Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Michael Keay

Just purchased Luminar and spent the day installing and uninstalling :-(  Hard to work out what actually is causing the hang. Did all the usual  steps in this thread and it  worked eventually by using win 8 compatibility mode. Then suddenly the dreaded hang again.  Seems they have been working on this for 2 months - but no definitive fix?  Trying 4.2.0.577 as last resort.  Is the support supposed to be 24/7 btw - or is that just for the ads?

Update: 4.2 seems to work OK and stably but ironically keeps nagging about the update with improved performance and convenience. Not amused :-(

Comment actions Permalink
    Markus Kaiser

Auch ich habe vor einigen Tagen - leider - ein Update auf die aktuelle Version gemacht.

Heute wollte ich das Programm wieder benutzen und siehe da - nichts geht mehr.

Nach dem Start erscheint nur das Titelbild und Schluss. Auch über PhotoShop ist keine Funktion mehr möglich. Da passiert nichts.

Ich habe mehrfach versucht, das Programm zu deinstallieren und die "gekaufte Version 4.2" auf zu spielen, jedoch auch dies ist vergebens, da automatisch auf die aktuelle Version upgedatet wird.

Meine Rechnerleistung ist mehr als ausreichend und ist daher sicherlich kein Grund.
    Festplatte mehr als 300 GB frei, 32 MB RAM, Auslagerungsdatei bis 50000.

Hat jemand eine Lösungsansatz gefunden oder hat Skylum schon einmal etwas verlauten lassen, wann und wie das Problem mit einem Update behoben wird?

Für eine Kaufsoftware ist dies kein guter Zug eines Herstellers...

Victoria Grace

Hallo Markus,

Es tut mir Leid, dass Sie mit diesem Problem konfrontiert sind.

Ich habe gerade Ihre Support Anfrage in unserem Inbox gefunden und antworte bald darauf. Danke für Ihre Geduld!

Michael Keay

So has anyone had a solution from Skylum after submitting crash logs etc?  Other than the " try turning off AV and windows firewall or run in win 8 compatibility mode" ? 

I purchased two seats / licences for home PC and laptop. Both machines run same version of windows and both have same FW and AV (Avast) .  It works on the laptop but not the home PC. Weird eh? I am running 4.2 until they sort it. 

Christian Perret

As I discovered the annoyance as soon as I disconnected the external monitor on my laptop, the fix was pretty simple : just force the application to use the accelerated GPU (nVidia) instead of the integrated one.

HTH

Barry Buehler

Michael Keay - Do you recall how Windows 10 was installed on each machine?  Upgrade of earlier version or a clean install.  Are you using a GPU with Luminar?

The post by Christian Perret is also interesting.  Could the problems be related to use/non-use of a GPU?

Since Skylum appears incapable of solving the problem, posters should give their hardware configuration, Windows version, and Luminar setup.  Maybe we users can help.  I have been lucky so far - fingers still crossed.

Windows 10 - version just before 2004, Luminar using nVidia GPU, stock DELL with i7, Apps and data on separate SSDs.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

Luminar 4.3 runs without issue on my old desktop i950

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
    Mainboard: Intel DX58SO2 Extreme Series*1
    Video Card: ATI Radeon RX470 4GB Series (Digital Alliance DA DXRX 470 OC 4GB)
    RAM: 12GB
    *1 Yes, this is the old mainboard - still PCIe2 - so my ATI Radeon RX470, which actually made for PCIe3, might not yet running full power.

But, hangs on my ASUS ROG:
    ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
    Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 27.20.100.8425)
    Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM
    RAM: 16GB
    Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

Right now ASUS ROG uses Luminar 4.2, and I haven't think of experimenting with it again... but if GPU is the issue... I'm wondering now...

Yes, I can set the application to run whether with Integrated Graphics Card (in this case Intel Graphics), or Nvidia.

Roy Blackwell

Old Desktop: Windows 10 v2004, 8GB RAM, Standard Hard Drive, AMD Processor, Nvidia GeForce GT740

Works:
    Aurora HDR 2019
    Luminar 3.2
    Luminar Flex 1.1
    Air Magic
    Photolemur
    Topaz Studio 2
    Topaz Mask AI
    Topaz Sharpen AI
    Topaz DeNoise AI
    Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe Lightroom
    Photoscape X
    Paint.Net
    and every other piece of software I have installed.

