Luminar 4 wont launch after 4.3.0 update

Answered

Comments

240 comments

Przemysław Wiktorczyk

Robin Muir I got only info "database required upgrade" or similar and 4.2 started properly :)

Comment actions Permalink
    Reece Kelly

What is weird, is that I have a desktop and laptop, desktop was fine and said there was a plugin update for photoshop and it works fine.

The laptop didn't update the plugin and luminar is not opening up via photoshop, you can't uninstall the plugin either, just resets and nothing has changed, hopefully this will be sorted soon!

I did try go back to 4.2 and it said database failed to open.

Robin Muir

Reece Kelly. Try the link below. It solved the database issue for me and 4.2 is working perfectly.

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360007734900-Lumirnar-4-2-ugraded-database-error-problem

Alex Young

Updated to 4.3 this morning and it crashes at startup every time. I have uninstalled/reinstalled, deleted crash cache files, tried restoring from a previous backup without luck. Anyway to go back to 4.2? What a mess.

Robin Muir

Alex Young, this is a link to 4.2 (At least is was this morning - Skylum posted links they said were 4.3 but were actually 4.3):

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_420.exe

Once you have installed 4.2 you might get a database error message, in which case follow the link below.

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360007734900-Lumirnar-4-2-ugraded-database-error-problem

This worked for me and 4.2 is running perfectly.

Luiz Paulo

Upgraded this morning and had the same issue... freezing at splash screen. I'm an experienced IT person and I have a powerhouse computer with a Core I9 Extreme, 64Gb memory and a 1080Ti, NVME boot drive and a 2TB Sansumg SSD...so it shouldn't be a hardware issue. I uninstalled the version, cleaned the register, installed agains as administrator to no avail. So I decided to uninstall, download 4.2 using Przemysław Wiktorczyk  link (thanks for it Sir !), installed 4.2 and all is working fine.

Even being an experienced IT person I just forget doing the most important before an update... check the net... It would prevent me to losing hours trying to make version 4.3 runs. As a system analyst I learned the importance of beta testing and I'm quite sure this have been overlooked by Skylum due to the number of installs having the issue (not a small qty of isolated cases).

Luminar is a great piece of software and I'm sure once the initial frustration is gone most of the irate ones here will get back to use it but Skylum should avoid to repeat the bad experience. It is bad to mess up once but it will be terrible mess up twice. And please, once you release an update please keep all your support on call since it is the most frustrating experience feeling abandoned when problem happens. Better put your heads out, admit it and find a work around. Many of us can survive some days without the tool but there are many here depending on it to deliver their work and need to have a fix, even a temporary one, right away.

Test, test, test and beta, beta, beta... use the community, quite sure many here would volunteer to help testing.

Keith New

So based on some else's suggestion in this thread, I uninstalled 4.3 and ran CC cleaner to clean up my registry. I then reinstalled 4.3 and it appears to be working. I say appears because it initially launched after my first install and crashed... Then I got hung up on the splash screen without the program ever launching. I will be editing some images late tomorrow and will repost it it fails to launch... But so far so good.

Dale Schilf

4.4.3.0 update working using these steps.

May try this, it worked for me.

1. Uninstall Luminar 4

2. Delete Luminar 4 Catalog or rename it. Might try just leaving it to.

3. Delete or rename Luminar 4 folder in this location - C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Roaming\Luminar 4

4. Reboot PC

4. Login to your Skylum account and download Luminar 4

5. Run the newly downloaded file that you got from your account. (run as Administrator)

Note: you will need to activate

Suniti Bhushan Datta

The updated (4.3) version isn't starting beyond the splash screen on my Windows desktop. I uninstalled the new version and downloaded the offline installer for the previous version and that's now not starting either, with a message saying, 'database opening failed'.

This is extremely frustrating, since I am dependent on this for my work, which is now held up.

Kate Williams

Suniti Bhushan Datta

To launch 4.2.0, please try the solution outlined here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360007734900/comments/360001515499  

I'm also leaving a link to yet another solution that helped one of our customers resolve the issue with 4.3.0: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009381959/comments/360002032159 

Suniti Bhushan Datta

So, 4.2 is working with the solution provided, but I'm still unable to work 4.3 because I can't access the config folder, and don't know about this to fiddle around.
    I'll just use the older version for now. But, you guys really need to sort this out.

Sanjay Kulkarni

In case you are using Windows 10:

After updating 4.2 to 4.3, execute i.e start 4.3.  In case the opening screen hangs, force close the program through Task Manager. Right click on the Luminar 4 desktop shortcut and click on "Troubleshoot Compatibility". Then click on "Try Recommended Settings". Then click on "Test Program". Luminar 4.3 will open with Windows 8 compatibility settings. Close the program and click on "Next" button. Then click on "Yes, save these settings for this program". Thereafter, Luminar 4.3 will function normally. 

