Luminar 4 wont launch after 4.3.0 update

Answered

Comments

240 comments

Philip Opdebeeck

I don't know who Helena Carter is but she doesn't seem to care much

Comment actions Permalink
    Robin Muir

Thing is, Skylum would get a lot more respect and a lot fewer angry customers if they would just admit there is a problem and that they are working on a fix and in the meantime give us access to 4.2. Perhaps an apology for the inconvenience by way of some free filters. Instead, they are damaging their reputation and driving customers away to competitors.

Arpad Benedek

I had the same issue. I updated to 4.3.0 and the plugin did not start from Photoshop Elements. As a standalone it worked. But I could solve the issue by opening Luminar, going to File, then Install Plugins, then it showed me a list of the programs which use Luminar as plugin. Next to Photoshop Elements on the left it was written Unsinstall. I chose that. Than if you open Install Plugins again then you will see that Install appeared. Installed it and now it works as a plugin as well. Hope this helps.

Philip Opdebeeck

Ok, according to Arpad, I just uninstalled 4.3 (again), and installed it as "run as administrator" (right click and choose ""), 

launch solo 4.3, then go to file, then install plugins, I noticed that PS and LR where installed, I pressed uninstall on both, then reboot solo 4.3 again, go back to file, install plugins, then press install on PS (and or LR) and close solo 4.3 again

Then open PS, load a picture (I loaded a NEF through CR), then filter, then luminar (you know how to launch) and voila, it works

thanks Arpad, and no thanks to the skylum support

Andrew Maunder

Exactly the same issue. I cannot run as standalone nor as plugin. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it just hangs at the loading screen.

Philip Opdebeeck

Andrew, did you try to install run as admin?

Przemysław Wiktorczyk

Philip Opdebeeck not working in my case. Luminar is still not starting

Philip Opdebeeck

too bad :-(   , so it is still not solving the issue, where is skylum support in all this?

Chalermpol Ngamaroonchote

Hi guys,

I spent a couple of hours to debug the stuck screen as well. For me, it's caused by my antivirus (McAfee) that blocked both of Luminar executable itself and VC_redist.x64.

Disabled it for prove of concept and tweaking antivirus as need might help you :)

Przemysław Wiktorczyk

With antivirus didn't help in my case - I'm using avast

Andrew Maunder

@ Philip Opdebeeck

Yes, I've tried running as administrator, both to install and to run, no joy alas.

Ember Lighter

I was having the same hanging splash screen. What worked for me was to uninstall 4.3, use ccleaner to clean everything and fix registry if needed. I also uninstalled Avast. Ran the install and surprisingly it worked but without the antivirus program. The antivirus i found that doesn't seem to mess with Luminar 4.3 is Kaspersky Security Cloud Free. It's working fine now.

Calvin Mukumoto

Version 4.3  hangs at processing for me. Luminar is now useless for me.

John Strange

Worked fine for me, and I'm on slow bandwidth. I hope you all have it soon, it actually improved performance slightly (on my old, hardly up to spec, windows.)

Greg Fallon

I have the same issue. Like others here I found the only way to run the standalone app was to right-click and Run as Administrator. Then saw the prompt to migrate database - clicked OK. Closed down - but still same issue - will only move past the opening banner if running as administrator.

Tim Tyler

I knew I should have finished my listing pics before updating to 4.3.  Can I get 4.2 back please?

Wont start now with 4.3.0 update. The update from 4.2.0 took nearly 30 minutes, for such a small upgrade file. It did work straight after the update but now wont startup. Stcuk on the Splash Screen. C'Mon Skylum get your act together. Great propduct but this is not funny. Need to get some Edits done quickly now and I cant do it. Not Happy Jan! 

Im on an 9th Gen i7, 32gb Ram with RTX2060 on M2 SSD's.

Please get this Fixed ASAP!!

Przemysław Wiktorczyk

Ember Lighter in my case (I checked the same) not working.

- FIXED LUMINAR 4.3.0 NOT OPENING - FOLLOW BELOW PROCESS

Download the Full Offline Installer here https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline.exe?_ga=2.42867237.187272865.1595042578-1722783669.1595042578

- Uninstall Luminar 4.3.0

- Run CCleaner and clean Registry

- Restart your Computer

- Install the Offline Installer 4.3.0

- Luminar 4.3.0 Will now Open up and work Properly

Przemysław Wiktorczyk

I did like you wrote. Also I uninstalled avast. Not working in my case.

Steve Daggar

have tried uninstall, clean registry with cccleaner, remove luminar from %%appdata%% & rename catalog file, install as admin from offline installer with kaspersky paused & the splash screen still hangs on launch

Steve Daggar

what we need to hear from Skylum is that they recognise there is an issue and they are working on a fix

Steve Daggar

tried something different, unticked install plugin for photoshop & Lightroom during install. No difference. Launch still hangs

Steve Daggar

Przemysław Wiktorczyk 4.2 works fine for me

Przemysław Wiktorczyk

I found offline installation of 4.2, but a real 4.2 

Steve Daggar

fantastic. spoke too soon about 4.2 working. After following support advice to try delete Luminar from appdata, now after installing 4.2 again from offline installer, it is hanging on launch. this is just getting better and better

Steve Daggar

got 4.2 running again. I copied the files I had backed up from appdata/luminar4 before deleting, back into appdata/luminar4, launched 4.2 again and it started

Andrew Maunder

Thanks for the 4.2 installer.

Unfortunately I can't get this to work either. I have uninstalled, installed 4.2, copied the old backed up contents of the App Data\Roaming\Luminar 4 back, and ran as administrator. I get the old 4.2 splash screen, but then the message "Database opening failed", and it shuts down.

Andrew Maunder

Ok, it seems that the solution to the database problem is to delete the Luminar Catalog, then you get the option to create a new one. What a kerfuffle!

Robin Muir

Przemysław Wiktorczyk Thank you for that link to the proper 4.2. When you uninstall 4.3 and re-install 4.2 in its place, you may get the database opening failed error (I did). As Andrew Maunder says, the solution is to delete the Luminar Catalog (Unless you have a ton of your own things in there, in which case, just rename the folder. Instructions in this thread:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360007734900-Lumirnar-4-2-ugraded-database-error-problem

4.2 is working perfectly for me. Every time I open it, there is an 'invitation' to upgrade to 4.3. No, thanks, not until Skylum fix it. Next time they bring out an upgrade, I think I will hold off for a few weeks because it seems Skylum likes to use its customers as bug testers for what seems to me to be more like a beta releasae than a properly tested program. Not impressed with the lack of support.

Please sign in to leave a comment.