Will Luminar get lens profiles?

Answered

Comments

7 comments

Didier DUPRAT

I'm a bit surprised by your answer.

How can you apply correction on unspecified lens ?

This list should already exist. If not, I don't understand how you can apply correction .

Comment actions Permalink
    Philippe Steindl

Indeed :) The list of cameras to me is usually for RAW file support. Lenses all have their very own, very specific distortions, so a list of cameras supported tells me nothing. It would have to be a list of lenses I think.I once hear that some manufacturers put specific correction data (not just the lenses ID/Name) into the RAW, but I'm not sure about that.

I can not imagine an automatic procedure without that information. Even analyzing the image for bent edges, it can't really know if that edge is suppsoed to be round or not? Or in a picture of say a lake water surface, it has no idea what to do whatsoever?

Basically you need a database with specific distortion information per lens in the best case.

Margaret Bright

Hi Philippe,

Please note that at this time we have the Auto Distortion Correction option in Lens&Geometry toolset, which allows you to apply lens correction in one click. If the RAW files of your camera are supported by the app, the auto-correction should work just fine.

Philippe Steindl

Hello Margaret. I did see that, but what is it based on? Some cameras seem to store detailed correction information in the RAW, some seem to only put the lenses ID in the RAW and the software has to know how to correct that lens. And there's lenses with complex distortions, that aren't simple barrels etc, so you basically need real lens data to correct that ant can not guess it from analyzing the image or so. This is what my question was about: Can luminar get rid of distortion in a perfect way by absolutl yknowing how a specific lens distorts .. or is it just a guess by analyzing the image, or onl yhappening, if the raw actually has detailed info in it on how to do that? What's the automatism really doing?

Didier DUPRAT

Can we have the list of supported lenses for Auto Distorsion Correction ?

Austin Miller

Hi all! You can find the list of supported cameras here - https://media.macphun.com/uploads/uploads/Luminar_4.1.0_Supported_Cameras.pdf

Also, I am going to pass your concerns regarding the separate lens support to our tech department so we can take it into consideration for future releases.

Austin Miller

Hi all! Thank you for your great suggestions! I can see how this list would be very useful and helpful. I'll share your feedback with our developers for future consideration.

Please sign in to leave a comment.