Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Manfred Hoss

It is a skylum Lumninar problem, no Windows Update Problem. Other programs function correctly.

Comment actions Permalink
    Barry Buehler

Yes, but the problem apparently is often manifest after a Windows upgrade.  Of course, it is Skylum's problem, otherwise we would be posting in a Windows forum wouldn't we.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

New day, new 'session' (after turning off PC for a night), then try testing rerun Luminar4 as usual, now run without issues. I don't have to run it as administrator.

Kirk Osborn

We are glad to hear that everything is alright now.

If you encounter any issues in the future, please contact us via https://skylum.com/support so we could help you as quickly as possible.

Barry Buehler

Setiawan - Did you reboot after the upgrade?  If not, that could be why it didn't work at first.  That's not necessary with some installs, but it is with others.  It never hurts.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

Hi Barry, already did upgrade several days ago... and previously still working ok..., even no need to restart.

Just yesterday, problem appear.

Manfred Hoss

It's just bad software :(

Barry Buehler

Why is this old thread still active?  Dumb marketing. 

• The problem was solved for most of us with the latest update.
    • The solution given by Skylum at the start of the tread is wrong and was superceded.
    • New problems after the update should be in a new thread to avoid confusion.

Just plain dumb on Skylums part to have a thread approaching infinite length most of which is OBE.

Gary Hutchings

As an Enterprise level Tech support Engineer/Software developer.  To make your customers jump through these kinds of hoops to make up for your companies inability to code properly is nearly criminal. Looks like your tech notes only wasted their time. They already wasted their money on your product. 

**I was able to get a message directly to the CEO of this company. THEY DON"T CARE!!**

I still use your program, BECAUSE I CAN MAKE IT WORK. No help from your tech notes and scripted response.. **Just bought a new copy of Photoshop though**

Same thing happened to Symantec, I told them to their faces what would happen years ago.  "Fix your bugs or go out of business. Stop focusing on features over bug fixes"

Same thing, you focus on new versions and new features. Your priority is new sales, over fixing bugs. 

Your company only cares about profit, you will be out of business if you don't change.  

*** For those suffering from uncaring support, if the program manages to come up at all for you one time, set everything to internal drives.  Don't set your export path to an external drive.  Move your catalog to another location(Internal Drive Only) and run through applying admin permissions to all folders and sub-folders.******

Austin Miller

Hello Gary. Please note that we are doing our best to fix the issues as soon as they appear. Indeed, sometimes it takes much more time than expected. The reason for it is that the issue might be more complicated and needs more time to get fixed. However, the hang on the splash screen issue was already fixed with the latest Luminar 4 update.

Glenn Nosworthy

Got Luminar to work (again), this time by doing a complete reset of Windows 10 (and installing most apps from scratch). Other (more minor) things had become flaky on my system following the most recent update (20H2) - this was the only app that had actually stopped working (stuck on splash). Anyway, it seems to be good at the moment. But there is something deadly in those OS updates when it comes to Luminar...  

Roy Blackwell

@Glenn Nosworthy: I have updated two of my three Windows 10 machines to 20H2 and have had no issues with Luminar 4.3, Aurora HDR 2019, Photolemur or Air Magic.

Gary Hutchings

Austin Miller   No, you are wrong. I know your job better than you do.  When all you do is send form letters, that say nothing at all, you prove my point.   When you have known issues that span versions, and you are working on selling the next version, you are being greedy, not being a functional software company.  

How do the people that are still experiencing this serious issue feel about you being so dismissive? "Oh we fixed that problem" as people cry in this thread "It is not fixed"

Just like when I message your team directly, you don't even read what I say before you respond. If you do, you certainly don't understand it. 

Your excuses change nothing about what I point out about your support.  I messaged your CEO directly and got no response, that says it all.

I am enough of a software development and software support expert that I would gladly debate your whole team publicly. 

You pretend to care by sending form letters, then you continue to do the same lame, greedy, uncaring work. 

If any company deserves to go out of business, it is Skylum 100% 

I am an expert in these matter far beyond your own experience, every time you try to respond to me, I just call you out farther.  

Barry Buehler

Hutchings:  It is not your job to fix Skylum.  Ask for a refund and go away, so most of us can enjoy Luminar 4.3.

