Luminar 4 wont launch after 4.3.0 update

Answered

Comments

240 comments

Craig Scott

Ive installed, uninstalled etc etc, can export file to luminar to edit in luminar then can't transfer back! checked all and changed setting as per luminar support! 4.2 was working great! Now 3 days behind in work....... Surly this can be fixed with so many people with the same problem...... Kirk Osborn, Helena Carter. We are all paying for an un-usable service! That worked great at 4.2.......

Comment actions Permalink
    Luiz Paulo

As someone who has been dealing with IT since the beginning of the 80's I've been through many issues like this and although I do not have any liaison with Skylum other than being a user of Luminar, nor do I have received any request from them to do it, I would like to say some words in regards what we and they are facing right now with all this imbroglio.

First and foremost it is not that unusual that a software update causes some havoc. It is not desirable nor should be common but it happens, and much more than someone not involved in IT can imagine.

Windows operating system upgrades, for instance, are well known as big havoc creators most of the time when there is a new release. Most don't feel it because domestic users normally don't exercise the most advanced features of Windows but just ask someone who provides support on a daily basis for a company and you will hear many horror stories.

Additionally, just google "windows updates problems" and you will receive 360 million items... This happens because Microsoft opted since the beginning of Windows to be an open environment where different hardware and software, from different manufacturers, are allowed to interact with the operating system. Windows has a kernel that is interfaced with hardware drivers (pieces of software that act as a "translator"), and that software may also have bugs. The windows kernel also interfaces with the operating system applications like, for instance, file explorer, spooler, etc. also containing bugs,

Many complex pieces of hardware and software from different manufacturers and developers makes it almost impossible to not break something when an upgrade happens. We can verify it just by reading the forum topic with some sailing it through with no issues, some half ok, and some dead-on water (myself included in this last one).

There are ways to minimize (never eliminate) issues like we are having. Other than the normal testing done by the developers a beta program is the most efficient one. THE software is distributed to a large number of users with different hardware and software in their systems to simulate real life. As large and lengthy it is the beta the more stable a new release of the software will be.

Problem is that beta testing is time and money consuming. When you do a beta the developers must interact with persons, normally volunteers,  composed of different levels of usage and knowledge delaying the new release and in consequence the cost of the software, and as a norm, we users don't like to pay more for our programs. A zero-defect complex software is not only impossible but would be also unpayable...it is something we have to be used to but not complacent.

From the forum participation it seems to me that Skylum is doing the best they can to fix the problem but the issue should not be a very evident one (sometimes even more than one what makes it even harder) and to find, fix it, test and release takes time, more than we want to wait and I'm quite sure more than Skylum wants too.

What we may do now, if we can and have time to,  is try to help them documenting what is happening and giving as much information we can to their support using the links published by them. 

It is understandable that some of us, mostly the ones using it professionally, are upset with the problems but, believe me, if you need infallible software upgrades better get back to use a typewriter and a calculator. It is the same as the list of side effects from a medication.

One last piece of advice for those who have deadlines to beat... if your system is working fine do not try an upgrade before concluding your work, unless you have a way to restore it to pre-upgrade quickly. Also, check the net for some upgrade results before you try it ( I didn't do this time), and if the results are not good keep your present version and wait until the problems are solved.

This, of course, does not exempt the developer's responsibility in deploying software free of problems and I hope the next releases will be better tested than this one.

Let's hope this can be fixed quickly.

Speed

Ian Shipley

This issue is not answered! This is a huge problem and needs to corrected without having to perform ridiculous deletes and re-installs. 

Ric Holland

This issue is not answered! This is a huge problem and needs to corrected without having to perform ridiculous deletes and re-installs. 

So true.

I’m actually a Mac user and the issues are the same. All that Skylum seems to come back with are requests for users to do time-consuming tests and submit crash logs and more to them.

I can’t speak for others, but for my part I buy software ready to use and is fit for purpose, not something where I have to do my own coding to even get it to start then see it crash.

