Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Arthur McFarlane

just to add to above - got so fed up i used second activation code now is at least working for single image mode have not dared try in PS yet - but my comments still stand about using my activation code - found another part of site saying e-mail to get activation code ( too late!)  now - will let you sort this mess out and then can sort out activation issues after.

Comment actions Permalink
    Alexandre Alex

Hello, i have the same problem with the version 4.3

4.2 is OK on my computer, thanks JT for the file.

Bernhard Lueftinger

@ JT and Charles Green: thank you. Ver. 4.2 works again.
    Now I will wait till Skylum brings a working 4.3 info.

Helga Rowles

Hi Member -  I've checked your license, and our system shows that you still have one activation left. If something goes wrong - we will be able to reset your license counter back to zero. You can also do it in your Skylum account under My software > Manage my license > Reset all licenses.

David Quillman

You put this in your instructions... but you never told us how to get our activation key back. Luminar 4.3 is asking for my key. I found my old in an email and it doesn't work. PLEASE HELP. Thank you

"Find the folder “Luminar 4” and rename it to "Luminar 4 old". Please note that this folder contains your license for Luminar 4, as well as your Custom and downloaded Looks. You will be later to access them later if necessary.

Marc Marc

I just bought Luminar 4 and it hangs in the loading screen after installation.
    I see Only "Luminar 4 Version 74.3.0 (6175) and the awards and the mountains but nothing more, the software does not Open.

Already have Uninstall Luminar and delete registrations with CCleaner and by hand. Appdata folder with Luminar as well as installation path was also cleaned up without improvement. Windows 10 Pro (x64) is fresh this all Frameworks (All in One Runtime) Windows Defender was also turned off and on again, Drivers are all reinstalled .

I'm a little frustrated. I buy a version and it doesn't work. Please Help

Quick suggestion for Marc.

If you have Avast - uninstall it (I found it conflicted with Luminar on m system - now running Bitdefender trial version which doesn't).

Uninstall Luminar 4. Delete the Catalouge file (normally in your Pictures Folder). Download the Luminar 4.3 offline installer (mentioned in a previous post - 4.3 not 4 .2). Install Luminar 4.3 as Administrator. Once installed always run Luminar 4.3 as Administrator.

Worked for me when I had same problem.

Good luck !

Marcel Overkleeft

I finally got it working again. It seems the update cannot migrate the catalog. So what I did was copying the complete catalog to an external disk (you might use a usb stick). and then deleted the complete thing from my HDD. Then followed the steps, as stated in previous posts (deleting and cleaning register etc.) Then I installed the 4.3. It created a new catalog. After that, it runs smoothly. 

Then I closed the application and copied the previous catalog back into the new created catalog but .... VERY IMPORTANT, DO NOT COPY the old luminar4catalog file!!!  

Your system asks you if you want to overwrite some files, say "yes" but again, do not copy the old luminar4catalog file back.

After that, I started luminar 4.3 and it works! With the old catalog!!

William Brooks

Luminar 4.3 - what a disaster!!!  I've spent ~ 5-6 hours trying to make it work and following step by step all the suggested fixes on the Luminar community page - none worked. Finally I reverted back to version 4.2 which appears to be stable.  I've owned every version of Luminar (including Flex) since it became available for Windows, and recommended it many, many times.

I think Skylum needs to fix this quickly.

Eric Adauto

I think it has to do with the filters and how database was migrated, if I open images that were already edited in older version (coming from 3 to 4.2 to 4.3) it crashes. Why don't you set a link to downgrade back to 4.2??? It is not possible to be stuck without having the chance to keep working with it.

Steve Daggar

likewise tried all of the suggestions, still not working with 4.3. 4.2 working ok

Kate Williams

@David, there was a typo in your activation email. It was fixed, and we've emailed you your credentials. 

@Eric, here's the link to revert back to 4.2.0: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_420.exe 

You may need to create a backup copy of your current catalog first and follow the instructions outlined here after 4.2.0 is installed. 

As far as the crashes are concerned, does it happen only with the previously edited images or with the new uploads too? 

Please please send us event logs as well as the additional info we've requested via email:

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your reply to your support request. 

Here is the video tutorial on how to collect logshttps://www.loom.com/share/d7d8325cb83b4539a0a2dae3ebf286f6 

Bruno F.W. Ristl, Bakk.phil.

4.3.0 still not working 
    4.2.0 working ok

Daniel Hines
    I have tried most of them, but it still hangs. Sometimes when i have reinstalled it, it doesn't show up in All Programmes as though it failed to install.

However some good news: I noticed you posted a link on your support pages to take me back to the previous version which I have now done. So the programme is up and running which is wonderful for me. I keep getting a pop up telling me an update is available, which for the present I am ignoring and staying with version 2. I will keep an eye out for when the hanging problem is sorted and then try again to update.
    Marco Callegari

Me too on Win10 latest update got the hang on the splash screen of latest Luminar.

