Luminar 4.3 — Search photos, share masterpieces

Pinned

Comments

5 comments

M L

After the first comments I read about the 4.3 update, I feared the worst, but the update was installed within minutes. When starting it, a message appeared that the database had to be migrated and after a few seconds Luminar opened. So far so good.

My first impressions:

• The crop tool is really fast and snappy. Like it.
    • I really hoped the export time drastically improves, but for a test picture of my Canon 5D Mark IV it were still 19s which is too long if doing multiple edits after each other. Nevertheless I think it is around 1/3 faster then before.
    • I really hoped switching through the photos will now be possible within Luminar...it still takes too long to load the images in a sharp manner. If you are in edit mode of a photo and select another one it is immediatly sharp. But if you then select another picture it still needs around 5-6s for me to get sharp and edit sliders switching to active. The seconds thing would even be okay for me, but when digging through the pictures I want to be able to have a look at one after the other and then perhaps stop after 8 pictures to do an edit. The loading times till editing is available nevertheless also improved by some seconds which is nice.
    • In the search it is written that I can search by date. If I type the date in German format nothing is found. Even other date formats have not worked so far...so it only seems to work for names. For me the search is only a little improvement which I probably won't use that much.
    • Resetting the adjustments is fast
    • I like the new mask workflow with showing the red transparent areas of the mask.
    • I like that the object corrections can now be activated after adding edit layers. Seems to work fine (but still doesn't work in combination with the erase tool...so if you missed it before doing a lot of erase work you have to do it again)
    • Erase tool is still way to slow...time till it can be used, time till the processing is finished. Compared to LR its horrible slow.
    • Some translations still missing "Creating new layer..." is shown in German version

Conclusion: Unfortunately the performance improvements are less than expected, but still noticeable. Compared to LR editing sessions with a bigger number of photos will still take way more time, but less time then with 4.2 I have the feeling it is moving in the right direction, but there is still some stuff to do for photographers with a lot of photos/edits. Thanks anyways, and keep up the work. I really hope that the next release will be soon and bring more improvements and fixes again.

Comment actions Permalink
    Darryl Brooks

The one thing I keep looking for in updates is proper handling of metadata. It still strips the metadata if you use Edit In, the same as every other Lightroom extension. I know the workaround is to export, but Edit In is the default workflow for 19 of my 20 plugins and Luminar is the only one that can't retain metadata on exit. 

Koen Koppens

Thanks for these changes. Agree with the comments above (also the meta-data remark).
    Was also hoping that my GPU might be used more for the image processing as it would be faster than my CPU, appears not to be the case. 

After updating to 4.3, i am sad to report that it has crashed regularly like ver 4.0 When I edit a photo, the CPU is regularly reporting a 100% usage even when I have stopped doing anything. This is causing ver 4.3 to crash. I am using i7 8th Gen with 24GB of RAM. Only if i go back to grid view does the CPU go back to normal %. Version 4.1 and 4.2 was more stable and never crashed. Can I roll back to version 4.2
    ?

Helga Egilsdottir

Dear Member,

Sorry to hear about the problems you encountered with a new version. Maybe there is something we can do with this.

Please, kindly contact us via https://skylum.com/support, so we can help you with this. Thank you!

Please sign in to leave a comment.