but unfortunately it didn't give me time to feel the same happines as before. It crashed after - I counted - 3 seconds.
    I must admit, this compatibility issue was one of the few suggestions I hadn't tried before.

I might try the same for v.4.2 later on.

Please sign in to leave a comment.