Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Pinned Answered

Comments

473 comments

J B

Thank you for your prompt response.

True, I can still make an effort to install version 4.2 I will try later.

(Refunding  has been thought - but it's seems a bit extreme for now)

It's so frustrating software that crashes, I hope the next version of Luminar 4.x, without start-up crash, arrives very soon ...

Comment actions Permalink
    Glenn Nosworthy

I think EM, a few posts above, is on to something! Luminar 4.3 had been working fine for me for months until today when I got the dreaded splash screen freeze. I tried a full reinstall as instructed here, etc etc, and nothing worked. 

Then I tried EM's suggestion of going into flight mode before invoking Luminar. That seemed to do the trick! With flight mode on, I can use both the standalone app and the Photoshop plugin as normal. If I'm connected to my router, they do not work. So it has something to do with whatever communications the app is attempting during startup. 

Thanks EM

Barry Buehler

What happens if you disable internet when starting L4 ?

Not flight mode, just disable internet.

EM

Concerning the question Internet access disabled:

Luminar 4.3 normally starts without errors on my Windows 10 PC.

However, when there is high traffic from the PC to the NAS on the connected LAN network, Luminar 4.3 hangs in the splash screen.

My internet access is via the same LAN network and a connected router.

If I switch Windows to flight mode, Luminar 4.3 starts even with high traffic on my network

As a further test I blocked the internet access of my PC in the router and did not switch on the flight mode.

Then Luminar 4.3 hangs during high data traffic.

My thoughts:

- Luminar 4.3 wants to access the internet after startup

- if the internet access is too slow due to high traffic or other circumstances Luminar 4.3 gets stuck in the splash screen

- in flight mode the wireless network connections are switched off

- Luminar 4.3 seems to detect wireless network connections that are disabled and does not even try to access the Internet

So it seems that under certain circumstances or configuration Luminar 4.3 gets locked in a loop = splash screen when accessing the internet.

Michael Keay

So coukd you just create a firewall rule to stop liminar4.exe connecting to Internet- anyone tried that?

Glenn Nosworthy

Michael, I did just as you suggested and it works! Thanks. Set up a rule to prevent Luminar connecting and I was able to start the plugin while maintaining my internet connection for everything else. I'll update if it has any negative side-effects, but so far none. 

I hope the Skylum people will see this and focus their efforts here. 

Glenn Nosworthy

Well - it was too good to be true. After a few normal uses of Luminar I'm back to a stuck splash screen. Even using flight mode can't get me past it. Strange (and disappointing). 

Glenn Nosworthy

Well, I seem to have got everything to work again (I use the Luminar 4 plugin in Photoshop 2020). I do it starting Bridge and Photoshop as an Administrator. Standalone app also seems to work with that. I've made Administrator start a permanent setting for all three apps (Luminar 4, Bridge, and PS). As a result, it seems I am able to use Luminar 4.3 yet again... I hope it stays that way this time! 

Marcel Morel

Mein Weg, um Luminar 4.3 zu benutzen: (standalone und als Plugin (r L(ghtroom).

Wenn Luminar beim Splash Screen hängt:

1. Taskmanager starten (Ctrl+Alt+Del) Klick auf Taskmanager

2. Rechtsklick auf Luminar 4

3. Klick auf Wechsel zu Details

4. Rechtsklick auf Luminar4.exe

5. Priorität auf Realtime setzen

Anmerkung: Eventuell müssen für Punkt 6 die Punkte 1-4 wiederholt werden  

6. Prozess-Struktur beenden (nicht nur den Task)

Ich hoffe, es hilft auch bei Euch

MfG
    Marcel

Glenn Nosworthy

Marcel, that also works for me. Thank you. There is a warning that changing the priority to 'real time' may cause system instability. Is this a concern?

Marcel Morel

@Glenn:

I did not had /haveany problems  in the last few days, did you?

Glenn Nosworthy

Marcel, your suggestion works great for the standalone app, but it I sometimes still had problems with the PS plug-in. I've kept it but I'm also now running Photoshop as administrator and all is working now. I'm too superstitious to test different combinations now. :-) Thanks again for your help.  

Miguel Fernandes

Inkscape, um software de licença livre, lançou recentemente a sua versão 1.0. A versão apresentava pequenos, LIGEIROS, TÊNUES problemas durante a instalação. Duas semanas depois, Inkscape liberou sua versão 1.0.1. Sem alarde, sem "desative o antivirus, troque o nome de seis diretórios, reze três Pais-Nossos e duas Ave-Marias, e dê retorno ao nosso suporte". Não. Silenciosamente, profissionalmente, rapidamente, o time da Inkscape limpou a própria sujeira, bem discretamente, como se nada, nada, nada tivesse ocorrido.

É assim que a gente aprende a confiar num desenvolvedor. Pelo menos um desenvolvedor sério. Porque, como já disse, existem desenvolvedores sérios. E há a Skylum.

Marcel Pignole

I wanted to install the trial version to test Luminar but like you, unable to launch the software. Blocked at splashscreen.
    I have tried all the suggestions but none work for me. It's really not very serious and Adobe still has a bright future ahead of them.

Roy Blackwell

How I solved my issue: splash screen displays for a few seconds and then aborts loading.