What do you hope to gain by your screeds?  We know you are soooo smart and knowledgeable.  Leave it at that.

Gary Hutchings

Barry Buehler   I will get right on that, after I have a sever brain injury and begin to let others tell me what to do.  Like I care what a stain like you thinks.  Not your job to be concerned with my motivations.  I see money is where your moral compass points. You are soooooo rude and ignorant, leave it at that.    Is this Skylum's troll account, where they say nasty stuff to people in order to get a response they can use for justification to ban the truth?  Don't worry, there is a full video about these experiences in the works..  I have been considered a social media influence for many years :D    I am trying to make sure that anyone thinking of buying this software, knows the level of business standards they will be dealing with.  

Barry Buehler

ooooooooooooo.  Scarey. 

I rely on W.S. 

"Told by an *****, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing."

Gary Hutchings

Barry Buehler  Scary?  Of what?  Are you three? 

I know your type, just because it is is not a problem for you, then it shouldn't be even talked about when a problem for others. 

Not the way it works.

Being a suck up will not get you free software. Well, it might, free buggy software..  You are dismissed. 

There is no value in conversation with you, so just stop talking AT me .. 

Barry Buehler

Here's lookin' at youuuu kid.  Some folks are really fun to tweak for a response.

Skylum is great!  Best ever.  I never have a moments triouble with their software.

I just hope my photos keep winning competitions and complements.

Glenn Nosworthy

Barry, just because you want to be a cheerleader for Skylum ("Skylum is great! Best ever") doesn't mean that the rest of us have to be. You say you've "never had a moment's trouble with their software" -- good for you. But the many frustrated posts in this thread show that there are vastly different experiences out there from yours, and you don't get to dismiss them. I like Luminar (a lot), but when it works. Like many others, I've spent a lot of my time trying to make it work. So you (who have been fortunate to have no issues) and Skylum need to understand why others here might be frustrated over their experiences, especially when we receive frequent marketing about a new version of the product when we're struggling with the 'old' one.  

Barry Buehler

Glenn Nosworthy ;  I was being facetious.  There was a know-it-all pretender who I enjoyed tweaking.  I realize there were/are problems, but since the initial "fix." we don't have a handle on how widespread any new problems are.  If you go back to posts after update 4.3 (6886?) many reported their problems fixed and there are few new complaints.  I know it is frustrating to buy a program and have it fail, but Skylum posted a link where you can ask for a refund.  That, to me, is a very satisfactory solution.  Nobody asked us to spend our time trying to solve Skylum(s) problems.  Take the money and run.

Gary Hutchings

Barry Buehler You are a troll 100%, you admitted it above. No matter what you say.     "Pretender"?  Let's see your resume boy.   Being slow, you missed the fact that people are still having issues. Some have had to do a complete nuke and pave of Windows to alleviate the problem. It is more than just one tech issue. Their Database corrupts easily. Their software can't seem to talk to external drives with consistency, and when the drive sleeps, the software locks when trying to export.  Support sucks. I would know a thing or two about that one..  No one asked you for anything. I don't care what your child like judgment is on me speaking the truth and saving others the pain. One of two things will happen. 1. Enough people will hold Skylum accountable for multiple issues with existing software.  2. They just keep taking money, not fixing long standing issues and should be considered a criminal organization. You have no idea what you are talking about, I bet you rant at people here because no one wants to be around you in real life..  

Barry Buehler

Philippe Carlier

one more time ... 

after a few weeks, luminar start working.

try to repair, uninstall, install , uninstall !!

Mike Schwitalla

I don't like to believe it, but the problem still exists in April 2021 with version 4.3.3 (7895) on Windows 10.

Gary Hutchings

Mike Schwitalla Do you export images to an external drive? Or store the Luminar Cat on an external drive?  Luminar dose poorly when it comes to remembering paths. It seems to get hung real easy when paths in the app are pointing to extremals. I just built a $1000+ computer, fresh install of Win10 Pro, and the program still losses export paths. 32Gigs of ram 125watt Gen 10 processer, Nvida 1030 Graphics, it is still slow to process. I have not had the hung on boot screen since I moved all connections to internal drives. I copy files to the external for storage. Bought a big internal specifically because I invested money in this program.  

Please sign in to leave a comment.