Luminar 4 wont launch after 4.3.0 update

Answered

Comments

240 comments

Steve Daggar

Torbjørn Rasmussen impossible to do step3, if step2 never manages to get past trying to launch the splash screen

Comment actions Permalink
    Jean-Michel Nonglaire

all this is unacceptable. I paid for a license, if it doesn't work, it's not up to me to find the solution. I am not your beta tester. It's up to Skylum to test updates before uploading them, not us. Now because of your mistakes I'm stuck. I have loads of photos to edit, I am losing clients and a lot of money. Will you pay me back me for everything I lost? I only use official versions, all my programs are up to date on my computer including windows 10. I use Photoshop. The "Luminar 4" filter does not start. Do something quick. Thank you

Shaun Clapham

The only thing I can think of is they are not operating like normal.  And now there is lack of support for the product.  I've never purchased an app that doesn't work, and cannot believe the lack of support.  Skylum, whats really going on? 

Elena Blum

Hi Everyone,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying. We're currently receiving quite a great number of requests so it may take a bit longer than usual for us to get back to you.

I understand how important for you is to have Luminar up and running, and we do our best to help you with that. 

Do I understand you right that the app freezes on the splash screen? Could you kindly let me know which exact solutions you've tried so far? 

Please contact our support team and we will do our best to assist you https://skylum.com/support

Desmond Nyambayo

Mine launches but does not do anything else; all the functions are unavailable including the plugins so you can't use it in Photoshop and you can't use it as a stand alone program either. I have tried reinstalling it; running as an admin; nothing seems to work. 

Mr specs are as follows;

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, ASUS VP28U on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

Ram - 48 GB

Steve Daggar

Tried 1 last thing. Uninstalled 4.2, cleaned registry, renamed catalog, backup up & deleted appdata. Installed offline 4.3 as admin, right clicked 4.3 exe and chose Troubleshoot Compatibility, tried autofix compatibility - splash screen still hangs, tried running Win8 compatibility mode - splash screen still hangs, tried WinVista compatibility mode - splash screen still hangs. I give up

roy bere

i have tried lots of suggestions people have mentioned on here ,one  worked but not for long . Now left with Luninar 4 that doesn't work fails to load.. Luminar 3 works a treat  ;but lacks any of the latest features of the 4.3 version. I understand the tech people are trying to solve this issue. Would help to know whether they are making any headway with this issue ?

sam_i_am64

Can someone from Skylum tell us what's happening?.

Shaun Clapham

I would suggest blow them
    Up on social media and call them out for selling a application when they know it doesn’t work. You would think they would stop or resolve the issue at hand? maybe they have gone under..

Randy Seales

I can Launch 4.3 as a standalone and from Lightroom it will launch after right clicking "edit in" but it will no longer launch from Photoshop which is where I usually us it.

Jean-Luc Larue

19 days that the 4.3 Update is a problem ! Skylum, is there anybody out there ? No news ?

Mike Phillips

What I can't understand is why the update hasn't been pulled, and is actively advertised on social media?

sam_i_am64

I got the 4.3 working .

1. Uninstall Luminar 4.

2. Rename Catalog.

3. Install Luminar 4.2.

4. Then you will be asked to create Catalog . Don't do it .

5. Update to latest version.

6. Start Luminar 4.3 and create new Catalog.

So far no trouble.

Anastasia Davis

Hi guys! we are sorry to hear about your experience. We are aware of the issue on some devices. Our technical department is working on it. Nevertheless, I would recommend you reach our support team directly so we could track your particular case. It might take us a little bit longer to reply since we have a great number of incoming emails. Nevertheless, we are doing our best to reply asap.

Ian Shipley

Could you at least put the previous version up for download so we can get some work done? 

Ken Parnell

until they get the 4.3 version operating correctly. I removed Luminar 4 from my hard drive. Then used this link to install 4.2. which it successfully load and operates the 4.2 like before, just bypass when it asked to update. press remind me later.

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_420.exe I did this two weeks ago when all this updated trouble started. and have been using the 4.2 version successfully since.

Ian Shipley

Thank you Ken Parnell

Darren Denman

This is a joke.  I'm quite proficient at troubleshooting Windows programs and this update has been a waste of time.  I got it to work ONCE by shutting off my Bitdefender Shield.  Once.

None of your fixes have fixed anything.  I'm also edging towards asking for my money back for the program and add-on packs I've purchased.

Skylum has had enough time to come up with an updated update, where is it?

F-M Mellbin

Tried the suggested remedies. No luck. Luminar 4 just refuses to start and is stuck on the splash screen. Have a totally new WIN 10 PC installation with very few other programmes installed. So its a 100% Skylum Softeware issue. Stunned that after a month its still unresolved and that no one from Skylum is updating the info here. Thanks to the members who have offered links to the offline 4.2 version. Shame on Skylum not to offer this solution themselves.

Tracy Adams

Similar problem as everyone else. 

Using Luminar 4.3 on Macbook Pro 16, OS 10.15.6, latest Photoshop. Luminar plugin launches and I can apply and change effects, but any attempt to save changes results in Luminar hanging while processing. Plugins have been uninstalled, system restarted, and then plugins reinstalled. Same problem. 

Tracy Adams

After further experimentation in Photoshop on my Macbook Pro 16", I have discovered that Luminar will process an image as long as I don't add an adjustment layer within Luminar. If I add an adjustment layer it will hang while processing.

Wim Patry

Tracy Adams : that is not totally true..... I think it depends on the looks you apply.  I can add an adjustment layer with a certain look and Luminar will process it.....  But with some looks it will hang.

I suspect that some looks are not compatible with the new Luminar 4.3.0 release.

I would like to go back to the previous luminar release I had before upgrading, but it seems difficult to obtain the full offline installer of that version.....

Dave Walpole

Luminar 4.3.0 (6175)

For Win10 users, this worked for me. After debugging a dump of the executable, I noticed it was stuck in a wait loop and I believe the issue is with a Windows system file named: win32u.dll

My solution was to right click the Luminar 4 desktop shortcut and choose Troubleshoot Compatibility > Troubleshoot Program > tick the "Program worked in earlier versions...." > select Windows 8 then "Test the Program". It gave a message "Database needs migrating" but then Tada! It opened! :)

I hope this helps someone

Cheers folks

Brynjar Gudmundsson

I did what Dave Walpole did and I can confirm at that did worked!! for me with one different move. After following Daves instructions step by step deicide to restart after waiting minute or to for the program to open.... After restarting everything worked fine and has been working fine last to days. Thank you Dave Walpole 👍👍

Ed vE

Indeed a well-functioning solution given by Dave Walpole. I can also conform that. Even as plug-in from LR (6).

Great! :-) 

Steve Daggar

tried compatibility mode solution a couple of times, but launch continues to hang

Ken Parnell

I also did what Dave Walpole suggested, I also had to restart my computer to make it work just like Brynjar Gudmundsson had to. 

F-M Mellbin

Tried to duplicate the suggestion given by Dave Walpole. Started by updating to 4.3.0 newest version. However, this time Lunminar started normally to my big surprise. So maybe Dave has a magical touch! Hope I can continue opening it... :-). Will update if it was a one-off lucky strike.

Suniti Bhushan Datta

Dave Walpole and Brynjar Gudmundsson, you guys are stars!!
    I followed your suggestions and it finally worked!
    It initially got stuck on the splash screen, so I restarted my desktop as suggested, and then started the programme again. I got a message saying: 'database migration needed', on which I clicked 'okay'. And voila, it now works! (And I hope it continues to do so!)
    Thank you ever so much!

Please sign in to leave a comment.