Luminar 4 hangs on the splash screen after the update: solutions

Pinned Featured Answered

Comments

437 comments

• Official comment
    Margaret Bright

Hi everyone!

As a result of a long investigation, our techs have created a test built that has already helped some of our users get the splash screen issue resolved.

And I am here to share a link for it with you. Here it is:

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/4.3.0/Luminar_4_430_6886.zip 

You'll get a .zip folder with a pre-installed copy of Luminar. Extract the folder from the .zip. Make sure the files are extracted to a new folder.

Check out this page if you need help extracting the file:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14200/windows-compress-uncompress-zip-files

After you've successfully extracted the folder, open it, locate Luminar4.exe, right-click it and click Run As Administrator.

I really hope it works for all of you!

Comment actions Permalink
    Norbert Froeschl

Does not work for me. Reinstalled it now for the 4th time. Did every instruction above. No errors in the log. System infos sent to support.

Works only if I run it as Admin.

Very frustrating......

Bruno F.W. Ristl, Bakk.phil.

No chance to get it running.

Sorry :(

System infos sent to support.

Michael Eicher

Not Running!

Please provide your customers to a way back tot previous Version wich worked fine!

If i get an offline Installer for 4.2 i would also delete the database, if it runs later  !

Juan I Martin

Same situation here. Tried different solutions (reinstalling, renaming catalog folder, disabling firewall and antivirus, etc, etc), and still not working. The best solution I've found is unistall Luminar and forget it. I´ve been having issues with all and every Luminar updates since version 3 and I don´t know what I was thinking when I decided to pay for Luminar 4. At least I won´t waste more money on this...

Ok very strange thing. I deinstalled Luminar and removed all files and folders. Then I installed it unchecked the PS link and was able to work with it. After a reboot of the PC same old issu. Luminar 4.3.0 does not start. :(

But if you change the catalog name and reconnect Luminar to the catalog again it works.
    But this is no way to work with it - sorry guys ... :(

Udo Dittrich

Hallo und danke für den Hinweis mit dem Kompatibilitätsmodus WIN8 - das hat funktioniert, alles andere (Neuinstallation, Administrator etc.) nicht.

Nachdem ich mutig geworden war und der Offline-Installer erhältlich war, habe ich auf meinem 2. Rechner erst einmal Luminar 4.2 deinstalliert, mit CCleaner alles bereinigt und dann 4.3.0.6175 neu installiert - es geht, auch ohne Kompatibilitätsmodus.

Fazit: Ohne Offline-Installer tut sich bei mir zukünftig gar nichts mehr - keine interne Update-Funktion, die regelmäßig Probleme macht.

Ansonsten bin ich seit Luminar 2018 Kunde, auch um eine scheinbar gute Alternative zum Platzhirsch zu fördern. Ich habe und werde allerdings auf absehbare Zeit Luminar nie wirklich benutzt, sonder nur gestestet mit einigen wenigen Urlaubsfotos.

Die ständigen Probleme bei Installatin und Update, die (in der Vergangenheit?) schlechte Performance, Abstürze, Inkompatibilitäten (was ist it dem alten Dateiformat?) etc. - Leute so geht das nicht!

Effizienz UND Effektivität - bisher hat sich noch jedes Unternehmen SELBST ruiniert... Ich hoffe, Ihr kriegt die Kurve!

Olivier DRANT

still not working ... mail send with the report ... 

it's dificult to send us a link for the 4.2 version ? we need our software for our pict !

