Luminar 4.3 won't launch as a Photoshop Plug-In

Pinned Answered

Comments

109 comments

• Official comment
    Kirk Osborn

Hi!

Please try reinstalling the plugin:

• Make sure that Photoshop is not running.
    • Open Luminar.
    • Click File > Install Plugins...
    • Click 'Uninstall' next to the Photoshop icon.
    • Restart your PC
    • Open Luminar.
    • Click File > Install Plugins...
    • Click 'Install' next to Photoshop.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment actions Permalink
    Remco van Santen

I have same problem. I have tried to uninstal Photopshop plugin from within Luminar 4.3 (which does a restart presumably as administrator) but it does nothing. It remains showing as a plug in (ready to be uninstalled)  from within Luminar 4.3

Aurora HDR is the only filter showing in the Photoshop plugin filter folder (C/programs/adobe/photoshopcc.5/plugins.) IOW Luminar 4.2 was removed from Photoshiop folder during the installation upgrade from version 4.2 to 4.3.

So again, from with Photoshop cc5, clicking on the filter Luminar, does nothing (there is a slight pause).   

What should I do (previous upgrades in Luminar presented no problem. 

Gary Silk

Installed latest update. Previous versions worked fine,no probs updating and using. This one won't open in Lr,Ps or standalone. When I try to repair I get the message to close Luminar 4. I can't as it is not open.,Lr and Ps are not open when I try this. All I get is the splash page and the continuous spinning blue circle.

Margaret Bright

Hi Remco

Have you tried the suggestion offered by Kirk in the pinned message above? This helps update the plugin and use Luminar as a plugin again.

Hi Gary,

Please see my reply to you in this thread: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009425420/comments/360002019059

Remco van Santen

Hi Margaret,

While I had done Kirk's suggestion twice, it now works. So thank you for your prompt response, I'll put it down to gremlins.

Austin Miller

Hi Remco. We are glad to hear that the plugin works now! Make sure to reach us if any questions arise.

Mark Davis

I am having the same problem. Have uninstalled the plugin and re-installed. Have even uninstalled the whole application, run a registry cleaner and re-installed - still not working. Luminar Flex and Aurora work OK. Any ideas?

Remco van Santen

Mark, when you say "unistalled the plugin" I presume you mean from within Luminar (as described by Kirk). 

My experience is that it would not uninstal each time I clicked uninstal it went into administrator mode (as it should) and then the uninstal was not opereated and the button continued to offer an uninstal option. (At that point I wrote in above).

What I discovered that the next day, after restarting the computer, it worked, ie. an uninstal action created an outcome on the button and Photoshop no longer showed Luminar as a plug in. At that point, I could reinstal Luminar as a plug in within Luminar. IOW a computer restart seemed to have been necessary in my case. 

Hope it helps.

Mark Davis

Hi Remco

My Uninstall from Luminar 4 with PS and LR closed worked and I re-istalled them manually as the auto install did nnot work when I uninstalled the whole application. I even checked for Windows Upgrades and restarted the PC. Mine hung when I click re-istalled it. Prior to that it staretd - dots turning but nothing happened. Thought it may have been the image so tried another image that I had edited earlier (the unedited version) and the same thing happened. Have exhausted all my possibilities that I can think off.

Mark

Michael Walsh

Thanks had the same problem but thanks to the above advise it is working now.

Mike.

Mark Davis

I redid this again and now it seems to have worked.

Francesco Cinollo

I had the same problem, but the first solution doesn't work for me, because in Luminar the option "install plugin" was grey and unclickable.
    Only this procedure worked:

- uninstall Luminar
    - restart windows
    - reinstall Luminar as Administrator
    - run Luminar as Administrator
    - File > Uninstall Plugins
    - File > Install Plugins
    - Now the plugin from PH work well

Hope this help someone.

Have a nice day

jane vickers

I too updated to 4.3 and it will not open in PS.  When I got Luminar  a few weeks ago it installed like a piece of cake and worked great as a plug-in.  Now, no plug in.  It shows it in PS but does not run.  When I uninstall, restart Windows, reinstall it is there as a stand alone.  When I go to File it is grayed out and not an option to install as a plug in.  I am so frustrated and sooooo sorry I updated. 

Please help.  Thank you.

Jane

Francesco Cinollo

jane vickers have you tried to run all installation as Administrator?

jane vickers

Hi Francesco.  I'm not sure how to run as an Administrator.  When I go to the app and right click, it gives me that option. I can click on run as administrator.  But still does not work.  I installed it when I got it a few weeks ago.  I just downloaded and it gave me the option to install as plugin at that time.  It does that now.  It shows up on my pull down filters but when I click on it, it will not run.  I don't understand how it could install and run so perfect and I upgrade and now this.  

Thank you.

Francesco Cinollo

Ok, the procedure is correct to run as Administrator. Now try to do all the same from start but add this steps after "run Luminar as Administrator"

- File > modify single image
    - modify one image and save it somewhere doesn't really matter, but this prevent the future guided tour that start as soon that you start the program
    - now I think you can go to File > install/uninstall plugin menu and do the rest

Let me know

jane vickers

Edit single image is grayed out.  So it won't work. 

