Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Answered

Comments

475 comments

Steve Daggar

my Luminar 4.3 was working fine after I reset windows10 until I installed Topaz Detail 3. It was installed before I reset Windows, but only just reinstalled today & after that Luminar would launch stand alone, but not as photoshop plugin. I uninstalled Topaz Detail, now Luminar 4.3 working fine again.  I have Topaz AI which supposedly superseded Detail, but I just liked a couple of the presets under Detail that were not carried over to Topaz AI, but I can live without them

Comment actions Permalink
    Loïc Deschamps

hi

i will try to change libcef.dll (i put the version 73) and the problem persist. 

My video card is Nvidia geforce

Roy Blackwell

loic perrigaud: I replaced the following three DLL files:
    libcef.dll
    libEGL.dll
    iibGLESv2.dll

There are a total of six DLLs that start with 'lib' but the above three are the ones I replaced on my machine. Also, note that my issue was not a hanging splash screen but the splash screen disappearing without Luminar 4.3 starting. 

William Brooks

Michael Keay - I'm running a Radeon graphics card and have the same problem.

As has been pointed out, the issue appears to have occurred with the latest Windows update. 

My guess is that most (if not all) of Skylum's programming talent has been occupied with Luminar AI.

Xiao Ho

How do you uninstall every part of the program to do a clean install?

The previous version (4.1) worked just fine. 4.3 doesn't work at all. Yet, when I uninstalled that and installed 4.2 using the link, the same problem occurs - I suspect it's because something from 4.3 was left behind.

Running Windows 7 here.

Roy Blackwell

William Brooks: It may well be but I personally would be surprised if the Windows 10 v2004 update is at the root of this issue. I have three machines (AMD desktop, i7 Dell laptop and a i7 Surface Pro 3)  all running Windows 10 v2004 without issue with Luminar 4.3.

Don Evans Photography

Xiao Ho  I think the most common reason is probably Step 4 (below) during the uninstall/install process.  Check to ensure that this is done.

If this isn't the cause of your issue, then I'm not sure what it may be.

4. Type %appdata% in Search (folder Roaming should open).

Find the folder “Luminar 4” and rename it to "Luminar 4 old". Please note that this folder contains your license for Luminar 4, as well as your Custom and downloaded Looks. You will be later to access them later if necessary.

5. Go to Pictures folder and rename the folder called "Luminar 4 Catalog" (if you have your Catalog anywhere else, find it and rename it to "Luminar 4 Catalog old").

Open the folder and locate the file with .luminar file extension. Change the name of this file to "Luminar 4 Catalog old" as well.

Barry Buehler

"loic perrigaud: I replaced the following three DLL files:"

Did anything good happen ?

Roy Blackwell

Barry Buehler: Yes, on my desktop machine where I had the issue of Lumina 4.3 not launching, it launched and I am able to process photos with it.

Xiao Ho

Just did everything again, strictly as per the instructions.

It still doesn't work - not even the splash screen shows up.

Very disappointing not to have a solution yet, after three months. I'd be happy enough just to be able to go back to 4.1, which was working perfectly for me (apart from being slow). As it is, I've basically shelled out a big chunk of money for software which doesn't work.

Skylum needs to put some effort into fixing their product and treating their existing customers and early adopters right, rather than putting out endless ads for Luminar AI, which, going on what's happened with Luminar 4, none of us are going to buy, and will discourage anyone else from buying.

Helga Hufflepuff

Dear Xiao Ho,

We are terribly sorry for the issues you encountered with 4.3.0. I just wanted to let you know that our development team is still working on this issue, so I can assure you that we did not forget about it. This turned out to be more complicated problem, thus it takes more time than we expected to fix. Of course, we will keep everyone updated once the ultimate solution is found. I made sure to reach you via e-mail to see if we can assist you to get Luminar up and running. 

Even though we announced Luminar AI, we did not stop supporting and improving Luminar 4. I do understand your frustration about this problem and we will do our best to resolve it. Thank you very much for your cooperation and patience on this matter.