Does Not Work:
    Luminar 4.3 (all previous 4x versions worked)
    Update: fixed issue with not loading by replacing the libcef.dll in the Luminar folder with one from my Nvidia graphics card folder.

Note: Luminar 4.3 is working on my Dell laptop (Win10 v2004, Intel I7, 32GB Ram, Integrated Graphics, SSD) and Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Win10 v2004, Intel I7, 8GB Ram, Integrated Graphics, SSD)

Michael Keay

Hi

Office PC  (6.3 doesn't work) was an upgrade from Win 7 home to Win 10 Pro (via win 10 home I think) 

Laptop (6.3 works)  was upgraded from win 10 home to win 10 pro

Office PC (6.3 doesn't work)  is 

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 8700K @ 3.70GHz 33 °C
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
    RAM
    32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1500MHz (15-17-17-35)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming-CF (U3E1) 34 °C
    Graphics
    PL3490WQ (3440x1440@29Hz)
    SyncMaster (1920x1200@59Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 41 °C

Realtek High Definition Audio

I have frigged around with the Nvidia settings without success but am going to pop in an alt graphics card to be sure - as I thought it must be a gpu issue

UPDATE to Above:  I can get it to launch 80% of the time when it is set to Win 8 compatibility although the splash screen seems to hang around for an unusually long time. 

On the 20% of the time it fails to launch I kill the process then right click my desktop luminar icon and run the compatibility trouble shooter from the context menu (although the exe is already set to win8)  The troubleshooter runs and suggests win8 and when I click the Test Program box it will launch OK. Weird eh?  Next few times it will generally launch OK directly from the desktop. Then I repeat the above palaver. 

Share my pain 

https://youtu.be/SHwDb2b7LXc

Steve Daggar

for me, my Windows10 was an upgrade from 7 & I had also switched Windows to different SSD drives twice via cloning & with new pc. So I think my Windows installation had been running without reinstall/reset for close to 10years with different hardware configurations and had become very bloated. I just pulled the SSD with windows10 out of old dead machine and used it in new in theory faster pc a few months ago. As well as Luminar 4.3 not starting, I was also seeing other issues, Luminar 4.2 was taking up to 3mins to launch, Topaz Impression was taking 1min to launch & I was generally not seeing the snappy performance I expected from the new machine. So I finally bit the bullet this weekend and did a reset of windows10. One thing obvious from the list of previously installed software, my system was bloated with a lot of software that I didnt really need & I havent reinstalled at least 3/4 of it. 

Once I had Lightroom & PS reinstalled I gave Luminar 4.3 another go & it installed and launched fine & fast. Topaz Impression also  now launches instantly. Moral of the story, Windows needs a reinstall or at least a reset every now and then. 

J B

same problem.

Just tried everything and still crash on splash screen.

(by the way, I stillnot tried the flight mode instructions - but not a solution).

I have no more time to spend on this crashing Luminar 4. 

It may be kind from Skylum, to quickly (no it is about +3 months of crashes) to solve this problem. Or think about refunding.

Currently, I am still using Luminar 3 - wich is working fine - until the quality of the software improves.

... this does not make me want to buy Luminar AI.

J B

Thank you for your prompt response.

True, I can still make an effort to install version 4.2 I will try later.

(Refunding  has been thought - but it's seems a bit extreme for now)

It's so frustrating software that crashes, I hope the next version of Luminar 4.x, without start-up crash, arrives very soon ...

Barry Buehler

What happens if you disable internet when starting L4 ?

Not flight mode, just disable internet.

Michael Keay

So coukd you just create a firewall rule to stop liminar4.exe connecting to Internet- anyone tried that?

Glenn Nosworthy

Well - it was too good to be true. After a few normal uses of Luminar I'm back to a stuck splash screen. Even using flight mode can't get me past it. Strange (and disappointing). 

