Accidental "tunnel vision" effect

Answered

Comments

12 comments

Jose Plaza

Take a look in the history for this picture (right-lower position, clock icon). May be it can help.

A possibility can be in the Lens & Geometry menu, the Lens distortion slider, but it should not create the black vignette. The Vignette menu can create this effect, but I think it is not so strong ...

I would try to move the Lens distortion slider and see if it helps.

Is your picture a RAW file?. Maybe the program has not automated correction for your camera yet..

Comment actions Permalink
    David Goldman

Thanks Jose!

I couldn't remove it using either Lens Distortion or Vignette menus. The history panel doesn't show anything other than sky augmentation and replacements. 

This seemed to occur on quite a few images by simply hovering over the AI Image Enhancer look near the bottom left. I saw it happen several times and I was sure I didn't click on anything.

The image is a RAW file from a Sony RX100 Mk VII. I have opened quite a few RAW files from this camera in Luminar but only some of them were affected this way.

Here's a screenshot of the history panel. Clicking "Original" at the top right of the history menu removed the sky replacements and augmentation, but that's it. 

Tony Collins

Are all images showing that effect at the wide angle range of the lens?

David Goldman

Tony,

I believe that is the case. When I am zoomed all the way out it appears I see that effect and when I'm zoomed in a bit, it goes away. I'm going to go out now and take some pictures and see if that's the case.

If so, what's the solution?

Thanks!

David Goldman

here are two jpgs exported from the same RAW file. The first from Luminar and the second from Lightroom. Both were taken at the widest lens setting and there are no enhancements applied to either. Now that I see them side by side I can tell that if the Luminar one was cropped to the same aspect ratio as the LR one, they'd be approximately the same. Is there a way to have Luminar automatically correct for this?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I'm new to photography as well as Luminar.

Helena Carter

Hi guys,

The thing is that Luminar 4 uses a pure RAW converter. It shows more information than any other photo processor. These black angles shown on the RAW photo appear due to the optic peculiarity of the lens structure. 

There are Lens and Perspective Correction tools in Canvas Tab > Lens and Geometry, so you can fix your photo manually. The only reason you do not see these black angles in Photoshop or Lightroom is due to the automatic Lens Correction.

David Goldman

Thanks, I found I could also use the crop tool to fix them. But I don't see a way to batch repair them. Is there a way to do that?

David Goldman

After looking through the support forum it appears this issue has been going on for quite some time. Ticking the auto lens correction box helps, but it doesn't always solve the problem completely. And while the software is reasonably priced I am hesitant to purchase it given this issue. Can you say this is something that is currently being addressed? And is htere a fix in the near future?

If this problem was solved I would purchase this immediately but I just don't know if I can justify it while this problem persists.

Thank you.

Kate Williams

Hi David,

Could you please send us the photo sample where the lens correction is not fixed by the checkbox completely? We'll test it on our end, check our devs' logs, and advise you regarding the status. 

Please contact us at https://skylum.com/support. 

Here's how you can send us the file: 

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

David Goldman

Thank you Kate. I have send the file via WeTransfer and emailed a support request. I selected "Other" as the support category if that makes a difference.

Looking forward to hearing back!

Kate Williams

Thank you, David! 

One of our agents will get back to you as soon as possible. 

David Goldman

I'd like to state on this public forum that I did hear back VERY quickly and while the problem was not completely resolved, they seem to be genuinely concerned and trying to help me. To me, this is a great selling point!

Please sign in to leave a comment.