This whole thing is becoming an embarrassment and Luminar is now looking like a decidedly unprofessional product with poor levels of service from the developer.

Shaun Clapham

How can a fix take this long to deliver?  If it was a simple as allowing in firewall we would have a fix.  Please provide some details, and refund everyone for the product simply doesn't work. 

Helga Rowles

Hi everyone,

We have discovered that in most cases, the splash screen issue is related to antivirus software. We're still investigating what can be done on our end to fix this.

In the meantime, please try disabling all the security software you have on your computer.

Besides, please download Process Explorer via the link below and kill all processes related to your antivirus software:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Once we have any news, we will update this post.

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009453700-Luminar-4-hangs-on-the-splash-screen-after-the-update-solutions?page=3#community_comment_360002027500 

Steve Daggar

I disabled Kaspersky, installed 4.3 as admin & had Procesexp running during install and launch attempt.  Killed ksde.exe & ksdeui.exe, but new processes spawned as soon as they were killed. Tried killing avp.exe & avpui.exe but even running processexp as admin, received permission error trying to kill them & Luminar 4.3 splash screen hung as usual. Also tried setting Luminar to run Win8 compatibility mode which worked for some people, but my splash screen still hangs

so once again, back to 4.2

Suniti Bhushan Datta

This is a bit like saying: "Yes, we screwed up with the update, but actually the problem is your computer".
    Not very helpful.

L4.2 was working fine without all these interventions.

Helga Rowles

Hi Suniti, we're looking for a way to fix the issue on our end. Since the solution is yet to be found, the only thing we can do now is to share what has helped other customers who were encountering the same issue. Please, let me assure you that resolving this issue is our main priority right now.

Ed vE

Hi Helga,
    When using ProcessMonitor (from sysinternals) I see that sometimes tcp connections seem to be made (?). Currently, Luminar seems to function reasonably well, also in combination with Lightroom (v6). As an antivirus I use Eset and it makes no difference whether it is active or not. However, the virtual memory has been expanded manually as you previously suggested.

See also the tcp connection:
    17:24:35,5198833 Luminar 4.exe 10720 TCP Send PC01.home:51201 -> static.236.18.243.136.clients.your-server.de:https SUCCESS Length: 182, startime: 232529, endtime: 232531, seqnum: 0, connid: 0

Maybe it will help.

Ed.

Jean-Luc Larue

Same problem for me, today I launch the update for 4.3, Luminar dont launch !!!!! Start screen running and that's all tried all solution read here, nothing works !!!!!

Tried to reinstall 4.2, nothing !!! I have allways the screen of 4.3 !!!!

Shaun Clapham

Yea I dont understand how they can sell a product that doesn't work.  Theres a ton of people that are affected, but they dont want to admit it.  Its really bizarre.

Jose Plaza

To be fair with Skylum, the problem is not Luminar 4.3 by itself, but the piece of software (e.g. antivirus) each owner has, or the rights they have on their own computer.

I run an ASUS laptop with Windows 10 (1909 version) with Norton antivirus and admin rights. I HAVE HAD ZERO PROBLEMS with the update or the installation that were very fast, and now it is working well ( a little bit slow, but well).

Even Windows updates had lately a lot of problems (I am still waiting to install 2004 version), some of then related to some antivirus that does not allow to install programs with some specific admin rights or accessing to some operating system folders.

Even being probably a problem with other software, Skylum is trying to solve it in its side, but warranting the same behaviour with all antivirus variants can be a nightmare.

I can understand the frustration (e.g.I hate windows updates, that provide new functionality nobody wants and break functions really needed as the search function in explorer), but blaming Skylum and not helping them to find a solution is useless.

But we are free to express our feelings and hopes ...

Luiz Paulo

Jose Plaza, almost the same I've posted a couple of days ago... A zero-defect software is unattainable and, if exists, too expensive. 

I also think that we should help as much as we can...didn't we buy the software? We won't do it if we didn't like and use it for work or hobby.

