Luminar 4.3 won't launch as a Photoshop Plug-In

Pinned Answered

Comments

112 comments

Sheldon Becker

I got the plug-in working by (a) exiting Creative Cloud and then (b) following KIRKS instructions.

Like many people - ended up spending majority of night screwing around with this.  Maybe instead of LUMINAR X - it may be wiser to

get the current release working and tested.

Comment actions Permalink

Alright all, it is 12 Oct 2020 and This issue is going on with me.  I have tried all aspects that you all have been suggesting and I am getting nothing accomplished.  I can see that Luminar 4 is in my plug-in area but when I try and open up an image from Photoshop into Luminar as a Filter nothing opens!!!  

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plug ins - Restarting the computer after Reinstalling them - Nothing changed

I totally took off Luminar from from my computer and reinstalled it as admin and nothing changed

I have tried opening it up as a stand alone, that works... from time to time, but still will not open from Photoshop.

What the heck is going on?!?!?  This is getting so many people upset that your software should be good from the start with minimal bugs!

Anastasia Davis

Hi! Could you specify if you tried reaching our support team regarding this? Just in case, here is the link: https://skylum.com/support

Anastasia,

Like your product that I purchased, your web site is just as fouled up.  You go to customer support and there is nothing but FAQs that do not answer or even help out with the people that are in need of support.  

My Luminar 4 opens up just fine as a stand alone program.  I try and open it up as a filter in photoshop, and it gets hung up on the splash screen.  I have been reading on how it just randomly does this because your company coding errors.  What can I do to fix this?  There are people in this forum that are just freaking ticked off!  

Monte Montemayor

Member, I hate to say this but your best path is to downgrade to 4.2.  Yes, you will get an annoying pop up telling you to upgrade but at least it works as advertised. 

Monte, I have been looking for the 4.2 all day today. Any idea where I might find this damn thing so I can actually use the program like how I want to? I am tired of having to save.. export... load... work again... save... export... load... work again in photoshop... if this is how Luminar AI is going to be, then I am not buying it.

Anastasia Davis

Hi! In case you want to roll back to 4.2.0, here is the link:

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_420.exe

Nevertheless, I would recommend you, guys, reaching our support team directly. At the bottom of our FAQ you can send an email. Or else you can write an email to support@skylum.com

Monte Montemayor

"Nevertheless, I would recommend you, guys, reaching our support team directly. At the bottom of our FAQ you can send an email" - with all due respect Anastasia, this is an unacceptable suggestion.  1- It's not like Skylume is not aware that this problem exists, they have just failed to fix it as of now.   2 - If support can fix this problem for 1, why wouldn't they fix this problem for all?  There must have been hundreds and hundreds of people contacting support as you've suggested.  3 - IMHO, you are making your customers work too hard to get what they thought they were purchasing.  There may be features or even minor bugs in software but it is not reasonable to have your customers jump through hoops just to get the SW working to begin with. 

Anastasia

I just downloaded that 4.2 and that doesnt even work!  I loaded it up and when I try and run the operation I get this error "Database failed to Load"

Helga Egilsdottir

Member,

I would kindly ask you to follow the steps below:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like. Don't remove this folder.
    4. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    5. Type %appdata%\Luminar 4 in the dialog box that opens and press Enter on your keyboard.
    6. Next, remove all the contents in Luminar 4 folder you opened in Step 5. Please note that this will remove your user looks and workspaces, so back up the folder into the safe location before removing it if necessary. You can then put your looks and workspaces back later.
    7. Start Luminar. It will ask you to complete the initial setup. While performing the setup, leave the location of the catalog at the default.

You should be able to launch the app afterwards.

Jason Telford

I am also having the 4.3 not being able to launch from the photoshop elements plugin.  Can confirm though that downgrading from the previous link to 4.2 and applying the database fix.  did get my photoshop to luminar workflow... working.

I look forward to a patch for this in the future

Roy Blackwell

@Jason Telford: See this comment and see if it helps:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009779659/comments/360002293200

John Barnett

Like many others, I had a problem getting the new update to install as a plugin.  I only use Affinity Photo, but had the same issues as others have described.  I do not have Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or Lightroom.  After reading through the numerous comments posted, I found it somewhat confusing, so I figured I would comment on what I did in a simple format to get my plugin to work.