It was something like the hang we had in a previous update.

Renamed my catalog let me start the app, but then it crashed again at the second start.

As someone stated, launching it as Administrator let the app running.

Unfortunately I opened my original catalog, it was updated, but no more custom settings on my previous works... I've lost everything... I can survive, as I'm not using Luminar for work, but it's the second time I've to start from scratch with the library...

On Mac it seems working, but I've no images in my catalog there... Actually I'm doing everything on windows (as I do my 3d renders there...).

I hope for a fix, and I hope my catalog could be resume my custom settings....

Marco Callegari

mmm wait... I found on the right Library panel something related to my old library. I can see the setting there. It's a bit slow but at least I've everything (for now).

Always as Administrator

Gordon Hendry

Like most of you I get the hanging splash screen.  I've tried three sets of instructions from tech support, all with the same end result - a hanging splash screen.  It did actually open once, but after I closed that one down it reverted to the hanging splash screen.

I'm going back, hopefully, to version 4.2; I've had enough frustration to last me a long time!

Robin Muir

Just like Gordon Hendry, above, I have tried several suggested solutions and none of them worked. 4.3 opened once, then went back to the hanging failure mode. Luckily, the instructions for reverting to 4.2 work and I have a perfectly working program now. I will not be trying any other solutions as I have wasted more than enough time. I suggest anyone with a stable copy of 4.2 does not bother to 'upgrade' to 4.3 until Skylum provide a patch and sort this out.

Like everyone on Windows, hang on start screen, nothing happen as a plugin on Photoshop, but working well after update on Mac. On Windows, I've to return back to 4.2. Hopefully, Skylum will fix the problem soon

Robin Muir

Marco Callegari - Tried that, didn't work.

Marco Callegari

Robin Muir,

as I told before, I was able to start Luminar 4.3 only as Administrator.
    Creating the Folder as described in that post let me start Luminar as user.
    So I went to C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local

Then I created a folder named  TileDataLayer

Opened it and inside I created another folder named Database.

The funny thing is I didn't found any file after starting Luminar, so I don't know what's the use of that folder.
    Of course, my Luminar seems to work now.

Norbert Froeschl

Funny thing. I just realized that behind the splash screen there was a dialog box with the catalog migration notice and the OK button. But it was behind the splash screen. 

But I also created that magic folder.

Marco Callegari

I got that popup when I removed the newly created catalog and I opened my old one. But after migrating, I still had the hangs. So I'm not sure it was that.

Someone's telling that the folder works just for a day... tomorrow I'll check to see if my Luminar still hangs or not.

It may just be me but having got 4.3 up and running I tried to use the sky replacement tool but it didn't work very well (to say the least). Tried it on another photo - same problem. Then thought that enough was enough so reverted back to 4.2. All working well again now.

Marco Callegari

nah, mine is hanging again.
    I can use it only as administrator.

Marco Callegari

the sky replacement seems okay for me

Luiz Paulo

Tried it all to no avail... even using administrator rights. The folder thing works for some hours and then nothing, freezes at open screen. I even uninstalled my 1080Ti to avoid any video drivers incompatibility and running with the embedded video card of the CPU (Intel UHD Graphics 630) but nothing so far.

Condering the large number of systems with issues I don't think it is a configuration problem but rather a use rights (creating or moving folder / files). I would bet on this to begin my search. Another clue for it is that some os us (not me) were able to start using Administrator rights, even if it does not work for long.

Hope we can find the issue asap. For now I will stay with my reverted 4.2 version.

Cheers

Speed  

Steven Jackson

I have two machines, one a laptop w/ 32 GB RAM, a SSD drive, and a fairly high speed Xenon processor, the other a new desktop w/ 64 GB RAM, a SSD HD and a high speed AMD Ryzen processor. Both are running the SAME version of WIN 10 Pro. They are configured the same (as close as I can get them). The laptop updated to ver 4.3 with no problems. The stand alone and PS plugins work, and the speed is OK (not fast, but OK). The desktop exhibited the hangup at the splash screen. Tried all the suggestions - it will boot most times setting the comparability mode to WIN 8, and running as admin. - but it runs like crap, and slowly. The PS plugin will not load (but it wouldn't in ver 4.2 either). I have full backups of both versions (including the old & new catalogs) and have been trying various "fixes" with no luck. If I can identify what is different between the 2 systems, that may provide a clue. I have eliminated all AV and anti-malware software, firewall, etc. I have not selectively eliminated startup services, but I may if I have time to waste.  This software needs a fix from Skylum.

Miguel Fernandes

Steven, I would think about the videocard. The situation seems to me to point out how the catalog management system and other functions interact with the GPU, in search of better performance. I think the issue is in that direction. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.