But I do also think that Skylum should be more careful with the releases. An expanded beta would help a lot... as per what I see it wasn't done or used  a very restricted number of testers... Also, first thing you do when you get to an error like this is to publish immediately a way to uninstall and restore the previous working version and it seems not to be the case right after the problem was identified. Some here had deliverables that couldn't be completed.

I will keep using and upgrading Luminar as it is one of the best and most intuitive editor. Pairing it with Lightroom and Photoshop is a great match. This hicup will go away and it will help making my photos look better.

Cheers

Steve Daggar

it would be interesting to know if the issue is only affecting those of us on Win10 2004

Shaun Clapham

Correct, Jose your not on the current build on windows.  And laminar has to work with windows defender for thats out of the box.   Also what version of Photoshop are you running?  

Shaun Clapham

***update****

Want to add, just to waste more of my time, I tried the install on my laptop.  Surface pro, current 2004 build, no antivirus default defender, current update to Photoshop and same thing.  The stand alone app cant even add a single image, the plugins option is greyed out.  plugin WHICH i NEED MOST DOES NOT LAUNCH.  WHAT WORKS??

100% on you guys.  When are you guys providing a update?

NEW RECORDING

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_k6eQDVYuOuCBgmCFFNUyw9_dV_vRNXh/view

Ric Holland

This is not a Windows exclusive problem.

I’m a Mac user and there are a number of Mac threads in the Skylum Community which report Luminar 4.3 start-up and crash issues. With respect to those who have posted here regarding Windows updates and Defender, these do not exist in the Mac environment. Macs tend to not have anti-virus programs running in the background.

Luminar 4.2 was working fine but something - unidentifiable it seems - has occurred in the 4.3 update.

There’s a suggestion that we should assist Skylum as it’s not their fault. I’ve sent crash and events reports directly to Support, so have other Mac users, but because Skylum cannot replicate the issues in their own labs, they’re blaming the customer.

Shaun Clapham

If they are aware of the issue at this scale, and continue to sell the product knowing it doesn't function, that is unlawful business practices.  

Jean-Luc Larue

News : I delete manually Luminar 4, manually delete reférence to Luminar 4 in the registry, reinstall 4.2 and it works, 4.2 proposed  me to update to 4.3, NO !!! Seems to bug at 28 % of installation, when I try REPAIR, it begin at 28 % ! But crashes !

Stephen Ban

Shaun, your video is 3 minutes of a Google image search page for mammoths. 

Jose Plaza

Shaun Clapham,

My Luminar 4.3 installed flawlessly and it starts/works correctly, so, you cannot argue that they are delivering a program that does not work. There are other reasons for the failures that have to be investigated.

And you are right, I am not in windows 10 2004 version because it is really so buggy that even Microsoft has stopped the release for some computers based in the telemetry data they obtain (without permission by the way). This version was released in May, and today there are a lot of bugs still under investigation and unresolved. The telemetry data (that Skylum does not have) is what skylum is asking us to investigate the problem. 

If a company as Microsoft has all these problems, even having thousands of employees and pre-release beta testers with one year in advance of the delivery, we should have more patient with companies as Skylum and provide the necessary data required for the investigation.

I went to 4.3 without waiting because I had a problem with the EXIF data not being saved in 4.2  (this is an actual problem caused by skylum coders that I complained about it). They heard  the complain and it was solved. Maybe I am lucky, but if the program works for me (and probably for more people not writing here) the program as a picture retouching software is OK. So the problem probably is with something not allowing the program to run (antivirus SW?) or a problem with folder permissions.

As Luiz Paulo has written, the actual software is so complex because it has to work in very different combinations of operating systems, other SW or even different hardware configuration, but even with that, I have the program running in two different computers (one laptop and one desktop), having only in common that they are in Windows 10 1909 version and having Norton antivirus, the rest is completely different (hardware an drivers).

I remember reading in this forum that Skylum discovered a problem caused by a very specific driver (I never heard about it), that probably no too many people used, so they are proactive looking for the origin of the problems, but as in this case, the information people provide to them is crucial, even if for you seem to be irrelevant.