Manfred Hoss

I think this is not true, you want push Luminar AI, and in few month LuminarAI+..... I have Luminar 3 and Luminar 4, but never buy AI. Do you have enough manpower to solve this main issue and develope AI? I think no...because time to solve is much too long!

Daniel Hines

I for one wont be updating to the AI version, Skylum have lost my trust and I wont be investing any more money in them.

Barry Buehler

As always, stonewalling is worse than giving out bad news.  It's like the airlines telling you there will be a short delay.  You know it's B.S.

If they haven't made progress- tell us

If they have - tell us what.

Terrible customer relations.  I works in the short term, but it does irreparable damage to reputation.

p.s. I am one of the lucky users, but I feel for those with problems.

Jared Ikeda

I've also given up on Skylum.  Won't be purchasing anything from them anymore.

Steven Webb

Mine won't run either. I installed 4.03.6175, used it ONE TIME, and now it won't run again. All I get is the splash screen and then it shuts down.

I've looked at the moderator's suggestions and also read many of the comments in this thread. And I'm sorry but all the hoops the Skylum people want us to jump through to try to get THEIR SOFTWARE WHICH WE PAID FOR to work is just total B.S. I'm not going to do it. I have other software I can use that ACTUALLY WORKS. Skylum's suggestions just sound too damn much like all the crap many of us went through in the early 2000's to try to get some software to run. These days with other great choices out there it simply is not worth all the hassle to try to figure out for them why their software isn't working.

Skylum, figure this out and get back to us.

Mike Nogawd

I have got the emails and Instagram ads about AI, which they are getting chewed out in the comments section from Luminar 4 users in our exact position.  Obviously this might and should scare off new buyers for AI. 

How did they think that this would be a good idea?  What a PR nightmare and embarrassment for the company.  Alienating your core base of users and hurting sales for a newly developed product.  Brilliant, really.

Roy Blackwell

Mike Nogawd: The 30000 'first to preorder' sale is nearly sold out so I do not believe their sales have been significantly impacted. How do I know this? I received an email  the other day stating only 5000 spots were left. So, at this point in time over 25000 photo enthusiasts have preordered Luminar AI, I being one of them. I also joined the Luminar AI Insiders group (open to anyone who preorders)  and I can tell you that over 12000 photographers from all over the globe are there, young and old; male and female, amateurs, and professionals. There is no nightmare.

This is a support forum and obviously attracts those that have issues with the software and some of these issues are serious, such as the point of this thread. That said, there is a much larger number of users not having any issues or only minor performance ones.

Alexander Tuma

@roy. That is all well and good. I also pre-ordered the AI. But for more than 2 months a lot of Windoes 10 users (including me) have had the same problem. And of course when you've bought software, you want it to work too. All of the various suggestions made by the support have failed. I have really invested many hours of my life here to find a solution and many others too. At least the support should be so far that people do not need to try things out in the knowledge that they do not work or are abstruse such as. Deactivate firewall and virus protection. It is clearly a software error that occurs with certain Windows 10 versions and the problem should not actually be solved. If only a few of the series cars that are sold are defective, the seller and not the buyer is responsible ...

Glenn Nosworthy

ROY:  Or it could be the age-old marketing trick, leading customers to believe that 1) the product is so popular everyone is buying it and 2) there are only a few left on the shelf so you better get your own now. I wouldn't be so skeptical if they had put a date deadline on the pre-orders (e.g., Sept 30) rather than a quota which cannot be verified. I, for one, have a hard time believing that almost 30,000 people have pre-ordered L-AI given that it's a somewhat niche product (albeit a good one when it works); it's not Photoshop. I didn't pre-order myself because I haven't seen enough information about it to convince me that it's what I want; I've been burned before by products that get too simplified (in order to appeal to a broader base) that they lose some important functionality.

