Scrolling through the gallery is extremely slow. Preview images are not cached whatsoever.

Answered

Comments

15 comments

Ian Murrell

Brandon V

Brandon, the images are very definitely being cached, and you can find the cached images in the catalog in the myriad of subfolders under the folder "PreviewCache. So when I edit an image from the library and for example change it to black and white, there are 5 new black and white versions of the image (different sizes) added to the cache.

That said, there can be an issue with the time it takes to access the cached images, which I suspect might well be a database issue.

If I scroll through the library using the mouse wheel, the speed is not fast, but for me mostly adequate. However If I try to scroll very quickly using the scroll bar, often it will start to drop images and just show dark grey place cards, and sometimes it will then lock up Luminar altogether..

I've found it can help, with Luminar 4 closed,  to delete the folder "PreviewCache" and then when Luminar 4 is next started it will regenerate the cache images and also condense the cache. .

Comment actions Permalink
    Austin Miller

Hi Brandon. Ian is right, the cache of the images is stored in the Luminar 4 catalog.

I also suggest increasing the page file size - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/increase-page-file-size-virtual-memory-windows

Erwin Kargl

@Austin
    Please stop giving sort of solutions, where the paying costumers have to sort out problems on their side. It's up to Skylum to deliver a working software!

FYI: I tried everything what was suggested, but no solution for me. AND other software works without problem, rendering uhd videos, editing images with affinity photo and so on.
    Erwin

Helga Hufflepuff

Erwin Kargl,

Sorry to hear about the issues you encountered. In this case, let's see if there is anything else we can do. Could you please kindly reach us via https://skylum.com/support? Look forward to hearing from you.

Brandon V

Hi all, 

The PreviewCache folder actually is empty, and remains empty. Nothing ever gets put in this folder from what I am observing, but I'm not sure why. I think this is the underlying problem.

EDIT: The above is incorrect. That is not the underlying issue. For some reason, I have TWO folders named Luminar 4 Catalog, one on the C: drive, and another on D: drive. I was looking at the one on the D drive, but that is unused by the program it seems. I deleted that one, and cleared the PreviewCache folder in the active one on the C: drive. It did not resolve the issue.

Ian Murrell

Brandon V

The default location for the catalog when you install Luminar 4 is in the Windows 10 pictures folder which would normally be on Drive C. This is NOT the best place to have it, as Windows 10 Photo app normally indexes the pictures folder and all its sub-folder.

For that reason, I would recommend starting a new catalog, using File->Catalog->New. It should preferably be on a local drive,

If you are not seeing a folder structure similar to that shown below, with preview images in each of the sub-folders, then I would suggest starting a new catalog, then adding a single folder that has 10 to 20 images in it, and then check that the previews are being generated correctly.in that catalog.

The parent folder "Luminar 4" in the above screen shot is one I added to a local SSD data drive and then opened my Luminar Catalog in it.

You can always find the location of the current Luminar 4 catalog from within Luminar from File->Catalog->Show in Explorer.

พี่เสือ (Juergen)

i would not recommend to put the catalog on a SSD drive. I was monitoring the drive my catalog is stored and there is only write access while scrolling through the libraray.with already indexed pictures. It seems Luminar creates preview pictures but not use it and create it again when you scroll back. 

Duke Mihajlovic

I too am having this issue, and there does not appear to be any real clear solution.  Did I miss something?

Ian Murrell

Duke Mihajlovic

The performance of Luminar will depend to some extent on how many photos there are in your catalog, or catalogs, what their size and type are, and the extent of the edits that have been made to them.  It will also depend on where the catalog or catalogs have been placed, and of course the specs of your PC.

If you are having problems with scrolling through library thumbnails, you could try deleting the cache, and letting Luminar rebuild it as explained in an earlier post in this thread..

Luminar 4's method of storing all of the edit details for all of its photos, RAW, JPG, TIFF etc  in its database could be argued to have some benefits over image editors that only retain edit details for individual images if you specifically save individual project files, however that is a lot of information it has to handle.

There are various ways you can set up the catalog or catalogs, folders and albums in order to make your work flow as efficient as possible.

Luminar 4 can certainly not be said to be blindingly fast, but at least for me it is quite adequate.

Duke Mihajlovic

I did delete the previewcache, that made no difference.

I do notice, when going through images- when I first see the image- the crop tool icon is missing from the top.  Then, 1-2 seconds pass, the image slightly resizes, and that tool icon then appears.  Much of my delay may be associated with that?

Ian Murrell

Duke Mihajlovic

Yes, you should also see, at the time the crop tool appears, the Essentials heading becomes highlighted, and the Histogram is updated. That is the end of the "development" period when it changes from displaying the embedded thumbnail to displaying the developed RAW image.. I find the "develop" time in Luminar 4.3 on par with the time Affinity Photo takes to open a raw image in its Develop Persona, and the development time it takes in Raw Therapee.. .

พี่เสือ (Juergen)

It not a hardware problem and it does not matter where the catalog is stored. After the preview images are created it just a simple filebrowsing through lo-res preview jpegs. Even image libraries of a NAS or a phone can handle that and of course any other editing software with library. Only Luminar can't

Please stop fnding reasons why this is a user fault or need to split the catalog in several smaller ones. This is not a solution

Ian Murrell

Juergen

For the record, my only association with Skylum is that I purchased and use Luminar 4.

When Luminar 4 was first released, I took advantage of the free trial to assess it, and I put a lot of time into finding its good points, its not so good points, and whether the benefits I could derive from adding it to my existing software collection justified the expense.

At the end of the trial period my decision to purchase was based entirely on what I had established Luminar 4 could do for me AS IT WAS. If subsequent maintenance releases happened to improve on that (and I think to some extent they have), then that would be a bonus. Purchasing software on the basis of what one would like it to be, rather that what it actually is, is a sure path to disappointment.

Things like the speed of scrolling, or the time it takes to do the initial development of a RAW image, in my view are simply relative considerations, not faults. They are affected by hardware and they may be faster or slower relative to some other software. That is a valid consideration when doing an overall assessment. It is up to each individual, when deciding to purchase, to decide whether they are adequate, on the existing hardware, for his or her needs..

With respect, I don't happen to agree with your opinion that the location of the catalog doesn't matter, or that the scrolling is simple file browsing (there is a complex database in the mix as well), and I do believe based on my own experience that there can be advantages to having more than one catalog, but fortunately we are each entitled to our own opinions.

พี่เสือ (Juergen)

Ian

We are talking about scrolling through the catalog with already indexed pictures not about the development process. The scrolling is in fact a simple filebrowsing. Fetch the path of the already created preview image from datebase and display it  - nothing else to do. There is no development or editing process at this time. If a picture have edits the preview image contains these edits as well. The datebase even if it contains many images is about a few megabytes only, The preview images are about a few kilobyte

I can accept the delay when enter the editing mode and there i agree it depend on hardware how long i have to wait until the image is ready to develop or to edit. But in this topic we are talking about the scrolling through the gallery and at he moment it is unusable and it makes no fun. 

Mark Smith

I am seeing an issue with the same behavior as this.  We (skylum support) have tried numerous things to resolve it.  Most on the hardware side.  I really don't think this is a hardware issue.  It really appears that Luminar 4 continues to try and generate the previews no matter which way I scroll and the scrolling is very slow.

I have tried everything above and then some with no luck.  I really like the editing of Luminar 4 (also pre-ordered Luminar AI), however, this issue of being able to see previews is just killing it for me.  I can't show my clients, friends, or family with any sort of confidence.  :( 

Please sign in to leave a comment.