Luminar 4 wont launch after 4.3.0 update

Answered

Comments

240 comments

Robert Simoneau

I tried and it did not work for me. I have Norton 360, so I killed it.

Comment actions Permalink
    Grant Beach

Have also had the same issues on a Surface Pro 7 ever since the update has been released. After a fresh install of Luminar 4.3.0 (6175) and resetting Windows Defender Firewall with "Restore Defaults", program started up no problem. Hope this helps others with the same problem!

Nenad.M

My problem was Ransomware protection in Windows Security , when I add Luminar 4.exe in allowed app Luminar start normally.

Hope this helps others with the same problem.

David Griffiths

Just updated - what a mistake, should have looked here first. Now I see that this has been going on for over 2 Months without resolution. I've better things to do than plough through all these comments and spend hours reinstalling etc etc. So, you have lost me as a Customer Skylum. Never again.

Elena Blum

Hi David Griffiths,

I definitely understand your concern. Please contact our support team https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to help you.

Przemysław Wiktorczyk

Elena Blum

Many people (also me) are waiting for solution from support more than 2 months. I contacted support at the beginning, and only solution what I get was something like please run as administrator or disable firewall or antivirus. It's not solution!

Every time when people are complaining Skylum says: "we do our best" or "please contact support". Sorry, but HOW LONG WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR SOLUTION?

Waiting more than 2 months for solution make hundreds (or maybe a thousand) people pissed off. Skylum treat us like idiots.

I think except of fast solution people should get some compensation like additional looks or something similar.

Patrick H

I just did a clean reinstall of Luminar and it still hangs on start.

Mind you this is not the first problem.

The last version (that still at least started):

• would randomly crash to desktop
    • would show black previews
    • would be MUCH slower that Lightroom and be barely usable on an all-SSD Threadripper box with 128 GB RAM
    • would randomly freeze

when the program stalled or did not show previews, procmon / procexp would show that it often was not doing anything. So there would be 24 idle cores and Luminar would do a handful of bytes of IO / sec.

I guess there's a common theme here, and it's threading. 

Elena Blum

Hi Przemysław Wiktorczyk,

I'm really sorry to hear that the latest update disappointed you. I definitely understand how it can be frustrating and that having the app functioning smoothly is essential for your professional workflow. So our tech team is working on a permanent solution to improve the situation for you. 

Bernd Gilles

I encountered the same problem after installing Luminar 4 on a new computer (Dell XPS-15).

My solution:
    Start Luminar as Administrator for the first launch and setup your first catalogue.

After doing this, the start as a regular user works fine!

But I agree to Patrick: Luminar crashes randomly and quite often and is much slower than LR.
    I currently changed back to LR because it's very frustrating to work on thousands of photos with Luminar.

Jason Foong

I've found some limited success in my case. In my case, Luminar 4.3.0 (6175) fails to start and just shows a splash screen. After much painful troubleshooting to eliminate other causes and applying a list of basic fixes suggested in other threads, it was eventually revealed that the issue is due to some corruption in the catalogs in use by Luminar.

I had to copy the existing catalog to another folder and re-install Luminar. On the first run, Luminar started fine with the default (empty) catalog. After it started, I closed the program and proceeded to overwrite the default catalog with my (corrupted) catalog. Once Luminar started, I removed the last edited image from the catalog and the problem was solved.

In my instance, it was an image file that caused the program to crash. Fortunately, it was the last image I edited and I was able to remove it from the catalog to resume work. I had to come to this conclusion after eliminating other causes and restarting my machines and ensuring that the Microsoft.NET and various components were current. It would help if there were error messages describing which component in the program failed to load or if it experienced issues starting instead of showing users a non-interactive splash screen.

Luminar falls far short in terms of stability and the issues I have seen with it do not encourage me to even consider their next product. The program is buggy and runs poorly compared with Lightroom. The only thing it has in its favor is the fact that it is a standalone purchase.

I can think of no reasons why I might recommend this software.

Joris Mak

I had contacted support weeks ago about this. They gave me a few recommendations, and like I posted then: Adding Luminar4 to the Windows Defender exceptions helped.

Yesterday I received out of the blue a message from support if I could test a new (experimental) build 4.3.0 6886.

I removed my exceptions and started the old build to see if it still hangs at the splash screen (it did). Then I copied over the new build and started it, and it started up normally. I tried this multiple times, seems OK now.

So there _appears_ (I make no promises) to be a new build incoming that fixes the issue, and they are actually working on it. 

I know that won't change the perception of Skylum in the mind of a lot of people on this forum (even this thread), and that's OK, I understand it completely (and I have the same feeling somewhat)...

But I thought it would still be good news to report that there appears to be a fix incoming. Of course, I have no information at all about a timeframe. That the build worked for me won't mean it works for everyone, and it won't mean it's ready to release.

Just thought to report that they are actually working on it.

Margaret Bright

Hi guys! 

As Joris has mentioned, our team has indeed developed a new build that seems to have fixed the issue for some users now. Therefore, I believe we are on the right track and the permanent fix is on its way.

For those of you who wish to try out the new test build, feel free to reach out to our support team at skylum.com/support. It would really help us in our investigation if more users could try it out and let us know the outcome.

Jason Foong

Glad to hear that there is some progress on the issue and that the team is actively working on solutions. It seems that there may be multiple root causes to the issues preventing Luminar from loading. I suppose one thing that could help with understanding the issue would be to have a more interactive startup sequence. That would make it easier for users to understand where the error is occurring. 

It would also help if there was a way to check the integrity of the catalogs and the images so that users can rule that out as another root cause.

Hopefully the next version will fix these issues and the future versions of Luminar will be more stable and the functionality be fit for purpose. 