For photoshop plug-in to work correctly, Start Luminar 4.3 and uninstall the photoshop plug-in through Luminar's menu option and then close the program.  Start Luminar 4.3 again and install the photoshop plug-in using Luminar's menu option and close the program. Hope this helps.

Daniel Poulin

Have followed instruction from Sanjay about using Windows 8 compatibility settings but out of luck Luminar 4.3 doesn't want to start. Unless Skylum provide us users an easy way of correcting the situation the only alternative seems to uninstall 4.3 and reinstall 4.2 which is not the option I had in mind when I clicked to upgrade to 4.3
    Feel a bit desapointed.....

Kate Williams

Hi Daniel,

Please make sure to try all of the solutions provided in the main post: 

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009453700-Luminar-4-hangs-on-the-splash-screen-after-the-update-solutions 

If the issue persists, please reach out to us at support@skylum.com and provide all the data requested in that post. 

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

Oh great...

the same issue as well with me after update to 4.3.0 (6175)

But stuck only in my ASUS ROG system.

In my other old Desktop PC i950, no issue.

Alun Davies

Well !! Brand new laptop and cant even repair Luminar 4.3 or even uninstall now.        

Greg Cherry

Twice in the past 48 hours, I installed Luminar 4, version 4.3 on my new Desktop. Each time it loaded well enough, but when trying to open, the fun stopped there. Luminar 4.3 will not open at all. Kind of like taking your new car home, smiling at it as you leave it in the driveway. Then, 2 hours later when you want to go out for a sunset drive, it will not start.....

Luminar 4.2 works perfectly on my laptop.....I avoid clicking my mouse when prompted to update to 4.3

Skylum, please get this fixed asap!

Alun Davies

Well, I hope this is sorted soon and what an absolute mess.   

Przemysław Wiktorczyk

Finally 4.3 working in my case. I installed 4.2 offline, which I provided in some post earlier. 
    Next I updated Luminar to 4.3. Of course in first start Luminar failed, but I set in properties "Windows 8 compatybility" and "run as administrator". It works on my PC and laptop.

In general thank you a lot for all your advices, and NOT THANKS to skylum support.

Steve Daggar

Przemysław Wiktorczyk does this fix only work as PS plugin or only standalone. Any functionality difference in Win8 compatibility mode

Przemysław Wiktorczyk

Steve Daggar regarding plugin I don't know, I'm using Luminar as separate application.
    I don't seen any difference in Win8 compatibility, but I didn't check all options :)

Steve Daggar

I only use Luminar as PS plugin so will hold off that fix & stick with 4.2 until Skylum come up with a patch

Bob Frewin

I finally got mine to run using the Widows 8 Compatibility solution provided by Sanjay-Kulkarni. Works stand alone and as a PS Plugin.
    As a stand alone it is a bit unstable and closed down a couple of times without warning. More reliable as a plugin though.
    I am surprised at the silence from Skylum though. Even an acknowledgement that there is a problem would be better than total silence.

Ed vE

Same as everyone else.. After installing 4.3, it only works once and then it crashes. Create new catalog brings no solutions. Back to 4.2.. Only by reboot of the system it will works fine...once...

Alun Davies

Hello all, Anybody got a working link to download 4.2

Brynjar Gudmundsson

Same as everyone else.. After installing 4.3, it only works once and then it crashes.

Create new catalog brings no solutions.

Tried to go back to 4.2 but it wont even work either

Now i my "brand new" computer wont even let me install version 4.2

Refund and back to ON1 i guess.....i have use 3 evenings now to find solution but cant afford more.....

amazing that there is no "plan b" from Skylum (clean backup install) 

SAD

Brynjar Gudmundsson

Przemyslaw.... I did try this one but it won't open... I get "database migrate needed"... Same error as 4.3....

Geoff Rech

OK. So Luminar splash screen just appears when trying to launch thru Photoshop, so I force close it, then Photoshop hangs and won't do anything, I'm about to loose over an hours work

Kate Williams

Hi everyone, 

I again would like to reassure everyone that our tech team is working on this case. 

Bob Frewin, please note that we've acknowledged the issue right when it appeared, we regularly monitor the threads dedicated to the issue in order to see which solutions prove to be helpful. 

We've also created a separate post where we welcome you to share the fixes that helped in your case and list the solutions and data that needs to be collected to get the issue sorted out permanently: 

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009453700-Luminar-4-hangs-on-the-splash-screen-after-the-update-solutions 

I also invite everyone to share which antivirus/firewall software you have on your computer.

According to our monitoring, one of the most frequent solutions is allowing Luminar through all your security software and if you have AVAST, switching the firewall to the private mode.  

If you have not submitted the data requested here, please do so. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.