Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Luiz Paulo

Sorry but GPU solution is not the issue, or at least not all of it... I use a 1080Ti and to check if a driver was culprit I removed the board from my computer and run it with the embedded Intel GPU and the result was the same...freeze at splash screen.

Comment actions Permalink
    Michael Eicher

Hi all,
    Every software must run on standard win 10 installations! (With internal protection) there should be no need to install 3rd party security solutions. All (!) other photo- graphic- music- cad- Software runs without modifications on my system. Luminar should also!!!
    I know, it could be difficult to figure out, what the problem is. Support: please don‘t tell your customers to terminate security tasks with process explorer - that’s very dangerous!

Don Evans Photography

Agree with Michael Eicher.  Customers should not be terminating security tasks, turning off firewalls, messing with C++ and the registry... That is NOT best practice.  Fix the Code!  What incensing me most of all is that after days of back and forth with Support, I finally came onto this forum and saw that the issue is wide-spread... all the while they were giving me directions to troubleshoot my own machine that worked perfectly until I pressed the button to update Luminar.

The root cause is not with personal computers, it is the Luminar software update.  Fix that, and stop wasting time trying to fix thousands of customer computers, especially dangerous recommendations. 

Daniel Hines

As a previous poster said, this is down to skylum to come up with a proper fix. It should not be up to me to be switching antivirus off and on....doing this or that, trying various work arounds. We should be able to download the programme and get on with editing.

Geoffroy VEGER

Same problem here, 4.3 and 4.2 doesn't work, they show splash screen fo few seconds and close. Only the 4.1.1 works

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_411.exe

I don't have any 3rd party antivirus software and no dedicated GPU.

Miguel Fernandes

Jared Ikeda

It looks to me that the problem is affecting more than a small number of users.  It's really odd for me since it runs fine on my desktop but not on my laptop.

Erwin Kargl

Ok, tried out without compatibilty mode, Luminar is starting, that´s ok, but thumbnails still disapear, like this it is not usable for me. Have to look for an alternative, cause I need to get my work done.

Erwin

Stefan Schneider

I'm not sure that this is only an issue with registry cleaning. Maybe there are other circumstances that trigger this strange behaviour with hanging splash screen or even not being able to lauch the application at all. People have experienced different issues. But I also believe that Skylum could do a lot better in rolling back an installation process that doesn't end successfully. And one must come to the conclusion that they actually don't have a clue why all this mess came up. This is strange.

What I really don't understand is, if Skylum believes that there is somebody among their user base who, as a professional phototgrapher is dependent on this application and still is having this issues, why don't they inform them about their advancements in searching for the root cause of this problem(s). And even if they haven't found the root cause yet, it's helpful to know what they've looked into so far.

In the end, people need to have an idea when they can expect a fix or a workaround that reliably works for them. 

Even when Luminar is working for me for the last 3 weeks, I must say I'm not confident that it still will work the next day. To get back confidence one must konw why things went south, I think.

I see and appreciate that they are trying to help. But I wouldn't consider these suggestions as being a solution, just as a quick temporary  help.

This became longer than intended, sorry.

Daniel Santana

I am feeling quite insulted, this is a total attack to the human intelligence...

I have got this issue now for quite long, I have follow all the instructions out there (Official and unofficial) and there is the same issue. Yes!! the instructions works but, the very next day you open an image in PS, you decide to work the skies in Luminar, launch Luminar and there it is again stuck. So, here we go again... Follow all the instructions, waste 20min of precious editing time to solve the problem, edit happy with the amazing results but, if tomorrow you want to use again the software, you have to count with the 20 extra minutes to do all this crap again...

So, I have got to the conclusion that you guys got a serious trouble and you are not able to solve it, then you are selling us here instructions to solve a problem that it is YOURS not ours!! = Insult to the human intelligence since I have pay for a software that I have to FIX MYSELF each time I want to use it.

Don Evans Photography

Member  Sorry you got caught up in this at the wrong time.  I will reiterate, selling 4.3 to new users is shameful.  At the very least, they should revert back to 4.2 if they choose to keep selling this.  

I believe "your issue" may be your catalog, created when 4.3 was installed.  Go to the top of this page for instructions on fixes... Do NOT pay attention to Registry Cleaning, or Firewall.... pay particular attention to steps 4 and 5, and then skip to the bottom line where the link to 4.2 is located.

1. Reboot your PC.

2. Uninstall Luminar.

How to uninstall an app on Windows 7 (click this text to open link).

How to uninstall an app on Windows 8 (click this text to open link).

