Luminar 4 wont launch after 4.3.0 update

Answered

Comments

240 comments

Ken Parnell

Update: I have reopened the 4.3 version several times now. The splash screen on my computer stays solid on the screen for 1-1.5 minutes before it opens. Note i am on a PC windows 10 with a ram 32 GB. Thanks Dave and Brynjar for the info. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Suniti Bhushan Datta

Update:
    4.3 opened the first couple of times and then refused to do so thereafter. After some experimenting, I’ve found that I need to repeat the original steps every time I have to start the software. It’s better than before, in as much that I can still use the software, but obviously less than ideal to have to restart my desktop every time I need to the edit images.
    Once open, it’s working as normal and I was able to edit and save my image.
    I hope some sort of a more permanent fix is sorted out by Skylum, soon.

Banh Mi DSLR101

Ryzen 7 4800H + RTX 2060

After updated to 4.3 stuck forever. THIS IS SUCK.

Austin Miller

Hi!

Let's try the following. Please turn off all the anti-virus software that you have on your PC.

Then, please try reinstalling the app in the following way:

1. Go to “Apps and Features” by right click on the Start button;
    2. Find Luminar there and click [Uninstall] (you can also uninstall from the Control Panel);
    3. Type %appdata% in Search (folder Roaming should open);
    4. Find the folder “Luminar 4” and delete it (it deletes your license for Luminar 4 too. Please, note that your Custom and downloaded Looks will be removed, so make sure to save them somewhere);
    5. Go to Pictures and rename the folder called Luminar 4 Catalog (if you have your Catalog anywhere else, find it, and rename it).
    6. Install the app once again and launch it: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline.exe
    7. Choose to Create a New Catalog and add a small folder with images or a single image for editing. 

Here is the video tutorial that may also be helpful: https://www.loom.com/share/5d502d94f9ef43888ae2f4476dbd6333

Do not turn on the anti-virus during the reinstallation!

Then, if you're still unable to launch Luminar, please try launching Luminar in Compatibility Mode:

1. Go to C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4 and right-click Luminar 4.exe file. 
    2. Go to Properties > Compatibility.
    3. Enable 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8' checkbox (see the screenshot: http://prntscr.com/tka660 ) 
    4. Press 'Ok' and try to launch Luminar via right-click > Run as Administrator. 

Then, please remove your current catalog:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\%username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.

Here is the video tutorial that may also be helpfulhttps://www.loom.com/share/ed8511d260a44d9dab3b76080e818964  

Let us know how it goes.

Josip Rosandic

I followed these steps and still couldn't start, not even for the first time.

BUT

Then I started in compatibility mode for Win 8 and I UNCHECKED run as administrator button (it was on by default) and for now Luminar starts normally. 

Weird stuff indeed.

Josip Rosandic

Retested day after, still starts...

Margaret Bright

Hi Josip,

I hope this issue does not occur for you again.

And thank you for sharing the solution that helped you! This will be very useful for our investigation of this issue and may help others.

roy bere

I've been battling this issue for quite some tim, tried all sorts ,compatibility mode For windows 8. nothing seemed to work.. I turned off avast protection sheilds for 10mins  and to my suprise everything worked :)

Banh Mi DSLR101

I made it start again by "uninstall AMD Graphic Driver" , then go to Device Manager, delete the AMD Monitor / Graphic.

Then download the new AMD Auto Detect tools again, install it again, and it started again.

Cody Frey

Been dealing with this lunimar 4.3 not opening for a few weeks now. Sadly had to go back to adobe. Maybe they can release a new update or just give us 4.2 back as 4.3 is clearly a bust.

jaap polak

it's  not working, the program hangs, I asked my money back when I can not start the program.

gr.jaap

Shaun Clapham

I think its fair to say everyone should ask for their money back..  This software has not worked in months now..  It is not fair to everyone.

Josip Rosandic

Shaun try my solution, it still runs fine for me.

Also, someone mentioned running Avast... I run Avast Premium as well at it seems it's not the issue for me...

Ken Parnell

I have been running my 4.3 version daily for the past 12 days with no issues, On average it takes 60-80 secs to fully open when activated.