Kurt Friis Hansen

Glad I did not install 4.3 before checking the wild disasters displayed in the forum. I only wonder, why you did not test this horror before release.

Since version 4.2 is not working satisfactorily either, I’ll probably uninstall Luminar for good. What good does it do, except taking up valuable space unnecessarily on my SSD and reminding of my gross error even paying for this horror.

jean-pierre delmur

I admit that version 4.2 was not easy to install........

As for the PS and LR plugins, just follow Kirk Osborn's procedure at the beginning of the post and the problem is resolved in less than a minute. Thank you very much

Johnny Van den Brempt

This is what worked for me,just logout from adobe creative cloud account and login again!

Kind regards John

Helga Rowles

Hi guys! Thanks for keeping us updated about this.

I've just updated Kirk's post for those who are still encountering the issue.
    Please try restarting your PC after uninstalling the plugin.

Here's how the updated instruction looks like:

• Make sure that Photoshop is not running.
    • Open Luminar.
    • Click File > Install Plugins...
    • Click 'Uninstall' next to the Photoshop icon.
    • Restart your PC
    • Open Luminar.
    • Click File > Install Plugins...
    • Click 'Install' next to Photoshop.
    Dan C

1. The Kirk / Helga fix worked for me.

2. You blew it Skylum.  Your paying customers should NOT have to jump thru hoops to make things work.  Let's make sure the development team is told they blew it and let's make sure they are instructed never to do it again.

Geoffrey C. Lewis

Super frustrated. Wish I could roll back to version 4.2, which always worked.

After installing the 4.3 upgrade, first the Photoshop plugin was slow and kept crashing. Now it won't launch at all.

I've tried Kirk's steps multiple times. I've followed Margaret's suggestion of running as administrator. I've tried completely uninstalling Luminar, restarting my system, reinstalling it, and following all the steps again.

I tried Johnny Van den Brempt's solution to log out of my Creative Cloud and logging back in, and it worked for one image then broke again.

I'm on a deadline for a paid project and sky replacement was a key part of my workflow. Please advise ASAP.

Free space on my hard disk: 1.72 TB

Virtual memory settings:

Kate Williams

Hi Geoffrey,

You can access 4.2.0 here: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_420.exe 

Please note that you'll need to create a new catalog if you decide to roll back an update. Also, you may want to create a zipped-up copy of your current Catalog folder (by default, it's located in the Pictures folder). 

What exactly happens now? Does the app crash when invoked as a PS plugin? Or does it hang on the splash screen? 

Are you able to start it in the standalone mode? 

If the app hangs on the splash screen, I may suggest ensuring that Luminar is allowed through all the security software you may have. 

You may also try out this solution provided by one of our customers: 

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009381959/comments/360002032159

If you're facing the issue with Luminar invoked only as a PS plugin, please provide us with some additional info at support@skylum.com

It would be just perfect if you could make a screen recording of the issue. 

You can use Monosnap to record your screen: https://monosnap.com/welcome

Also, please send us the image file for which you're trying to invoke the plugin. 

Here's how you can send us the files:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request.

If there's a crash, please send us event logs:

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your reply to this email.

Here is the video tutorial on how to collect logshttps://www.loom.com/share/d7d8325cb83b4539a0a2dae3ebf286f6 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Eddy MB

Hello from Germany.

I have found a way to start Luminar as a PS plugin after the update.
    I had the problem that Luminar could not be started as an administrator, although i had reported this deficiency to the support!

The work of art just stopped, nothing happened.
    So I right-clicked on problem compatibility handling and started Luminar in Win8 compatibility mode.
    After that I could start the program as admin, uninstall the plugins for Adobe PS & Lightroom.
    After restarting the PC and logging in as admin at Luminar, I reinstalled the plug-in and it works!

Hope it helps others too!

James Schei

Hey, I just updated today 7-20-20 and got the same issue and re installed etc. then finally I found this forum and kirks answer and now it is working again as plug-in. one more question did I get re activated by putting in my email? I have launched the stand alone several times and there is never a activate option under the file menu.   Thanks

Paul Wright

Yes sadly same issue just bought luminar a week ago and now having issues.....Hope you iron out the issues soon its so frustrating as none of the options above seem to work...

Thanks.  

Chris Jackson

Kirk's original method worked a treat for me. I know have Luminar 4.3 working as a plugin to Photoshop cc 20 .

A happy bunny :-) 

Shaun Clapham

This is the biggest waste of time ever..  I've used Photoshop for 20 years, plugins form every vendor, alienskin, NIK, imagenomic..  This software 4.3 version simply doesn't work.  Ive tried everything, windows 10, current photoshop build, uninstall, reinstall, ran as admin, restarts, up up down down ba start nothing.  I firstly want a refund, and you should disclose to your users your aware of the butchery and are providing a update.  I've emailed several times, IM not getting support.  Kirk or whoever your method to resolve doesn't work.  I've sent screen recordings..  If you want to do a screen share fine but I need this resolved.

Gary Silk

Shaun Clapham,a big thankyou,I have done as you have...ie: wasted time,effort and money on this update. I have gone back to Ver 3 as it still works. What a piece of crap this version is..maybe if I could open it I would feel differently. It won't even allow me to uninstall it to start again. I spit upon it and all its spawn.

Please sign in to leave a comment.