How to uninstall an app on Windows 10 (click this text to open link).

4. Type %appdata% in Search (folder Roaming should open).

Find the folder “Luminar 4” and rename it to "Luminar 4 old". Please note that this folder contains your license for Luminar 4, as well as your Custom and downloaded Looks. You will be later to access them later if necessary.

5. Go to Pictures folder and rename the folder called "Luminar 4 Catalog" (if you have your Catalog anywhere else, find it and rename it to "Luminar 4 Catalog old").

Open the folder and locate the file with .luminar file extension. Change the name of this file to "Luminar 4 Catalog old" as well.

6. Reboot your PC.

Install 4.2  https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_420.exe

William Brooks

Hard to believe Skylum has let this problem go unresolved for over a month.  I have recommended Luminar on multiple photography forums many times, but I no longer do so.  The problem with the 4.3 release is fairly common.  Here's how I now respond to anyone who has a problem with Luminar 4.3:

There is a known issue with the Luminar 4.3 release, and Skylum has not issued an update to fix it. I tried Skylum's tech support suggestions, and none worked. Finally I uninstalled the program, cleaned the registry with CCleaner, and reinstalled the previous version (4.2) which is stable and works fine. The 4.2 version is available on their website.

For anyone inquiring as to whether they should purchase Luminar, I advise them to hold off until Skylum issues an update to fix the problem.

Aside from Photoshop, Luminar has been my favorite editing program.  What a shame Skylum has let this problem drag on.  I don't think they really understand the damage they are doing to their future sales.

Don Evans Photography

William Brooks, I gave pretty much the same advice/warning to potential buyers in comments 2 days ago after having watched a sponsored Youtube video on Phlearn.  I can only assume that they provided Aaron with a 4.2 copy because it actually worked during the tutorial.  But I felt obligated to warn potential buyers that Luminar has been broken for over a month now.  EVEN IF a new buyer purchases and downloads 4.2 from the beginning, the VERY FIRST thing that happens when you open 4.2 is a prompt to upgrade and download 4.3... are you kidding me??????  

Don, maybe it just makes sense to start going to all the sponsored YouTube reviews and tutorials and commenting on how we all have unusable (literally) products. It would be one thing if Skylum acknowledged a serious flaw in their software, removed 4.3 from their servers completely, and advised customers to revert to 4.2. But that the first thing you see is a notification to upgrade back to 4.3? Negative press seems to be the only motivator these days. I wonder if anybody at Petapixel or DPReview uses any Skylum products.

William Brooks

One other thing that has me baffled.  Skylum is not giving us any information on the status of an update for fixing this bug.  Is it possible they're not working on it?

Bert van Barneveld

Perhaps they skip 4.3 and deploy 4.4 straight away

Gordon Hendry

Have to agree with Don and William, I don't get any feeling that this is being treated urgently.  All we get from Skylum in this thread is the oft repeated advice to clean up your registry and go back to version 4.2. 

While that appears to work for most of us, we still get the laughable "upgrade now" message every time we open Luminar.  After more than a month we deserve better.

Come on, Skylum, we are waiting!!

Just had an invite to join Luminar X Membership. They've got to be kidding me right?

Gordon Hendry

Me too!  Do they really expect us to shell out more money when we currently aren't getting value from what we have already paid for?   I, for one, will certainly think long and hard before parting with any more cash to Skylum.  Luminar isn't the only software out there and I'm losing patience.  While I don't expect them to lose any sleep if I don't stay with them, they shouldn't expect me to be singing their praises to my fellow photographers.

Whilst I don't intend to try and solve Luminar/Skylum's problems for them, I have a couple of thoughts.

I am successfully running 4.3 on a desktop and a laptop. Both have Windows 10 and the desktop is version 2004 (the laptop when I last checked was 1909).

Robert Simoneau reports that 4.3 suddenly stopped working for him. Something must have changed - presumably the OS which Microsoft update without users realising. Is the problem related to OS version? Is it peculiar to Windows 10? Is it a geographical issue with different versions of Luminar being downloaded? I am in UK, Luminar build 4.3.0(6175).

That said, I share the feeling that Skylum/Luminar are doing nothing. One month ago, Helga Rowles said "Our developers are working around the clock to find the root cause of the issue". Well, they must be exhausted by now!

Am I alone in thinking that Skylum are providing knee-jerk responses to criticisms. And the various staff providing the responses are not communicating with each other or providing a definitive company response (whatever that might be!).