So please, be positive, and try to help them just for them be able to help you.

Shaun Clapham

So here it is, it simply doesn't work with creative cloud.  Skylums response below.

Regrettably, at this time, Luminar cannot be integrated with the Creative Cloud versions. It works only with the Classic ones. 

On Mac OS you can use Luminar 4 as a plugin for Lightroom (starting from version 4), Photoshop (from version CS5), Photoshop Elements (from version 13), Apple Photos, and Aperture.

On Windows you can use Luminar 4 as a plugin for Lightroom (starting from version 4), Photoshop Elements (from version 13) and Photoshop (from version CS5).

You can check more info about Luminar as a plugin here: https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/using-luminar-with-other-software 

Luminar 4 can also be used as a standalone. 

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

Here at my old system i950, the 4.3.0 can run without any issues.

( Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
    Mainboard: Intel DX58SO2 Extreme Series*1
    Video Card: ATI Radeon RX470 4GB Series (Digital Alliance DA DXRX 470 OC 4GB) (Adrenalin 20.5.1 (Release 5/25/2020)
    RAM: 12GB
    *1 Yes, this is the old mainboard - still PCIe2 - so my ATI Radeon RX470, which actually made for PCIe3, might not yet running full power.

While on other system, ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop unable to run, so I have revert back to 4.2.

Detail spec of ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM 
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
    Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 27.20.100.8425)
    Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 451.77)
    RAM: 16GB
    Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

Philip Opdebeeck

I managed to run the 4.3 as a PS 2020 plugin, it runs, but it is not stable, really not. I don't use luminar that often, but it may be better to switch back to 4.2, since the 4.3 is no where near as stable as the 4.2.

Shaun Clapham

********************************UPDATE**************************************

I got it to work, it is extremely buggy, jittery, laggy, but it launches.  I tested on 1909 and 2004 builds of windows.  Here is the issue:

The normal installer has permission issues.  It would add a shortcut to desktop with a shield indicating administrator rights were needed.  My account is a admin account and no matter what it would not get the permissions needed to launch from photoshop.  Use the offline installer avoid the one from your account....

The OFFLINE installer worked.  After install I did right click and run as admin and uninstall, closed the app, opened the app, run as admin and installed the plugin. THEN REBOOT.  After, it works in Photoshop but buggy. Never experiencing anything like this in my life.  

I have no clue why Skylum via email, and correspondence on Instagram stated it doesn't work with creative cloud.

Here is the email from them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rki896tap9m0ls/skylum.jpg?dl=0

Shaun Clapham

In case needed, here is the offline installer provided from Skylum.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6a4530wd78ibej/Luminar4Setup_offline.exe?dl=0

Wim Patry

luminar updated to 4.3.0 and launched as plugin in PS.

But once I click on the apply button to leave luminar plugin, it stays in the plugin ... does not return to PS.

Already lost my work 3 times to try to solve it.

Any suggestions?

I figured out it is one of the looks I apply in luminar which make to turn it around....
    are these looks also updated?

and where can I find previous stand-alone installations of luminar?

Andrzej Kijak

after my 3 days fight with this update , start working but :

1. used as win 8, and administrator only 

2. started very slow about 1min  (new PC  razen 7, 32gb RAM , ssd ) windows started 12sec

3. Processor used show more as 50% and about 7gb RAM , just run not working on it 

4. PS cc plugin doesn't work 

Kirk Osborn

Please proceed with the following steps one more time and don't forget to reboot your computer on step 5 (it is extremely important for the correct installation of the new plugin):

1. Make sure that Photoshop is not running.
    2. Open Luminar.
    3. Click File > Install Plugins...
    4. Click 'Uninstall' next to the Photoshop icon.
    5. Restart your PC
    6. Open Luminar.
    7. Click File > Install Plugins...
    8. Click 'Install' next to Photoshop.

Let us know how it goes.

Please sign in to leave a comment.