Ed vE

Hi Margaret

As you already indicated, I would like to use the new build as mentioned by you and Joris.

The current build works (..) but with many startupproblems.
    What strikes me is when enabling ProcessMonitor (SysInternals) (under admin rights) and specifically monitoring 'Process Name' = Luminar 4.exe, it actually always starts without problems.
    So I'm curious if things are going better with the new build.

Thnx.

Ed.

Robert Simoneau

I followed the instructions above reached out to support at skylum.com/support. and requested the latest build. I downloaded the zip from the link they provided, and followed the below steps and now I appear to have a FIXED Lunimar 4.3.0 (6886).

1. I moved a copy of my Looks to my desktop.
    2. Downloaded the zip
    3. Unzipped into a temp folder
    4. Started my version 4.2 and allowed it to be updated to 4.3
    5. Closed Luminar and then deleted all files from C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4
    6. Copied all files from the temp folder of step 3 above into C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4
    7. Put my looks back to the look folder.
    8. Normal start works fine now.
    9. I did have to start and Admin and uninstall and reinstall plugins to get them working from Photoshop.
    Setiawan Kartawidjaja

Margaret Bright, I read the update build announcement, but then removed... something wrong?

Currently downloading it... but haven't test it

Margaret Bright

Hi Setiawan,

I have just pinned the message to the top of this thread. Please go to the first page of this thread and see the first comment. You will find a link and the instructions there :)

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

ah - ok thanks!

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

ok - as instructed, download, extract to an other folder... then do run as admin.

Database migrate required notice dialog box - yes.

then Adobe Photoshop plug-in also required to be updated - yes

Quit, then rerun not as admin, like usual - also run's well.

then test from Photoshop as plug-in - also running well.

so far seems working now in ASUS ROG.

Stephen Ban

Wait, so just to clarify - if we're currently running 4.2 and we want to try this new build, we need to install 4.3, download this separate update, extract it into a different folder, and run it from that folder?

So what's the point in installing the existing 4.3 build? To migrate the catalog?

Mikael Kehler

No, that's feels meaningless. And in my case not possible as version 4.2 won't start now. So I intend to uninstall that and run the new 4.3 from the folder - and hope that it will continue to function. 

Joris Mak

(not Skylum, community member… I just hope that the forum will stop renaming my name to 'Member'...)

The build that has been posted are just new files. It is _NOT_ an installer and it _won't_ properly install 4.3 from scratch.

I advise people that have no 4.3 installed to install it the proper way first, then overwrite with the files from the supplied .zip (or wait for the proper new installer to arrive). Who knows what kind or weird stuff can happen later if you never went through the 4.3-install process.

Making a backup of your catalog sounds like a good idea to do if possible, just in case...

I tried to go from Luminar-3-not-having-touched-it-in-a-year to Luminar 4.3, so I had no catalog or whatsoever. (And still had the same startup problems, btw). So I can't say how good the catalog migration is with the new build.

Remember, it's a test build. Make a backup of your important stuff.

Suniti Bhushan Datta

Hello,
    Just to confirm that I tried the Luminar 4.3.0 (6886) build and it works for me. I've started it twice and done some basic edits to an image, to test it.

As suggested, when prompted, I upgraded from 4.2 to 4.3 (6175). I then replaced the files from the extracted .zip folder into the original Luminar folder in the program files.

So far, so good. Fingers crossed.

Richard M-W

I followed the instructions that have been moved to the front of this set of comments and to my great surprise it worked. I ran Luminar 4.3.0 (6886) exe and Luminar opened and it continues to work for me. The "about function" says it is built 4.3 (6175). As I do not use the catalogue functionality, I just use Luminar are as stand-alone or as a plug-in to Adobe products. Therefore, I have not bothered with any of the catalogue instructions. So far so good.

Jean-Michel Nonglaire

October 20 new update = same problem over and over again: same boat... stuck on splash screen... And Im in the middle of a project. What a mess!. After reinstallation I'm not able start again. How did you test this app? This app is not a cheap. I still don't appreciate that I have to spend my limited time to do this!

Jean-Luc Larue

It works for me ! Installed from the screen Update, installation lasted....a very long time : 40 min !!! But it works ! Works also as plugin from LR !

I find Luminar 4.3 more faster than 4.2  !

Austin Miller

Hi Jean-Michel Nonglaire. Could you please share some details with us? Does the issue appeared immediately after the update? Have you tried reinstalling the app?

Banh Mi Cua Em

just a summary for whoever can not start the 4.3.

+ If you have ANTI Virus software or use Windows Defender, you can white list Luminar. This also speeds up the app.

+ Most of the crash is because you use AMD Chip or Ryzen. Uninstall ur AMD Driver, restart, download a new one and you will be all set.

+ If you use NVIDIA, choose NVIDIA as your main graphic for Luminar, restart and you will be all set.

+ Update your Windows to Latest Version, uninstall Luminar, restart, install it again after you installed your latest graphic card driver.

Hope this helps.

In my case, it was AMD driver, I had to uninstall the driver, then install new driver again, restart, and then install Luminar again.

Jean-Michel Nonglaire

what kind of details you want? be clear. I am tired of loosing money and time : I AM NOT YOUR TESTER !!!!! I am a professional in design and photography. Everything is updated in my computer. Problem comes from your side. I'm tired of your updates. Nothing good, only problems. I don't have time to waste on uninstalling drivers. I am not a computer scientist. Do YOUR JOB well. I NO LONGER WANT YOUR PROGRAMS. Give me back my money !!!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jean-Michel Nonglaire,

Please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support. We'd appreciate the opportunity to help resolve any issues you've encounter, but if you prefer to request a refund you can do so there as well.

Please sign in to leave a comment.