Alexander Tuma

After the update, the program no longer works

An absolute cheek. After the update, the program no longer works. I uninstalled and installed it several times. Even if you want to play the old version again, the welcome window comes with version 4.3.0 (6175), which means that all my settings and my own collected sky and other pugins are gone. Tried everything for 3 hour
    The support you get any automatic mails. Other than that, I don't understand strange entries in the Luminar log. Here installation and access spades are specified that do not work on my computer ... Did the programmer goofing off there?
    Stack Trace:
    bei Installer.Helpers.SerializeHelper.DeserializeXml[T](String value) in E:\Jenkins\workspace\Win_Installer\Installer\Helpers\SerializeHelper.cs:Zeile 27.
    bei Installer.Helpers.WebHelper.GetXmlData[T](String url) in E:\Jenkins\workspace\Win_Installer\Installer\Helpers\WebHelper.cs:Zeile 76.
    Error deserialization XML
    Fehler im XML-Dokument (0,0).
    Fehler im XML-Dokument (0,0).
    Das Stammelement ist nicht vorhanden.
    Das Stammelement ist nicht vorhanden.
    Comment actions

Dane Robinson

I did the above and now I have zero files in the the new luminar installed.  How do I get my photos with the edits previously done imported? yes...I've also sent to tech team, but man you guys are sooooooooooo slow to respond.  You really should have an instant chat set up.

Michael Eicher

Hello,

after deleting the app, i renamed the Appdata folder to .old , as stated earlier, and run the Setup as Administrator.

Then it said, the Evaluation Period expired. So i used another of my Liceses.

Luminar started in Version 4.3 and i had tu build a new Cathaloge. Everything was looking quite normal, until i quit the Program. Trying to start one again, i had the same trouble as before. It hangs at splash screen, no matter if run it as Admin or normal.

This is very very very annoying

regards

Juan I Martin

Hi, thanks to Udo Dittrich, I think I found a solution that works for me. Just set  the compatibility mode to Windows 8 and now the program starts. Too late though. I am very dissapointed with this program and won´t be using it any more.

Miguel Fernandes

Update is working for me, but with a huge loss of performance. It seems that catalog got some kind of self-destructive behavior. The thumbnails are generated, but when I scroll the screen, they disappear as I scroll forward or back. This process culminates in an increasing slowness, drastic loss of performance, forcing me to close the program, which happens only after a minute or two, such is the delay of Luminar to respond to commands. I tried everything, including an exorcism session. Back to Luminar 3, until things get better ...

Juan I Martin

Same here. The thumbnails dissapear, and it looks like Luminar is rebuilding all the thumbnails of the catalog. From my recent experience with sofware updates, ON1 and Luminar are competing against each other to see who is the most desastrous software company.

Alexander Tuma

Tried all the optons mentioned above by the support. Trozdem doesn't work. Hangs on the start screen.

Miguel Fernandes

However, when I run Luminar as a Photoshop plugin, the system behaves in an absolutely normal way, all functions are processed quickly. As a test, I accessed the plugin with a 3,000 x 4,500 px image and stressed the system, accumulating eight or nine transformations, which were processed quickly and returned to Photoshop the perfectly processed image. In other words, the issue seems to lie in the catalog system. When catalog is not required, everything runs normally.

Had the same problem with Luminar 4.3 hanging on the Splash Screen but appear to have solved it.

Decided to uninstalled Avast (antivirus) which had appeared to interfere with the saving of the catalogue file in some way. After the interference the next time I launched  Luminar it hung on the splash screen.  It continued to do this despite several reboots.

I decided to roll back the Windows 10 system to a point just before I upgraded to 4.3 (I always back up the System Drive before installing or upgrading software).

Having restoring the system I removed Avast and rebooted twice  I then installed a trial version of Bitdefender and configured the same. Then reinstalled  Luminar 4.3 using the offline installer (mentioned above). All then worked as it should albeit somewhat slower than in version 4.2.

Having been using Luminar off and on for five hours all seems all seems stable if slower. 

Hope my ramblings help. Good luck everybody.

[Edit]

Still running the morning after I did the above. However found that the erase tool won't work . Not at all!  Fortunately I found that if you run Luminar as Administrator erase works just fine.

To run Luminar as Administrator permanently do the following:

Right click on the Luminar Icon. select Properties and then Advanced. Put a tick in the box and your good to go.