As for this forum just attracting people with complaints, don't be so sure. Word is out. I first became aware of this problem on DPreview (a VERY popular photography website) when they posted the announcement of Luminar AI. A lot of people jumped in and said they were having problems with the current version. I was surprised by all the frustration being expressed because Luminar was working just fine for me at the time. Then the frozen-splash problem caught up to me a couple of weeks later. People out there know that this product is facing difficulties at the moment -- it's not just us. 

Anyway, I've got it to work for me again (by starting it with admin privileges) and I'm going to hold off on L-AI until I see how that goes. Once burned, twice shy...    

Philippe Carlier

Hello,
    There is a lot of advertising on Facebook right now for Luminar AI.

Do not hesitate to request the patch for 4.3 by putting a link to this discussion thread.
    Setiawan Kartawidjaja

Currently my decision of whether preordering Luminar AI or not is more concerned with the recent situation due to pandemic... need to be more careful with my spending. Right now haven't think about it.

I already have good impression with Luminar 4.3 or 4.2 but really hoping like everyone is, an update.

Roy Blackwell

Saw this user's solution to his "Luminar 4.3 hang at splash screen." Posting a link here in case it can help someone else:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009620939

I sure hope Skylum releases an update soon that resolves this once and for all. Customers should not have to jump through all these hoops to get Luminar to launch properly.

EM

NO!!!!: completely disabling the protection of a productive operating system by a normal user, even for seconds or minutes, is like Russian Roulette.

Imho not recommended to solve the startup problems of Luminar 4.3 customers!

The users of Luminar 4 have paid Skylum. Skylum has to deliver a working product for our money!

Dusan Saiko

Are you seriosuly advising people to turn off the antivirus and kill it's processes? WTF?!

Martin Hyett

I'm having the same trouble as everyone else.  4.3 used to work for me then stopped.  Went back to 4.2 then reupgraded to 4.3 which worked again for a while.  Now it has stopped working again and I can't get it working.  I have tried everything suggested in the initial post but haven't got it working again.  I have sent all the information requested to Skylum as I think it is important that they get as much help as possible.

I wanted to say that all the suggestions Skylum have posted are workarounds and no-one should consider them fixes, and I'm sure Skylum don't.  I would have hoped that Skylum would have provided more feedback by now, even to say that they have replicated the issue (always the essential first stage) or what percentage of users are affected (maybe too sensitive).  I guess they haven't worked out what the issue is. This fix will probably be quite quick, once they know what is causing the problem is.

I have signed up for Luminar AI as I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I do know that I have one month to ask for a refund and I might well do that if I think this is a continuing issue.  I'm sure Skylum are treating this as top priority as they won't survive in the long term if they don't have a reliable product.

Chris Brown

Martin Hyett,

I don't think they are treating it as an urgent issue. Their urgency is getting AI released. And once AI is released, this will take on even less of an urgency. It is really disappointing, frankly. An update that doesn't work and absolutely NO response from Skylum. And if Skylum treats its paying customers like this, just what incentive do I have to hand over more money to them, for a new release! As bloated as Lightroom is, at the very least, their updates work. 

And when someone from Skylum replies, it seems like boilerplate. They are working on it! Yeah, it is Milton down in the basement. But they are working on it

Martin Hyett

You might be right, Chris Brown, but if I were Skylum and had this problem that doesn't have a solution, I would be worried that Luminar AI might have the same problem.  It needs to be fixed for long term confidence.  They will lose a lot of customers if people think their issues won't be addressed.

On the subject of Luminar AI, I find it strange that they say Luminar AI is not an upgrade for Luminar 4, then they say that Luminar 4 will stop being supports, lust like Luminar 3 stopped getting support when the Luminar 4 upgrade came along.  Therefore Luminar AI is effectively an upgrade to Luminar 4. I don't see them announcing Luminar 5!

Daniel Hines

Well chums, i was in the same boat as you, until the other day and Windows did some updating and suddenly Luminar has come back from the dead and works fine and dandy. So, it seems to me that the fault is something to do Windows 10 and Luminar  added together where in the past 2+2= 5... it now makes 4.

Nuno Santos

What version are you on now?

Please sign in to leave a comment.