I ran the MSinfo report and found this error:

[Windows Error Reporting]

Time Type Details
    9/16/2020 5:28 PM Application Error Faulting application name: Luminar 4.exe, version: 4.3.0.6175, time stamp: 0x5dedc13b
Faulting module name: libcef.dll, version: 75.1.14.0

I searched my hard for libcef.dll and found several in different application folders. I copied libcef.dll (an two related DLLs) from my Nvidia folder and placed in my Luminar 4 folder (backing up the originals). Bingo! Now Luminar 4.3 opens on my desktop computer. 

Roy,

What version of libcef.dll are you using?  Sounds like the old DLL hell issue.

Roy Blackwell

@Member: The libcef.dll in the Luminar folder was version 75.1.14.0. The one I replaced it with from my Nvidia folder was version 73.1.12.0. My desktop is a old machine with an older Nvidia graphics card. I am just happy it fixed the issue of Luminar 4.3 not loading.

Barry Buehler

different fixes being found.  I have version 75.1.14.0 and all is good.

So now we have splash screen hangs due to:

• new version of libcef.dll
    • something to do witl L4 communicating on startup with SKYLUM via the net.

They could be related.  Apparently, libcef.dll has to do with embedding a chromium based browser within an application.
    I hope SKYLUM monitors this thread.  There might be some useful stuff in these recent posts.

Roy Blackwell

Another possible fix for some as posted by a Skylum person:

Issue: opening splash screen requesting connection to internet

-------------------

I have checked your hosts file and it is modified.

Please try resetting your hosts file back to the default value: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/972034/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default

Here is the video tutorial that may also be helpful: https://www.loom.com/share/0cf4050f5e3a4551880bbd0eb2ea0684

-------------------

Post Link:
    https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009743000/comments/360002211459

Glenn Nosworthy

Looks like we're trying to address two different issues. I believe Roy is talking about a problem wherein the splash screen appears then disappears without L4 loading. Others of us are having the splash just sit there stuck without the app loading ... and we're forced to end the process to get rid of it. I suspect Roy's hosts file fix only deals with the first problem. 

Ctenanthe57 Cousins

I had the programme hang at the splash screen. I checked the lbcef.dll version in Luminar - 75.1.14.0, I replaced this file with version 73.0.0.0 from my nVidia card folder and lo and behold Luminar works again even connected to the 'net. Definitely a problem with Luminar's dll version.

A Google search for libcef.dll 75.1.14.0 Problems gives a ton of pages showing problems with this version and a load of apps including Photoshop. Time to debug Luminar or roll back to an earlier dll version.

Michael Keay

Does anyone have this problem and is NOT running nVidia graphics?

Marcel Morel

What now: lbcef or libcef?

Barry Buehler

hosts file is yet another thing related to the internet.

Roy Blackwell

Marcel Morel: it is libcef.dll

Ctenanthe57 Cousins

If you don't have an nVidia card but need an older libcef.dll, do the following:

• Download the latest nVidia Geforce Game Ready driver from https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/
    • Download 7Zip from https://www.7-zip.org/download.html and install it
    • Right click the downloaded nVidia driver file, click 7Zip and extract everything to a folder
    • Search the folder for libcef.dll
    •  Rename the existing libcef.dll as libcef.dll.old. Copy the "new" libcef.dll to your luminar folder at C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4

Ctenanthe57 Cousins

Do NOT download dll files from dll download sites. They're usually infected.

EM

It is all very strange:

- in summer I updated from Windows 10 version 1909 to 2004
    - at that time Luminar 4.2 was actual and ran without problems

- then came the update to Luminar 4.3
    - after the update Luminar hung in the splash screen on my system

Since I read a lot about problems with the 2004 version of Win 10, I downgraded my system

- for this purpose I have restored a system image of Win 10 version 1909

- then I have updated Luminar 4.2. to 4.3

- with the result that now Luminar 4.3 works without problems

Well, today I started again the update from Win 10 version 1909 to 2004:

- and wtf, after the update from 1909 to 2004 Luminar 4.3 runs without problems???

I give up now. I'm sure I spent at least 10 hours, rather more, solving the problem.

Compared to the price of Luminar 4, a bad hourly wage to help Skylum with their homework!

Don Evans Photography

There's still some underlying problem with Luminar though.  Not sure if this is related, I haven't seen others commenting on it as the 4.3 splash screen hang has dominated the conversation, but I have a very similar problem.

BEFORE the 4.3 release, 4.2 would always work as the Lightroom plugin (and still does).  However, as the Photoshop plugin, it would work exactly ONE TIME after starting Photoshop.  If I tried to edit anything beyond that first photo with the PS plugin, it would show the splash screen, the splash screen would disappear, and PS would lock up.  I have to use Task Manager to kill the process, which leads to losing any unsaved edits in PS.

After experiencing issues with 4.3 and reverting back to 4.2, it's happening again.  I don't use Luminar as a stand-alone product (only as a plugin), so I can't speak to any instances of that.

Again, 100% of the time it works as a Lightroom plugin, so I've had to rearrange my workflow and, if I know I'll be using Photoshop and Luminar for edits (i.e. sky replacement), I always make a point to begin the workflow in Lightroom and perform any necessary Luminar edits PRIOR to taking it into Photoshop to do any further editing.

Not sure if any of that helps, or adds to the confusion.

Glenn Nosworthy

Well, the only thing that works reliably for me (L4 as stand alone or PS plugin) is to start as Administrator ... otherwise, I get stuck at the splash screen (it does not disappear and I have to end process tree to get back to PS).  

Please sign in to leave a comment.