Marcel Overkleeft

Same here, tried everything as described several times.... Nothing seems to work.... What a shitshow!!

Charles Green

Same problem as everyone else.  Ran various suggested fixes; nothing worked.  Going to revert to using LR and PS until Skylum come up with an update that fixes this issue.

Shame, because I only started experimenting with Luminar back in June and really liked it.  Shows that you shouldn't rush out an update until you know its 100% stable.

Dave Carhart

why did you guys put out a buggy update on a friday?  instead of a monday so you have all week to fix the MAJOR bugs you've added instead of making us wait all weekend.  

AT LEAST you could publish a link to go back to the older 4.2 version which worked fine.  

Along with the hang on startup problem.  the software now uses 80% + of the available 24GB RAM (it used to use about 40%) and my entire PC runs slooooow. the erase feature is also screwed up. instead of erasing the part I select it grabs random colors and fills in the area with garbage.

not happy.

Steven Jackson

Same problem.  Setting compatibility mode to WIN 8 (as was suggested above) worked for me on the stand-alone version.  The PS plugin does not work, however.  Tried the old version of the plugin - still doesn't work.  Something is really wrong with this software.

Will St.

It won't open for me as well

I want to downgrade until this work

Can you please provide a download to 4.2.0

Thank you

John Tiongco

EDIT2: EDIT: WTH... went to close the program and upon launch it would only run the splash screen 🤦‍♂️🤬

EDIT: Guys, something just happened - maybe 3rd time lucky... I read on one of the other threads that you need to download the installer and run it as an administrator... I just did that and suddenly everything seems to be working! Fingers crossed it will keep on working.

Any updates? I downloaded a trial version 2 days ago and this worked really well, hence decided to purchase a key. I then realised that there was an update -- big mistake!!! Have I just wasted $89?!?

Followed the instructions on the pinned post - nada, zilch, zero! I will not go through that again till there is an official workaround. 

System: Win 10 Home 64-Bit; 32gb RAM; Intel i7-8700K Dual Core 3.70ghz x2 (and yes, it may be a little old but this works very well with Lightroom)

@JT
    Just reboot the PC and see if it still works ...

Alexander Tuma

nice, but not work...many times restart the pc

Helga Rowles

Hi guys, we're sorry to hear that the issue persists. Our developers are working around the clock to find the root cause of the issue. As soon as we have a solution, we will let you know.

We'd really appreciate if you could provide our team with your system info and event by attaching them to your support request at skylum.com/support.
    (You will find the instructions in Helena's post)

While we're investigating the issue, you can install the previous version of Luminar. 
    https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_420.exe 

You can also try following the steps outlined in this post: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009455080 

Alexander Tuma
    It worked for me .... download the program 402 version.
    Then uninstall the Luminar from the Control Panel programs and
    features and also the two Microsoft Visual C *
    (ideally list the programs according to the installation date).
    I then deleted the Luminar Catalog in the images folder and
    then reinstalled the downloaded program ...
    that worked and then I didn't click the update
    John Tiongco

Charles GreenI have just downloaded the file (https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_420.exe) and can confirm that it is V.4.2.0(5577) as per installation. So far it is working and restarts after every closing.  It is too late on this side of the pond to edit some photos and will update once I get a few going.

Charles Green

Thanks JT.  I rebooted my system to make sure Luminar 4.3 was fully uninstalled, reran the installer download from the link and I now have a fully functioning Luminar 4.2 back up and running 

Arthur McFarlane

Not happy done all stuff suggested - have sent of info yesterday wanted - eventually had to reinstall - but failed - today tried again and ( again used the exe file above) but it now wants me to buy or register ( again) - I note one person had used up their second licence code and it did not work - and I am not prepared to use my second licence code and have to argue the toss afterwards - Should I use it now - seems that I have flushed the licence out stored somewhere already. and if so and use it will I be guaranteed the second licence back?  

Please sign in to leave a comment.