Andrew J

Manfred Hoss

I think this is not true, you want push Luminar AI, and in few month LuminarAI+..... I have Luminar 3 and Luminar 4, but never buy AI. Do you have enough manpower to solve this main issue and develope AI? I think no...because time to solve is much too long!

Daniel Hines

I for one wont be updating to the AI version, Skylum have lost my trust and I wont be investing any more money in them.

Barry Buehler

As always, stonewalling is worse than giving out bad news.  It's like the airlines telling you there will be a short delay.  You know it's B.S.

If they haven't made progress- tell us

If they have - tell us what.

Terrible customer relations.  I works in the short term, but it does irreparable damage to reputation.

p.s. I am one of the lucky users, but I feel for those with problems.

Jared Ikeda

I've also given up on Skylum.  Won't be purchasing anything from them anymore.

Steven Webb

Mine won't run either. I installed 4.03.6175, used it ONE TIME, and now it won't run again. All I get is the splash screen and then it shuts down.

I've looked at the moderator's suggestions and also read many of the comments in this thread. And I'm sorry but all the hoops the Skylum people want us to jump through to try to get THEIR SOFTWARE WHICH WE PAID FOR to work is just total B.S. I'm not going to do it. I have other software I can use that ACTUALLY WORKS. Skylum's suggestions just sound too damn much like all the crap many of us went through in the early 2000's to try to get some software to run. These days with other great choices out there it simply is not worth all the hassle to try to figure out for them why their software isn't working.

Skylum, figure this out and get back to us.

Alexander Tuma

@roy. That is all well and good. I also pre-ordered the AI. But for more than 2 months a lot of Windoes 10 users (including me) have had the same problem. And of course when you've bought software, you want it to work too. All of the various suggestions made by the support have failed. I have really invested many hours of my life here to find a solution and many others too. At least the support should be so far that people do not need to try things out in the knowledge that they do not work or are abstruse such as. Deactivate firewall and virus protection. It is clearly a software error that occurs with certain Windows 10 versions and the problem should not actually be solved. If only a few of the series cars that are sold are defective, the seller and not the buyer is responsible ...

Glenn Nosworthy

ROY:  Or it could be the age-old marketing trick, leading customers to believe that 1) the product is so popular everyone is buying it and 2) there are only a few left on the shelf so you better get your own now. I wouldn't be so skeptical if they had put a date deadline on the pre-orders (e.g., Sept 30) rather than a quota which cannot be verified. I, for one, have a hard time believing that almost 30,000 people have pre-ordered L-AI given that it's a somewhat niche product (albeit a good one when it works); it's not Photoshop. I didn't pre-order myself because I haven't seen enough information about it to convince me that it's what I want; I've been burned before by products that get too simplified (in order to appeal to a broader base) that they lose some important functionality.

As for this forum just attracting people with complaints, don't be so sure. Word is out. I first became aware of this problem on DPreview (a VERY popular photography website) when they posted the announcement of Luminar AI. A lot of people jumped in and said they were having problems with the current version. I was surprised by all the frustration being expressed because Luminar was working just fine for me at the time. Then the frozen-splash problem caught up to me a couple of weeks later. People out there know that this product is facing difficulties at the moment -- it's not just us. 

Anyway, I've got it to work for me again (by starting it with admin privileges) and I'm going to hold off on L-AI until I see how that goes. Once burned, twice shy...    

Erhard Markscheffel

NO!!!!: completely disabling the protection of a productive operating system by a normal user, even for seconds or minutes, is like Russian Roulette.

Imho not recommended to solve the startup problems of Luminar 4.3 customers!

The users of Luminar 4 have paid Skylum. Skylum has to deliver a working product for our money!

Daniel Hines

Well chums, i was in the same boat as you, until the other day and Windows did some updating and suddenly Luminar has come back from the dead and works fine and dandy. So, it seems to me that the fault is something to do Windows 10 and Luminar  added together where in the past 2+2= 5... it now makes 4.

Barry Buehler

Wouldn't you like to see something honest and forthcoming - such as:

Dear customers,
    We want you to know that we have made significat progress on solving the "splash screen hang."
    We hope to issue a fix within nnn weeks.

or

Dear Customers,
    We have to admit that we don't have a clue as to why some of you have the "splash screen hang."
    We will work to ensure that it will not occur in LuminarAI.
    Remember, you can try the trial version before puchasing.
    If you have pre-ordered LuminarAI and you have problems after you receive it, we will gladly issue a refund.

or

Dear Customers,
    We have decided to blow off Luminar 4 and focus on LuminarAI.  Sorry, tough darts, but we are doing the profitable thing.

Please sign in to leave a comment.