Mikael Kehler

My version worked only some hours. Installed it yesterday evening and this morning it's stuck again at the splash screen. 

Mikael Kehler

Back to 4.2

Mike Phillips

Can support give us an update as to this problem? It's been weeks now, and there hasn't been any news, just updates on possible work-arounds.

For the most part, I am happy to continue working with 4.2. But being asked to update every time I start the program constantly reminds me of the problem. I am surprised the update wasn't pulled until the bug has been fixed. All this is compounded by the constant adverts on Facebook asking for me to become an ambassador by recommending Luminar to my friends!

Are these bugs being looked at, or is the group of users with problems too small to warrant spending dev time? Thanks.

Steve Daggar

Don't want to be a whinger, but.......while 4.2 works it is awfully slow to launch. Usually 2 to 3mins

Jean-Luc Larue

I have the problem since update in July.

I contacted Skylum support, and received the "standard solutions" not working in my case !

In my mail, I said that I have already tried all the solutions, but I received I think a "routine mail"

I send back another mail to Skylum support, I said that I know at least three photographers with the same problem, none of them will contact Skylum because, Skylum offered no real solution, All think that contacting Skylum is a waste of time, all have tried all kind of "solutions".

Of the three, one has already deleted Luminar, the 2 others reinstalled 4.2 ! None of us will buy Luminar 5 !!!!

I think that more users are affected by the problem, but few contact Skylum because a lot of reasons, I think Luminar underestimate this ! That's why they don't communicate about the problem !

Helena Carter

Hi Mike Phillips, Jean-Luc Larue and others,

Please, accept our apologies for the inconvenience you're facing. I know how frustrating it is. Our developers are currently working around the clock to get this resolved, however, as for now, there's no ETA for the update. We will keep you posted.

If you'd rather go with a refund, that's also an option, you can request it via Support Contact form:

https://skylum.com/support

Also, there's one more solution that helped many customers who encountered the same issue: update antivirus software. Please, kindly try that and let us know the outcome.

Jean-Luc Larue

Hi Helena,

Thanks for reply,

I have Bitdefender Total Security and this software is totaly up to date ! 

I check and Bitdefender don't interfere with Luminar !

I don't want a refund, I can understand that Skylum is facing a big problem ! But, please communicate about it ! 

roy bere

I've been pulling my hair out over this program for ages now {weeks} tried all sorts of suggestions . My last attempt was to turn off my antivirus alltogether ...not the best thing to do ,however it took a while and then worked fine. Not ideal as this is what I have to do each day before it will work. Yes i've added exceptions but that didn't work. Please make this software usable for all of us.

jaap polak

oke'.

This was send to me a few days ago and I must say. It works by me and give a solution. Sometimes I must click the plugin a few times and then suddenly it works,  I use it now for a few days , so I don't know of this is the solution. i hope so. But i know for sure this program needs a good update.

First, please try the following solution:

Please make sure to do that for all the security software you have on your computer. A great number of customers have already reported that it helps.  Also, please specify which antivirus software you're using

If the issue remains, please download Process Explorer via the link below and kill all processes related to your antivirus software:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer 

If you're still unable to launch Luminar, please try launching Luminar in Compatibility Mode:

1. Go to C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4 and right-click Luminar 4.exe file. 
    2. Go to Properties > Compatibility.
    3. Enable 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8' checkbox (see the screenshot: http://prntscr.com/tka660 ) 
    4. Press 'Ok' and try to launch Luminar. 

Please let us know how it goes. 

regard Jaap

roy bere

Thanks for your feedback Jaap. I have tried all the above  and nothing worked exept turning off the antivirus then reloading luminar then after a while it will work. this I have to do each morning to get it to work.I have various editing programs. Never ever had such a buggy program. I'm not alone and may others have the same issues. I hope that theere will be a fix soon . As it is I cannot recoment this program. I lok forward to a fix for  this product as a lot of members are hoping for

Joris Mak

Didn't use Luminar (3) for quite some time. Took advantage of the 50,- flash sale for Luminar4... regretting it already (just like I regret getting Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3... why do I keep coming back to see if things have changed....).