Glenn Nosworthy

Well, I seem to have got everything to work again (I use the Luminar 4 plugin in Photoshop 2020). I do it starting Bridge and Photoshop as an Administrator. Standalone app also seems to work with that. I've made Administrator start a permanent setting for all three apps (Luminar 4, Bridge, and PS). As a result, it seems I am able to use Luminar 4.3 yet again... I hope it stays that way this time! 

Marcel Morel

Mein Weg, um Luminar 4.3 zu benutzen: (standalone und als Plugin (r L(ghtroom).

Wenn Luminar beim Splash Screen hängt:

1. Taskmanager starten (Ctrl+Alt+Del) Klick auf Taskmanager

2. Rechtsklick auf Luminar 4

3. Klick auf Wechsel zu Details

4. Rechtsklick auf Luminar4.exe

5. Priorität auf Realtime setzen

Anmerkung: Eventuell müssen für Punkt 6 die Punkte 1-4 wiederholt werden  

6. Prozess-Struktur beenden (nicht nur den Task)

Ich hoffe, es hilft auch bei Euch

MfG
    Marcel

Glenn Nosworthy

Marcel, that also works for me. Thank you. There is a warning that changing the priority to 'real time' may cause system instability. Is this a concern?

Marcel Morel

@Glenn:

I did not had /haveany problems  in the last few days, did you?

Glenn Nosworthy

Marcel, your suggestion works great for the standalone app, but it I sometimes still had problems with the PS plug-in. I've kept it but I'm also now running Photoshop as administrator and all is working now. I'm too superstitious to test different combinations now. :-) Thanks again for your help.  

Marcel Pignole

I wanted to install the trial version to test Luminar but like you, unable to launch the software. Blocked at splashscreen.
    I have tried all the suggestions but none work for me. It's really not very serious and Adobe still has a bright future ahead of them.

Roy,

What version of libcef.dll are you using?  Sounds like the old DLL hell issue.

Barry Buehler

different fixes being found.  I have version 75.1.14.0 and all is good.

So now we have splash screen hangs due to:

• new version of libcef.dll
    • something to do witl L4 communicating on startup with SKYLUM via the net.

They could be related.  Apparently, libcef.dll has to do with embedding a chromium based browser within an application.
    I hope SKYLUM monitors this thread.  There might be some useful stuff in these recent posts.

Roy Blackwell

Another possible fix for some as posted by a Skylum person:

Issue: opening splash screen requesting connection to internet

-------------------

I have checked your hosts file and it is modified.

Please try resetting your hosts file back to the default value: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/972034/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default

Here is the video tutorial that may also be helpful: https://www.loom.com/share/0cf4050f5e3a4551880bbd0eb2ea0684

-------------------

Post Link:
    https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009743000/comments/360002211459

Glenn Nosworthy

Looks like we're trying to address two different issues. I believe Roy is talking about a problem wherein the splash screen appears then disappears without L4 loading. Others of us are having the splash just sit there stuck without the app loading ... and we're forced to end the process to get rid of it. I suspect Roy's hosts file fix only deals with the first problem. 

Michael Keay

Does anyone have this problem and is NOT running nVidia graphics?

Marcel Morel

What now: lbcef or libcef?

Barry Buehler

hosts file is yet another thing related to the internet.

Roy Blackwell

Marcel Morel: it is libcef.dll

Erhard Markscheffel

It is all very strange:

- in summer I updated from Windows 10 version 1909 to 2004
    - at that time Luminar 4.2 was actual and ran without problems

- then came the update to Luminar 4.3
    - after the update Luminar hung in the splash screen on my system

Since I read a lot about problems with the 2004 version of Win 10, I downgraded my system

- for this purpose I have restored a system image of Win 10 version 1909

- then I have updated Luminar 4.2. to 4.3

- with the result that now Luminar 4.3 works without problems

Well, today I started again the update from Win 10 version 1909 to 2004:

- and wtf, after the update from 1909 to 2004 Luminar 4.3 runs without problems???

I give up now. I'm sure I spent at least 10 hours, rather more, solving the problem.

Compared to the price of Luminar 4, a bad hourly wage to help Skylum with their homework!

Please sign in to leave a comment.