1. In Affinity Photo I deinstalled the Luminar 4 plugin that I had attempted to install utilizing the standard File/Preferences/Plugin method. I exited Affinity Photo completely.

2 In opened Luminar 4 in Administrator mode (Right click on icon, select Run as Administrator).

3. I then went to File / Install plugins.  It listed the three standard plugins.  I clicked Uninstall Photoshop Plugin, waited a few seconds, and clicked Install Photoshop plugin.   Note: this is important ....when you go into Affinity Photo to install the Luminar 4 plugin, it is looking for the Photoshop compatible configuration.  It didn't matter that I don't have any of the Photoshop programs.

5. Exit Luminar 4

6. Open Affinity Photo, and now add the Photoshop plugin through the File/Preferences/Plugins standard method, and it should work.  If you had already attempted to install the Luminar 4 plugin before following the above steps and did not delete it, you most likely have to delete the plugin and repeat the steps above.

Hope this helps.   JohnEB

Member - like you I loaded 4.2 and got "database failed to load". I ignored that and opened Photoshop and 4.2 does now open (again !!!) as a plug in.

......and I thought Microsoft updates were bad ................

Francisco Marquez

It is very disappointing that a company like Skylum, is not able to solve the problem of Luminar 4.3 with Photoshop in Windows 10. What will happen with Luminar AI?

Monte Montemayor

@Francisco - you are 100% right about this.  "What will happen with Luminar AI?"  In the past, I probably would have purchased this product without a 2nd thought.  Now?   Hummmm,  likely WONT purchase because I've lost confidence that Skylume is really for prime time with support issues.   I am sure you saw the recent PS 2021 + the beta.  Adobe is coming for companies like Skylume so they have to be all that much better to compete.  

Francisco Marquez

Hi Monte, unfortunately, Idid buy and after the recent update LrC and PS I regret it

Helga Rowles

Hi Francisco,

If Luminar doesn't open from Photoshop, make sure to update your Luminar 4 plugin:

1. Make sure Photoshop is not running. If Photoshop was running, reboot your PC before proceeding. 
    2. Right-click the Luminar 4 icon > Run As Administrator.
    3. Click File > Install Plugins.
    4. Click Uninstall next to Photoshop.
    5. Reboot your PC.
    6. Right-click the Luminar 4 icon > Run As Administrator.
    7. Click File > Install Plugins.
    8. Click Install next to Photoshop.

In case there's a message You have to install this software first, click Browse and navigate to where the .exe file of your host application is. After you show Luminar where the host app is, you will be able to install the plugin for the host.

If further assistance is needed, please contact us at skylum.com/support.

Peter Polak

I have noticed that the Photoshop plugin start problem was related to the internet connection in my case.
    What I have done to make it running fine is:

uninstalled the plugin
    added below lines to the windows hosts file:

0.0.0.0 stats-api.skylum.com
    0.0.0.0 luminar4win.skylum.com

installed the plugin back

All works fine now with or without internet connection and no adverts popping up at plugin start anymore as a plus.

Steve P

I had this issue, when using the install/uninstall failed I looked in the Plug-ins folder in Photoshop there was an old plug-in for Luminar (Luminar4.8bf), so I deleted that, clicked install again and then it worked perfectly - hope this helps others :)
    I think this error happened when upgrading to PS2021

I have totally given up trying to get 4.3.0 to run, I have tried every tip on here and many others, NONE work !! I am using 4.2.0 which does continue to work. Every time I start up I get an invitation to install 4.3.0 - it says something about "no more freezes"  - quite true - if it doesn't run it can't freeze !!! Sick joke ..........

Just to add insult to injury I am being deluged with daily emails exhorting me to buy AI - I shall be VERY polite and say: "they must be joking!"

Elena O'Brien

Hi, if Luminar does not work for you, please reach out to us at http://skylum.com/support and we'll get that sorted out for you ASAP.

Please sign in to leave a comment.