Windows 10:

Anyway, this is a _fresh_ install of Luminar 4. No previous version installed. I download the installer and run it. When I launch the app it needs to be activated, so I enter the details. Then it wants to create a new catalog which I accept the default location for.

The app starts and I see the interface, and click away the tutorial. I close it, thinking 'I will try this out later'.

So a few days later I start the app, and it hangs on the splash screen and does nothing. I have to - eventually - go into the Task manager to kill it.

Removing the whole 'Luminar 4 Catalog' folder and starting again: It displays a message (quickly) about not being able to find the catalog and to create a new one or pick another one. I click 'create new', accept the default location and the app launches again!

I click away the tutorial - again - and close the app, and then try to relaunch it.

_it hangs on the splash screen again_. A newly, freshly created _empty_ catalog and it just doesn't start.

In the cataog folder, there is a 'PreviewCache' folder with 'cache_db.db' file in it. Deleting this causes the file to be recreated, but the app still hangs on the splash screen.

Removing the entire 'CacheDocuments' folder makes the app start up!

So I thought I retry it: Launch again -> hang, delete 'CacheDocuments' and relaunch -> hang again.

Back to the drawing board :(.

Give it another try; Delete both the 'PreviewCache' and the 'CacheDocuments' folder -> app launches.

Delete them both again and try relaunching: app launches againand again, and again and again...

So @Skylum: _Reading_ the initial cache from a catalog seems to hang. Actually creating a new (empty) cache from scratch seems to work OK.

I expect a 4.3.1 shortly... (lol).

Joris Mak

Ok, I contacted support with basically the same message.

they got to me within a day that it is most of the times anti-virus related (on Windows 10 at least).

So I added the whole C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4 folder to the exceptions in Windows Defender, and it started!

Before I did this, starting Luminar 4 as Administrator also made it start, and like I said before removing the two cache folders from the catalog also made it start.

At least adding the exception to Windows Defender isn't something you have to do every time again, so now it starts normally.

I do think it's very weird though. Specially since it starts OK as Administrator without having any exceptions.

Mike Phillips

Hi Helena,

I don't particularly want a refund, as when I am able to use Luminar I thoroughly enjoy it. I was looking forward to the speed increase promised with version 4.3.

I again tried all of the suggestions today, and have managed to get the software to run once or twice, but inconsistently, so have resorted to putting 4.2 back from a backup.

I have just sent a mail to support for confirmation that this bug will eventually get fixed, as I see the development teams attention is now focused on Luminar AI. I have also asked them as to whether this new version will have this bug fixed.

I have been a user of Luminar since version 2018, and have upgraded each time a new version has come out., I would like to upgrade again to AI, but I would like to know that this would be useable without the current problems those on here have been having.

As a suggestion, wouldn't it be an idea if you used some of us as beta testers?

Thanks

Margaret Bright

Hi Mike,

Please note that our team is still working on the permanent solution for the issue you have encountered. We still plan to support Luminar 4 with performance and compatibility updates for another year. And we will make sure to implement a fix for this issue once it is available. 

As for your request regarding the beta-testing, could you please submit this as a request to our support team? In the meantime, we'd love to keep you as involved as possible. If you pre-order Luminar AI now, you will be able to join Luminar AI Insiders program for more exclusive content. You'll also be the first to get all the latest news and some sneak-peeks. The invitation comes as a separate email from Luminar AI Insiders address right after your purchase is completed. 

Richard M-W

Hi

I have been waiting for this to be fixed, the downside from your point of view is that I have discovered "other software", I note from the above that you are prepared to support Luminar 4 another year. My position is quite simple, please get Luminar 4 it’s the best advert you can produce for people spending money on Luminar AI. Regrettably, if you are unable to fix Luminar 4, I have no incentive to buy Luminar AI.

I really hope you managed to fix Luminar 4 as I intrinsically like your software. But no fix will result in no further investment by me in your products. Please could you give me an estimate of the date on which this will be fixed?

Geoff Stokes

Has anybody tried the method listed here https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009620939  to over come the start up issues..........interested to see what the success rate has been ?

Please sign in to leave a comment.