Do not install Luminar 4.3 on Windows it works once and then you need to reboot to get it to open again

Answered

Comments

6 comments

Mike Hardisty

Worked fine for me. I must just have been lucky because I see a lot of people have been having problems

Comment actions Permalink
    Kate Williams

Hi David,

I'm truly sorry for the fact that you are facing this difficulty. We hope to provide a permanent solution to this issue as soon as possible. Currently, we're looking for the best way to overcome it. 

Moreover, I'd highly appreciate it if you could refrain from creating multiple posts dedicated to the same issue as  We're monitoring community posts and comments and always get back to you as soon as it's possible. 

Could you also confirm that you've allowed Luminar 4 trough your security software? That is, antivirus, firewall, and Windows Security? It's important to check all of them. 

Here's how to add a firewall exception: https://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/computer-security/how-to-allow-firewall-exceptions-on-your-windows-10-laptop/ 

Here's how to add an exclusion to Windows security: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028485/windows-10-add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security 

Please also try to run Luminar in Compatibility mode:

1. Right-click on the Luminar icon.
    2. Go to Properties > Compatibility.
    3. Enable 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8' checkbox.
    4. Press 'Ok'.

Please also get back to us at support@skylum.com and provide the following data. It will help us to investigate the issue.

1. Please provide us with logs from the following folder:

• Press the Windows logo key + R.
    • Type %appdata%\Luminar 4\mipl\Logs in the dialog box that opens and press Enter on your keyboard.

2. Please also perform the following:

1. Download this application: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4zp53c0fj7cjp5/ViewHID%20%28new%29.exe?dl=0
    2. Launch it.
    3. Send us a screenshot of the window that opens. If you see HID1 and HID2 codes, please copy them from the application's window and send them to us as well.

3. Please also send us event logs:

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your reply to this email.

Here is the video tutorial on how to collect logshttps://www.loom.com/share/d7d8325cb83b4539a0a2dae3ebf286f6 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Richard

Installed fine for me too - no issues at all. Windows 10.

Maybe ditch mcafee and try windows security?

Al Popil

4.3 installed fine Saturday. Full program opens today (Monday) on Windows 10 as plugin in Photoshop today, it doesn't work.

Al Popil

Well, just tried opening the full program again, I get the splash screen and the revolving circle icon of doom. Program toast.

B Vc

David & all ( + particularly Kate) here is a workaround to avoid rebooting Windows.

This has worked for me ever since first installing Luminar 4 where freezes and crashes have been and still are a frequent occurrence. BTW They remain a "feature" of 4.3 where I am getting freezes and crashes at about an average of 30 min intervals while using the software. Tools like Erase and Clone & Stamp are ones I use frequently that cause such problems,  others may be as bad I just don't use them much also other commonly used tools also have such issues but less frequently.

While I have experienced issues with lost edits at various times (sometimes completely lost not just showing as lost edits in the library) I have never thought this was attributable to the process I describe below. However "your mileage may vary" so I take no responsibility if anything or everything goes wrong. I also strongly suggest you have a recent database backup at all times, Personally, I don't rely on the automatic process in Luminar.

Skylum, going back to some sort of Sidecar file would be invaluable so that at least individual photo edits are retrievable! as many other users have suggested and requested previously.

It appears that when Luminar 4 crashes or freezes and you shut it down from the "Close window red X, either on the open window or through the Tool Bar popup window, Luminar 4 is still running in the background. Open the Windows Task Manager and find luminar.exe under the Processes or Details tabs. (If you cant see the tabs click the More Details option in the bottom left corner of Task Manager) .If you can't see luminar.exe in the list then a reboot is probably the only option

Right click and end the process (or highlight and hit Delete key) and you should be good to restart Luminar 4 without a reboot.

Finally a reboot of Windows on a fairly regular basis generally helps to keep things running more smoothly but has no noticeable affect on the frequency of Luminar 4 freezing or crashing for me.

Barry

Please sign in to leave a comment.